View Full Version : SUP! Stand Up Paddle Boarding in OKC

Urban Pioneer
07-19-2014, 12:36 PM
This didn't exactly seem appropriate in sports as that forum seems dominated by state and national sport franchise and athlete discussions.

A bunch of us regularly Stand Up Paddleboard or "surf Oklahoma style" on Lake Overholser, Lake Hefner, and the Oklahoma River.

Stand Up Paddle is actually one types of ways that traditional Hawaiians ride a board. In Hawaii the paddle is often used to navigate and to propel yourself up into position to catch waves.

In Oklahoma, the paddle is the only way you can propel yourself standing up on a surfboard unless you are in rapidly flowing a river. What people have figured out though is that propelling yourself around standing up is an incredible work out and a cool way to interact with the water and nature.

There is a mobile truck, Flat Tide Surf, that drives to Overholser, Hefner, and the Boathouse District and rents the boards. When I first started doing this, there were probably 3 -5 people going out. Now it is 10 - 20 people at a time.

I will send some pics to Pete for posting. If you ever want to go, feel free to hit me up. There are also regular bootcamp work outs and yoga classes.

I am a traditional long board surfer. But I gotta admit, SUP is fun when we don't have an ocean near OKC.

Dennis Heaton
07-19-2014, 12:51 PM
I have always enjoyed watching them especially on the windier days (duh). I used to take my son out to Hefner, to what I believe they used to call, "Hobie Point." Ain't seen one shoot the tube though...yet! :)

OKCisOK4me
07-19-2014, 01:09 PM
I recently went kayaking for the first time. That was fun and I wouldn't mind trying SUP. Just don't know when I'd be able to do it next...

Urban Pioneer
07-21-2014, 08:15 AM
I have always enjoyed watching them especially on the windier days (duh). I used to take my son out to Hefner, to what I believe they used to call, "Hobie Point." Ain't seen one shoot the tube though...yet! :)

I think you are referring to kite surfing... Which is also very cool. Some of those guys have real talent. SUP is an extremely zen sport whereas kite surfing is pretty radical. lol Will send some pics to Pete at some point.

onthestrip
07-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Is the Flat Tide Surf mobile truck the only place to rent a board at Overholser? And are they typically there on weekends and where at the lake exactly?

Dennis Heaton
07-21-2014, 12:03 PM
I think you are referring to kite surfing... Which is also very cool. Some of those guys have real talent. SUP is an extremely zen sport whereas kite surfing is pretty radical. lol Will send some pics to Pete at some point.

You are right...it was kite surfing. Thanks! :-)

Urban Pioneer
07-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Is the Flat Tide Surf mobile truck the only place to rent a board at Overholser? And are they typically there on weekends and where at the lake exactly?

They have the quality boards. I believe you can rent the cheap plastic ones at the Overholser boathouse anytime. The surf truck is there Friday, Sat, and Sunday. Usually 5 - 10 on weekends by the 39th street Route 66 historic bridge. They rent "real" boards. Friend them on Facebook to stay aprised.

Urban Pioneer
07-21-2014, 09:24 PM
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005582858929