View Full Version : Fix the basics?

TheTravellers
08-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Read Steve's article about the "small details" today, and he's right on, I've been saying this for years - fix the basics, replace your burned out street/traffic lights, repaint/replace the signage, fix the sidewalks, etc. When I worked at Pitney Bowes a while back, they had a huge program that they did called "Fix The Basics", which was aimed at fixing all the little stuff that supports the big acquisitions/development (of their software), I stole their name for it, and it'd be so nice if it was to happen here. But since none of the fixes involve revenue generation, and is deferred maintenance that can probably be deferred a while longer, wonder if it'll happen?

Small details subtract from best visitors' impression in Oklahoma City | News OK (http://newsok.com/small-details-subtract-from-best-visitors-impression-in-oklahoma-city/article/5127312)

Pete
08-07-2014, 10:46 AM
For a long time, there were no design standards or code enforcement, so many of the problems go back a long ways.

The lack of screening for the dumpsters is particularly egregious but the problem is enforcing new rules retroactively. Still, you would hope property and business owners would have enough pride to do this sort of thing without the City and whole community coming down on them.

It seems code enforcement has improved when reported, so that's always a good place to start.

And Bricktown has had a bit of a leadership void but that seems to be changing.

TheTravellers
08-07-2014, 10:57 AM
I've thought that a good job for me would be a "fixer", just go around finding things that aren't quite right and either get someone to fix them or fix them myself, but I seriously doubt anybody would pay me to do that, no matter how good I am at it and how much nicer things would look/be after I fixed them. Example would be working for the city, going around finding mis-timed traffic lights, bad signs, places in need of signs, etc., but since all that would take spending money and earn no money in return (usually), I doubt it would be a feasible job. As a systems administrator, I'm often classified as "overhead", kind of the same thing, they only hired me because they needed to keep things running and if they could automate it all and get rid of sys admins, they probably would.

Pete
08-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Very few municipalities are proactive; they merely wait for someone to report/complain and only then may consider taking action.

If you ever read through the City Code (OKC's is almost identical to most cities and towns) you'd be amazed how specific and restrictive it is. So much so, you could find dozens of violations on almost any given block.

I live in what is considered to be a nice city out here and am diligent about reporting things (their code is almost the same as OKC's) and even though the people taking the calls are very helpful, when it comes right down to it they are very hesitant to actually do anything even if there is a specific code in place. They don't like to create conflict with citizens and often let things get so out of hand, that they start to feel guilty about selective enforcement, so they just do nothing.

The real problem is there are far more code breakers than those who care that they are being broken.

TheTravellers
08-07-2014, 11:49 AM
True, I agree with that, but I wasn't really thinking about code violations, I was thinking about infrastructure, and just regular stuff that should be fixed, but isn't in violation of any codes (yet), just basically making the city a nicer place to live so you're not driving down any major street and thinking "wow, what bad potholes, what's that sign say, wait, which lane am I supposed to be in - there aren't any lines, why won't this light change, there's nobody in the turn lane, but it's been green for a minute now and nobody else can go, etc." along with all the signs that are missing pieces in strip malls, all the cigarette butts around, misspelled signs, etc. Mix of public and private things that need fixing, but as I said, never gonna happen, wishful thinking, oh well, guess I need to find another way to make my fortune...

Urbanized
08-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Downtown Oklahoma City Incorporated actually hired someone recently for the very purpose described above, for all of downtown. His name is Joe Hudson, and he is in a recently-formulated position known as Operations Coordinator. He has a horticulture background, and in part his role includes taking care of the built environment and working with property owners, utilities and the City to make sure items don't slip through the cracks. They also have created an operations committee in Bricktown specifically for this need.

Additionally, the Bricktown District Coordinator, Mallory O'Neill, has been the first Bricktown director in years to take active, direct interest in these types of issues. I have now been on multiple walking tours with Joe and Mallory (and other DOKC staff) both by day and by night of specifically the canal environment and also know they have walked the district at large. DOKC is currently working on a package of updates/upgrades/fixes related to finish (painting railings, for instance), lighting and the like, and I think you will see those changes made over the next few months.

Some of the issues are not the quick-fix everyone would like; for instance lighting on the south canal is spotty due to boulevard construction and they have to work through OG+E to fix street lights. The long-abandoned gas lamps were a nice touch in the late eighties when they were installed, but were abandoned by the district about a decade ago when cost of maintenance was passed from ONG to Bricktown and estimates were in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. At the time it was decided that they needed to be removed entirely, but someone went to sleep at the switch. There are tons of other deferred maintenance issues that DOKC inherited, and the are now working diligently to rectify them.

Some of the issues mentioned, such as the dumpster screening in alleys, is actually NOT grandfathered. All of the buildings along Flaming Lips Alley between Mickey Mantle and Oklahoma Avenue have had dumpster screens installed over the past few years; the most recent within the last year. The one Steve mentioned did have dumpster screens installed a number of years ago, they just have been torn up and not repaired. Also the bar in that building wheels theirs over to a loading dock closer to their bar than the dumpster area and leaves them out.

It will all take time, but for the first time in my memory there is much positive momentum in this area.

TheTravellers
08-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Good to know things are being done, thanks for the info... Wonder if I can get a job as Joe's assistant...

Bullbear
08-07-2014, 03:50 PM
I agree. I always notice lights that are out and just little things that detract from the appearance. many times if there is a email address for a business I will shoot them an email. I am sure they think.. " who is this guy".. but I have seen things be fixed pretty quickly after brought to their attention.. I think sometimes with business owners is the old Monkey house scenario. .they live in the monkey house so they don't notice the smell anymore.. a new person walks by and is like DANG that stinks.. ( stupid scenario but you get the point ).. I just sent an email to Mutts today.. I love their signage on 23rd. but it has like 1 light bulb in the "sputnik" ball that is actually lit.. the rest have been out a while.. hopefully they fix it.. Signed Gladys Cravitz the nosey neighbor.

Midtowner
08-12-2014, 09:05 AM
It just all seems Bush League to have these problems. Go visit the Power and Lights District in KC or the River Walk in San Antonio. You will notice no such small defects. That's the difference between cities which have their acts together and those which don't. Historically, OKC has developed things as being disposable. We should take a much different approach to this city's gems like Bricktown and the Paseo districts.

ljbab728
08-12-2014, 09:54 PM
An update by Steve after his initial article.

Unaddressed flaws, details don't equal failings by city hall, Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. | News OK (http://newsok.com/unaddressed-flaws-details-dont-equal-failings-by-city-hall-downtown-oklahoma-city-inc./article/5158843)

Last week’s column about the little details not being addressed downtown drew quite a bit of response from readers – and I also heard from folks at city hall and Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., who say they’re just as eager to get such flaws addressed.

RadicalModerate
08-12-2014, 10:09 PM
I'm guessin' Steve has the inside track on stuff that matters.
And I have total faith in his ability as a Journalism Major.

Is that so "wrong"?

bombermwc
08-13-2014, 07:45 AM
looks like we have duplicate threads...can we merge with http://www.okctalk.com/ask-anything-about-okc/38751-downtown-inc-pressure.html