View Full Version : Rosetta Spacecraft

ljbab728
08-06-2014, 11:46 PM
This almost boggles the mind that mankind has been able to accomplish this.

'We're in orbit!' Rosetta first probe to orbit comet - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/06/world/rosetta-spacecraft-comet-approach/index.html)

zookeeper
08-07-2014, 12:21 AM
This almost boggles the mind that mankind has been able to accomplish this.

'We're in orbit!' Rosetta first probe to orbit comet - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/06/world/rosetta-spacecraft-comet-approach/index.html)

Reading that really does make the mind spin. It seems the best and the brightest are attracted to working in the "new frontier." It does boggle the mind and makes you wonder what mankind will be doing 20-30 years from now.

shawnw
08-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Thank goodness for those that are good at the maths.

shawnw
08-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Get them connected with your buddy Elon.

RadicalModerate
08-07-2014, 05:44 PM
What if the orbiter--or perhaps later, the landing-on-the-comet-lander (LotCL)--causes just enough shift, in the natural gravity of this entire situation, involving the natural order of things, to shift it--that is, the comet--into a direct collision course with Planet Earth . . .

Nah . . . There's "worst-case" scenarios and then there are worser than worst ones. =)
On the other hand, there is the worstest theory that it's possible for a butterfly sneezing in the Amazon rainforest to cause two, back-to-back hurricanes to be launched directly at the Sandwich Islands. So who knows?

(Parade . . . Meet Rain . . . =)

btw: Isn't the technically correct, informal, abbreviation for mathematics math's rather than "maths"?

ljbab728
08-07-2014, 08:16 PM
What if the orbiter--or perhaps later, the landing-on-the-comet-lander (LotCL)--causes just enough shift, in the natural gravity of this entire situation, involving the natural order of things, to shift it--that is, the comet--into a direct collision course with Planet Earth . . .

Nah . . . There's "worst-case" scenarios and then there are worser than worst ones. =)
On the other hand, there is the worstest theory that it's possible for a butterfly sneezing in the Amazon rainforest to cause two, back-to-back hurricanes to be launched directly at the Sandwich Islands. So who knows?

(Parade . . . Meet Rain . . . =)

btw: Isn't the technically correct, informal, abbreviation for mathematics math's rather than "maths"?

No problem, RM, we would just send another LotCL up there to adjust the course again. :)

shawnw
08-07-2014, 10:47 PM
I was being purposely imprecise with the term "maths" to overemphasize my general dearth of ability in that discipline, and quite likely others.

RadicalModerate
08-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Methinks you are correcteth.
And I sits corrected. =)

Yet . . . according to your theory, wouldn't it then be shtaM?

RadicalModerate
08-07-2014, 10:55 PM
No problem, RM, we would just send another LotCL up there to siadjust the course again. :)

That sounds like a subliminal plug for NASA Funding.
And I'm still lookin' fer my Braum's within easy walking distance.
Say! Maybe TheCometLanderVehicle (TCLV) will come up with a script to please us all.

Yet, please, don't try to mess up the natural environment by improving it with a sidewalk or a bike path. 'k?

RadicalModerate
08-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Yet, seriously . . ......
Isn't Rosetta a nice name for a Spacecraft.

Obviously, the engineers, way back in the day thought so. =)
I say that all future Hurricanes hitting Hawaii should be banned from being called Rosetta. =)

Mel
08-13-2014, 06:43 AM
APOD: 2014 August 11 - Rosetta Approaches Comet Churyumov Gerasimenko (http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140811.html)

hoya
08-13-2014, 07:11 AM
Maths is the correct spelling. We've got it all backwards here in America. :)

Get outta here, you redcoat.