View Full Version : Free Television Viewing

RadicalModerate
08-02-2014, 11:22 PM
The other evening, I caught most of another Ken Burns take on revisionist history.
On one of the local Public Broadcasting Affiliates.
The subject of the review was Samuel Clements (a.k.a. Mark Twain, along with a host of other pseudonyms)
A figure from the past with whom it is impossible for me to be actually acquainted yet with whom I feel a certain kinship.
In the present.

The show is certainly worth a watch.
Part 2 is apparently lagging only slightly behind
On the Broadcast Schedule.

ljbab728
08-02-2014, 11:57 PM
The other evening, I caught most of another Ken Burns take on revisionist history.
On one of the local Public Broadcasting Affiliates.
The subject of the review was Samuel Clements (a.k.a. Mark Twain, along with a host of other pseudonyms)
A figure from the past with whom it is impossible for me to be actually acquainted yet with whom I feel a certain kinship.
In the present.

The show is certainly worth a watch.
Part 2 is apparently lagging only slightly behind
On the Broadcast Schedule.
I saw that also and enjoyed it very much. Not sure what you mean by revisionist history though. Do you think something was inaccurate?

RadicalModerate
08-03-2014, 12:09 AM
I saw that also and enjoyed it very much. Not sure what you mean by revisionist history though. Do you think something was inaccurate?

Nope.
Stay Tuned.

RadicalModerate
08-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Later.

RadicalModerate
08-03-2014, 06:09 AM
Having a little trouble posting some pics . . . technical difficulties I guess.

trousers
08-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Having a little trouble posting some pics . . . technical difficulties I guess.

I thought you were just building suspense.

RadicalModerate
08-03-2014, 09:13 AM
I thought you were just building suspense.

I wish that was the case . . . For some reason, my usual method of importing pics from where I store them in The Cloud (Facebook) [e.g. Right-Click Properties, Copy, Paste, put IMG in brackets to the left and IMG/ in brackets to the right] isn't posting the pic. Only the text. It has always worked in the past . . . Who the hell knows . . . It's probably some "improvement" Facebook has done recently to screw up what was working fine the last time I tried it.

ljbab728
08-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Part two was tonight. I totally missed this when it was first produced and it was excellent indeed. It tends to paint a very bitter sweet portrait of his life and in spite of all his success you end up feeling very sorry about how the last years of his life played out.

zookeeper
08-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Part two was tonight. I totally missed this when it was first produced and it was excellent indeed. It tends to paint a very bitter sweet portrait of his life and in spite of all his success you end up feeling very sorry about how the last years of his life played out.

I own this DVD set and have watched it several times through the years. I think it was one of Ken Burns' best. I agree, one would never know it from the outside, but he lived a mighty tortuous life, as you said, especially toward the end. Great man - larger than life type. His huge two-part "autobiography" is a great read, too. Long, but worth it.