View Full Version : Malaysian Airline Hit By Missile near Russian Border

Pages : [1] 2

Dennis Heaton
07-17-2014, 10:00 AM
KOKH FOX 25 News, Oklahoma

BREAKING NEWS

An adviser to Ukraine's Interior Minister says a Malaysian passenger plane carrying 295 people was flying at 10,000 feet when it was hit by a missile near the Russian border.

Developing information from our sources: Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine (http://bit.ly/1qKCFOF)

kevinpate
07-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Just a correction ... flying at altitude of 10,000 meters, about 33,000 feet, when the plane was shot down

MadMonk
07-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Yikes. Has there been any real confirmation that it was shot down? With it cruising at altitude, it doesn't seem likely that it just drops out of the sky; even if it were having problems, there would be a mayday call (maybe even if it was shot down unless it was a catastrophic event that didn't give them time to call).

Urbanized
07-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Malaysian Prime Minister and some Ukrainian officials have confirmed that it was shot down. Amsterdam to Kuala Lampur route, BTW.

kelroy55
07-17-2014, 10:17 AM
CNNdoesn't say anything about it being shot down

(CNN) -- A Malaysia Airlines flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur has crashed in eastern Ukraine, Russian news agency Interfax reported Thursday.

Malaysia Airlines confirmed that it lost contact with MH17, and the flight's last known position was over Ukrainian airspace, the airline said on Twitter.

Malaysia Airlines has lost contact of MH17 from Amsterdam. The last known position was over Ukrainian airspace. More details to follow.
— Malaysia Airlines (@MAS) July 17, 2014

The jet is a Boeing 777, according to Interfax.

The plane reportedly went down near the border between Russia and Ukraine.

Urbanized
07-17-2014, 10:18 AM
It was shot down. SAM. Third plane shot down in the area in the past week or so.

RadicalModerate
07-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Sumbitch/Dang.
(one more example of stuff outside of my Circles of Influence and Concern)
(and I am neither a Communist (Russian) nor a "Mormon" =)

kelroy55
07-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Somebody's got some splannin' to do.

RadicalModerate
07-17-2014, 10:21 AM
It was shot down. SAM. Third plane shot down in the area in the past week or so.

Perhaps they need more stringent "missile control laws" in the Former Soviet Union?
I'm thinkin' perhaps Malaysia should be the focus of concern?
Didn't Tim McVey once visit Malaysia?
Or was that The Philippines?

Urbanized
07-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Somebody's got some splannin' to do.

I was just going to post that. Specifically Russia, even if it was actually Ukrainian separatists. If they have SAM capability at that altitude, it came from Russia. They just REALLY stepped in it, it seems. Of course if Russia steps in it, ALL of us have a problem.

bradh
07-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Seemed smart to have a flight plan over a known conflict area

RadicalModerate
07-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Seemed smart to have a flight plan over a known conflict area

There ya' go . . .

RadicalModerate
07-17-2014, 10:28 AM
"Fog of War" . . . (etc. and so forth) . . .
(total bullsh!te) (imho)
accusations . . . and aspersions . . . being cast in all directions . ..
geez. (replete with 3-D animations off to the side of apparently human talking heads swirling on the sidebar)

RadicalModerate
07-17-2014, 10:32 AM
"Cryptic Report" was just thrown into the mainstream media mix.
now I'm worried a little.
"Crucial" . . .
"We rely on Flight Aware.Com for our Information."

Time to go to Classical Radio on NPR . . .

PennyQuilts
07-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Awful. And beyond the obvious tragedy, that a passenger jet was shot down at 33,000 feet is enough to raise the hair on the back of your neck - especially if this was done by a rebel group. Reports are mixed, at this point.

kelroy55
07-17-2014, 10:47 AM
I was just going to post that. Specifically Russia, even if it was actually Ukrainian separatists. If they have SAM capability at that altitude, it came from Russia. They just REALLY stepped in it, it seems. Of course if Russia steps in it, ALL of us have a problem.

Ukraine may also have some of those Soviet missiles since they were recently part of the Soviet Union. I'm sure there are lot of 'eyes' on that area and they will be able to tell where it came from.

gjl
07-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Horrible if it was intentionally shot down. Horrible if accidentally shot down. 2nd 777 lost by Malaysian Airlines this year. Note to self. Don't get on a Malaysian Airline flight.

