View Full Version : Shadid actively recruits candidates to run against Meg Salyer

Urban Pioneer
08-04-2014, 09:41 AM
I only use that headline as I know this to be true despite his refuting the Gazette.

Eight months out, names emerge for council races | okgazette.com (http://okgazette.com/2014/08/01/eight-months-out-names-emerge-for-council-races/)

adaniel
08-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Jeez. So Meg calls out Ed on his BS and this is what she gets in return? Dirty, dirty, dirty.....

I hope Shadid is aware there are probably people being recruited to run against him.

PhiAlpha
08-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Jeez. So Meg calls out Ed on his BS and this is what she gets in return? Dirty, dirty, dirty.....

I hope Shadid is aware there are probably people being recruited to run against him.

Yes I hope this is the case.

Urban Pioneer
08-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Despite spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, Shadid did not even carry his own Ward in the Mayor's race. For that matter, any ward and/or any demographic.

This would be a great opportunity for a quality candidate.

DoctorTaco
08-04-2014, 04:12 PM
This thread:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WJGjJ7ZXum4/TiXSLWqV8AI/AAAAAAAABLI/hPZy1-kjQZA/s1600/ingsoc.jpg

kevinpate
08-04-2014, 04:20 PM
In a perfect world, Meg would have bought a small house in Ward 2 when the first whispers arose.

zookeeper
08-04-2014, 06:02 PM
I think Shadid is a narcissistic guy - but he's a politician. I'm failing to see what's wrong with working to recruit candidates that reflect your point-of-view for running for Salyer's seat? After all, the "establishment" has done it for years. I don't see that it's even a story worth the Gazette's time and attention, much less it's nothing for Shadid to be angry about. It's called democracy.

bradh
08-04-2014, 07:06 PM
zookeeper is right, but what is the story here is that Shadid is vehemently denying it when anyone with a brain in OKC knows that's a lie (unless this is another one of those "my team did this without my approval" things...seems to be his MO)

zookeeper
08-04-2014, 07:12 PM
zookeeper is right, but what is the story here is that Shadid is vehemently denying it when anyone with a brain in OKC knows that's a lie (unless this is another one of those "my team did this without my approval" things...seems to be his MO)

Yes, clearly, you are absolutely right. The angry denial is the story.

Mel
08-04-2014, 08:28 PM
I bet this is something all political parties do. Dr. Shadid just needs a better spin doctor. Sheeple are not that hard to influence.

Tier2City
08-04-2014, 08:51 PM
It's quite clear this article is a pack of lies.

"They said they were trying to build a coalition,” Langthorn said."

Everyone knows the idea of Shadid being able to build a coalition is preposterous.

soonerguru
08-04-2014, 08:53 PM
I think Shadid is a narcissistic guy - but he's a politician. I'm failing to see what's wrong with working to recruit candidates that reflect your point-of-view for running for Salyer's seat? After all, the "establishment" has done it for years. I don't see that it's even a story worth the Gazette's time and attention, much less it's nothing for Shadid to be angry about. It's called democracy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But read the Gazette piece. I guess Shadid thinks it's bad because he denies doing it, despite the fact he's doing it. Perhaps he's germane enough to determine that his linkage to another candidate may not actually work out for them too well, considering his miserable showing at the polls and inch-deep support base.

In fact, I think anyone who is recruited or linked to Shadid could be called out for it, and would likely lose.

zookeeper
08-04-2014, 10:44 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But read the Gazette piece. I guess Shadid thinks it's bad because he denies doing it, despite the fact he's doing it. Perhaps he's germane enough to determine that his linkage to another candidate may not actually work out for them too well, considering his miserable showing at the polls and inch-deep support base.

In fact, I think anyone who is recruited or linked to Shadid could be called out for it, and would likely lose.

I read the Gazette article before I posted. I agree with you 100% - as I do pahdz in his post after mine. Shadid has this problem of speaking before thinking. If he had thought it out, he wouldn't have been so defensive, and the whole thing could have been a non-issue.

And I agree, that's also fair game! I also agree with your conclusion. I think the surgeon personality in him won't allow him to be wrong, see himself as a liability, etc. Even though, anybody with any political instincts at all, understands he has zero political capital right now. In fact, to the contrary.

kevinpate
08-05-2014, 06:03 AM
How to kill an Idea in OKC ....

let it leak that DRED thinks the idea is just snazzy.

cagoklahoma
08-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Shadid's slogan for the next mayor's race is "I whole heartedly support Mick Cornett and believe in everything he stands for!"

It's the reverse King Midas, instead of everything he touches turning to gold it all turns to ... well you get the idea.

warreng88
08-05-2014, 09:39 AM
It's quite clear this article is a pack of lies.

"They said they were trying to build a coalition,” Langthorn said."

Everyone knows the idea of Shadid being able to build a coalition is preposterous.

The idea of Shadid building anything besides his own ego is preposterous...

jerrywall
08-05-2014, 10:08 AM
I bet this is something all political parties do. Dr. Shadid just needs a better spin doctor. Sheeple are not that hard to influence.

The problem? Partisan politics weren't traditionally a part of the OKC political scene. Until DRED that is... We have him to thank for bringing a feeling of national politics to the city level.

kevinpate
08-05-2014, 11:18 AM
The problem? Partisan politics weren't traditionally a part of the OKC political scene. Until DRED that is... We have him to thank for bringing a feeling of national politics to the city level.

