View Full Version : Road Trip - Austin Texas

Brownwood
08-12-2014, 09:38 AM
We're taking a road trip to visit family in Austin, TX and looking for any interesting places to see or eat along the I-35 corridor. We're not in a hurry and will stay an afternoon and night in Ft. Worth so we will have additional time. If you know of anything weird, musical or educational along the way, please let us know.

Roger S
08-12-2014, 09:47 AM
If you like comfort food... Babe's Chicken Dinner House is where it's at. You'll find one in Sanger and one in Burleson along the I-35 corridor.

loveOKC
08-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Franklin BBQ in downtown Austin, excellent bbq but fair warning get there EARLY!!!

silvergrove
08-12-2014, 10:27 AM
We're taking a road trip to visit family in Austin, TX and looking for any interesting places to see or eat along the I-35 corridor. We're not in a hurry and will stay an afternoon and night in Ft. Worth so we will have additional time. If you know of anything weird, musical or educational along the way, please let us know.

Get kolaches in West, Texas at the Czech stop. It's between Dallas and Austin, along I-35!

Bullbear
08-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Not sure of places between here and there as I usually drive straight through.. as for places to eat in Austin.. I can suggest 24 Diner ( get the chicken and waffles and thank me later ).. Easy Tiger ( bakery and beer ) they have great house made pastrami and corned beef and sausages.. and foreign and domestic for the popovers.. Have a great time!

poe
08-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Monument Cafe in Georgetown is cool. Waterloo Records in Austin is cool. I didn't mind Iron Works BBQ in downtown Austin, either; it wasn't out of this world, but it gave me the BBQ experience. In Fort Worth, check out the improvements to Sundance Square. Pretty impressive.

Brownwood
08-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Wow!! I've been looking up the places everyone has recommended and it all looks great. I'll definitely try to get to all of these and report back. Thank you for sharing your suggestions, although I may have to go on a diet when I get back.

Roger S
08-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Franklin BBQ in downtown Austin, excellent bbq but fair warning get there EARLY!!!

Or skip the line and go to LA Barbeque or John Meuller's... Just as good, shorter lines, and walking distance from Franklin's.

Our trips to Austin usually include getting a Don Juan Taco for breakfast at Juan in a Million also.... Or if you're feeling really hungry... You can eat more than one and take the Don Juan Taco Challenge. ;+)

UrbanNebraska
08-12-2014, 07:03 PM
The Arbuckle Mountain Fried Pie shop was an awesome stop last time I went down 35.

sooner88
08-12-2014, 07:46 PM
24 Diner is exactly what I have in mind when I think of a "24-hour diner" that would fit well in OKC. You get your 24 hour restaurant, but still get quality food (over what I have in mind for diner food). Would be ecstatic if we got that.

Not sure of places between here and there as I usually drive straight through.. as for places to eat in Austin.. I can suggest 24 Diner ( get the chicken and waffles and thank me later ).. Easy Tiger ( bakery and beer ) they have great house made pastrami and corned beef and sausages.. and foreign and domestic for the popovers.. Have a great time!

Bullbear
08-12-2014, 07:55 PM
I would be thrilled .I l ok 've that place. The same guys who own it own easy tiger as well... I almost forgot another place I always go in Austin..Config Ranch. Check it out as well.

Roger S
08-13-2014, 06:01 AM
The Arbuckle Mountain Fried Pie shop was an awesome stop last time I went down 35.

Yeah, I second this. The fried pies are good.... You could also stop and tour the Bedre Chocolate Factory that the Chickasaws operate. They offer free samples and the chocolate covered Pringles are really good if you are into salty/sweet flavors.

Bullbear
08-13-2014, 08:16 AM
My phone autocorrected my last post and wont let me edit. but wanted to be sure to put here. if you get a chance this is a great place to eat in Austin as well. Contigo Ranch. http://www.contigotexas.com/austin

shawnw
08-13-2014, 08:37 AM
There's also the very large outlet mall between Austin and San Antonio if you go just a bit farther...

TexanOkie
08-13-2014, 11:58 AM
The original Hoffbrau steak house on W 6th St in downtown Austin is amazing. It's also one of the last remnants of pre-gentrified-hipster-wonderland Austin still in operation.

