View Full Version : Aldi

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

barrettd
01-18-2016, 06:37 AM
The checkout is weird. I hand-carried my few items and that threw a bit of a wrench in the whole process because they merely take your items off the belt, scan them, then jam them into your cart so you can then go to the back counter and bag everything yourself. There is no place to place the items after scanning, so you'd better have a cart, which I suppose why they don't have hand carts. But how about making the lane just a little longer? Strange.

Typically, the cashier has a cart to hold items for bagging, then you just give it back to them instead of taking it outside.

rezman
01-18-2016, 09:06 AM
^^ They start with an empty cart and then leapfrog the carts from the previous shoppers.

Pete
01-18-2016, 10:11 AM
^^ They start with an empty cart and then leapfrog the carts from the previous shoppers.

Right. And I suppose if you have your items in a box then they take that box and throw it on top of the cart then toss the scanned items into it.

Otherwise, there is literally no place to place a box or anything else on the cashier's stand.

stile99
01-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Otherwise, there is literally no place to place a box or anything else on the cashier's stand.

One of Aldi's huge plusses if you ask me. The bagging counter that runs the full length of the store is literally three steps away. I have had my stuff checked out, self-bagged, and am out the door in the time it has taken some people that were in front of me to unload their cart, dig out their bags, corral their kids, load one bag, put it in the cart, corral their kids again, load another bag, put that bag in the cart, pick up the items from the first bag that the kids threw out, rebag said items, corral their kids again, etc etc etc. There is no, was no, and never will be any need for this BS to occur in the checkout line, holding up other customers. Until the US figures out single-line multiple-lane, relocating the bagging area from the checkout area is the best solution in the meantime.

rezman
01-18-2016, 11:09 AM
Right. And I suppose if you have your items in a box then they take that box and throw it on top of the car then toss the scanned items into it.

No, they don't take the box. Were talking less than 10 items. If there is someone in front of me, I put my items on the belt and the box behind them and when it's my turn I just grab the box and as the cashier is ringing them up, she puts them in the box. If there's no one in front of me, she will scan them and put them right back in the box and it's done.

Really ... it's not that hard.

Pete
01-18-2016, 11:25 AM
So, you hold the box while she is scanning?

barrettd
01-18-2016, 11:34 AM
It's possible you're overthinking this, Pete, because we're used to traditional stores. Sometimes, if I forget a quarter or a bag from home, I'll go grab a bag or two at the counter, load up my items in the store, then take it all back to the checkout. As the clerk scans, she loads the items into the cart or hands them to me so I can bag them. I'd imagine the same process with a box. I've also loaded up a box and she just scans stuff while it's in the box, without needing to empty it. It's actually a pretty efficient system, only really made slower by the customers. I typically go pretty early, though, so it's not very busy.

Pete
01-18-2016, 11:42 AM
The reason I want to be clear is because I pretty much got scolded by the cashier on my last visit.

I hand carried my items since I couldn't find a hand cart and didn't want a full-sized cart. I put them on the belt.

She scanned them and then put them in the extra and waiting cart right next to her. As I went to move the cart over to where I could bag, she snapped, "You need to leave the cart". So, I had to collect my items from the cart while it stayed in place.

There is literally no place to put anything after it's been scanned other than a waiting cart, as you can see in the image below:

http://jennabraddock.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ALDI-checkout-1024x859.jpg

barrettd
01-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Ah, I understand your experience now. If I take/buy bags, I'll usually bag my groceries as the cashier is scanning them, so there is no need to move the cart. You shouldn't have a problem putting your bags in the cashier's cart and bagging as she scans.

d-usa
01-18-2016, 02:41 PM
The Aldi cloth bags are some of the most amazing bags ever made and I use them at every store I shop. I can buy $150 worth of food at Target and of the cashier is even halfway decent at bagging they can fit everything into that one bag. Nothing annoys me more than cashiers that don't know how to bag and try to stop filling it when it's only halfway full and start their usual "one plastic bag for every three items" routine.

