View Full Version : Small Houses, Zoning and the Lack Thereof

bradh
08-16-2014, 09:30 AM
This video I found great because because being from Houston the lack of zoning laws was always part of a sense of pride in some weird way for native Houstonians. This puts an interesting spin on it. I'm sure this will be blasted by 99% of this forum :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-zESacteu4&feature=youtu.be

BBatesokc
08-16-2014, 12:49 PM
I've always thought 'tiny houses' were pretty cool. I toured a couple in Austin. The biggest problems I see with them is cost (many cost the same or more per square feet as a traditional home), longterm sustainability and curb appeal (I've known people who opted to live in studio apartments and more often than not they were a huge mess inside).

I think a small neighborhood of these with a very good HOA would be an interesting concept.

The one's I've seen that you can buy always seemed to be $35,000-$60,000+ and I think that's a bit crazy IMO when I can buy a full size fixer upper in that price range and have a lot more square footage and probably a better built house.

Mel
08-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Wouldn't be too bad for a single person with a pet. I couldn't have my bed that high though. I have that problem where your body does not lock down when you dream. Dude should not have his booze where the sunlight hits it.

adaniel
08-16-2014, 08:09 PM
I have followed the tiny house movement as well. Its a really interesting concept and something I think cities should start looking into as housing becomes increasingly unaffordable.

Some of these houses are glorified RVs but some are increasingly stylish and roomy. I'll place a video that I saw that's the best yet IMO. BBates, I think the higher costs result from the fact that a small home will simply not have the same economy of scale benefit a larger structure will have. At $60k, its still cheaper than a studio condo in a lot of large cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSzgh3D7-Q0&list=UUt7lp-qYRF2fpBcw96SN96g

As far as the posted video, I've always understood that the whole "no zoning laws" in Houston was in name only. There's still a lot of piecemeal approaches that are no different than a typical zoning code. Lots of deed restrictions, covenants, design districts, HOA's, etc. I imagine that tiny houses are likely illegal in the vast majority of Houston neighborhoods.

mugofbeer
08-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but there are droves of small houses in OKC just begging to be bought and renovated.

RadicalModerate
08-17-2014, 12:36 AM
So . . . what if a whole lot of tiny houses . . . were properly stacked atop one another with all currently proper engineering, public safety and civic standards in place . . . in a vertical--rather than horizontal--configuration . . . accompanied by some nice sidewalks/park space/parking lots along with some accommodating, easily accessible retail space surrounding them? (and less grass to water =)

Something like this was tried, I think, about two centuries ago.
I think they called them, originally, "tenements."

Later, I seem to recall they were called "projects".

By the folks who didn't have to live there and did most of the design and approval process.
Although "they" didn't call it that at the time.

I'm fairly confident that Lucy, Desi, Ethel, Fred, and The Entire Cast of The Honeymooners lived in The Transition Zone between the Eras of Housing.
The Flintstones, on the other hand, lived in StoneAgeSuburbia.

And they liked it.

(Except, of course, for Cary Grant and Myrna Loy in "The Blandings Build a DreamHouse")

Ever been to Mesa Verde?
Those were some fairly small houses.
Still, for at least awhile, it was a community and apparently no one complained.

PennyQuilts
08-17-2014, 05:36 AM
I think they're adorable but they look way overpriced, to me. I get downsizing but these look pretty uncomfortable and the upstairs lofts on many of them wouldn't work for many frail people. I think they make a lot of sense on a lot with, say, your parents or grown children but there are much cheaper alternatives.

My great grandmother has a tiny little house behind my grandmother's house which suited her to a tee but even it was all one level and more comfortable - but it was still tiny. One bedroom houses are perfect for elderly who want their own place, privacy and safety on their kids' property.

BBatesokc
08-17-2014, 06:27 AM
I'm sure the videos exist, but it seems the ones I always see are the 'here is our in-progress house we haven't actually lived in yet' or 'this is our tiddy'd up and staged house we're actually not living in yet' sort of videos. I want to see several of 'so, this is how the homes look after 3 years of primary residence and this is how I kept from going insane after living here for several years.......'

I've seen a few where the people have been living in the tiny home for awhile, but the residents always fit the pre-conceived stereotype I had for someone who could do it - which ain't the general public.

To me these micro tiny houses (100-250 square feet) are a novelty and would only work for a tiny portion of the population.

I do think small houses in the 500-800 square foot range are much more realistic for one or two people. But, like RM pointed out, that's not a new concept and not overly popular.

In reality, my wife and I only 'live' in about 500 square feet of our last two homes. In our current home we have an entire upstairs we literally never go into.

