View Full Version : Barking dog? Easy solution.

Pete
07-23-2014, 07:56 PM
I have a neighbor with two massive and aggressive German Shepherds, and they bark ferociously every time I step into my back yard or seemingly, when the wind blows.

The neighbors are actually very nice people and they love GSD's and clearly don't mind the barking. But I finally had enough and asked them nicely to take some action.

And lo and behold, the very next day there was utter silence. Has stayed that way since, and we are going on a couple of weeks now.

They told me they bought citronella collars which release a small spray upon barking, and that stopped them right away. Now, they usually don't even wear the collars, and it's still quiet.

Wanted to share this because it's such a common problem and there really does seem to be an easy solution. If you have a situation like this, print off the info and give it to your neighbor. Only about $30:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00987HPFO/ref=dra_a_sm_lb_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=4a251a2ef9bbf4ccc35f97aba2c9cbda

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Well done man.

Nice that your neighbors were understanding. I've never had an understanding neighbor about stuff like this (why I moved back into the sticks :D )

Roger S
07-24-2014, 05:56 AM
Going through this same problem with my new neighbor and her yappy dogs waking me up at 4 AM.

I was considering investing in a hand grenade to drop over the fence but I'll talk to her about this first.

kelroy55
07-24-2014, 06:23 AM
I wonder if that stops them from barking at somebody that comes into their back yard uninvited. Might be a case of the bite being worse than the bark :)

HangryHippo
07-24-2014, 08:26 AM
I used a spritz of vinegar on the neighbor's dog and it shut that yappy little thing up immediately. Any time it's needed, I just strolled over to the fence, sprayed it in the face, and that was that.

kelroy55
07-24-2014, 08:29 AM
I used a spritz of vinegar on the neighbor's dog and it shut that yappy little thing up immediately. Any time it's needed, I just strolled over to the fence, sprayed it in the face, and that was that.

My neighbor had a huge Rottie... don't think I'll be doing that.

Bullbear
07-24-2014, 08:30 AM
wow hadn't heard of that before. I like that much better than shock collars and the like.
I am a huge Dog lover and have a Springer spaniel who is an old man.. and a almost 1 year old Boxer mix.
they are inside with a doggie door to the back yard but they don't hang out in the yard much they want to be with their people. Luckily I don't have that barking dog problem but this is great for those who do!

PennyQuilts
07-24-2014, 08:41 AM
I used a citronella collar on one of my girls a number of years ago. She was a hard case with a bark that would shatter crystal. The instructions tell you not to leave it on them when you aren't there so it was less than effective as a complete halt. She sure hated the thing and would NOT bark when she had it on. All I'd have to do is ask her if she wanted the collar and she immediately stopped barking. A problem was our other dog thought it was a riot to stand close and bark at the collar, setting it off. She knew EXACTLY what she was doing, the turd.

Bullbear
07-24-2014, 08:44 AM
I used a citronella collar on one of my girls a number of years ago. She was a hard case with a bark that would shatter crystal. The instructions tell you not to leave it on them when you aren't there so it was less than effective as a complete halt. She sure hated the thing and would NOT bark when she had it on. All I'd have to do is ask her if she wanted the collar and she immediately stopped barking. A problem was our other dog thought it was a riot to stand close and bark at the collar, setting it off. She knew EXACTLY what she was doing, the turd.

Haha.. my kids would SOOOO do that.

HangryHippo
07-24-2014, 08:49 AM

Works on Rots as well. Just a light spritz that works best if it's on his nose. It should stop it.

betts
07-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Going through this same problem with my new neighbor and her yappy dogs waking me up at 4 AM.

I was considering investing in a hand grenade to drop over the fence but I'll talk to her about this first.

Why would anyone have their dogs out at night anyway? If I were a dog, I'd bark if left out all night too.

Roger S
07-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Why would anyone have their dogs out at night anyway? If I were a dog, I'd bark if left out all night too.

They have free access to the yard through a pet door.

Bullbear
07-24-2014, 08:53 AM
well I don't suggest you squirt anyones dog with vinegar.. but I wouldn't be scared of the ROttie.
best Dog I every had was a Female Rottie and she was the sweatest baby ever. Loved her so much.. Miss my Paulie.

ctchandler
07-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Betts,
Some of us have never owned an "indoor" dog. My Weimaraners didn't even try to come in the door. I really believe they enjoyed the freedom of being outside. Then, there's my son and his Weimaraner. He's a house dog, so who knew? My dogs didn't bark unless a stranger came down the drive.
C. T.

