View Full Version : Tulsa 66er's to move to OKC

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bullbear
07-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Didn't see a post of this but thought it was interesting.. if someone already had it posted feel free to move this.

Thunder To Move 66ers To OKC - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/26055434/thunder-to-move-66ers-to-okc)

Pete
07-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Thunder officials are currently in discussions with the City of Oklahoma City to play the team’s 24 regular-season home games at the Cox Convention Center in downtown Oklahoma City, directly across the street from Chesapeake Energy Arena. Along with the move of the team, the business and basketball operations of the D-League team will also relocate to Oklahoma City. The team will train at the Thunder Community Events Center in Edmond, the original training home of the Thunder from 2008-11. The move of the 66ers is subject to NBA D-League approval.

Interesting.

Just a little more to do downtown.

Dennis Heaton
07-18-2014, 01:49 PM
I just wish "they" would rename the Arena to "Thunder Arena," or just something with the Thunder name in it.

Bullbear
07-18-2014, 01:51 PM
I just wish "they" would rename the Arena to "Thunder Arena," or just something with the Thunder name in it.
Da Thunder Dome!!!! lol

Mississippi Blues
07-18-2014, 01:52 PM
#SaveOur66ers

bombermwc
07-18-2014, 01:53 PM
I'm wondering why they didn't pursue something at the TCC. It's twice the size of Spirit, but about half of Cox. I mean the BOK is going to be way too expensive compared to the crappy little Spirit Bank place. But at 4,500, heck the UMAC is bigger than that. Moving to the Cox is going to make them feel like no one is at the game. In Tulsa that's the only pro or semi pro basketball IN town. If you can't fill a 4,500 seat place there, what makes you think you can fill one 3 times the size in a similar sized city that has an NBA team here too? Im just afraid it's not a good move for them. I just don't understand why they wouldn't move to TCC.

Pete
07-18-2014, 02:00 PM
They may have determined it was better to have all their operations in OKC. It says the 66ers will use the Thunder practice facility.

The "we couldn't find a good location in Tulsa" line may just be an excuse to move to them down.

Bullbear
07-18-2014, 02:01 PM
They may have determined it was better to have all their operations in OKC. It says the 66ers will use the Thunder practice facility.

The "we couldn't find a good location in Tulsa" line may just be an excuse to move to them down.

Actually they will use the Thunders Old practice facility.

Dustin
07-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Wow. Tulsa probably REALLY hates us now!

:D:D:D

AP
07-18-2014, 02:07 PM
lol tulsa

bradh
07-18-2014, 02:14 PM
love this move, it's great for the organization

FighttheGoodFight
07-18-2014, 02:15 PM
This is an interesting move.

Do you think Tulsa no longer wanted this?

Laramie
07-18-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm wondering why they didn't pursue something at the TCC. It's twice the size of Spirit, but about half of Cox. I mean the BOK is going to be way too expensive compared to the crappy little Spirit Bank place. But at 4,500, heck the UMAC is bigger than that. Moving to the Cox is going to make them feel like no one is at the game. In Tulsa that's the only pro or semi pro basketball IN town. If you can't fill a 4,500 seat place there, what makes you think you can fill one 3 times the size in a similar sized city that has an NBA team here too? Im just afraid it's not a good move for them. I just don't understand why they wouldn't move to TCC.

Oklahoma City 66ers?

If the Thunder wanted to break-even or make a modest D-League profit; Wichita, Lawton, Enid or Topeka probably would have been a better option. The NBA D-League franchise is moving to the Cox Convention Center where there will probably be some spill-over support since the Peake has been a sellout for the Thunder for four and a half seasons.

This is an interesting move.

Do you think Tulsa no longer wanted this?

The UMAC (5,662-seat Union Multipurpose Activity Center) would have been a good option; however its Tulsa's pride. Let's agree on one thing, Tulsa did not like to play the role of farm city to its big sister--can you blame them.

'The team will train at the Thunder Community Events Center in Edmond, the original training home of the Thunder from 2008-11.'Thunder NBA Development League Team to Relocate to Oklahoma City | Oklahoma City Thunder (http://www.nba.com/thunder/news/release_66ers_140718)

Will this move to the Cox CC put the squeeze on the AHL Barons?

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif

Throckmorton
07-18-2014, 02:21 PM

66ersgate!

bombermwc
07-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Wichta would be a great location. Wichita State has an EXCELLENT basketball tradition and Intrust Arena is about the size of the Cox Center. But they would be the only PRO basketball in the state. Intrust is about 5k more seats than the WSU arena...think Lloyd Noble to The Peake.