We will be constructing a detached 3-4 car shop/garage next year on our property and we have been talking about adding a small apartment about 300-500 square feet so these videos have been giving us some design ideas.

We have been getting most of our design ideas from visits to IKEA - I always like to go inside their tiny studio setups in the store.

kevinpate
08-17-2014, 06:32 AM
Maybe I'm missing something but there are droves of small houses in OKC just begging to be bought and renovated.

In this context, small is is the < 300 square feet realm, and often < 200 square feet. Think living in a 10*16 or 12*16 but containing living area, bathroom, sleeping space and functional kitchen area.

kevinpate
08-17-2014, 06:41 AM
Brian, if you never use your upstairs, is there a feasible way to convert the upstairs to an apartment with a separate outside entrance? I know there are a lot of converted homes like that in Norman, but these are usually older homes where the lower level has also been converted.

BBatesokc
08-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Brian, if you never use your upstairs, is there a feasible way to convert the upstairs to an apartment with a separate outside entrance? I know there are a lot of converted homes like that in Norman, but these are usually older homes where the lower level has also been converted.

The upstairs is a large bedroom with a full bath and a large bonus room with a walking attic. Both have sliding doors to a balcony over looking the back. We are having a new patio deck constructed next month and are currently looking for a metal spiral staircase to go from the patio to the upstairs balcony. This would then give a dedicated separate entrance to the upstairs. We might do the VRBO and/or Air-BnB thing with the upstairs and turn the bonus room into a living room with a small kitchen.

rezman
08-17-2014, 03:15 PM
When I was in my 20's and single, I lived comfortably in a 500 sq ft house for 9 years. There are lots of people around here, and around the country who live long term in travel trailers. Many in RV parks. This concept wouldn't be much different.

AP
08-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Have any of you seen Ross Chapin's tiny house communities. I think it would be pretty cool to have one in OKC.

Edit: I think he actually calls the pocket neighborhoods.

ctchandler
08-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Rezman,
Funny, I live alone, a widower and I'm trying to squeeze forty years into an 825 square foot independent living cottage and it ain't easy. I know, I could get by with less but it's tough when I am moving from a three bedroom to a one bedroom with no dining room and no garage.
C. T.
When I was in my 20's and single, I lived comfortably in a 500 sq ft house for 9 years. There are lots of people around here, and around the country who live long term in travel trailers. Many in RV parks. This concept wouldn't be much different.

kevinpate
08-17-2014, 07:24 PM
I can relate CT. My grown youngin's have dropped more than one hint that if we were to start the culling process now it might be easier down the road. Packrats that my lovely and I can be .... they ain't really wrong.

Mel
08-17-2014, 07:46 PM
We have been in this house since June 1980. Even thinking of moving scares me. I think we might have just a wee bit of hoarders in our blood.

rezman
08-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Rezman,
Funny, I live alone, a widower and I'm trying to squeeze forty years into an 825 square foot independent living cottage and it ain't easy. I know, I could get by with less but it's tough when I am moving from a three bedroom to a one bedroom with no dining room and no garage.
C. T.

C.T., that was back when I didn't have much and didn't need much. But after mariage and raising a family, I can look froward from that point and see the square footage of each place I've lived since then increase, and then slightly decrease to where we are now. I agree, downsizing to 825 sq ft would be tough now. And no garage?... Are you kidding?

ctchandler
08-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Rezman,
There aren't very many retirement/assisted living facilities with garages. I did like one I visited but it was two hundred a month more for the garage. My car is tough, it can handle living outside. And as fas as a place to tinker around, with my health, that's not going to happen anyway, so, I really don't need a garage. Psychologically, I will miss it, practically, it's no big deal.
C. T.
C.T., that was back when I didn't have much and didn't need much. But after mariage and raising a family, I can look froward from that point and see the square footage of each place I've lived since then increase, and then slightly decrease to where we are now. I agree, downsizing to 825 sq ft would be tough now. And no garage?... Are you kidding?

PennyQuilts
08-18-2014, 10:15 AM
I can relate CT. My grown youngin's have dropped more than one hint that if we were to start the culling process now it might be easier down the road. Packrats that my lovely and I can be .... they ain't really wrong.

I GOTTA get rid of some fabric. My only hope is that I either chuck it (not happening) or outlive my husband (who will deal with it) because if my kids see all this stuff, it will tarnish their memory of a sane mother.

