View Full Version : Something big coming?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Omega Man
07-08-2014, 08:10 AM
Steve Lackmeyer, Business Writer for the Oklahoman has been hinting at something happening with downtown Oklahoma City that would make Dallas and Kansas City jealous. It is definitely not a for sure deal, in fact right now it may be teetering a little bit. I feel a major player in this is probably Devon. I base this on the fact that they have so much pride in downtown Oklahoma City and extremely deep pockets. Anyone else have any insights?

OKCisOK4me
07-08-2014, 11:54 AM
If he was referring to the SkyFlower, or whatever it is, I scoff...

Plutonic Panda
07-08-2014, 12:03 PM
This is a joke if he was referring to Sky Tower. That will, in way shape or form, make Dallas or KC jealous.

Steve also said he is worried the Dallas and KC jealous deal might be in jeopardy if I remember correctly.

Mr. Cotter
07-08-2014, 12:18 PM
It's not the Sky Flyer. I can't imagine Steve would be that easily impressed, or so uninformed he would think either of those cities would be ruing the day the Sky Flyer wasn't erected in the West End or the Power and Light District. Also, as often as he's used the phrase, I would think if the development ever occurs, it would be referenced by Steve in the article telling us about it.

Plutonic Panda
07-08-2014, 12:19 PM
I don't think it is the Skyflyer either.

bchris02
07-08-2014, 12:26 PM
It's definitely not the SkyFlyer. Steve though has been known to overhype things or promise things that were never delivered (anybody remember how much he hyped December of last year?) It would be an absolute joke if that is what he was referring to.

DoctorTaco
07-08-2014, 12:40 PM
What we (think we) know:

Big Thing is entertainment-related. This rules out just being a skyscraper or something. So probably not Devon.

Big Thing is very hypothetical. It was more certain once, now it is tenuous.

Big Thing is not Skyflyer, Great Wolf Lodge or the Zipline.

Big Thing is something other regional cities do not have. So we have to think outside the box here because other regional cities have a lot of stuff.

Big Thing is probably in Bricktown.

So some spitballing: A giant, London-style Ferris wheel? Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers moving to OKC and becoming the house band at Skinny Slims?

More seriously, though, I'm wondering about a large-scale downtown amusement park. We have Frontier City, but I don't feel like that has kept up with OKC's renaissance. Other regional cities have amusement parks, but they are further out in the sprawl, not co-located downtown to have synergistic effects with other development. Denver has a downtown amusement park, but it really isn't integrated with the urban fabric. It's more of an island all to itself.
Just a thought.

Roger S
07-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Please let it be a new Q-raunt so incredibly amazing that would make KC and Dallas jealous!

Plutonic Panda
07-08-2014, 01:03 PM
I hope downtown never gets an amusement park. It does not belong there. If I millions, and one day if ever get to that, a new amusement park would be great next to New Castle right along the HE Bailey Spur close to Norman and I-35. This would have to be big though, something bigger than any amusement park in Texas, something that draws people from NYC and LA similar to Disney World in Orlando. I would love to build it one day..... has been a dream of mine for awhile now.

Jersey Boss
07-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Please let it be a new Q-raunt so incredibly amazing that would make KC and Dallas jealous!

"Love it"

bombermwc
07-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Actually most of those comments make me think it was the Skyflower. I'm indifferent on it though.

bchris02
07-09-2014, 08:29 AM
Actually most of those comments make me think it was the Skyflower. I'm indifferent on it though.

If it was, then the entire thing was a bigger joke than I ever imagined.

Steve
07-09-2014, 08:33 AM
If it was, then Steve Lackmeyer is a bigger joke of a reporter than I ever imagined.

It is not.

PennyQuilts
07-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Deleted the post - don't look!!!!

bchris02
07-09-2014, 08:42 AM
I edited my post being that it was out of line for me to say what I did. My apologies to Steve and anybody else who reads the quoted version of that post.

PennyQuilts
07-09-2014, 08:51 AM
I edited my post. My apologies to Steve and anybody else who reads the quoted version of that post.

Go ahead and delete your last post - mine's gone so there is no trail. :) Oh wait. Steve already saw it... never mind.

traxx
07-09-2014, 10:04 AM
It is not.

So you think the "big thing" is in jeopardy? If it falls apart and never actually happens, will you at least let us in on what it was? We'd like to know what we should be upset and/or sad about.

Steve
07-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Yes, if it falls apart, I will tell you what was in the works.

jccouger
07-09-2014, 11:33 AM

Thank you Steve. If it is indeed that big of a deal, if it falls through & you provide us with details on what it was supposed to be it will at least give other entrepreneurs and investors a chance to take the idea and use it themselves. As cheap as that is I want this development that will make high tiered cities jealous in any way we can it.

dankrutka
07-09-2014, 11:42 AM

This should go without saying, but thanks for all your work, Steve. Much appreciated.