Maybe they'll hang out in OKC until they can make a comfortable deal for the next year. I honestly don't think it's a good idea to put your farm team in the same city as your pro team....and especially not in a city the size of OKC. The Thunder will definitely survive, but I'm not so sure about the 66ers....or as mentioned, The Barons. Something's gotta give 'cause there just aren't enough people to support it all. Heck, look at the Redhawks. Attendance there SUCKS! Of course they suck pretty hard as a team ever since the switch to the Astros too. No one in OKC cares about the Astros. You cant drive 3 hours and be in a pro game in Arlington and have people you recognize float between the two cities. Maybe with the 66ers in Wichita, they would be free of feeling like OKC leftovers like Tulsa did. And with the feeder/parent relationship, maybe we could see some I-35 traffic attracted.

Zuplar
07-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Not surprising as this is going to start being a trend for farm teams in all sports.

bradh
07-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Wichta would be a great location. Wichita State has an EXCELLENT basketball tradition and Intrust Arena is about the size of the Cox Center. But they would be the only PRO basketball in the state. Intrust is about 5k more seats than the WSU arena...think Lloyd Noble to The Peake.

Maybe they'll hang out in OKC until they can make a comfortable deal for the next year. I honestly don't think it's a good idea to put your farm team in the same city as your pro team....and especially not in a city the size of OKC. The Thunder will definitely survive, but I'm not so sure about the 66ers....or as mentioned, The Barons. Something's gotta give 'cause there just aren't enough people to support it all. Heck, look at the Redhawks. Attendance there SUCKS! Of course they suck pretty hard as a team ever since the switch to the Astros too. No one in OKC cares about the Astros. You cant drive 3 hours and be in a pro game in Arlington and have people you recognize float between the two cities. Maybe with the 66ers in Wichita, they would be free of feeling like OKC leftovers like Tulsa did. And with the feeder/parent relationship, maybe we could see some I-35 traffic attracted.

Hey now, I care about the Astros!

What you should realize about the 66ers is, they don't exist to make money, it's to develop players. I think it could be nice having the farm here, to be that close to the parent club.

bradh
07-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Not surprising as this is going to start being a trend for farm teams in all sports.

So true

Anonymous.
07-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Honestly I bet this has more to do with the team and organization than anything.

Now all operations will be in OKC - no more traveling the turnpike (although it wasn't hard).

Now the players on the active OKC roster can easily attend and coach and be involved with the D leaguers without making a trip out of it.

This is a good move for the overall chemistry.

KenRagsdale
07-18-2014, 02:48 PM

Oklahoma City Redhawks game attendance is better than most, less than others:

BaseballAmerica.com: Stats (http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/leagues/attendance/?lg_id=6&y=2014)

2012 Baseball Attendance by Average | News (http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201209245609/attendance/news/2012-baseball-attendance-by-average)

jccouger
07-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Its a good move for the Thunder in being able to scout upcoming talent.

Also, I just gotta believe OKC residents are more interested in attending 66ers games than residents of any other city in the world. Attendance will sky rocket. People that are obsessed with the Thunder will gladly pay less money to go watch future Thunder players.

kwhey
07-18-2014, 02:53 PM

No

warreng88
07-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Will this move to the Cox CC put the squeeze on the AHL Barons?

I have a feeling this will be the last year of the Barons.

kwhey
07-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Definitely putting the squeeze on the Barons.

GoOKC1991
07-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Yeah, the Barons are done after this season. Connect the pieces

1. NOTHING heard about an extension with the Cox Center
2. Prodigal turning their attention to soccer
3. Now this

zookeeper
07-18-2014, 03:09 PM
I remember when the Oklahoma City Cavalry of the old Continental Basketball Association played at the Myriad. They curtained off a large portion of the arena and made the crowd sizes look respectable. Whatever happened to Chip Land?

bombermwc
07-18-2014, 03:19 PM
The Cavies were good too (for their class) and won the league a few times. The upper section was curtained off for the Davis Cup tennis matches. This was the OOOOld days before there were screens in there too so they carted in screens that they stuck up at the upper levels. The place actually looked better with the curtains than it did with the walls visible back then!!!!