Achilleslastand
07-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Ukraine may also have some of those Soviet missiles since they were recently part of the Soviet Union. I'm sure there are lot of 'eyes' on that area and they will be able to tell where it came from.

Im sure they have to BUK surface to air missile but I had no idea it could reach 33,000 ft.
RIP to all aboard.....

adaniel
07-17-2014, 11:04 AM
This has Putin's grubby handprints all over it. Russia has been playing with fire for some time and it was only a matter of time before it blew up in their face.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but something about this feels very bad. Not assassinating-Franz-Ferdinand bad, but you can't help to think something very ugly is about to unfold from all of this.

Also, I hope Malaysian Airlines isn't publicly traded. I can't imagine anyone flying them after this.

RadicalModerate
07-17-2014, 11:16 AM
No Comment. Allow the Evidence to Speak for Itself.
eXRM3lFRwRI

Throckmorton
07-17-2014, 11:20 AM
The ignore feature is really handy in a thread like this.

kelroy55
07-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Im sure they have to BUK surface to air missile but I had no idea it could reach 33,000 ft.
RIP to all aboard.....

It's also possible it could have been something on board the flight. Considering where it happened I'm betting on a SAM.

gjl
07-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Reported that Putin called Obama and told him about it.

PennyQuilts
07-17-2014, 11:30 AM
They'll know if it was a bomb in short order. I guess we'll soon find out if this was deliberate or if it was a case of mistaken identity. The notion that this was an accident that just happened to come down in that area isn't likely.

The state department just started a briefing AND THEY ARE DOING ROUTINE STUFF to start out. Hello? Presumably they will get to this story at some point.

RadicalModerate
07-17-2014, 11:33 AM
This has Putin's grubby handprints all over it. Russia has been playing with fire for some time and it was only a matter of time before it blew up in their face.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but something about this feels very bad. Not assassinating-Franz-Ferdinand bad, but you can't help to think something very ugly is about to unfold from all of this.

Also, I hope Malaysian Airlines isn't publicly traded. I can't imagine anyone flying them after this.

Gee . . . Some dumbass move by a couple of [insert religionist] wannabees . . . a'gin . . .
Too bad the travelers weren't wearing St.Christopher pins . . .

btw: I like the grubby Putin handprints reference. Stalin's handprints were bloody. Khrushchev's were manicured. The dude with the natural tattoo on his forehead is no longer in charge.

jn1780
07-17-2014, 11:36 AM
The images of the debris on the ground would indicate the plane broke apart in mid air. Its not clustered together like it would be if it came down in one piece.

I suppose its possible that there was a bomb or internal explosion mechanical or nature, but that happening in the same area where a couple of other planes were shot down? The chances of that are slim. It was most certainly a missle strike.

kelroy55
07-17-2014, 11:39 AM

Where was that reported?

RadicalModerate
07-17-2014, 11:45 AM
What's that old saying? "Everything Old is New Again" . . ?
3pvXRl21lB8

venture
07-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Based on info posted on a.net, appears rebels are claiming responsibility saying they thought it was a Ukraine military jet.

gjl
07-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Where was that reported?

Putin Noted Crash to Obama in Call Over Sanctions - Washington Wire - WSJ (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/07/17/putin-noted-crash-to-obama-in-call-over-sanctions/)

Unsure if Obama apologized. :wink:

RadicalModerate
07-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Good for them.
At least they owned up to it.

Perhaps a total coverage application of something resembling the most recent version of napalm might be in order?
Nah. That don't work . . .

Once the triangularization of the scofflaws via GPS is established.
Collateral damage might be minimized by taking them out one at a time.

gjl
07-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Sounds more like it was a oh BTW at the end of an already planned call.

gjl
07-17-2014, 11:54 AM
And I didn't see anything specific that Putin owned up to doing it. Just reporting it was downed, but who knows what was said.

Jersey Boss
07-17-2014, 11:57 AM
It's none of our(USA) business, stay out of it.

gjl
07-17-2014, 11:59 AM

What if there were US citizens aboard? Don't know if there were but there were on the Malaysian flight lost earlier this year.