"No, this is not a plastic bag and it's not a crappg cloth bag, yes it can hold all this food without falling apparat so fill it up, there is a reason I loaded all my food on the belt with the canned stuff first, followed by boxed stuff, followed by squishy stuff at the very end. Trust me, it can handle it."

rezman
01-18-2016, 03:12 PM
The reason I want to be clear is because I pretty much got scolded by the cashier on my last visit.

I hand carried my items since I couldn't find a hand cart and didn't want a full-sized cart. I put them on the belt.

She scanned them and then put them in the extra and waiting cart right next to her. As I went to move the cart over to where I could bag, she snapped, "You need to leave the cart". So, I had to collect my items from the cart while it stayed in place.

There is literally no place to put anything after it's been scanned other than a waiting cart, as you can see in the image below:

http://jennabraddock.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ALDI-checkout-1024x859.jpg

Pete, I had the same experience my first time at Aldi, except I was double teamed. First by the cashier, followed up quickly by my wife, who was already experienced in Aldidom.

Regarding using boxes, I've done that 5 or 6 times. Quick stops on the way home from work, and I don't carry bags in my truck. I think it was the first couple times I did it when I emptied the box on the belt, the other times, I left the items in the box and the cashier just took them out to scan them and put them back.

I really didn't pay much attention as to if, how or when I held the box. I think I may have the first time. I just went in and did it and got out. And each time the cashier didn't seem swayed by it at all, as if I'm not the only one. And again, it was only for a few items. I wouldn't do that with any more items than that.

oklip955
01-18-2016, 05:16 PM
I'm the one that grabs a small box for the "few items " that I need. I fill the little box with the few and the many items and barely make it to the check out. I just put it down on the belt. the cashier takes out a few items, scans the rest and is stratching her head to how I managed to get all that stuff in that little box. I get the comment that next time try a cart. Oh well. It works for me.

rezman
01-18-2016, 06:04 PM
^^^ Ah.... So I'm not the only one. ;)

OKCbyTRANSFER
01-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Seems when I'm there the cashier buzzer they push for assistance makes me jump every time n
Aldi recently bought out Bottom Dollar back east where my folks live. They are converting these to Aldi stores, which are nicely sized and in more locations then we have here. I myself like the store, it's just a little out of my way to shop there.

Pete
01-31-2016, 05:29 PM
Okay, I may be a full-on Aldi convert now...

Today, went fully prepared knowing how to get a cart, planning to buy one of their insulated bags and having a list of recommended items off a couple of "best buys at Aldi" websites.

Once again, the place was very busy for such a small store. And that's troublesome because virtually everyone has a cart and virtually everyone is taking their time going through the offerings in detail. They don't have markings on their aisles so you have to go up and down them all to find what you are looking for.

One of the best things are all the unusual snack items... Loads of things completely unique to Aldi.

I bought a bunch of things like pasta sauce, spaghetti, frozen whole grain waffles, maple syrup, peanut butter pretzels, Nutella-like spread (a bargain!), frozen chicken breasts, canned beans and chili, some spices and a few other things. All were super cheap.

I still don't get the aisle of random household items. Looked through everything in detail and it just seemed junky.

Also, one major pet peeve is the checkout lines are long and although they move pretty fast, carts are blocking up the aisles while waiting. And then when you get into the lane there is not enough room to be next to your cart, so you either have to be in front or behind and it's hard to reach the full cart that way.

Otherwise, generally speaking the prices are worth it and they have enough unique and interesting items it's totally unlike anything else in town.

BTW, I never realized the point of the quarter in the cart to release it was to make sure all the carts were returned to the proper place. Really, really smart as it does not require an employee out there collecting them and it also keeps the lot clear of the usual jumble of carts.

soonermike81
01-31-2016, 08:13 PM
BTW, I never realized the point of the quarter in the cart to release it was to make sure all the carts were returned to the proper place. Really, really smart as it does not require an employee out there collecting them and it also keeps the lot clear of the usual jumble of carts.

