View Full Version : Arizona State Football Player Comes Out

ljbab728
08-13-2014, 09:33 PM
Chip Sarafin is evidently the first active NCAA major college football player to come out.

Edward 'Chip' Sarafin of Arizona State Sun Devils announces he is gay - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11349933/edward-chip-sarafin-arizona-state-sun-devils-announces-gay)

I think we are rapidly moving towards to day that this won't even be a story.

mugofbeer
08-13-2014, 09:37 PM
It shouldn't be now. Big deal.

Cocaine
08-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Yeah it really shouldn't be a story no one cares.

PennyQuilts
08-15-2014, 07:30 PM
This is a story? :)

Plutonic Panda
08-16-2014, 02:41 AM
Yeah it really shouldn't be a story no one cares.oh trust me, there are people that care. You better a white, employed, straight, BMW or Ranger owner, husband of a soccer mom who drives a Toyota Sequoia or minivan, who has weekend plans to go fishing with the family if you live in Edmond or else you're doing something wrong with your life sunny.

OK, that was harsh stereotype about Edmond and I was kidding....... Mostly

also, I do agree with you

Plutonic Panda
08-16-2014, 02:43 AM
I wonder why they don't make news stories out of football players who come out as straight....

dankrutka
08-16-2014, 03:11 AM
Did you all realize that this guy is the first openly gay D1 football player? Of course, this is a story. There are still huge numbers of people in this country who are bigoted towards gay people. Lots of gay athletes stay in the closet because of the fear of the backlash by team members, family members, and society in general. Saying this isn't a story is naive and shows a lack of understanding of the historical shift taking place around this issue currently (or maybe several of you were just speaking from your perspective... at least hopefully). However, I agree, that hopefully it won't be a story for much longer.

mugofbeer
08-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Again, why is the fact this guy likes other guys relevant to playing football? In football terms, if he can play then so what? The goal is to win the game.

ljbab728
08-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Again, why is the fact this guy likes other guys relevant to playing football? In football terms, if he can play then so what? The goal is to win the game.

I don't recall anyone saying that it is relevant to football. It is relevant to changes in the culture of sports, however

adaniel
08-16-2014, 07:40 PM
It' obviously relevant enough for people to take the time out to click on this link, sign in, and type out that this is not relevant :rolleyes:

mugofbeer
08-16-2014, 09:30 PM
It' obviously relevant enough for people to take the time out to click on this link, sign in, and type out that this is not relevant :rolleyes:

Got me! :)

Laramie
08-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Locker rooms have always been a topic of discussion. There are those who are uncomfortable with the presence of female reporters, those who are gay or suspected of being gay. A true man doesn't have problems or concerns with either.

As a member of a local exercise establishment, I'm more concerned with the sanitation of the equipment and facilities .

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif

PennyQuilts
08-17-2014, 05:20 AM
I am interested in what some people will get uptight about once they realize the world has moved on from their particular fixation. This is news of a sort but more along the lines of a new high jump record. Most of us just shrug and say, "Noted." Can the man play ball is the more interesting question.

Bullbear
08-17-2014, 07:45 AM
Its news until the country as a whole gets over it and judges people on merit and character and not sexual orientation. each time someone comes out in an org that hasn't embraced people in the past it gets a little bit better for others. Good for him and good for his team that he has been out to them for a year and it hasn't been an issue. unlike when michael Sam came out and many NFL players showed their ignorance and then many in this fine country did the same with outrage over this and that. I will be happy when it isn't news worthy.

dankrutka
08-17-2014, 01:32 PM
I am interested in what some people will get uptight about once they realize the world has moved on from their particular fixation. This is news of a sort but more along the lines of a new high jump record. Most of us just shrug and say, "Noted." Can the man play ball is the more interesting question.

I respectfully disagree. Sports is not just about sports. Sports often can highlight many of the things that are important about living in this world with other people. Sports can help address questions like, how should we treat people? Who should be included? How much should we help others? And on and on. Just watch a few 30 for 30s, or even just SportsCenter or Outside the Lines, and you'll see that sports is as much about ethics, morals, and ideas as much as it as about competition. The experiences and stories of Jackie Robinson, U.S. women's soccer (and Title IX in general), and now people like Michael Sam and Chip Sarafin tell a lot about who we are as individuals and a society. So, yeah, I disagree that this case lacks significance beyond whether the guy can play.

Bunty
08-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Don't see why he needed to come out, unless he had a male lover.

dankrutka
08-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Don't see why he needed to come out, unless he had a male lover.

Huh? Well, he's gay so I'm guessing he's had a boyfriend or is looking for one just like straight people have or are looking for significant others. I guess living a secret life and lying to people didn't suit him so he had enough courage to be a trailblazer. Seems pretty simple.