Swake
07-17-2014, 12:04 PM
What if there were US citizens aboard? Don't know if there were but there were on the Malaysian flight lost earlier this year.

23 Americans on board.

Separatists/Russians had already downed a Ukrainian fighter plane and cargo plane in the area recently. Connecting the dots here is not hard. I doubt they intended to shoot down a 777 passenger jet but it most likely was a half trained idiot with a brand new toy SAM fresh from Russia that couldn't tell the difference between a cargo plane and a 777 at a distance.

gjl
07-17-2014, 12:08 PM

23 Americans on board.

Separatists/Russians had already downed a Ukrainian fighter plane and cargo plane in the area recently. Connecting the dots here is not hard. I doubt they intended to shoot down a 777 passenger jet but it most likely was a half trained idiot with a brand new toy SAM fresh from Russia that couldn't tell the difference between a cargo plane and a 777 at a distance.

So is it still none of our business?

Dennis Heaton
07-17-2014, 12:08 PM
President Putin and President Obama were on a phone call, not related to this, when Putin was told about this. Putin then informed Obama...according to CBS News. Obama to speak in about 10-15 minutes. Also, according to CBS News, no announcements from the U.S. State Department about any Americans on board.

Just the facts
07-17-2014, 12:09 PM
If only Russia had a history of shooting down commercial passenger jets...

Oh wait, they do.

Korean Air Flight 007. A 747 carrying 269 people shot down by a Soviet fighter jet.

Korean Air Lines Flight 007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007)

Jersey Boss
07-17-2014, 12:09 PM
That is a huge "what if". If there were, what would you advocate? Would you base it on prior occurrences?

PennyQuilts
07-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Based on info posted on a.net, appears rebels are claiming responsibility saying they thought it was a Ukraine military jet.
And now they've backed off on that. They have control of the debris field and aren't letting Ukraine authorities in. Most likely, the evidence will be funnelled to Russia which complicates things.

Jersey Boss
07-17-2014, 12:12 PM

Oh wait, they do.

Korean Air Flight 007. A 747 carrying 269 people shot down by a Soviet fighter jet.

Korean Air Lines Flight 007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007)
Iranian Air flight #655

Swake
07-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Oh wait, they do.

To be fair, so do we:

Iran Air Flight 655 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655)

PennyQuilts
07-17-2014, 12:14 PM
President Putin and President Obama were on a phone call, not related to this, when Putin was told about this. Putin then informed Obama...according to CBS News. Obama to speak in about 10-15 minutes. Also, according to CBS News, no announcements from the U.S. State Department about any Americans on board.

I thought the phone conversation was about our displeasure that Russia was funneling arms to the separatists? This would be just the sort of thing to make Putin look awful.

Swake
07-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Separatists at first claimed to have shot down a Ukrainian plane.

https://twitter.com/fullofeels/status/489804833671507968/photo/1

kelroy55
07-17-2014, 12:24 PM

Where was that reported?

Putin Noted Crash to Obama in Call Over Sanctions - Washington Wire - WSJ (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/07/17/putin-noted-crash-to-obama-in-call-over-sanctions/)

Thanks.... Not exactly how you first said it but rather it was discussed at the end of their phone call. I'm sure the US knew about it just as fast as Russia did, What would Obama have to apologize for?

Swake
07-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Separatists at first claimed to have shot down a Ukrainian plane.

https://twitter.com/fullofeels/status/489804833671507968/photo/1

Use google translate on this link, it's all you need to know.
http://ria.ru/world/20140717/1016409306.html

RadicalModerate
07-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Put THIS in yer "peace pipe" and smoke it:

The Sinking of the Lusitania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sinking_of_the_Lusitania)
USS Maine (ACR-1) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Maine_(ACR-1))
Wag the Dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wag_the_Dog)

Where is Dan Rather now that we need him?
Or Walter Cronkite?
Huntley?
Brinkley?

RadicalModerate
07-17-2014, 12:38 PM
If there would be a couple thousand words
I could say to my newborn grandson
These would be included.
Especially before boarding a mode of transportation
associated with Malaysian Airlines.