Tossing the Blazers was the #1 worse sports decision made in OKC. The Barons just never caught on. It's one thing when you lose your team because they move or the league closes down. But when the owners make a conscious decision to kill it off to "up a level" in league, the fans don't follow. It's not NHL <- which isn't doing great anyway. We had history and loyalty with CHL Blazers...we just don't care about the Barons the same way. I just hope the renovations made for the Barons will transfer over to the 66ers in a meaningful way so we don't just lose a lot of cash on the deal. That's city money, so I'd really prefer the 66ers make money so the city gets a good bang out of our renovation bucks.

Laramie
07-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Oklahoma City Redhawks game attendance is better than most, less than others:

BaseballAmerica.com: Stats (http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/leagues/attendance/?lg_id=6&y=2014)

2012 Baseball Attendance by Average | News (http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201209245609/attendance/news/2012-baseball-attendance-by-average)

Here is an updated site on PCL attendance:

Pacific Coast League Attendance | Pacific Coast League Stats (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_att&lid=112&sid=l112)

love this move, it's great for the organization

This will be the trend of major professional sports teams (MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS) to have their top feeder organizations close to the parent club.

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif

bombermwc
07-18-2014, 03:31 PM
I guess they aren't doing as bad comparatively as it feels. The place just looks so empty at a game these days and all of my experiences in the past were of a full house...of course that was back at the fairgrounds and when the Brick was new. When you do go to a game for 10 years, the "newness" wares off a lot for the public. Middle ground isn't terrible considering we're consistent with Memphis and Salt Lake (other cities of similar size with only a pro team, being NBA). And doing better than most cities that have the PCL team as their "major" sports club. It is interesting how many NBA cities are on that list though....

Zuplar
07-18-2014, 03:35 PM
I went to a Redhawks game 2 weeks ago on a Tuesday and it was pretty dead. No idea what attendance was though. Unfortunately for OKC, I expect the Astro's to no longer be the affiliate (thank goodness) and even if we do get picked up by the Rangers (hopefully), I doubt it lasts long (shucks). I think the Rangers want their AAA nearby.

Pete
07-18-2014, 03:36 PM
The Redhawks have not been very competitive and that doesn't help.

Also, there is simply a lot more to do now in OKC than just a few years ago.

There is much more competition for entertainment dollars these days, and I don't see the Redhawks promoting themselves nearly as well as the Energy.

zookeeper
07-18-2014, 03:57 PM
I went to a Redhawks game 2 weeks ago on a Tuesday and it was pretty dead. No idea what attendance was though. Unfortunately for OKC, I expect the Astro's to no longer be the affiliate (thank goodness) and even if we do get picked up by the Rangers (hopefully), I doubt it lasts long (shucks). I think the Rangers want their AAA nearby.

I hear this talk a lot, but I don't understand. Has ownership changed with the Redhawks? I didn't think the major league teams actually own their AAA teams, they only sign affiliate agreements. Not sure about AA or A. Am I wrong? Have things changed? If nothing has changed, there's no worry about losing the Redhawks, as we would only lose and/or pickup affiliations. Last I knew, the Redhawks were owned by Mandalay Entertainment.

bradh
07-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Redhawks are over .500 this year, and made the playoffs last year I think? The Astros farm system is loaded right now, if you want to catch some good young players moving through, these next couple years are your shot.

Pete
07-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Redhawks are over .500 this year, and made the playoffs last year I think? The Astros farm system is loaded right now, if you want to catch some good young players moving through, these next couple years are your shot.

Yes, you are completely right. I retract my statement about them not being competitive because I looked back several years and they've done pretty well.

shawnw
07-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Redhawks attendance is up and down depending on the day of the week. My daughter works for the team and says Thrusday through Sunday is always "decent" attendance (Thursday is packed because of $1 beer night) but Monday-Wed is always almost empty and if it rains forget about it.

Disclaimer: This is from a 16 YO girl, so... "decent" for her means who knows what... except to say that she gauges things based on if there are enough people for her to choose from regarding the skits she has to do...

BG918
07-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Tossing the Blazers was the #1 worse sports decision made in OKC. The Barons just never caught on. It's one thing when you lose your team because they move or the league closes down. But when the owners make a conscious decision to kill it off to "up a level" in league, the fans don't follow. It's not NHL <- which isn't doing great anyway. We had history and loyalty with CHL Blazers...we just don't care about the Barons the same way. I just hope the renovations made for the Barons will transfer over to the 66ers in a meaningful way so we don't just lose a lot of cash on the deal. That's city money, so I'd really prefer the 66ers make money so the city gets a good bang out of our renovation bucks.