Yeah, it's just one of the things they do to help control expenses and help keep prices low. Thought the concept was weird myself when I first saw it. But now, every time I'm at a Walmart or somewhere else and I see people leave their carts in the middle of the parking lot, I get so irritated. You'll never see this in an Aldi lot. They do this all over Europe as well, from what I've seen.

ctchandler
01-31-2016, 08:44 PM
Yeah, it's just one of the things they do to help control expenses and help keep prices low. Thought the concept was weird myself when I first saw it. But now, every time I'm at a Walmart or somewhere else and I see people leave their carts in the middle of the parking lot, I get so irritated. You'll never see this in an Aldi lot. They do this all over Europe as well, from what I've seen.

I can't speak for "all over Europe", but in the London area, you put £1 (about $1.48) in the cart and nobody leaves carts anywhere except where they can redeem there £1 (one pound sterling). I'm surprised that a quarter keeps carts out of the parking lot, but I guess we are all so cheap that we want our quarter back.
C. T.

tfvc.org
01-31-2016, 09:00 PM

The first time I went to Spain my friend had me go to the grocery store alone and when I saw that to get the cart I needed to put in at least .50Eu I thought no way in heck am I going to pay .50 just to use the cart and was kind of mad (I also didn't have any change yet as well, so couldn't pay to use the cart), luckily they had hand baskets on wheels for me to use inside and I didn't need to buy too many items although I filled that thing full. It wasn't until when I went to the store later with her that I realised that they give you the money back after plugging the chain back in. Pretty good system and it keeps your car from getting banged up from a stray cart caught in the wind.

rezman
01-31-2016, 10:03 PM
The quarter deposit for the cart is a people thing too. I think it was on my second trip to Aldi when I finished loading my groceries and was returning my cart to the storage area when a lady approached me with a smile and a quarter in hand to trade for the cart I was pushing. ..

stile99
02-01-2016, 06:46 AM
I can't speak for "all over Europe", but in the London area, you put £1 (about $1.48) in the cart and nobody leaves carts anywhere except where they can redeem there £1 (one pound sterling). I'm surprised that a quarter keeps carts out of the parking lot, but I guess we are all so cheap that we want our quarter back.
C. T.

I've seen people leave carts in the parking lot at Aldi...the thing is that with the quarter, there is someone grabbing that cart by the time the lazy person is out of the parking lot. I like it when I see the other direction rezman mentioned. Often you don't even have to return the cart, because someone else is ready to use it and heading to the door with a quarter ready anyway.

Pete
02-01-2016, 06:52 AM
^

Right, this happened to me yesterday when I walking my cart back to the docking station close to the entrance and a lady smiled and handed me a quarter, then happily took the cart. What a great system.

(Not returning carts to an appropriate spot is one of my biggest pet peeves, especially the lazy arses who dump them next to handicap parking spaces. When I was a kid, my dad would say, "There are two types of people in this world: those who return carts and those who do not. We are the kind of people that do.")

And speaking of Europe, I spent a lot of time in Switzerland and they had the same system but the coin involved was equivalent to a couple of dollars.

And all their grocery stores were the same sort of setup where there was a seated cashier, you had to buy bags, etc.

Bullbear
02-01-2016, 08:56 AM
I've made Aldi one of my main Grocery stops and the more I shop the better I like it. It just seems to take a bit to adjust to the system of it all. The Cart system is genius and not sure why all stores don't do it. its simple and works and saves the hassle of picking up carts.

Pete
02-01-2016, 09:06 AM
One other thing to love: They don't use coupons.

I can't stand the feeling that if I don't cull through a printed newspaper or mailer on a frequent basis (and I don't look at either any more) then I am always paying higher prices for not having the coupons.

Also, of course, it substantially slows down the checkout process.

I really wish they would expand as all the locations here seem very busy. The closest one to me is over 5 miles away.

ctchandler
02-01-2016, 10:01 AM
(Not returning carts to an appropriate spot is one of my biggest pet peeves, especially the lazy arses who dump them next to handicap parking spaces. When I was a kid, my dad would say, "There are two types of people in this world: those who return carts and those who do not. We are the kind of people that do.")