V9VoLCO-d6U

Just the facts
07-17-2014, 12:40 PM
To be fair, so do we:

Iran Air Flight 655 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655)

Good point. I forgot about that one.

gjl
07-17-2014, 01:49 PM

Thanks.... Not exactly how you first said it but rather it was discussed at the end of their phone call. I'm sure the US knew about it just as fast as Russia did, What would Obama have to apologize for?

Now don't we feel all superior with that reply. Do I really have to explain it to you? Here is a hint. See the smiley face?

PennyQuilts
07-17-2014, 02:01 PM
This is horrific. Now, the Russians are speculating it was a botched hit on Putin. Apparently, some are saying Putin was on a plane right in the area just about at that time and they are soeculating he was the target. Speculation and likely diversion but it goes to show how this could go bad in a hurry.

Just the facts
07-17-2014, 02:04 PM
This is horrific. Now, the Russians are speculating it was a botched hit on Putin. Apparently, some are saying Putin was on a plane right in the area just about at that time and they are soeculating he was the target. Speculation and likely diversion but it goes to show how this could go bad in a hurry.

Do you think that as an attempt to link the CIA? I mean, the whereabouts of Putin's plane wouldn't be common knowledge - especially at 35,000.

zookeeper
07-17-2014, 02:10 PM

Outrageous! Let's blame the leader of one of the most powerful military nations on the planet. So many questions as to WHY President Putin would do this? I can think of many reasons for the pro-EU groups to have done this to try to bring more western involvement, but what's the motive for Russia?

Ukrainian militants would very much like to see Putin dead. If this was an assassination attempt - they have the old soviet SAM's to do it and that is far more likely than a Russian plot to shoot down an airliner over Ukraine. I'm sorry, that makes no sense.

CIA involvement? It's a theater of active involvement right now, no that wouldn't surprise me either. And that's sad, but we all know their history.

Whatever happened - it's a huge tragedy. 245 lives. Poof. Sad.

PennyQuilts
07-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Do you think that as an attempt to link the CIA? I mean, the whereabouts of Putin's plane wouldn't be common knowledge - especially at 35,000.

Personally, I suspect the conspiracy theorists will be all over this. A bit like TWA 800. With Putin being already accused of handing off these kinds of weapons to the rebels, I could see them wanting to suggest he was a target of Ukraine rather than an arms dealer. Did I think of the CIA? Well, yeah, but what kind of monster would kill a packed commercial flight on purpose just for a hit? I refuse to believe this would be done deliberately by anyone but a fanatic.

PennyQuilts
07-17-2014, 02:22 PM
They are confirming that it was a SAM but our intelligence, at this point, can't tell which side of the Russian border it came from. Or they aren't saying.

zookeeper
07-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Personally, I suspect the conspiracy theorists will be all over this. A bit like TWA 800. With Putin being already accused of handing off these kinds of weapons to the rebels, I could see them wanting to suggest he was a target of Ukraine rather than an arms dealer. Did I think of the CIA? Well, yeah, but what kind of monster would kill a packed commercial flight on purpose just for a hit? I refuse to believe this would be done deliberately by anyone but a fanatic.

The biggest conspiracy of them all would be Moscow being involved in doing something that has no benefit to them - at all. There's a big difference between Ukrainian military aircraft and a civilian passenger jet flying at cruising altitude between Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur.

kelroy55
07-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Now don't we feel all superior with that reply. Do I really have to explain it to you? Here is a hint. See the smiley face?

Nope not at all, I just felt it was tacky and childish to use this tragedy as an excuse to slam Obama in some way.

zookeeper
07-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Many are ready to blame Putin because of the country's very conservative social policies. Let's not pretend that's not a factor in the "blame Putin first" crowd. Those are usually people I agree with on economic issues and some social issues, but the traditional position of the Russian church and government on gays plays into any and every issue involving Vladimir Putin and the social left, and not only in America. That may not be "PC" to say - but we all know it's the truth.

kelroy55
07-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Everything is just speculation right now but there have been reports from news agency's of SAM's being brought in the area from Russia. I wonder if some pro Russia rebel thought it was another Ukrainian fighter or supply plane. Large conflicts/wars have started over mistakes and dumb stuff before.