They used to nearly pack the house for Blazers games. The CHL rivalry with the Tulsa Oilers was huge in the 90's. But as someone mentioned minor league sports have been on the decline for awhile.

KenRagsdale
07-18-2014, 04:55 PM
I hear this talk a lot, but I don't understand. Has ownership changed with the Redhawks? I didn't think the major league teams actually own their AAA teams, they only sign affiliate agreements. Not sure about AA or A. Am I wrong? Have things changed? If nothing has changed, there's no worry about losing the Redhawks, as we would only lose and/or pickup affiliations. Last I knew, the Redhawks were owned by Mandalay Entertainment.

The Texas Rangers attempted to buy the Oklahoma City Redhawks franchise earlier this year, but Mandalay turned down the offer:

Oklahoma scene: Texas Rangers tried to buy RedHawks, according to report | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-scene-texas-rangers-tried-to-buy-redhawks-according-to-report/article/3977928)

With that kind of money sloshing around, Oklahoma City is in no danger of losing its AAA status.

The parent club owns performance contracts for all minor league players in the United States. The players are "assigned" to minor league franchises at the various levels, with one exception.

AAA, AA, High A and Low A players are assigned to the various franchises under agreement with the parent club. Rookie leagues are located in Arizona and Florida. The teams are owned by the respective Major League Baseball clubs.

zookeeper
07-18-2014, 05:03 PM
The Texas Rangers attempted to buy the Oklahoma City Redhawks franchise earlier this year, but Mandalay turned down the offer:

Oklahoma scene: Texas Rangers tried to buy RedHawks, according to report | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-scene-texas-rangers-tried-to-buy-redhawks-according-to-report/article/3977928)

With that kind of money sloshing around, Oklahoma City is in no danger of losing its AAA status.

The parent club owns performance contracts for all minor league players in the United States. The players are "assigned" to minor league franchises at the various levels, with one exception.

AAA, AA, High A and Low A players are assigned to the various franchises under agreement with the parent club. Rookie leagues are located in Arizona and Florida. The teams are owned by the respective Major League Baseball clubs.

I still don't understand. If Mandalay Entertainment owns the Redhawks, how are the minor league teams owned by their respective MLB teams?

theparkman81
07-18-2014, 05:30 PM
I think this is a great move, but we'll wait and see if they play some place after the Cox is gone, it be great to see them move to the suburbs, my question is whats next, will the Tulsa Shock move down here next.

Snowman
07-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Honestly I bet this has more to do with the team and organization than anything.

Now all operations will be in OKC - no more traveling the turnpike (although it wasn't hard).

Now the players on the active OKC roster can easily attend and coach and be involved with the D leaguers without making a trip out of it.

This is a good move for the overall chemistry.

It could allow players that are doing only one or two games in the d-league to continue practicing with the full squad.

Might be interesting if they could use the 66ers like a scout team.

Plutonic Panda
07-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, by saying The Redhawks are done, is that saying they are moving out of OKC?

KenRagsdale
07-18-2014, 07:22 PM
I still don't understand. If Mandalay Entertainment owns the Redhawks, how are the minor league teams owned by their respective MLB teams?

The rookie leauge teams are owned by their respective MLB clubs. The players you watch at the AAA, AA, HighA and Low A level are under contract to/with the MLB clubs, but assigned to minor league franchise teams. Most US minor league teams have affiliate agreements with a MLB club. In addition, there are a handful of independent US leagues and teams, with no affiliation whatsoever.

Urbanized
07-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Is this thread about the Redhawks or the 66ers?

zookeeper
07-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Is this thread about the Redhawks or the 66ers?

I think it (quite naturally) spread into a "minor league" discussion. Sorry, if it was off-topic. Back to regularly scheduled programming.

Richard at Remax
07-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Should re-brand them the 89ers

Snowman
07-19-2014, 02:28 PM

I would rather leave it named after the road and leaving the 89ers to my childhood memories.

I had not realized till this move that Tulsa's founding date was actually pretty vague, I had kind of expected it might have been around OKC in a similar manor but had never looked it up before, it was apparently settled between 1828 and 1836 and only later incorporated in January 18, 1898. It seems kind of shocking that even in the 1820's/1830's they could not pin it down to at least the month of a year or even a season of a year.

