View Full Version : Almost a bad start to the day.

kelroy55
07-29-2014, 10:00 AM
There was a skunk at the end of my driveway when I opened the garage door this morning. I waited for him to mosey down the street before I fired the bike up. He went down about 4 houses and went into their yard. I started the bike and drove past the house with no problems.

Achilleslastand
07-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Reminds me of the time I opened the garage door and a squirrel ran in and got behind the washer/dryer. It took a while but a broom a water hose and a barking dog did the trick.

rezman
07-29-2014, 11:31 AM
Skunks are usually no big deal as long as you don't corner them or you aren't right up on them and startle them. I used to see them when we lived on our acreage and had no problems. There's a skunk that lives somewhere by our shop that I see frequently in the mornings when I unlock the gates at work. It is always dark at that time, and he/she will be rooting around in the grass and I get out and do my thing. I don't bother it and it doesn't bother me.

Bullbear
07-29-2014, 11:33 AM
I had mentioned in the "chickens" thread that my neighbors had got chickens thinking it was all legal and good to go. well they don't have chickens anymore. we evidently have a family of Racoons here in crestwood who like chickens.

kelroy55
07-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Skunks are usually no big deal as long as you don't corner them or you aren't right up on them and startle them. I used to see them when we lived on our acreage and had no problems. There's a skunk that lives somewhere by our shop that I see frequently in the mornings when I unlock the gates at work. It is always dark at that time, and he/she will be rooting around in the grass and I get out and do my thing. I don't bother it and it doesn't bother me.

I didn't seem to bother him/her. Looked at me for a few seconds and then went on it's merry way, I still waited for it to get a couple houses down before firing up the bike.

gjl
07-29-2014, 11:45 AM

Skunks are no problem until your dog sees one in the back of the yard at midnight and makes a bee line for it as fast as she can run. Then they can be a problem. :Smiley094

rezman
07-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Oh .. factoring in your dogs... absolutely. I had a Chow/Shepherd mix that cornered a skunk and got shot point blank in the mouth. He was sick for a couple days afterwards.

gjl
07-29-2014, 12:11 PM
My dog stopped about 5 feet away from the skunk and got sprayed. Luckily several wash and rinses with dog shampoo got the smell out of her. Wasn't something I was wanting to do at midnight though.

boscorama
07-29-2014, 07:14 PM
One dark night, driving on dirt near my house, I came up on a mother with baby skunks walking in the middle of the road in the same direction as myself. I kept my distance, keeping slow, until they turned in to a driveway. Cute.