View Full Version : Free Fish and Fries, Saturday, August 2

Dennis Heaton
08-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Free Fish and Chips, 11 AM to 3 PM, Saturday, August 2

Long John Silver's ? Long John Silver's ? Official Website (http://www.ljsilvers.com/)

kevinpate
08-01-2014, 01:18 PM
That's one way to turn over inventory.
I keed.

LJS is actually one on the rotation list for those neither of us really feels like cooking or going out nights.

Fish and chicken are acceptable, more so after being slightly doctored up a bit at the house. LJS does the corn cobblettes as well as anyone really. The rice, also after a bit of home touch up, works for me. Hushpuppies always need butter and black pepper though.

If they delivered, they'd probably get tagged more often. Of course, so would some other places.

ctchandler
08-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Kevin,
I'm a pepper freak, but pepper on hushpuppies? I can't wait to try it but I must say, I don't think I have ever considered using pepper on bread.
C. T.
Hushpuppies always need butter and black pepper though.

Dennis Heaton
08-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Kevin,
I'm a pepper freak, but pepper on hushpuppies? I can't wait to try it but I must say, I don't think I have ever considered using pepper on bread.
C. T.

C.T....I wondered about that myself. Shoot, everybody knows ya gotta splash those Puppies with a lil Louisiana Hot Sauce.

MadMonk
08-01-2014, 02:46 PM
C.T....I wondered about that myself. Shoot, everybody knows ya gotta splash those Puppies with a lil Louisiana Hot Sauce.
Hear hear! That and in shrimp sauce. I learned this from a guy I once knew who was from Lake Charles, LA.

Though black pepper on the hush puppies IS intriguing.

I haven't had LJS in years. My wife cannot tolerate the place, but I always liked their fish and hushpuppies as an occasional guilty pleasure. I've noticed their advertising lately (something about being "America's fish fry") and I've been sort of craving a LJS fix.

gjl
08-01-2014, 02:56 PM
I always heard LJS is one of the highest caloric/fat/unhealthy fast food restaurants you can eat at.

Dennis Heaton
08-01-2014, 03:01 PM
I always heard LJS is one of the highest caloric/fat/unhealthy fast food restaurants you can eat at.

Once in a blue moon isn't bad, unless it's on your list of foods you shouldn't eat.

kevinpate
08-01-2014, 03:20 PM
CT, hushpuppies are just itty bitty fried cornbread nuggets.
Bust them open, dip into soft butter, throw some pepper on it.
Let's face it, good black pepper makes just about everything better.

Achilleslastand
08-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Belch.............
Put them on my list of once better then average food joints that have been ruined by YUM foods.

Dennis Heaton
08-01-2014, 03:30 PM

Especially on 1776 Biscuits smothered in homemade milk gravy. Dang, I wish it was Fall!

kwhey
08-01-2014, 11:51 PM
Belch.............
Put them on my list of once better then average food joints that have been ruined by YUM foods.

Yum had ruined everything it has touched.

ctchandler
08-02-2014, 09:56 AM
And, your point is?

ctchandler
08-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Kevin,
I always dip them in butter but never tried the pepper, but I will now. I have said for years, I have no problem if my doctor(s) take away my salt (and I love salt), but I will never give up pepper. Fortunately, the two I asked couldn't think of anything that would require a low/no pepper diet.
C. T.
CT, hushpuppies are just itty bitty fried cornbread nuggets.
Bust them open, dip into soft butter, throw some pepper on it.

RadicalModerate
08-02-2014, 10:06 AM
I used to love something from Long John Silvers once in a while.
Especially soaking down the fish in that yummy vinegar.
This was back when I weighed 285 and my blood pressure was hovering around 200.

I haven't eaten there in over a year.
Here's why (click the link and scroll down):

Calories in Long John Silvers 2 Piece Fish N More - Calories and Nutrition Facts | MyFitnessPal.com (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/long-john-silvers-2-piece-fish-n-more-17258626)

Doesn't that seem like an awful lot of salt?
(And those are the calories without a soft drink.)

I still eat pan-seared, oven finished fish at least once a week.
No batter, no breading, just well-seasoned fish with some lime juice or wine or whatever.

Does this mean I wouldn't love a couple of LJS fish filets?
Nope. Just that I'd rather weigh about 220 with BP down around 130.
(only 20 more pounds to go to get to 200 . . . =)

Bunty
08-02-2014, 10:31 AM

One doesn't have to pick just their fried stuff. They have green beans and corn on the cob.

Dennis Heaton
08-02-2014, 10:33 AM
One doesn't have to pick just their fried stuff. They have green beans and corn on the cob.

As well as baked cod and cole slaw.