PennyQuilts
08-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Rezman,
There aren't very many retirement/assisted living facilities with garages. I did like one I visited but it was two hundred a month more for the garage. My car is tough, it can handle living outside. And as fas as a place to tinker around, with my health, that's not going to happen anyway, so, I really don't need a garage. Psychologically, I will miss it, practically, it's no big deal.
C. T.
I wonder if they try to discourage driving?

ctchandler
08-18-2014, 11:29 AM
PQ,
Actually, no, I will have a reserved parking space right in front of my cottage. I do believe that there isn't a lot of demand for garages because a lot of the folks that move into these retirement facilities don't drive anymore. They just utilize the facilities limo/van/bus to take them shopping or to doctor appointments.
C. T.
I wonder if they try to discourage driving?

rezman
08-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Rezman,
C. T.

Yeah, I meant that kind of tongue in cheek. You know how we guys like our toys. If I were to down size that much, I'm not sure where I would start except by going back to the basics. I hope it works out well for you.

ctchandler
08-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Rezman,
Maybe it was "tongue in cheek", but I understand it all too well. The bedroom and living area is as large as my current home, but there's no dining room, just an area between the living room and kitchen for a dinette. I'm actually moving all of my bedroom furniture and living room furniture, plus the two tvs. I'm going to have to crowd the living room a little bit with my roll top desk and my computer desk, but I think everything I really want to take will fit. As much as I will miss my two spare bedrooms, I realize they are a great place to accumulate "stuff" (junk by any other name...).
C. T.
Yeah, I meant that kind of tongue in cheek. You know how we guys like our toys. If I were to down size that much, I'm not sure where I would start except by going back to the basics. I hope it works out well for you.

BBatesokc
08-21-2014, 07:36 AM
I wonder if there is a doable business model where a person was to buy several of these tiny homes (the one's based on a mobile/trailor platform) and then lease them out to people considering living in one of these full-time.

You bring it out to the customer, on their land, and they lease it for say 6 months to 2 years and 'try it out first' before sinking $30,000-$50,000 into one of these things that probably has very low resale value.

Just a passing thought.......

White Peacock
08-21-2014, 01:26 PM
I love the tiny house trend, and was obsessed with it for a while until reality kicked in and I realized it was a no-go for a family of three with a house full of pets and a large book collection. I would like to knock down the crappy shed in the backyard and replace it with a fully finished tiny home to serve as an extra office or guest space, at some point.

However, getting into the tiny house mindset has altered the way I look at my own home; I appreciate every square inch of it much more now. It's just under 1600 square feet, which when I bought it I thought was fantastic, but gradually began thinking it was too cramped. Didn't help when my wife had a study group over at the house and one of her snobby study partners said something to the effect of "I guess everybody has to start somewhere." What a twat!! Regardless, spending time picturing how I'd arrange my life in a tiny house has shifted my mind toward how to effectively make use of the space in my existing home without clutter, and to not feel like a failure for only affording a mere 1575sf of living space.

PennyQuilts
08-21-2014, 09:14 PM
I love the tiny house trend, and was obsessed with it for a while until reality kicked in and I realized it was a no-go for a family of three with a house full of pets and a large book collection. I would like to knock down the crappy shed in the backyard and replace it with a fully finished tiny home to serve as an extra office or guest space, at some point.

However, getting into the tiny house mindset has altered the way I look at my own home; I appreciate every square inch of it much more now. It's just under 1600 square feet, which when I bought it I thought was fantastic, but gradually began thinking it was too cramped. Didn't help when my wife had a study group over at the house and one of her snobby study partners said something to the effect of "I guess everybody has to start somewhere." What a twat!! Regardless, spending time picturing how I'd arrange my life in a tiny house has shifted my mind toward how to effectively make use of the space in my existing home without clutter, and to not feel like a failure for only affording a mere 1575sf of living space.
Don't let the twat get under your skin - she's just behind the times and still thinks ostentatious energy eating McMansions are the goal. Nothing wrong with a reasonable sized house intended to be lived in rather than be a show home or a place to store your junk. With teens, it is nice to have separate living spaces but most of us end up using the kitchen, a den, a hobby area (garage or sewing room?) and a bedroom/bath. Nice to have the other rooms but those I just mentioned actually get used. We also use our patio all the time, weather permitting, and that might include being wrapped up in longjohns under a quilt with my coffee (lovely image, I know). No matter the size of the house, you can head outdoors and feel like you have a mansion.

I've been researching two man tents and happened upon the truck/SUV tents. New to me but it looked like an interesting option for someone who didn't mind REALLY downsizing (keeping with the tiny house theme). Honestly, some of those tents are as big as a tiny house and way more affordable if you just wanted to see how you liked living the turtle life.

You are so smart to buy what you can afford. Never let anyone make you do something so foolish as to buy a bigger house than you can afford. I know a lot of people in big houses who have impoverished themselves to do it. Insanity.

