View Full Version : Downtown one-way streets no longer

Patrick
09-07-2004, 10:06 PM
Finally.....we're getting rid of the confusing one-way streets downtown. Sure, all big cities have them, but this is one thing I'm glad our city is getting away from. One way streets not only confuse tourists, but they confuse locals as well.

What do you think?

----------

http://www.newsok.com/permimages/s7onewayroads.jpg

"City's one-way streets converted soon?

By Alex Cameron
NEWS 9

The following is a script from a NEWS 9 broadcast
For some these streets downtown are frustrating; for others, confusing.

But many of those inescapable one-way traffic signs in downtown Oklahoma City could disappear.

Public Works Director Paul Brum says sections of a dozen streets will be converted, including Robinson, Hudson, Harvey, Walker and Shartel from NW 6 to NW 13, NW 5 from Hudson to Western, and NW 6 from Broadway to Western.

Brum blames the delay of the project on the project's $800,000 price tag.

City officials say the six-to-nine-month conversion process should get underway about a year from now."

Keith
09-08-2004, 09:44 AM
So, when is this suppose to happen? I've always hated one way streets downtown, and since I go downtown about 4 times a week, the one way streets become a hassle.

When I worked downtown, I could look out my office window and see people driving the wrong way on a one way street. They had no clue.

Patrick
09-08-2004, 12:34 PM
Ha! I've driven the wrong way down a one-way street in downtown before, at least for a short distance. It's definitely confusing. Well, from the way the article sounds, the project will start in a year and take about 8 months. So I'm guessing it will probably take 2 years from now for the project to be completed.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if it took longer. Afterall, the city has been saying they were going to make these changes for the past few years, but they haven't gotten the financing to do it yet.

mranderson
09-08-2004, 01:08 PM
I got use to the one way streets. All major cities have most downtown streets one way. Why should we be different.