I'm handicapped and about a month after my insurance paid $6,200 to repair my hail damaged car, somebody left a cart in the handicapped area and it was a windy day. Just my luck, it rolled into my car and I had a four inch scratch/dent on my "like new" car. Even handicapped, I always return my cart to the store unless there is a cart return real close to where I'm parked.
C. T.

Pete
02-01-2016, 10:05 AM
People dump carts next to handicapped spots because they are wider.

When I see someone in the act of doing that I offer to put it in the proper place for them. And often, I'll grab a cart from a similar area and just take it for use in the store.

stile99
02-01-2016, 10:30 AM
And often, I'll grab a cart from a similar area and just take it for use in the store.

If I pass a cart in the parking lot, I am taking it into the store with me. I can't understand why more people don't do this. First thing you're going to do when you get in the store is grab a cart anyway. This way I avoid the nice little old lady who I'm sure at all other times is Mother Theresa, but for some reason when she grabs her cart takes one step away and then decides she needs to hunt in her purse for her shopping list, a stick of gum, a pen, the starting lineup of Superbowl XVII, completely ignoring everyone around her. Come on, seriously? Stand aside, you are not the only one trying to shop.

Pete
02-01-2016, 10:39 AM
^

Haha, oh don't get me started on the complete obliviousness of people in grocery stores.

The classic one is the person who stops with their cart right in the middle of the aisle. Seems like the majority of people do this, blocking passage for anyone else.

Worst of all is the person who waits until their entire order is totalled with tons of people behind them, then and only then fishes out their checkbook (!), takes forever writing it out, stands there writing the whole transaction in their ledger and chatting aimlessly with the checker, then -- still blocking everyone else from moving up -- starts looking for keys, sunglasses, etc.

And then there is the loud cell-phone talker who is on their phone screaming the entire time: "Hi. Do we need milk? Oh, guess who I saw today? How about diapers? No, it was Barbara. She looked terrible. Hey, want me to bring home a take-and-bake pizza? Yeah, terrrible. Sooo... What are you up to?"

Bullbear
02-01-2016, 10:54 AM
you mentioned they need to expand. The last few trips to the Aldi closest to me and they have started asking for a Zip code from shoppers. the cashier said they are collecting data as to where they need to put new stores and how far people are driving to the current locations.

Pete
02-01-2016, 10:55 AM
^

Yes! I noticed they asked me this on the last trip.

Really no need for that info if they weren't considering expansion.

ljbab728
02-01-2016, 08:51 PM
If I pass a cart in the parking lot, I am taking it into the store with me. I can't understand why more people don't do this. First thing you're going to do when you get in the store is grab a cart anyway.

I would never do that. The first thing I always do before I touch a cart is get one of the sanitary wipes from the dispenser and wipe the hand grip thoroughly. Call me paranoid but I won't change that for anything.

rezman
02-01-2016, 10:55 PM
^

Haha, oh don't get me started on the complete obliviousness of people in grocery stores.

The classic one is the person who stops with their cart right in the middle of the aisle. Seems like the majority of people do this, blocking passage for anyone else.

Worst of all is the person who waits until their entire order is totalled with tons of people behind them, then and only then fishes out their checkbook (!), takes forever writing it out, stands there writing the whole transaction in their ledger and chatting aimlessly with the checker, then -- still blocking everyone else from moving up -- starts looking for keys, sunglasses, etc.

And then there is the loud cell-phone talker who is on their phone screaming the entire time: "Hi. Do we need milk? Oh, guess who I saw today? How about diapers? No, it was Barbara. She looked terrible. Hey, want me to bring home a take-and-bake pizza? Yeah, terrrible. Sooo... What are you up to?"

And then tells the cashier, "I be right back, I forgot something", and off they go.

One major peve of mine is the pushy people that have to shove their items right up behind mine and stand right up behind me while I'm trying to conduct my business with the cashier.

stile99
02-02-2016, 06:32 AM
I would never do that. The first thing I always do before I touch a cart is get one of the sanitary wipes from the dispenser and wipe the hand grip thoroughly. Call me paranoid but I won't change that for anything.