White Peacock
08-27-2014, 01:06 PM
Don't let the twat get under your skin - she's just behind the times and still thinks ostentatious energy eating McMansions are the goal. Nothing wrong with a reasonable sized house intended to be lived in rather than be a show home or a place to store your junk. With teens, it is nice to have separate living spaces but most of us end up using the kitchen, a den, a hobby area (garage or sewing room?) and a bedroom/bath. Nice to have the other rooms but those I just mentioned actually get used. We also use our patio all the time, weather permitting, and that might include being wrapped up in longjohns under a quilt with my coffee (lovely image, I know). No matter the size of the house, you can head outdoors and feel like you have a mansion.

I've been researching two man tents and happened upon the truck/SUV tents. New to me but it looked like an interesting option for someone who didn't mind REALLY downsizing (keeping with the tiny house theme). Honestly, some of those tents are as big as a tiny house and way more affordable if you just wanted to see how you liked living the turtle life.

You are so smart to buy what you can afford. Never let anyone make you do something so foolish as to buy a bigger house than you can afford. I know a lot of people in big houses who have impoverished themselves to do it. Insanity.

Oh yeah, it's definitely a simple mindset that defaults to, and remains with, "bigger is better." As I see it, my house is bigger and has cooler features than the house I grew up in, so I'm doing alright. And I am able to afford it, which is the most important thing. When my wife gets her nursing degree and gets a job (undoubtedly making a lot more than I make) we may upgrade, or we may put money into perfecting the current house. If we have another kid, we may have to do the former, as we have just enough square footage to be ideal for a family of three. Can definitely make do, happily, with what we've got though.

My wife and I weren't very happy with the snobby suggestion that this great house we'd just bought was a mere starter. It's an especially odd suggestion considering it was built in 1960, and we're the second owners -- this couple moved into the house when it was brand new, raised their family there, and died as its owners, yet somehow the house is now only good enough to be a starter.

Any bigger and I couldn't afford the damned electric bill.

Got any links to the SUV tents you mentioned?

PennyQuilts
08-27-2014, 02:11 PM
I could find you the links but you're probably better off in your house!!!! :)

We bought our first house when I was 19. It was about the size of yours. We converted the single car garage and added a den to the back (ourselves) about 7-8 years later. Ended up raising three kids, there.

silvergrove
08-27-2014, 03:27 PM
I'm subscribed to a subreddit on TinyHouses (TinyHouses: a place for people interested in small or tiny houses (http://www.reddit.com/r/tinyhouses)). Although it may not necessarily be cheaper in some areas, at least the maintenance would be cheaper compared to a McMansion.

Being relatively young, I think this is a common trend many my age who are looking for small reasonable homes (<1500 sqft).

White Peacock
08-27-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm subscribed to a subreddit on TinyHouses (TinyHouses: a place for people interested in small or tiny houses (http://www.reddit.com/r/tinyhouses)). Although it may not necessarily be cheaper in some areas, at least the maintenance would be cheaper compared to a McMansion.

Being relatively young, I think this is a common trend many my age who are looking for small reasonable homes (<1500 sqft).

I subscribe to that sub too.

If you live on the West Coast, or any other area where housing prices hurt to look at, then spending upwards of $60k on a tiny house is a dream come true*. But in OKC, that's barely less than you could get many sub-1000sf fixers that come with their own city lot, and the latter would probably be a much wiser investment.

*given the trend of <200sf houses being built on wheels to avoid code violations, people that buy them still have to worry about where to park them, and from what I've seen, they often end up being bums by parking on somebody else's property, thus making them in reality not any more self-actualized as home owners than they would be had they stayed at mom's house.

bluedogok
08-27-2014, 08:16 PM
I am not a fan of the tiny houses for myself but I need a bigger garage than I do house. One thing that we are considering (depending upon the type of lot/land we buy) is building in a modular way with modules around an open courtyard. If we needed a small residence for one of my parents (my father-in-law passed away last year, never knew my mother-in-law as we met after she passed) we would build an accessible living module. That way everything is functional if we need to add on. Some of the lots have a lot of terrain change (especially in the Foothills) so that would be a bit more difficult to achieve.

Urbanized
08-28-2014, 08:47 AM
I'm intrigued by tiny houses not because of affordability but because they force a lifestyle change that I desire. My life, like that of many (most?) Americans is dominated by an unconscious society-driven need to acquire, store and maintain...stuff. Most of this stuff is completely unimportant, and yet it creeps into your life and steals time, space and financial resources. Living in a tiny house would be a daily exercise in self-discipline.