View Full Version : Snowpiercer

Pete
07-22-2014, 06:47 PM
There is a new movie in limited release but as is the growing trend, you can also rent / buy it on Amazon Instant Video and a couple other on-line outlets.

I saw it last night and it's *fantastic*. Incredibly dark and violent in parts, but fascinating and extremely well directed and acted. Chris Evans (Captain America) shows a different side of himself; much more serious and retrained.

The basic premise is that an attempt to solve global warming backfires and causes the world to become a frozen wasteland. A few hundred people survive on a futuristic train that runs on perpetual motion and fuels it's own internal ecosystem. The group has divided into a very strict class system with gross inequalities.

In parts, it's nothing less than visually stunning.

It's far more interesting than it sounds and if you like action and also have a pretty strong constitution, I highly recommend.

94% on Rotten Tomatoes:

Snowpiercer - Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/snowpiercer/)

nX5PwfEMBM0

trousers
07-22-2014, 07:01 PM
I've been waiting for this. io9 has had some good write ups...I need to watch this soon

AP
07-22-2014, 07:02 PM
I saw it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Highly recommend.

Pete
07-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Rent / buy it now!! :)

It's difficult to describe, mainly because it's quite original in many ways.

It can be hard to watch, but I think many will consider it a revelation.

Martin
07-22-2014, 07:17 PM
i thought it was ok... the premise was a little too goofy for me to accept but overall it was a really unique concept that was well directed and well acted. i did appreciate some of the moral ambiguity that you don't typically find in american movies. glad i watched it.

however, tilda swinton's performance was genius imo. -M

kelroy55
07-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Looks interesting, I'll give it a try

zookeeper
07-22-2014, 08:03 PM
I'll have to see that. I am one of the last people in the whole country to see -----uh ----- Gravity. A little behind. I watched it last night and was blown away by the special effects but found the film, as a whole, pretty slow going. It was one of those, "let's just hurry up and find out how this ends," kind of movies for me. I know, I know, everybody seems to love it. It doesn't look like staying engaged will be a problem with Snowpiercer.

PennyQuilts
07-23-2014, 06:06 AM
I saw it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Highly recommend.

Loved the trailer. I didn't even know about this so appreciate the headsup - plan to see it.

codyt
07-29-2014, 12:21 PM
For those of you who really enjoyed this film, I encourage you to take it as an intro to exploring more Korean films. Take a look at Oldboy (2003) on Hulu Plus. It's a dark, often disturbing, beautiful, and brave film. Definitely earns it's R rating in many ways, so put the kids to bed first. It was remade recently with Josh Brolin but the original is head and shoulders above the remake.

Pete
07-29-2014, 12:33 PM
^

I really want to see Joon-ho Bong's previous film, The Host.