IIRC, there was a lot of discussion of some other folks running that cycle, and/or the cycle before, that seemed to have a lot of money pouring in from sources that were not always very clear and running campaigns that were rather different than prior races.

Edgar
08-05-2014, 12:02 PM

bull, Cornett was the first to violate the nonpartisan tradition of OKC politics in his first mayoral race. You remember, he was the only true conservative in the race. Also the first not to allow a continuance on a vote when requested by a council member.

krisb
08-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Just remember, Meg and Mick are the ones caving to ODOT on the boulevard issue. Shadid is the only supporter of the no build option.

Dennis Heaton
08-05-2014, 12:18 PM
I just wanna say...I sure hate to see Councilman Ryan leaving. He and/or his staff have responded to every single letter and e-mail I have sent to him over the past 3 years. He has done a good job!

Urban Pioneer
08-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Krisb, Shadid has rolled over on the Boulevard for Eric Wenger (Public Works Director) to get his assistance with Western Avenue reconstruction and 39th street painting to placate constituents.

And, FBB has not endorsed the "no build" option.

Midtowner
08-12-2014, 08:53 AM
I really don't have any problem with Shadid recruiting people. The Chamber crowd certainly does the same thing--and to add to that, they fund their candidates through shady 501(c)(4) PACs. What I do have a problem with is any candidate who is supported by Shadid is almost certainly there to take another shot at the MAPS agenda. I'll be the first to admit that recent news has really raised some questions about MAPS in general, i.e., the quotes coming back on the whitewater rafting facility, but we need to let the process play out. I like Shadid as a councilman because he's definitely no one's stooge and thinks for himself. I don't like him because he thinks he's a lot smarter than he is, he's a political neophyte who tries and fails at cheap political stunts and he's actively working to subvert the will of the people.

bradh
08-12-2014, 09:41 AM
What's shady about bids coming in over estimates?

Midtowner
08-12-2014, 10:44 AM
What's shady about bids coming in over estimates?

Hypothetically, I could see a lot of popular projects being scrapped and the unpopular convention center built anyhow. If these bids keep coming in high and that's what ends up happening, one would have a difficult time arguing that this sort of bait and switch was always intended, but like I said, we'll have to see how it plays out.

bradh
08-12-2014, 11:29 AM
not really for this thread, but has it been discussed the change in landscape of the construction industry from 2009 to now? Lots of hungry contractors out there in 2009, many in the industry were suffering (contractors, suppliers, manufacturers). Fast forward to now, not as many hurting for work, especially those qualified to build this (whitewater) project. That kind of stuff is tough to forecast 4-5 years out.

Midtowner
08-12-2014, 11:35 AM
In that case, if something must be scrapped, it should be the convention center since it is demonstrably the least popular project.

But we all know that's not happening.

If the city is going to need more money to get all of the projects done, let's vote to extend the tax. We've won this thing before, we can win it again. MAPS must be a sacred trust with the public. We must build what we promise or we cannot count on future support. Failure to project that it would cost more to build in 2014 as compared to 2009, right after a financial collapse is pretty bush league.

GaryOKC6
08-12-2014, 11:43 AM
In that case, if something must be scrapped, it should be the convention center since it is demonstrably the least popular project.

But we all know that's not happening.

If the city is going to need more money to get all of the projects done, let's vote to extend the tax. We've won this thing before, we can win it again. MAPS must be a sacred trust with the public. We must build what we promise or we cannot count on future support. Failure to project that it would cost more to build in 2014 as compared to 2009, right after a financial collapse is pretty bush league.

Thankfully, scrapping the convention center is not an issue. If the convention center is so unpopular then you would thing that Shadid would have had more support in his bid for mayor. It is mostly the CAVE people who dot want the convention center. CAVE = Citizens Against Virtually Everything. It is funny how history can repeat itself. The same mentality tried to kill the Chesapeake Arena in the first MAPS. There were projects that came in under funded like the ballpark and yet we managed to get it funded and completed. I myself am looking forward to having a tier 1 convention center in okc. If we are going to do it then let's do it Right!

Midtowner
08-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Thankfully, scrapping the convention center is not an issue. If the convention center is so unpopular then you would thing that Shadid would have had more support in his bid for mayor. It is mostly the CAVE people who dot want the convention center. CAVE = Citizens Against Virtually Everything. It is funny how history can repeat itself. The same mentality tried to kill the Chesapeake Arena in the first MAPS. There were projects that came in under funded like the ballpark and yet we managed to get it funded and completed. I myself am looking forward to having a tier 1 convention center in okc. If we are going to do it then let's do it Right!

What happened with the Peake is we sort of did a halfass job on it and finished it with an extension of the MAPS tax. That's what needs to happen NOW with MAPS III. Ideally, time the vote with the next Council election. Careful about your characterization of your perceived opposition. You come off as very smug. The folks voting for MAPS are people who really pay attention to municipal government. If the city leaders start to abuse our trust, there will be hell to pay and we might just let the Ed Shadids of the world have a turn in the sandbox. Let's just try not to substantiate any of the Councilman's conspiracy theories. That'd be terrific for starters.