View Full Version : Moving Companies

ctchandler
08-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Well, I've lived in the same home for 40 years but it's time to head out to the "old folks" home. It could be several months because I'm on a waiting list. I am looking for recommendations/comments (good and bad) to assist me in moving twelve miles to a small independent living "cottage" in Midwest City. I am physically handicapped (and many, including my sons say senile as well) so I want it packed and moved. I will handle the unpacking. I'm not looking for the cheapest, just a good move at a fair price. I have called two movers and the prices are comparable so I thought If I had some feedback from any of you that have used movers, it would help me make a decision.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
C. T.

stick47
08-16-2014, 01:29 PM
We had great service with Apple Movers CT. They're price came in 1/3 less than 2 other bids and the service couldn't have been better. Apple Movers moving Oklahoma (http://www.applemovers.org/)

kevinpate
08-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Little Guys in Norman would be worth a call. (405) 563-9594

Mel
08-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Good luck on your move and new home ctc, my boys think I am more insane than senile.

ljbab728
08-16-2014, 07:50 PM
ct, from what I see in your posts you are further from senile than most much younger posters here. :D

PennyQuilts
08-17-2014, 05:39 AM
Congrats on the next adventure, man.

kevinpate
08-17-2014, 06:28 AM
When we get older we do not get senile. That's a misconception of the young.

As we age, we learn to treasure our memories ... so we lock them away in a chest, bury them deep, and draw a map that only the maker knows the key. That way no one can ever steal the memories away.

That's not senility. That's being a pirate. Everyone should aspire to be a good pirate.

flintysooner
08-17-2014, 06:53 AM
CT - I don't have a recommendation for a mover but I just finished 2 books by Daniel Friedman that I very much enjoyed and thought I'd mention. Here is his blog: http://danieljfriedman.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-07-24T22:30:00-04:00&max-results=9&m=1

betts
08-17-2014, 07:18 AM
I use Righte Moves.(632-9997). I like them and think they do a good job for a reasonable price.

ahlokc
08-17-2014, 07:55 AM
I used Little Guys Movers when I moved into my apartment. I would highly recommend them.

ctchandler
08-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks friends,
With the three you have mentioned and the two I have been checking out, that's a nice variety. The two that I called weren't recommended, just a random search that I made, so I believe I will choose from one of the three you recommended. Personal experience means a lot.
Again, Thanks,
C. T.

ctchandler
08-17-2014, 11:35 AM
PQ,
Thanks! It's going to be a little strange but I'm looking forward to it. No maintenance, landscaping, and I don't even have to change a light bulb (and believe me, I struggle to do that). I can cook if I want or eat in their dining room as well as the fact that there are more restaurants within a three mile radius than I currently have in a ten mile radius. And where I live now, delivery is non-existent. I hate to leave my neighbors and the wildlife (I'm on five acres), but I just can't take care of this place anymore. I'm going to have to get used to half the space and no garage but that's ok.
C. T.
Congrats on the next adventure, man.

Easy180
08-17-2014, 12:11 PM
We used College Hunks movers twice last year and both crews were excellent. The movers worked fast, were careful with our stuff and easily beat the times on their estimates.

Bellaboo
08-17-2014, 01:15 PM
ct, from what I see in your posts you are further from senile than most much younger posters here. :D

I've know CT since 1987, and he has always been a respectable, intelligent and very well thought of man. Good Luck CT.

ctchandler
08-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Bellaboo,
Are you my mother? Probably not, she never was that complimentary. Thanks friend, except for six months in Edmond after discharge from the Navy, I have always lived in Oklahoma City, so Midwest City is quite a change for me. Funny thing though, it's only four miles further away from where we worked than I am now, and it's actually less time according to Google maps.
C. T.
I've know CT since 1987, and he has always been a respectable, intelligent and very well thought of man. Good Luck CT.

Urbanized
08-17-2014, 06:36 PM
CT, I'm a little bit sad to know that I won't have a chance to do another backflip off of your trampoline into your swimming pool with your boys. But considering I haven't done so in about 25 years, and in fact probably couldn't even if I tried, I'll have to learn to be at peace with it no longer being an option. Of course you told me the trampoline was lost in a storm anyway...

Either way I'm glad to hear you'll be moving to a place where you can spend more time relaxing and less time keeping up with that house and acreage. Sounds like you've got a good plan, and I wish you luck.

zookeeper
08-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Good luck C.T.! Surely you'll have good internet service? You have to stay in touch with all your old Hertz friends and, of course, all of us at OKCtalk.
Change is so often a good thing...here's my hope that it is for you!

ctchandler
08-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Zookeeper,
I would never give up internet. Cox basic is free with all the channels I want, and internet service is available for a fee, so, I will add it and pay the fee. They do have wi-fi available in the lobby and dining area for those that don't want to pay extra, but I want (need?) it in my own home. Even though I have a Macbook, and could go to the lobby or dining area, I'm not a huge fan of laptops and it was primarily for travel and I like my 27" IMac screen too much to give it up.
C. T.
Good luck C.T.! Surely you'll have good internet service? You have to stay in touch with all your old Hertz friends and, of course, all of us at OKCtalk.
Change is so often a good thing...here's my hope that it is for you!

ctchandler
11-27-2015, 03:58 PM
After sixteen+ months it looks like I'm finally moving. I was notified last week that they have a cottage that will be available in December/January, depending on the current occupant. Now I have to get serious again and look over the companies you folks have recommended.
Thanks,
C. T.

okatty
11-30-2015, 05:56 PM
After sixteen+ months it looks like I'm finally moving. I was notified last week that they have a cottage that will be available in December/January, depending on the current occupant. Now I have to get serious again and look over the companies you folks have recommended.
Thanks,
C. T.

I join with the other well wishers, C.T. in hoping this goes well for you. Always enjoy your insight and comments on things. Best wishes to you!
Bob Frantz ran a moving company and moved us several times which is the good news...bad news is last time was 97 (ha). I did a search and looks to still be in the biz - 752-1993. Best of luck!

Thomas Vu
11-30-2015, 08:09 PM
I had a bad experience with Little Guys, but I hope I'm more of an exception.

ctchandler
12-03-2015, 08:56 AM
I join with the other well wishers, C.T. in hoping this goes well for you. Always enjoy your insight and comments on things. Best wishes to you!
Bob Frantz ran a moving company and moved us several times which is the good news...bad news is last time was 97 (ha). I did a search and looks to still be in the biz - 752-1993. Best of luck!

Okatty,
What is the name of his company? His number is no longer in service. Maybe he has retired?
C. T.

FighttheGoodFight
12-03-2015, 09:04 AM
I had a good experience with College Hunks Moving (I know. the name...). Moved out of a 15th floor apartment to Norman. Only cost 400 bucks which was considerably lower than the four other companies I called.

Best of luck on your move! Be safe!