View Full Version : Should your children take part in fundraisers?

Patrick
08-23-2005, 01:15 PM
My parents never allowed me to take part in fundraisers....they said they paid their taxes to pay for the schools and didn't see the purpose in having to raise more money for the schools via fundraisers. They never saw the point in having kids go out and beg for money.

What do you think?

Personally, I have a slightly different opinion than my parents. I think fundraisers teach children impotant people skills and responsibility.

Faith
08-23-2005, 01:27 PM
I will let me children participate. To me it was a fun experience to be involved in as a child and I would want my children to have the same experience.

PUGalicious
08-23-2005, 01:31 PM
My parents never allowed me to take part in fundraisers....they said they paid their taxes to pay for the schools and didn't see the purpose in having to raise more money for the schools via fundraisers. They never saw the point in having kids go out and beg for money.

What do you think?

Personally, I have a slightly different opinion than my parents. I think fundraisers teach children impotant people skills and responsibility.
I agree with your parents.

Schools start WAY too early in having kids do fundraisers. I'm generally opposed to it for the following reasons:

Kids' time can be much better spent on studies rather than hocking goods.
The education of our children is the responsibility of our society. They should not have to fund their own education by selling wares door to door.
If unaccompanied by parents (which is often the case), children are exposed to potentially dangerous situations, like knocking on the door of an unregistered pedophile. Such was the case in our neighborhood.
I'm not opposed to high schoolers raising funds for specific trips, activities or projects. But the current use of fundraisers, especially by the Edmond School District, starting with the youngest elementary students, is excessive and unreasonable.

Curt
08-23-2005, 02:59 PM
I think fundraisers teach children important people skills and responsibility.
I totally agree here.

mranderson
08-23-2005, 03:24 PM
They can also create some fond memories. I know I have a lot of memories of the fund raisers I did in Junior High and High School.

Dungeon Master
08-23-2005, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't mind it if there weren't so many functions doing it one right after the other.
My son would have to do one for school. then another one for boy scouts, then another one for sports. I'm sorry but I can only hit up my family, friends, my coworkers and neighbors only so much. But then taking the time to go out and solicit sales only to find out you made sales on someone elses turf. Ohhh, bad news.
But my son may make a great cars salesman some day.

Hey, were having a fund raiser at the Dungeon this weekend!!! (LOL)

Hannah
08-23-2005, 05:34 PM
The school fundraisers drive me nutso!! I understand they are necessary but I would almost rather give some money to the school.

Keith
08-23-2005, 08:22 PM
The school fundraisers drive me nutso!! I understand they are necessary but I would almost rather give some money to the school.
When I was going to school, our fundraisers were selling magazines and candles.....I hated it. We never did sell the good stuff, like candy bars.

Both of my kids have sold candy for fundraisers...wait...let me rephrase that.....I have sold candy for their fundraisers. Actually, I don't mind selling the candy bars, because the crews I work with buy them like crazy. I will admit, though, I really don't care for the fundraisers, such as Blue and Gold Sausage. Plus, there are so many people that I work with, somebody's child is always selling something.

Fortunately, the older the kids get, the less fundraisers they are required to participate in. My son is a senior this year, and he has NEVER liked participating in fundraisers. His day of peddling goods are over with. My daughter is in 7th grade, and I am hoping that her fundraising days over over with.

"I'm not opposed to high schoolers raising funds for specific trips, activities or projects. But the current use of fundraisers, especially by the Edmond School District, starting with the youngest elementary students, is excessive and unreasonable."

I do agree with this statement.

MadMonk
08-24-2005, 06:23 AM
My son just brought home a fundraising package and he just started pre-K. Its crazy! I'm paying money directly out of my pocket for his pre-k and they still want to do fundraisers?! I can understand about public schools doing this, but not when I pay a certain amount per month for him to attend. If they need money, just raise the rates. I guess I should be getting prepared for the coming years. On the plus side, I have relatives who owe me big-time for all the stuff I bought from their kids these past few years. :D

Dungeon Master
08-24-2005, 08:10 AM
I think I'll start a fund raiser to pay for gas for my truck. I'll have my son get envolved to raise money for gas for the lawn mower. That way he can get paid for mowing the yard.
Anyone want a candy bar? For a slightly higher fee ($10.00), I'll deliver it.

gemgirl
08-30-2005, 05:13 PM
I have mixed feelings about fundraising. I played sports all through school, and we HAD to fundraise in order to get new equipment, uniforms, etc. I support fundraising if it goes to a specific thing like a team or a trip, but I'm not too excited about vague ones for "the school." Everybody's kid is now selling stuff since school started, and there is an endless supply of fundraising catalogs in the breakroom at my work. Jeez, I hope they remember me when my 13-month-old starts school! :)

Keith
08-30-2005, 07:58 PM
I have mixed feelings about fundraising. I played sports all through school, and we HAD to fundraise in order to get new equipment, uniforms, etc. I support fundraising if it goes to a specific thing like a team or a trip, but I'm not too excited about vague ones for "the school." Everybody's kid is now selling stuff since school started, and there is an endless supply of fundraising catalogs in the breakroom at my work. Jeez, I hope they remember me when my 13-month-old starts school! :)
First of all, gemgirl, I want to welcome you to okctalk. This is a family friendly forum with lots of great members. We like to have a good time and we like to be serious. So, make yourself at home and enjoy.

As far as fundraisers go........I also hope that all of these people at work that I bought from, remembers me when my daughter is selling something. Actually, where I work, fundraiser solicitation has been banned. You can put a sign up in the breakroom, informing people you are selling something, but you aren't allowed to approach anyone and try to sell them something. There were so many complaints of employees getting harrassed by others that were selling things for their kids.

kahloist
09-27-2005, 03:20 AM
I believe that kids should make fundraising decisions for themselves. If forced into such situations, then it may deter them from future efforts.

rxis
12-11-2005, 05:58 PM
My cousin's teacher tried to force it onto her students. I guess when you are participating in an organization it is frowned upon if you don't contribute. I'd rather hand over a donation but I like to idea of teaching my daughter basic sales

BTW, my cousin's dad is the boss of over 40 employees. hehe...His children produce a lot of sales.