Jake
07-19-2014, 04:58 PM
The Oklahoma City 66ers is quite the tongue-twister.

warreng88
07-19-2014, 09:04 PM
The Oklahoma City 66ers is quite the tongue-twister.

Anybody with a lisp would be pissed...

Mel
07-19-2014, 09:30 PM
It will make the call up a quicker trip.

Snowman
07-20-2014, 01:51 AM
It will make the call up a quicker trip.

While I knew that there was clearly not much limits to the transition time, since guys had gone down and up within 48 hours playing only one game, I did not realize it was pretty just on the parent teams wim (well I guess they might not be able to after the game starts). In any case if it ups the rotations of our 1st & 2nd year players, it should up the watch ability of the games.

On another note, given how well the school field trip seemed to work last year (nearly a quarter of all attendance for the 66ers season in one game), it seems like that might indicate a good way to use the team, I do not know how many schools were involved but that could probably be expanded. I could see it also being a convenient add on for Thunder season ticket holders with smaller children to bring children to a cheaper game.

Zuplar
07-20-2014, 04:38 PM
I kind of hope they get re-branded. OKC 66ers doesn't sound good IMO. Maybe we can call them the OKC Boomers so Berry Tramel can fee like he won, although not quite.

Snowman
07-20-2014, 04:54 PM
I kind of hope they get re-branded. OKC 66ers doesn't sound good IMO. Maybe we can call them the OKC Boomers so Berry Tramel can fee like he won, although not quite.

Boomers seems a weak brand name to begin with, most people nationally will think of Baby Boomers if they hear it. With an NBA team here already it always being essentially a JV squad, it is just going to be hard to make a strong brand on it's own. Either just keep the name or switch to something associated with thunder to at least make it look like tighter integration with the parent organization.

Urbanized
07-20-2014, 05:29 PM
Seems like the OKC location has been somewhat forced upon them, and doesn't make THAT much sense long-term. I would think the best fit ultimately would be to put it someplace like Wichita. They have a great building, are within the "bubble" that OKC wants to appeal to, are roughly as close/accessible to OKC, and you don't have to worry that the market would consider itself above supporting a farm club for an OKC-based team.

Snowman
07-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Seems like the OKC location has been somewhat forced upon them, and doesn't make THAT much sense long-term. I would think the best fit ultimately would be to put it someplace like Wichita. They have a great building, are within the "bubble" that OKC wants to appeal to, are roughly as close/accessible to OKC, and you don't have to worry that the market would consider itself above supporting a farm club for an OKC-based team.

I read that as PR spin from both the team and arena promoter, I do not doubt it was not making any money in Tulsa from the actions of the bank now running the arena, I think the team just wanted to move out in a manor that would not piss people off in Tulsa. There is a different arena they used for at least a few seasons in downtown Tulsa and only left two years ago that they are now saying no longer meets their needs, they also have connections in Wichita and from at least what has been said to date indicates they did not try to use. It seems more like they decided that they might as well just make it more convenient for players, coaches and management to handle the development side, also reducing overhead a little. If it helps accelerate development of new Thunder players then it probably will be worth more from maintaining/improving Thunder ticket value than a D League team will make in any city.

Laramie
07-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Doubtful if this is a long-term move. There will be nearby cities who will pursue an NBA D-League franchise.

The NBA-Development affiliate owned by the Thunder was caught off guard. They still own the practice facility in Edmond; so there are a lot of pluses for the move to OKC.

While we still have a demand for NBA tickets in OKC; NBA D-League could be an alternative. The team will remain here as long as they break-even.

kevinpate
07-20-2014, 06:37 PM
FWIW, I don't see one thing bad about keeping the name the 66ers and just adding Oklahoma City, or, save the firestorm, puh-leeese, simply Oklahoma on the front end.

If being in T-town isn't making it happen for whatever reason, bring 'em on down the Turner and see how that plays out.

GoThunder
07-20-2014, 06:47 PM
89ers or Cavalry would be awesome IMO.

Just the facts
07-20-2014, 07:23 PM
How about Thunder II.

It works for the LA Galaxy, MTV, and ESPN. On the other hand, it didn't work for the Ford Mustang.

Mel
07-20-2014, 08:11 PM

They support their "Thunder" hockey fairly well. Our D-league team would be a good fit. They would enjoy a B-ball team one step below the NBA.

mugofbeer
07-20-2014, 08:28 PM
If the Thunder is the NBA team, maybe the "D" league team can be The Rumble :)