Robot Check (http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Ones-Antibacterial-Singles-24-Count/dp/B0043D68YW/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454419445&sr=1-4&keywords=hand+wipes)

And I'm sorry, but I will call you paranoid. Unless you're wiping down the entire cart (and using two or three on the little plastic flap that some kid's ****-filled diaper was sitting on), those dispensers are just 'security theater'. You'd be much better off using them on your hands, both before and after using the cart.

ljbab728
02-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Robot Check (http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Ones-Antibacterial-Singles-24-Count/dp/B0043D68YW/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454419445&sr=1-4&keywords=hand+wipes)

And I'm sorry, but I will call you paranoid. Unless you're wiping down the entire cart (and using two or three on the little plastic flap that some kid's ****-filled diaper was sitting on), those dispensers are just 'security theater'. You'd be much better off using them on your hands, both before and after using the cart.

Those wipes are provided for a very good reason and I do wipe off any place on the cart that my hands might touch. When I get home from grocery shopping I wash my hands thoroughly and there are a few items that I buy that I rinse off as well before storing them.

stile99
02-02-2016, 09:24 AM
Those wipes are provided for a very good reason and I do wipe off any place on the cart that my hands might touch. When I get home from grocery shopping I wash my hands thoroughly and there are a few items that I buy that I rinse off as well before storing them.

But that's my entire point. You wipe any place on the cart where your hands might touch. Your hands. Your HANDS.

Did you wipe off the little plastic flap where the dirty diaper sat an hour ago before you put your bananas there? Did you wipe off the inside of the cart where raw meat sat an hour ago? The last time that cart was sanitized was never, wiping the handle is just a meaningless gesture. Use the hand wipes *on your hands*, on the way in and on the way out.

Plutonic Panda
02-02-2016, 11:15 AM
But that's my entire point. You wipe any place on the cart where your hands might touch. Your hands. Your HANDS.

Did you wipe off the little plastic flap where the dirty diaper sat an hour ago before you put your bananas there? Did you wipe off the inside of the cart where raw meat sat an hour ago? The last time that cart was sanitized was never, wiping the handle is just a meaningless gesture. Use the hand wipes *on your hands*, on the way in and on the way out.I love this site. Everyone here has an answer for something and their way is the right way and dammit, others are going to know to about it!

Well, Ljbab, you heard it here first, apparently you're a fool for using those wipes that these companies pay money for to give to people like you, me, and the millions of others. :)

stile99
02-02-2016, 02:06 PM
I love this site. Everyone here has an answer for something and their way is the right way and dammit, others are going to know to about it!

Well, Ljbab, you heard it here first, apparently you're a fool for using those wipes that these companies pay money for to give to people like you, me, and the millions of others. :)

I love this site. Everyone here takes every else's words and completely ignores them, making false accusations and putting words into other's mouths that were never there.

Well, Ljbab, you heard it here first, apparently you're a genius for putting your bananas on the diaper flap.

ljbab728
02-02-2016, 08:33 PM
My bananas and any other produce are placed in a plastic bag before being put in my cart. Also, while I realize many people don't, I put any fresh meat that I purchase in a plastic bag before it goes in my cart.

I certainly did not mean to derail this thread with a discussion on sanitation so this will be my last comment on that subject. Everyone else is free to do as they wish but I will not change my habits. Here are a couple of links to support my position.

KSL: Sanitary wipes are used and work at grocery stores | Deseret News (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700115928/KSL-Sanitary-wipes-are-used-and-work-at-grocery-stores.html?pg=all)

http://media.bonnint.net/slc/2490/249015/24901536.pdf

Plutonic Panda
02-02-2016, 10:48 PM
I love this site. Everyone here takes every else's words and completely ignores them, making false accusations and putting words into other's mouths that were never there.

Well, Ljbab, you heard it here first, apparently you're a genius for putting your bananas on the diaper flap.lol

Eddie1
02-02-2016, 10:57 PM
I just love reading for the pure comedy show that is OKCTalk. lol.

zookeeper
02-02-2016, 11:03 PM
OKCTalk. Pick your analogy: We are a family. We are a community. Choosing either, I would place before it, the word "dysfunctional." I admit it. Completely.

