View Full Version : Does anyone on here play Ingress?

hipsterdoofus
08-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Was just curious if there were any (or many) on here who play the Android and now IOS game Ingress (https://www.ingress.com/). It seems to me that it would appear to the crowd on this board as it involves a lot of walking around the city and learning about various memorials, monuments, pieces of art, etc. I know that Sid played before he moved but was curious if any others on here do.

OKCisOK4me
08-07-2014, 06:52 AM
I've seen the preview for it but didn't quite know exactly what it was about.

David
08-07-2014, 07:18 AM
I played it just a little back when it first came out, but haven't launched it since. I suppose I should look it back up considering the walking around downtown I've been doing recently.

silvergrove
08-07-2014, 11:05 AM
I play it on and off. Always wondered if anyone here played it myself.

OKCisOK4me
08-07-2014, 11:46 AM
I just downloaded it but I'm at work and can't really go 450m right now to hack a portal...

hipsterdoofus
08-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Agent name is Jiffy. I'll be in town in a few weeks. You'll see me in the comm.

Sid, one of my coworkers went to San Francisco awhile back and saw a portal with your name on it. Small World. I like going and playing downtown when there are events going on. Lots of portals in the Myriad Gardens area. Hope to see some of you others around. Just make sure you join resistance. You don't want to be a frog like Sid. :p

hipsterdoofus
08-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Those who give it much thought will join the Enlightened. Those who follow anonymous internet posters will probably join the Resistance. :-)

Yeah, I get around a bit. Mostly don't have time to play just since my trips are so short usually. But it's a good way to kill time at the airport. :-)

I'm heading to the Zoo tomorrow, its a great place to play.

shawnw
08-07-2014, 10:14 PM
If you live or work or frequently recreate downtown and decide to play Ingress, you will be incredibly bored as a resistance player. The blues dominate downtown and there are very few of us greens, especially since Sid left and others stopped playing. If you want a challenge, go green. If group think and safety in numbers are your thing, well, then you've already made your choice. See you on the battlefield.

shawnw
08-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Submit new portals.

Working on it. Have had 51 accepted and another 167 submissions are pending. I want gold seer.

shawnw
08-08-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm heading to the Zoo tomorrow, its a great place to play.

Is it safe to say by the comm activity that you're agent clizby?

shawnw
08-08-2014, 09:51 AM
It's important to note that if you're new, and chose poorly, regarding your faction (e.g. blue), there's a process called "faction change" that you can partake in. Better to do it while you're low-level so you don't have as far to go when starting over with your points. We're always looking for good people on team ENL. :-)

hipsterdoofus
08-08-2014, 08:30 PM
If you live or work or frequently recreate downtown and decide to play Ingress, you will be incredibly bored as a resistance player. The blues dominate downtown and there are very few of us greens, especially since Sid left and others stopped playing. If you want a challenge, go green. If group think and safety in numbers are your thing, well, then you've already made your choice. See you on the battlefield.

To be fair, that may be the case now but was not when I started playing. Additionally, I think that green dominates our section map in the game too, so if you look at it from that scale, resistance could be a challenge too. All depends on how you choose to play and where...

OKCisOK4me
08-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Submit new portals.
I don't know how that works. Gimme the low down.

OKCisOK4me
08-11-2014, 11:46 AM
It's important to note that if you're new, and chose poorly, regarding your faction (e.g. blue), there's a process called "faction change" that you can partake in. Better to do it while you're low-level so you don't have as far to go when starting over with your points. We're always looking for good people on team ENL. :-)
I chose the enlightened because I can see the energies being used in a good way probably cause I'm a new ager. I just used my first name last name letter for my agent name..totally wasn't creative, lol.

shawnw
08-11-2014, 12:58 PM
I chose the enlightened because I can see the energies being used in a good way probably cause I'm a new ager. I just used my first name last name letter for my agent name..totally wasn't creative, lol.

Sweet, we'll have to meet up for some training. PM me your gmail.

shawnw
08-11-2014, 01:16 PM

Just messaged you in faction comm. Let's get you spun up.

Urbanized
08-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Wtf

shawnw
08-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Bricktown is flush with portals, Chad. We're all around you, playing, and you're none the wiser. But given your location you'd make an excellent Enlightened agent, should you feel inclined to check it out in the future. :-)

(for background it's a geolocation-based augmented-reality game, requiring one to interact with the actual world in order to play, rather than sit on the couch)

Urbanized
08-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Are you people talking Chinese?

shawnw
08-12-2014, 08:56 AM
You should hear how we really talk amongst other players...

Urbanized
08-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Nerdese?

Midtowner
08-12-2014, 09:16 AM
I installed it since I'm downtown quite a bit. Don't really understand what is happening yet though.

shawnw
08-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Hopefully you're green. If so, PM me your gmail and we'll get you trained. If not...

CuatrodeMayo
08-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Wtf
LOL. That's what I said reading this thread.

I am intrigued now. I might have to check this out. Too bad I'm not in OKC.

shawnw
08-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Sid is in Seattle with you and is part of the OKC old guard (one of the original players in all of OKC) so you are in good hands! He is englightened/green, of course. So, choose wisely.

shawnw
08-12-2014, 09:50 AM
That's the most important thing... it's a team game. It's no fun playing as a lone wolf.

silvergrove
08-12-2014, 10:14 AM
That's the most important thing... it's a team game. It's no fun playing as a lone wolf.

