View Full Version : Mayor Humphreys...Cut Down Theses

Dennis Heaton
07-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Mayor Humphreys, "Cut down these weeds." (June 12, 1987)

BrettM2
07-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Nm

Dennis Heaton
07-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Nm

BrettM2...I just don't want to see it looking like this (down the street a few hundred yards)...

http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/current-events-open-topic/8715d1405870761-mayor-humphreys-cut-down-theses-017.jpg

BrettM2
07-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Completely understand. I was curious why you referenced Humphreys but then I realized I didn't know if this was OKC or a suburb. Did you mean Cornett?

Dennis Heaton
07-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Completely understand. I was curious why you referenced Humphreys but then I realized I didn't know if this was OKC or a suburb. Did you mean Cornett?

Actually, that particular parcel (NW OKC) is owned by the "Humphreys Company." I was simply showing ex-Mayor Kirk Humphreys the respect due him. And, I was just borrowing a line (somewhat modified) from President Reagan. :)

BrettM2
07-20-2014, 10:20 AM
That explains that!

RadicalModerate
07-21-2014, 08:15 AM
If a private citizen tried to let his or her lawn go unmowed to that point, it would never happen. The city would have posted a nuisance sign, then mowed it and sent the citizen an inflated bill for the mowing. I guess this indicates that "All Animals Are Equal, But Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others."

I'll leave it at that, on account of the thread title says something suggesting the length of a thesis.
(Theses is the plural form of thesis . . . ain't it?)

Just the facts
07-21-2014, 08:28 AM
Are those weeds or native vegitation? I thought we were on this xeriscape thing.

Rover
07-21-2014, 09:23 AM
If it is people we like it is xeriscape. If we don't like them it is nuisance weeds. ;)

RadicalModerate
07-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Rats . . . mice . . . snakes . . . ticks . . . (weeds) . . .

Perhaps if Humphreys tossed a couple of bucks in the direction of OSU, they could get a sign to post on the property saying:

OSU Urban Vegetation Experimental Test Site
Do Not Disturb Under Penalty of Law
Proceed With Caution Down the Concrete Public Walkway
Do Not Slip or Trip: We Are Not Responsible for Accidents of That Nature
Most ticks are only a nuisance. Most rats and mice don't carry disease.
Most snakes are harmless. Don't even think about the spiders.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

(I doubt that even Hitler would have allowed Unbated and Uncontrolled Xeriscaping.
(Except the Nazi Sign would have had Achtung and Verbotten written on it.
(Next to an eagle sitting on a swastika. Perhaps made out the X at the beginning of Xeriscaping? =)

(okay . . . okay . . . so I have an axe to grind: I need to go rent a lawnmower and get what remains of the lawn mowed today. Like, I should already be done with it and here I am writing a friggin' thesis fer cryin' out loud. geez. =)

RadicalModerate
07-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Are those weeds or native vegitation? I thought we were on this xeriscape thing.

You have to admit that, in any case, whatever they are, they are Organic.
I don't care if they are vegitation or vegetation.
Which points, obviously, to the fact that all Organic ain't organic.

RadicalModerate
07-21-2014, 09:49 AM
In Reference to The Official Sign in the photo, above: "No Parking On The Right of Way"

I can't help but wonder if--in this special, groundbreaking, instance--it would be acceptable for a passing motorist to park on what many might consider to be a "Wrong of Way" . . ? Whatever it is, it ain't a lawn. And we all know what an affront to Public Decency parking on a lawn is in the eyes of The Law . . .

Dang. I feel a song a-comin' on . . .
D59ZWa8ehgI

gjl
07-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Just think of that property as a huge CO2 sponge. ;)

RadicalModerate
07-21-2014, 10:09 AM
A SPONGE!!!
Of course!!! And with free CO2!
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121014113425/spongebob/images/4/4e/SpongeBob-Squarepants.png

(The cultural reference could have been worse . . . It could have been Scooby-Doo . . .
Or Power Rangers . . . Or Teletubbies . . . or Ninga Turtles--hiding out in the weeds, waiting to spring on their victims.)

Dennis Heaton
07-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Perhaps if Humphreys tossed a couple of bucks in the direction of OSU, they could get a sign to post on the property saying...

RM...Funny you should just happen to mention that. There are 2 signs posted on that property. Here is one of them and IT IS orange...