View Full Version : Doughnut places open past noon-2 PM?

TheTravellers
07-31-2014, 08:35 PM
Anybody know of any doughnut/donut places open past noon or 2 PM? Seems like all the Day/Sunlight ones along with all the other fairly generic ones do, and I think even the gourmet one closes that early too. Grocery store donuts don't cut it, tried them, just ehhh...

Pete
07-31-2014, 08:40 PM
Before long Hurts Doughnut will open in Norman (24 hours!) and have a food truck in operation.

I bet they will be all over OKC in the later hours.

pure
08-01-2014, 09:57 AM
I only know of the ones in Norman: Daylight Donuts/@Cafe on 12th and Lindsey is open until 5:00 PM, Donut King on Lindsey is open 24 hours, and soon Hurts Doughnut will be open 24 hours!

catch22
08-01-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure, but a few days ago I slept in till about 1015am. I decided to get donuts around 1030am. And I had to go to 5 donut stores to finally find one that was still open, the first 4 were closed/sold out by 1030-1045.

Joe Kimball
08-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Well, yeah; Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme.

TheTravellers
08-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Crap, thanks for the answers, sounds like I'm going to be pretty much outta luck since I don't live close to Norman. If only we had something like this:

Voodoo Doughnut - The Magic is in the Hole!!! (http://voodoodoughnut.com/index.php)

Open 24 hours except Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Year's, except one location that's only (only!) open until midnight... I'd be satisfied with one open until 4 PM! Hmmm, maybe that's how I'll make my fortune - incredibly cool doughnut shop open late (but not in Norman ;-) ).

Pete
08-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Dunkin Donuts doesn't work for you? They are open 24 hours in several locations.

Also, the Krispy Kreme at Penn & Memorial closes at 11AM then reopens from 6 to 11PM.

And how about Whole Foods? Nicer grocery stores usually have good baked goods.

TheTravellers
08-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Dunkin Donuts doesn't work for you? They are open 24 hours in several locations.

Also, the Krispy Kreme at Penn & Memorial closes at 11AM then reopens from 6 to 11PM.

And how about Whole Foods? Nicer grocery stores usually have good baked goods.

Eh, Dunkin and KK are OK, not much more than that for me, I only do the chocolate "kreme" filled from Dunkin, just do them very occasionally and wife isn't a fan of them at all (KK is too sugar-intense, not enough chocolate frosting on Dunkin's yellow cake/choc frosted, etc.). Odd hours for that KK, thought they all pretty much stayed open all day.

Whole Foods might work, haven't tried their donuts yet (but their Unikaas Reserve Gouda is one of the best cheeses I've ever had, beats anything TJ's has (unless they've started carrying it, we haven't been to one in years)), used to eat the ones from Crest, but they changed something about a year ago and I bit into one and went "bleah" (got sweeter, not as yeasty as before), I'll give WF a shot next time we're around there, thanks for the tip.

Pete
08-01-2014, 10:56 AM
When Updtown Grocery opens at May & Britton, I bet they'll be a great option.

Also, the soon-to-come WinCo has a great bakery.

TheTravellers
08-01-2014, 11:02 AM
When Updtown Grocery opens at May & Britton, I bet they'll be a great option.

Also, the soon-to-come WinCo has a great bakery.

Yes, definitely need to try Uptown's, we just haven't gotten to the Edmond one yet. And when we move further into the city, we'll have more options, I'm into donuts, but not enough to drive 30-40 minutes just to get one...

Joe Kimball
08-02-2014, 07:40 PM
The odd hours for Krispy Kreme are a new one on me! Did this happen around when the south side location closed?

Richard at Remax
08-06-2014, 10:15 PM
7-11?

TheTravellers
08-07-2014, 10:30 AM
7-11?

Tried them a few times, I think they were a bit too sweet (yeah, I know, sounds weird, but donuts *can* be too sweet/cake-like - Homeland's are awful), but thanks.

Pete
08-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Dunkin Donuts is opening their first location in Southern California next month and I have a bunch of friends who are anticipating this like OKC would be an IKEA.

In fact, when a bunch of us traveled to Florida to do a triathlon a few years back, they all demanded we go to Waffle House of all places.

Just goes to show the extent of the grass-is-always-greener mentality when it comes to restaurants and retail.

TheTravellers
08-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Dunkin Donuts is opening their first location in Southern California next month and I have a bunch of friends who are anticipating this like OKC would be an IKEA.

In fact, when a bunch of us traveled to Florida to do a triathlon a few years back, they all demanded we go to Waffle House of all places.

Just goes to show the extent of the grass-is-always-greener mentality when it comes to restaurants and retail.

Yeah, we jonesed for Sonic when we lived elsewhere, and funny enough, now that we're back and have had them a couple of times, eh, whatever, probably get corn dogs from them and that's about it in the future...

kevinpate
08-07-2014, 10:58 AM
... they all demanded we go to Waffle House of all places. ...

FWIW, I can't recall ever having a bad meal at a Waffle House. Not locally and not when I have been on the road.
Hot, fresh, dependable grub.

Pete
08-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Right, but I had lived in Oklahoma for 29 years and never been to a Waffle House or Dunkin Donuts or given either a second thought.

Then I get out here and find because they aren't available, many covet with a desire completely out of proportion.

I suppose I would feel the same about In-n-Out if I moved back to OKC, but the honest truth is that I only eat there about once a year even though I drive by one almost every day.

kevinpate
08-07-2014, 11:20 AM
I guess I can relate. When Five Guys rolled in, folks were constantly and loudly 5Gasming about the food.
Tried it a few times. Wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything to get all flummoxed over.
I drive past often, without even a thought of stopping in. It's probably worthy of top twelve status locally,
but for me anyway, they are not even top seven.

zookeeper
08-07-2014, 11:24 AM
I love Dunkin Donuts. Too much. It's a place we splurge on and then hope we can walk off the calories over the next few .... months.

kevinpate
08-07-2014, 11:28 AM
I'm a touch weird. Given the choice between an anything fruit or creme filled or covered anything, including regular glazing, and a bag of doughnut holes, especially still warm doughnut holes, it is no contest.

I am most assuredly a doughnut hole addict if ever there was one. No reason at all those bits of heaven should be so much better than some of the other offerings, but O.M.G! gimmie gimmie gimmie and pass another carton or glass of milk while you are at it.