Brownwood
08-18-2014, 07:42 PM

We attempted to eat at Franklin BBQ but the line was insane. People were lined up hours before opening and it looked like a tailgate party with tables, chairs coolers, etc. We drove by on Sunday at about 1:00 and they were sold out, people said they waited 2-3 hours to get food. We did find out they update line status pictures on Twitter.

Brownwood
08-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I second this. The fried pies are good.... You could also stop and tour the Bedre Chocolate Factory that the Chickasaws operate. They offer free samples and the chocolate covered Pringles are really good if you are into salty/sweet flavors.

We stopped at the chocolate factory and tried the Pringles and bought a few goodies, including the chocolate soda which was "interesting." My wife said it reminded he of a chocolate dark beer because it was a little bitter. Nice place for a quick stop. The architecture of the visitor center was nice too. On a side note, we stopped by the AirDonkey zip line course a few miles away. It looks fun but you needed reservation and the cost was $75 per person.

Brownwood
08-18-2014, 07:50 PM
We went to Juan in a Million for breakfast, what a great little place. It was very reasonable and the food was really good. The tacos are truly huge and I had a hard time finishing one.

Brownwood
08-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Get kolaches in West, Texas at the Czech stop. It's between Dallas and Austin, along I-35!

I have to admit, I've never tried a Kolache, but I'm now a fan. We stopped on Friday at noon and it was crazy busy. We had their sandwiches on fresh bread and bought a dozen kolache's for the road. At only a buck each, they were a great bargain and delicious.

Brownwood
08-18-2014, 07:56 PM
If you have time to jump in the water, Barton Springs is a ton of fun.

Sid, I agree this is a great place and a lot of fun. We met some family there but didn't stay too long because of the 100 heat and sun. (small children)

Brownwood
08-18-2014, 08:04 PM
The original Hoffbrau steak house on W 6th St in downtown Austin is amazing. It's also one of the last remnants of pre-gentrified-hipster-wonderland Austin still in operation.

I didn't fully understand your statement until we arrived in Austin. It's been nearly 20 years since we spent time in Austin and I was shocked by the growth and change. What was once a hippy-like independent city is/has become a corporate monster losing it's identity. Everything seems corporate and expensive, the parks along Town Lake are shrinking, replaced with concrete, 5 Star hotels and million dollar apartments. I read Austin has nearly 20 million visitors per year and is approaching 2 million in the MSA population.

silvergrove
08-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Glad you like it, I had my first kolache there too earlier this year. Brought some home for family, it was a hit.

ljbab728
08-18-2014, 08:26 PM
You kolache lovers need to keep the Yukon Czech Festival in mind for this fall. You can certainly get your share of great kolaches there and won't have to driven nearly as far.

Roger S
08-19-2014, 07:23 AM
We stopped at the chocolate factory and tried the Pringles and bought a few goodies, including the chocolate soda which was "interesting." My wife said it reminded he of a chocolate dark beer because it was a little bitter.

Doh! I forgot to mention the chocolate soda... Glad you found it and got to try it.... I usually stop at the CTS and get one when we are coming home from a weekend at our cabin.

adaniel
08-19-2014, 11:10 AM
I didn't fully understand your statement until we arrived in Austin. It's been nearly 20 years since we spent time in Austin and I was shocked by the growth and change. What was once a hippy-like independent city is/has become a corporate monster losing it's identity. Everything seems corporate and expensive, the parks along Town Lake are shrinking, replaced with concrete, 5 Star hotels and million dollar apartments. I read Austin has nearly 20 million visitors per year and is approaching 2 million in the MSA population.

Austin is fun from a tourist perspective, but its been done as a alt/niche city for at least the past decade. The Cali transplants, trustafarians, and equity refugees have really wrecked that place. Its really no different than any other "lifestyle" metropolis in the US now. Last time I was down there I really didn't enjoy myself due to the traffic and overall expense.

If you like that laid back, hippy/artsy merged-with-Texas vibe, I can think of a lot better places than Austin now (San Antonio, parts of Ft Worth, Lakewood in Dallas, Montrose in Houston, etc.)

silvergrove
08-19-2014, 12:39 PM
You kolache lovers need to keep the Yukon Czech Festival in mind for this fall. You can certainly get your share of great kolaches there and won't have to driven nearly as far.

Grew up in Yukon, but I've never Czech it out. I will have to one day.