View Full Version : GOING WIRELESS: What You Should Know

okcpulse
08-22-2005, 12:28 PM
A lot of us power computer users are getting tired of the endless tangle of wires that encase our workstation. And we try all kinds of home remedies to make our stations look less cluttered, and most don't work. One time, I tried twisting all of my cables together and wrapping them with electrical tape. Didn't work. Why? Two weeks later I bought a DV (Digital Video) PCI card, and removing the DV USB adapter required me to cut the tape and unravel the wires that I had just raveled. Then there is home networking. That requires even more cables since I have both my PC Workstation and XBOX hooked up to a DSL router that was recently installed. However, the DSL router is wireless-ready. All I need is a wireless adapter for my PC, and I can handle cables running to my XBOX. Soon, my wife will be the proud owner of an Apple iMac G5, a sleek computer where the guts are hidden behind a 17 inch LCD screen. The only cable is the power cord. Now that wireless is quickly becoming the way of the future, as well as clean up our wire-entangled workstations, here are some facts about wireless networking and why it is so iffy at this point, and the pros and cons about wireless keyboards and mice.

Wireless internet is quickly becoming an amenity being offered by coffee shops, book stores, airports and even munipalities. Several California cities are entirely wireless. You can check your e-mail on your notebook PC from any point in town, even while in your car (passenger, of course). And while wireless internet is taking on the world by storm, let's remember no one is very sure how secure it is, or how well hackers have managed to break into wireless transfers. It's very easy to capture data between two points, or routers. For some time, my wife's notebook PC was picking up a wireless signal from somewhere in our northwest Oklahoma City apartment building. I had the option to join, but didn't. The question is, does the owner of the router have the ability to see the hard drive information on my PC? You do, of course, have to set up both computers on any given network in order to be on the same network, so I had to simply refuse to establish my point on someone else's wireless signal. And, wireless routers come with hardware firewall, so there is some sense of security, but you are still left vulnerable. Its always best to assume you are.

Now, let's move along to wireless components. Wireless keyboards, mice, and printers can all connect to your PC via an infrared port on your motherboard. All it takes is some simple configuration on your Windows setup wizard, along with the driver files on CD-ROM, and synchronizing the signal. On Linux, depending on which distro, the components will be automatically detected and configured for you, and you do not need your CD-ROM, as it was written for Windows operating systems. Mac OS X will require the same routine as Windows, and some components will put Mac driver files on the same CD-ROM.

But at question is the performance of these devices. Some keyboards have been known to lag depending on how fast you type, and some show no difference than a conventional keyboard. With a wireles mouse, there are no differences in accuracy, only that you have to worry about battery power. Same with the keyboard. Wireless printers may take an extra second to receive data from the infrared port to begin a printing job, and no complaints have been made about bad printing quality, but that extra second goes virtually unnoticed. These componenets today are no doubt more expensive than cable-fed components, and prices will no doubt drop in the near future, but a dramatic difference is made in the appearance around your workstation. At this point, I am uncertain whether multiple devices sharing the same infrared port will effect performance since there is only one port on a motherboard, but don't be surprised to see a change in design in the coming months.

HOT ROD
08-22-2005, 12:34 PM
thanks for the information!

MadMonk
08-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Just a quick clarification. Wireless keyboards and mice generally use radio frequencies (RF) not infrared (IR) to connect to a receiver that plugs into the standard mouse & keyboard ports on the PC. I can't speak to wireless printers as I've never personally used one. I've been using a wireless keyboard and mouse for a few years now and I'm very happy with the performance of both. It really helps to cut down the clutter on the desktop. I have to change the batteries (2 AAA) on my mouse about every two months. The keyboard batteries last even longer.

PUGalicious
08-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Another note about wireless keyboards and mice: they don't play nice with other nearby computers using wireless keyboards and mice. We found this in our office; the signals caused conflicts for wireless keyboards used in adjacent offices or within short distances. We eventually switched back to wired keyboards for half the computers.

MadMonk
08-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I should've mentioned that. If you have more devices than the devices have radio channels to choose from you may run into trouble; otherwise you can change the channel the device uses and avoid interference. Fortunately, in my case I only have two systems with wireless controls.

I did run into a problem when I first set up my wireless network. I had two PCs connected in "ad hoc mode", meaning no central base station - sort of like a wireless cross-over cable. Anyway, in that mode neither PC's wireless devices would work at all. Only after I bought a wireless DSL router did they work correctly again.

dirtrider73068
08-22-2005, 02:47 PM
All this wireless tech is great but for the internet and pc's running wireless routers or internet, unless you have a good fire wall system I have heard hackers can get in and snoop around. Plus have heard and seen a report on tv that hackers can drive around with the right equipment and find your signal and then use your internet to get on for free. They used this as a example near washington ans showed how easy it was to find work staions useing wireless tech. Now to me it make me leary of have a house full of wireless pc's ruinning. I have heard that you can scramble the wireless signal after so many feet so that it stays within close proxciminty(sp) of the equipment. Now if thats the case then a houseful of pc's running wireless wouldn't be bad, but on the other hand being in a coffee shop with a bunch of other people running pc's and not knowing who knew what about pc's or how much they knew, then yea I would be very leary of doing that and make sure my firewall was the very best hacker proof.

MadMonk
08-22-2005, 02:53 PM
On your personal wireless network, you should be using WEP encryption at the very least. Its not hack-proof, but it's better than nothing. In addition, you need to have a personal software-based firewall (ZoneAlarm for example) installed on any PC using the wireless network. I don't use public access points.

okcpulse
08-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the clarification, MadMonk. I'll be sure and reference that to my article.

swake
08-23-2005, 12:32 PM
And use Bluetooth for wireless mouses and keyboards, much faster and no conflicts.

Winterhawk
09-27-2005, 03:29 PM
And use Bluetooth for wireless mouses and keyboards, much faster and no conflicts.

Absolutely, and there are also bluetooth USB dongles that will allow you to interface with your bluetooth enabled cell phone so you can pull the picutres and videos off via FTP instead of emailing them to yourself and costing you cash.

For WiFI access, check here (http://oklahoma.metrofreefi.com/city/Oklahoma+City.htm)