White Peacock
02-03-2016, 07:23 AM

Did you wipe off the little plastic flap where the dirty diaper sat an hour ago before you put your bananas there? Did you wipe off the inside of the cart where raw meat sat an hour ago? The last time that cart was sanitized was never, wiping the handle is just a meaningless gesture. Use the hand wipes *on your hands*, on the way in and on the way out.

http://www.quirkbooks.com/sites/default/files/u1003/Niles%20cleaning%20chair.jpg

stile99
02-03-2016, 07:25 AM
Redirecting the discussion to the actual topic, has anyone used Aldi's "Love it or double your money back" guarantee? I have to admit there have been a couple items I ended up not caring for, but I never bothered returning the item. I figure something that cost me a couple bucks in the first place isn't worth the hassle. The one time I actually ever returned an item at Aldi, I did not get double my money back, but maybe that is just on food items, or their brand or something. I bought a weather station/clock thing that A) Did not function and B) Had the warranty card half-filled out. It was obviously a return, and it quickly got returned a second time.

Pete
02-03-2016, 07:28 AM
I haven't used it but I bought two boxes of their generic minute rice and it's terrible.

Grains are really small and I can't get it to cook right.

BTW, on my last trip I bought a decent sized frozen pizza that had plenty of pepperoni and sausage for only $2.25. Cooked it the other day an it was pretty darn good.

$2.25!

soonermike81
02-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Pretty sure you have to ask for the Double Guarantee. Otherwise, you'll just get your money back. If you ask for it, they'll refund your money and give you a replacement product of equal or lesser value. But like you said, I never really think about it b/c its only a couple bucks anyways, and I'm usually happy with just getting my money back if I dont like something.

I also bought a frozen lasagna the other day, and it was delicious. It was a "special buy" item though, so I don't they carry that specific one on a regular basis. Sort of like the hodge podge special buy area near the produce. They bring random new items in each week and once they run out of it, they're gone till next season.

Thomas Vu
02-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Does Aldi still have their Mama Cozzi line of pizzas? I enjoyed those. As for rice, unless storage is an issue I could never turn down getting one of those 25 lb bags from the Asian stores.

Achilleslastand
02-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Only shopped at Aldi a few times for nothing more than a handful of items. What is their modus operandi when it comes to shopping carts?

Pete
02-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Only shopped at Aldi a few times for nothing more than a handful of items. What is their modus operandi when it comes to shopping carts?

You have to put a quarter in a slot on the cart to release it from the tether.

Then when you return and re-tether, the quarter is released back to you.

Brilliant strategy because it ensures all carts are returned to the one location.

Bullbear
02-03-2016, 11:31 AM
Does Aldi still have their Mama Cozzi line of pizzas? I enjoyed those. As for rice, unless storage is an issue I could never turn down getting one of those 25 lb bags from the Asian stores.

a 25lb bag of rice from the Asian market and a rice cooker are my favorite things!

Pete
02-03-2016, 11:32 AM
I love rice and have a cooker but I am usually cooking just for me and for small quick, quantities I also frequently use quick rice.

baralheia
02-03-2016, 12:00 PM
OKCTalk. Pick your analogy: We are a family. We are a community. Choosing either, I would place before it, the word "dysfunctional." I admit it. Completely.

Meh, we're no more dysfunctional than almost any other group. All families and all communities have disagreements on various subjects. :)

Pete
02-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Even though I sometimes get frustrated with how some express themselves here (the manner and tone, not the opinions) I'll stack this forum against just about any other in terms of civility and general level of conversation.

I say all this having moderated several other forums and participating in a bunch more.

Bullbear
02-03-2016, 12:48 PM
I would agree with that.. the worst fire storms I have seen on these forums are mild compared to every day fodder on most sites.