Different strategies, some people just like chaos.

shawnw
08-12-2014, 10:18 AM
True, but it was designed to be a team game is more what I was getting at.

silvergrove
08-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Oh it definitely is designed to be a team game. My favorite part is traveling to other states/cities and randomly destroying things in the area.

shawnw
08-12-2014, 10:28 AM
So what you're saying is, you're one of those people that just like chaos... :-)

silvergrove
08-12-2014, 10:42 AM
So what you're saying is, you're one of those people that just like chaos... :-)

Haha, indeed I do, at least in Ingress. But at least I'm on the right team [ENL].

OKCisOK4me
08-12-2014, 11:53 AM
LOL. That's what I said reading this thread.

I am intrigued now. I might have to check this out. Too bad I'm not in OKC.
You could be in BFE and still play the game. Luckily though, you live in a very large city and have Mace Windu (Sid) to teach you everything if you choose to be Enlightened.

I'm like Midtowner...except I've hacked portals and set up resonators...it's just getting to them to defend them...ain't gonna happen during the work week.

Midtowner
08-12-2014, 12:04 PM
And doing this thing while having kids?

"Daddy, why do we have to go to the statues??"
"Shut up, daddy is hacking a portal!"

Can't see that happening.

To establish my nerd cred, Clash of Clans is more my vibe. I lead the best (or at least most well-rounded) "Oklahoma" clan in Oklahoma. That's all the game I need at the moment.

AP
08-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Just downloaded. Not sure what I'm getting myself into.

CuatrodeMayo
08-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Ingress (game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingress_(game))

OKCisOK4me
08-12-2014, 05:31 PM
It's actually a little more rewarding than that.

I spent yesterday evening on the beach exploring a new town. It is a great way/excuse to get out and explore places you might not normally go. Some folks I know plan their vacations this way. The more exotic and hard to reach portals, the more fun it can be. Sure, some people are a little too focused on the game and their phone but if you've got a tad of discipline, it's a good way to get out and enjoy nature and civilization alike.
It's somewhat like geocaching except you're not leaving anything behind other than virtual defenses.

shawnw
08-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Just downloaded. Not sure what I'm getting myself into.

Definitely need another downtown ENL resident. PM me your gmail and agent name and I'll add you to the training group.

hipsterdoofus
08-13-2014, 09:03 AM
I like how the frogs on here claim that green needs help and to join them and yet that's all that there are on here besides me being blue. If I were you I'd choose the team that someone you already know who plays is. Makes it easier to get started. Other than that, unless you want to be into the nerdy backstory, there is no real difference in which team you choose.

shawnw
08-13-2014, 09:08 AM
Good thing he knows me. And I can't help it if your friends aren't here.

Urbanized
08-13-2014, 09:41 AM
This game sounds very divisive.

shawnw
08-13-2014, 09:49 AM
I know lots of agents on both sides. Have sat down for drinks with several "enemy" agents that are awesome people. I've found that if you wouldn't generally get along with someone in real life, you aren't going to get along with them in the game. I do also know some green agents I'm okay with not being socially close to as well, but there's not too many of those so far.

Urbanized
08-13-2014, 09:09 PM
Good point. I shot a guy in Marvin Gardens once, just to watch him die.

RadicalModerate
08-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Good point. I shot a guy in Marvin Gardens once, just to watch him die.

That quip cannot be topped.
(at least not from a historical comedycommentary perspective. =)

OKCisOK4me
08-13-2014, 09:35 PM
In the same way Monopoly is divisive I suppose.

The good thing about this game is that you're not just restricted to a board that's 15 1/4" x 20 1/4". This game is WORLD WIDE.

shawnw
08-14-2014, 08:26 AM
Yep, I played in London and Paris this summer...

hipsterdoofus
08-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Good thing he knows me. And I can't help it if your friends aren't here.

Sid just chooses to not be friends with me :eek: my wife and his are actually good friends. Heck, he's been to my house once :tongue:

As far as hanging out with people in the game. I don't know if I've met any of the green people except CPAChris. He's okay but he needs more to do. I've also met fellow blue players I don't care for. I mostly just play with the people I am around most frequently at home & work

shawnw
08-25-2014, 10:21 PM
CPA got a job! He has plenty to do now.

I noticed you library folks don't mingle as much among your faction. I do wish you'd stop helping byte though. He can just about make his own P7s without help from you fine folks. And you guys certainly don't need his help in your area.

All of that said, you really should meet some of the newer, very nice blues, such as foukemonster, grownd, and shiftgorden. Good people. I'd hang with those guys any day.

hipsterdoofus
08-26-2014, 06:37 AM
CPA got a job! He has plenty to do now.

I noticed you library folks don't mingle as much among your faction. I do wish you'd stop helping byte though. He can just about make his own P7s without help from you fine folks. And you guys certainly don't need his help in your area.

All of that said, you really should meet some of the newer, very nice blues, such as foukemonster, grownd, and shiftgorden. Good people. I'd hang with those guys any day.

I don't play with or help anyone who cheats (and I know there are some on each side). Can't speak for others I play with. I've met several of the Edmond blues, but have never really run into any downtown OKC besides byte.

shawnw
08-26-2014, 08:11 AM
I don't play with or help anyone who cheats (and I know there are some on each side). Can't speak for others I play with. I've met several of the Edmond blues, but have never really run into any downtown OKC besides byte.

Agreed on the both sides, but we've been enforcing clean farms with ADAs of portals with multis. And I commend you for not collaborating. Seems like it's mostly one of your co-workers, the more mobile one. Raz that guy!!!

OKCisOK4me
08-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Ingress has become a game that I have to drive to portals just to achieve the mission. Too much of a gas guzzler. I'd be down to meet up on a weekend downtown to run around with some greens and screw the blue nest up but until my name change is approved, I'll probably pass.

shawnw
08-26-2014, 11:34 AM
I live downtown. Hit me up when you want to play. You know how to reach me.