HangryHippo
07-24-2014, 10:03 AM
well I don't suggest you squirt anyones dog with vinegar.. but I wouldn't be scared of the ROttie.
best Dog I every had was a Female Rottie and she was the sweatest baby ever. Loved her so much.. Miss my Paulie.

Why not? It's completely pain free and stops the barking.

kelroy55
07-24-2014, 10:09 AM

I have a Pit and he's a big baby as well. They stand at their respective places on the opposite sides of the fence and bark at each other.

Bullbear
07-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Why not? It's completely pain free and stops the barking.

vinegar up the nose doesn't sound that good to me.. I just wouldn't

ctchandler
07-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Bullbear,
Vinegar doesn't hurt, it just irritates them. Actually, I know several joggers that carry a squirt bottle of a mixture of ammonia and water. They tell me that once you squirt them with it, they don't bother you anymore. Heck, if they squirted me with it, I certainly would leave them alone!
C. T.

Bullbear
07-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Bullbear,
Vinegar doesn't hurt, it just irritates them. Actually, I know several joggers that carry a squirt bottle of a mixture of ammonia and water. They tell me that once you squirt them with it, they don't bother you anymore. Heck, if they squirted me with it, I certainly would leave them alone!
C. T.

I will keep that in mind for crying babies where I am eating.. sorta kidding

PennyQuilts
07-24-2014, 11:17 AM
They have free access to the yard through a pet door.

Out of courtesy to the neighbors, they can shut the dog door at night. Our girls can go in and out too, but we shut the dog door if it's muddy or there are workmen in the back, etc.

PennyQuilts
07-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Bullbear,
C. T.
It may not injure them but a dog's sensitive nose would experience a world of pain. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it as a last resort but I'd sure hate to.

Roger S
07-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Out of courtesy to the neighbors, they can shut the dog door at night......

One would think they could do that.... I'm not sure she even knows they are doing it. When I'm home she is gone and when she's home I'm gone.... I did consider going over at 4 AM and ringing the door bell repeatedly but I don't want to escalate things.

trousers
07-24-2014, 12:27 PM
I will keep that in mind for crying babies where I am eating.. sorta kidding

The vinegar or the collars?

Bullbear
07-24-2014, 12:59 PM
The vinegar or the collars?

it would be prohibitive to put a collar on one of them.. but I bet with a good squirt bottle I could splash em from across the dining room

Teo9969
07-24-2014, 01:10 PM
it would be prohibitive to put a collar on one of them.. but I bet with a good squirt bottle I could splash em from across the dining room

It's called a super-soaker…And with open-carry laws, it probably wouldn't even be a problem to have one in a restaurant!

Rajah
07-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Changing your wifi name to "your dogs are annoying" is a funny passive approach.

Bunty
07-25-2014, 02:41 AM

I'd fear getting caught by the dog's owner doing that.

GoOKC1991
07-25-2014, 04:07 AM
Next door dogs bark constantly, they are never inside.

They are one Dachshund, one Pitbull and two Rotts. They have two dog houses and a dog pen, big pen like you see at the Animal Shelter

MadMonk
07-25-2014, 06:08 AM
One would think they could do that.... I'm not sure she even knows they are doing it. When I'm home she is gone and when she's home I'm gone.... I did consider going over at 4 AM and ringing the door bell repeatedly but I don't want to escalate things.

Sneak over one day and wire up a bark sensor from a collar to their doorbell, make sure the sensor is set to high sensitivity. Sit back and watch the fun. Mwahahahaaaa. ;)

Jersey Boss
07-25-2014, 06:37 AM
Next door dogs bark constantly, they are never inside.

They are one Dachshund, one Pitbull and two Rotts. They have two dog houses and a dog pen, big pen like you see at the Animal Shelter

You might want to check with the city offices where you live on the legal number of dogs allowed per residence.

ljbab728
07-25-2014, 09:17 PM
Here is another recent thread about this exact same subject.

http://www.okctalk.com/ask-anything-about-okc/36061-neighbors-dog-barking.html

Dubya61
07-30-2014, 01:23 PM

When I got married a Rottie came with the package. Some 20 years later, we still compare our current lot to her and none come close. We're gonna have to canonize her one of these days.

kelroy55
07-30-2014, 01:30 PM
You might want to check with the city offices where you live on the legal number of dogs allowed per residence.

I think in OKC it's 4.