View Full Version : Asphalt

PennyQuilts
08-09-2014, 05:15 PM
We are about to get our driveway repaired, overlaid and sealed. Part of it is concrete but the asphalt part is in bad shape and that's what we are repairing. We are taking estimates and one puts 2 inches of overlay and is more expensive (duh) than the other, which puts on 1.5 inches.

For this area, is 1.5 inches okay? They come highly recommended.

Thanks.

rezman
08-09-2014, 06:24 PM
I would want to lnow how they are going to prep and stablize the first layer, so the overlay stays put. Whether it's a 1-1/2" or 2" overlay, the base it goes on can make a big difference.

PennyQuilts
08-09-2014, 06:52 PM
I would want to lnow how they are going to prep and stablize the first layer, so the overlay stays put. Whether it's a 1-1/2" or 2" overlay, the base it goes on can make a big difference.
I can't give you the specifics but we're comfortable with the prep from both contractors. We spoke to them at length and got similar information and explanation of what needed to be done. The biggest differences between the two was the 2 inch vs 1.5 inch. The 1.5 inch was actually more expensive but a company that has been in business for decades and also does highway work. They have an A+ rating with the BBB. The other contractor is small but has done a lot of our neighbors' driveways over a period of years and they are happy with the work. It is about a $1,500 difference but much of that includes repairing and sealing a large area around our barn that is a real mess.

Actually, the smaller contractor (2.0) charges less for the driveway with the overlay but nearly twice as much for repairing and sealing the barn area.

PennyQuilts
08-09-2014, 07:01 PM
I looked at the estimate and they were saw cutting and removing broken asphalt base and installing 4 inches of Type A base course, smooth roll and compact.

stick47
08-10-2014, 06:36 AM
Penny if you ever think you'll get an RV this would be the time to have a pad put in for it.
BTW, Our finances are a year or two away from giving consideration to an RV but I've thought about putting down the pad just for guests that bring theirs in for a visit.

kevinpate
08-10-2014, 07:28 AM
Penny, my opinion is likely worth what you are paying for it. :wink:

That noted, if the group using more asphalt is cheaper for the driveway area while using more product, it would make me wonder are they cutting corners in the base prep. If so, an extra half inch of asphalt just means a bigger, uglier mess when things turn south on a bad base.

That this group is also near double on the other project phase raises the question are they overcharging for that work to offset a deliberate dive on the driveway project, or is this phase perhaps well outside their comfort zone and thus carries an aggravation premium on their end, and perhaps a lesser result on your end.

I like bargains as much as the next person, provided the bargain is actually a bargain and not a headache in a bargain costume.

PennyQuilts
08-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Penny if you ever think you'll get an RV this would be the time to have a pad put in for it.
BTW, Our finances are a year or two away from giving consideration to an RV but I've thought about putting down the pad just for guests that bring theirs in for a visit.

Very good point. I have retired friends in Ohio who do just that. They retired to a tiny house - the original house burned down and only the kitchen, bathroom and garage remained. They converted the garage to a bedroom and den, and added a large, enclosed wraparound porch. It has a big yard and they put in a huge pole barn for his man cave, yard/snow equipment and an extra bathroom. They keep their RV for guests or for when one or the other is restless or wants privacy. He sleeps out there quite a bit in mellow weather. They are old railroad folk who are as scrappy, down to earth and resilient as they come (they scoff at blizzards).

Fortunately, the original owners/builders used our house for a business and it has a parking lot that would make Sam's jealous (okay, slight exaggeration - but we truly have a parking lot in addition to a driveway).

PennyQuilts
08-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Penny, my opinion is likely worth what you are paying for it. :wink:

That noted, if the group using more asphalt is cheaper for the driveway area while using more product, it would make me wonder are they cutting corners in the base prep. If so, an extra half inch of asphalt just means a bigger, uglier mess when things turn south on a bad base.

That this group is also near double on the other project phase raises the question are they overcharging for that work to offset a deliberate dive on the driveway project, or is this phase perhaps well outside their comfort zone and thus carries an aggravation premium on their end, and perhaps a lesser result on your end.

I like bargains as much as the next person, provided the bargain is actually a bargain and not a headache in a bargain costume.
Oh, those are all good things to consider, Kevin - thanks. I had wondered if they were dropping the price of the driveway, proper, to get a foot in the door on the entire repair job (see above, this place also has a parking lot!) but you put into words what was nagging at my brain. The other operation does contract work for odot and picks up jobs like this on the side. I am leaning in their direction because this is more than just your average driveway and they are probably used to larger areas.

kevinpate
08-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Another thought. Though the difference is not pocket change, this may well be your final home, and well worth the extra amount for the piece of mind of using a more experienced company. Besides, can't make Sam's very jealous if you end up with a raggedy parking lot and a lumpy drive. :cool:

PennyQuilts
08-10-2014, 08:21 AM
The plan is to stay here until it is too much to maintain so we want to get a decent job done. Husband assumes he will out live me but if he croaks, first, that I will move to town. Ha! If he can't mow anymore (for whatever reason), I will get my butt on the mower and keep the place up and if/when that gets to be too much, I will hire someone else to mow. :)

RadicalModerate
08-10-2014, 09:24 AM
I vaguely remember, from working for a local asphalt paving company, about 35 years ago, that a key to the success of any asphalt paving project is proper preparation of the base. They had all sorts of huge machines--one of which was called a "Stablilizer" and looked like a giant roto-tiller with a spray bar for either oil or a limestone slurry and another called a Self Propelled Sheepsfoot Roller for compaction--for getting the base to a point tested by core samples taken and tested by Standard Testing Service to make sure that what the asphalt surface was going over was sound. If you are already having problems with an existing asphalt drive, you might consider having it removed and replaced with some decorative cobblestones or brick pavers. On shows like This Old House, this entire project can be done in about 30 minutes.