Roger S
02-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Well I pretty much only give my opinion on something when I know I'm right.... So when I'm not giving you my opinion you know I'm wrong. ;+)

stile99
02-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Even though I sometimes get frustrated with how some express themselves here (the manner and tone, not the opinions) I'll stack this forum against just about any other in terms of civility and general level of conversation.

I say all this having moderated several other forums and participating in a bunch more.

I'm fully well aware that I very often am unable to express what is in my head clearly, and for that I apologize, and when I detect it, I try to back away from the situation. Like the whole "I wipe the handle" scenario. I don't think I expressed my thoughts very well, those thoughts being "Great start, but the job isn't done". To me it's like bragging how clean you are because you wipe half your rear. However, if I didn't communicate clearly that there's nasty stuff on more than just the handle, then the pointless going back and forth surely isn't going to make it clearer. Making smartass comments, however, about how "there is only one way of being right", will also do nothing to make the situation clearer. In fact, ironically, it is CORRECT. There is only one right answer. If you believe the germs are only on the handle, then you're wrong. Period. If you think wiping the handle and only the handle makes you *safer*, then cool. You're not 'wrong', obviously killing 97% of the germs is more than killing 3%, but you're killing 97% of the germs on 3% of the surface. If you think wiping the handle and only the handle makes you *safe*, you're deluding yourself, and that why I called it 'security theater'. This whole bruhaha came from not wanting to take a cart in from the parking lot because of germs. If this is truly a concern for anyone, I posted a link to one of several portable hand wipe packs. Problem not only solved, but you also have hand wipes for other situations as well.

That said I do agree that this forum is for the most part civil, I've been reading for a long time before I actually joined. But again, we digress from the topic.

rezman
02-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Well I pretty much only give my opinion on something when I know I'm right.... So when I'm not giving you my opinion you know I'm wrong. ;+)

I was only wrong once, .... and that's when I thought I was wrong. :wink:

JohnH_in_OKC
02-09-2016, 10:46 AM
13 Secrets You Don’t Know About Aldi (http://www.iamthatlady.com/13-secrets-you-dont-know-about-aldi/)

13 Secrets you don't know about Aldi (http://www.iamthatlady.com/13-secrets-you-dont-know-about-aldi/)

zookeeper
02-09-2016, 06:15 PM
13 Secrets You Don’t Know About Aldi (http://www.iamthatlady.com/13-secrets-you-dont-know-about-aldi/)

13 Secrets you don't know about Aldi (http://www.iamthatlady.com/13-secrets-you-dont-know-about-aldi/)

Very interesting. There were many things in that article that I have recognized about Aldi - but now I know why they do what they do.
Also, Aldi was named Retailer of the Year two years in a row by big names in retail.
2014 (http://www.storebrands.info/store-brand-insights/store-brand-news/aldi-our-2014-retailer-year?nopaging=1) 2015 (http://supermarketnews.com/retail-achievement-award/aldi-named-sns-retail-achievement-award-winner)

Another interesting article I saw the other day - Why ALDI Is the Grocery Store of the Future - February 1, 2016 (http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/205737/why-aldi-is-the-grocery-store-of-the-future)

zookeeper
02-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Came across another Aldi article from a couple of weeks ago.
Aldi ramps up organic groceries and that should terrify Whole Foods - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/aldi-is-fixing-is-biggest-weakness-and-that-should-terrify-whole-foods-2016-1)

zookeeper
02-10-2016, 02:32 PM

I agree with that Pete. I was being facetious and going with the flow. Not being serious at all in the real-world use of the term 'dysfunctional'.

Eric
02-11-2016, 07:27 AM
It seems to me that Aldi would be an ideal candidate for an urban style grocery store. I've always thought this seemed obvious. They could probably operate in a footprint a fraction of the size of one of their normal stores. They cover the basics and then some. And most of the time I can get out of there with a couple of bags worth of groceries (something I could walk home with that is). Or a Walgreens/CVS type of store. You have to crawl before you can walk.

I've never understood the push for a full on grocery store downtown. I know Tulsa is going to try to pull it off, but I kind of equate it to the Warren Old Town in Wichita. That theater would never be there but for civic pride.