PennyQuilts
08-10-2014, 09:32 AM
I vaguely remember, from working for a local asphalt paving company, about 35 years ago, that a key to the success of any asphalt paving project is proper preparation of the base. They had all sorts of huge machines--one of which was called a "Stablilizer" and looked like a giant roto-tiller with a spray bar for either oil or a limestone slurry and another called a Self Propelled Sheepsfoot Roller for compaction--for getting the base to a point tested by core samples taken and tested by Standard Testing Service to make sure that what the asphalt surface was going over was sound. If you are already having problems with an existing asphalt drive, you might consider having it removed and replaced with some decorative cobblestones or brick pavers. On shows like This Old House, this entire project can be done in about 30 minutes.

Thanks - I will look to see what they use. Maybe I'll take a photo.

Cobblestones would be beautiful but likely more pricey than we want. We have a LOT of pavement. They are supposed to cut out the damaged areas and repair them.

BBatesokc
08-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Neighbors around me have mostly all had there asphalt driveways repaired, resealed and/or replaced to varying degrees.

The best looking job was done by a company that went as far as to do soil tests to make sure on how they needed to prep the base for a new driveway - the old one was so bad it had to be scrapped and replaced. The company doing the new work felt the previous driveway should have lasted longer and blamed it on the base prep, as they felt the asphalt used was of good quality. Their's looks really nice but it was pricey. He told them it should last for about 30 years.

kelroy55
08-10-2014, 11:55 AM
When I lived in the country I had asphalt put over our gravel driveway and I was very happy with the results and I think you will be too.

RadicalModerate
08-10-2014, 01:00 PM
That paving company I once worked for used to spray "asphalt"--that is, the actual oil that is used in the making of what most of us refer to as "asphalt"--over graded gravel chips on some roadways in the country. The truck used was called a Distributor. It had a complex lighting/heating system on the rear of the truck on account of how messy and tacky and heated hot that oil was. Only one guy in the company was smart and experienced enough to operate the antique controls on the back of the truck. Even as a lad, I was the only driver that Ray (the smart guy) trusted to move the truck forward at exactly the right speed to ensure correct coverage.

There was a gauge on the dash---sort of like a tachometer--that helped one to match the rpms with the road speed that calculated the exact coverage.

I'm still thinkin' cobblestones and/or brick pavers. Over crushed gravel and sand. =)
Except for the tearout, it could be sort of a Zen-Like DIY Activity. =)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Soooo...Do you have any recommendations? Or is it too early to tell if they're worth calling for an estimate :D

I need to replace the gravel drive to my workshop with asphalt.

BBatesokc
08-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Just an FYI - we are going to patch and repair one of our driveways in the next couple of weeks and then recoat it ourselves. I'll check back in and let you know how the DIY version goes. If it goes okay we will do our main circle driveway ourselves too. This driveway is the one leading from the street to the garage, so if we mess it up only we will see it (for the most part).

stick47
08-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Back East many homes have decomposed granite driveways. Depending on material quality it runs from about 50 cents to 75 cents per SF plus the labor for spreading it. Cheap, easy to lay down & stays in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Kv-E7YNYw

BBatesokc
08-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Back East many homes have decomposed granite driveways. Depending on material quality it runs from about 50 cents to 75 cents per SF plus the labor for spreading it. Cheap, easy to lay down & stays in place.

We use that in all our flagstone paths. It is great stuff and mostly stays where its laid. I occasionally have to buy a bucket or two full at Buckleys to fill in after a really big rain. $5 bucket does a lot of fix'n.

PennyQuilts
08-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Neighbors around me have mostly all had there asphalt driveways repaired, resealed and/or replaced to varying degrees.

The best looking job was done by a company that went as far as to do soil tests to make sure on how they needed to prep the base for a new driveway - the old one was so bad it had to be scrapped and replaced. The company doing the new work felt the previous driveway should have lasted longer and blamed it on the base prep, as they felt the asphalt used was of good quality. Their's looks really nice but it was pricey. He told them it should last for about 30 years.
Ours has lasted since 1993. Not thirty years but other than a couple of spots, it looks mainly like cosmetic problems. Ther are a couple of spots in the "lot" that are messed up but that was by heavy equipment brought in by a crew roofing and siding the barn.

PennyQuilts
08-10-2014, 03:45 PM

We have some small areas around our safe room/landscaping areas that we were thinking of using that.

PennyQuilts
08-10-2014, 03:46 PM
We use that in all our flagstone paths. It is great stuff and mostly stays where its laid. I occasionally have to buy a bucket or two full at Buckleys to fill in after a really big rain. $5 bucket does a lot of fix'n.
Thanks - now I know where to find it!

PennyQuilts
08-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Just an FYI - we are going to patch and repair one of our driveways in the next couple of weeks and then recoat it ourselves. I'll check back in and let you know how the DIY version goes. If it goes okay we will do our main circle driveway ourselves too. This driveway is the one leading from the street to the garage, so if we mess it up only we will see it (for the most part).
You are brave!!

rezman
08-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Another option is to use millings and have them spread rolled. I've seen the asphalt over gravel method and it will work if done properly. If the gravel moves under the top layer, it won't last.