OKCisOK4me
07-09-2014, 11:44 AM
What's your guesstimate on "it" falling apart? ;-)

Just the facts
07-09-2014, 11:47 AM
About a year ago or so there was some hush hush behind the scenes talk of a development downtown containing over 1,000 housing units. That would certainly qualify in my book of envious developments.

bchris02
07-09-2014, 11:52 AM
About a year ago or so there was some hush hush behind the scenes talk of a development downtown containing over 1,000 housing units. That would certainly qualify in my book of envious developments.

That would be great if it came to fruition. I remember in December there was a lot that was teased about but was never announced. I wonder what deals are still on the table from that time frame. As for this development, Steve has said repeatedly that it is entertainment oriented, so I doubt its a residential development.

Just the facts
07-09-2014, 11:57 AM
That would be great if it came to fruition. I remember in December there was a lot that was teased about but was never announced. I wonder what deals are still on the table from that time frame. As for this development, Steve has said repeatedly that it is entertainment oriented, so I doubt its a residential development.

I wouldn't expect anything with 1000 housing units to just be all about housing. Think Atlantic Station in Atlanta.

Atlantic Station | Forward Living (http://atlanticstation.com/)

Plutonic Panda
07-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Yes, if it falls apart, I will tell you what was in the works.Thanks for that! I really didm't think that was what you were referring to, but it's nice to know for sure.

Plutonic Panda
07-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Deleted the post - don't look!!!!I accidentally looked. I'm not in trouble am I? ;P

PennyQuilts
07-09-2014, 03:36 PM
I accidentally looked. I'm not in trouble am I? ;P

Never, sweet boy toy.

Dennis Heaton
07-09-2014, 05:19 PM
It's not gonna be about the Ferris Wheel again, is it?

Urban Pioneer
07-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Never, sweet boy toy.

LOLZ! You two are too funny.

Plutonic Panda
07-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Never, sweet boy toy.aaah shucks don't make me blush now ;p

Dustin
07-10-2014, 12:56 AM
It's a long-shot, but how about an indoor ski resort? Like Ski Dubai:

http://www.mountainyahoos.com/SkiResorts/Dubai/SkiDubai-AftView_520.jpg http://www.mountainyahoos.com/SkiResorts/Dubai/SkiDubai_InsideView_3_520.jpg

hoya
07-10-2014, 06:06 AM
I think Big Ed's is coming back.

bombermwc
07-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Well forgive me for being a debbie downer, but we get so much of this teaser bull crap that i'm not going to lose any sleep over it. A certain source that shall remain nameless has even had articles printed with no substantial evidence to support the "mystery project(s)". Not to mention the number of things in real estate development that fold LONG before anything happens..then those that fail at first construction.

Something is going to be built! It's going to be amazing and you're all going to piss your pants over it!
Oh wait...it fell through.

BDP
07-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Well forgive me for being a debbie downer, but we get so much of this teaser bull crap that i'm not going to lose any sleep over it. A certain source that shall remain nameless has even had articles printed with no substantial evidence to support the "mystery project(s)". Not to mention the number of things in real estate development that fold LONG before anything happens..then those that fail at first construction.

Something is going to be built! It's going to be amazing and you're all going to piss your pants over it!

The unfortunate thing about it is that it begins to overshadow what actually is happening. Oklahoma City has changed for the better as much, if not more so, because of the dozens of smaller projects that have happened and are happening than the handful of major projects that did pan out. We now have real urban neighborhoods whose vibrancy is growing monthly mostly from the cumulative result of modest housing developments, new store openings, increased restaurants and bars in more pedestrian friendly districts, and "intangible" things like increased community organization and special events. So much of this is going on now, that it's almost hard to keep up with all the progress. That's not to say the major projects haven't contributed, but I honestly feel like the smaller projects have actually made more of an impact on the quality of life as a whole (save for the MAPS projects which, without them, nothing would probably going on right now).

So, while I know it's disappointing when these larger speculative projects don't pan out, it really is to the point where I now find myself thinking "eh, would have been cool, but no big deal". Obviously, I would like to see some of these things happen, mainly because you never know what's around the corner economically and you got to get it while you can, but when you look around and realize how different the city is from just 3-5 years ago, debbie shouldn't let herself get too down.

bchris02
07-10-2014, 09:18 AM

Truth!

adaniel
07-10-2014, 09:30 AM
So, while I know it's disappointing when these larger speculative projects don't pan out, it really is to the point where I now find myself thinking "eh, would have been cool, but no big deal". Obviously, I would like to see some of these things happen, mainly because you never know what's around the corner economically and you got to get it while you can, but when you look around and realize how different the city is from just 3-5 years ago, debbie shouldn't let herself get too down.

Bingo.

And I'll add that people are constantly pestering and begging for the inside story behind projects and developments. Well, the true inside story is oftentimes messy and ugly, akin to sausage making. If people cannot handle that, then maybe they should pass.

And to assume this is an OKC thing is just outrageous, especially if they chose to ignore all the insane amount of activity that is already happening. That's just how these work. Its business, folks. Some people on here really need to get out more often.

nomadokla
07-10-2014, 09:50 AM
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

SOONER8693
07-10-2014, 09:59 AM

You've hit the nail on the head. So much so, that the person who shall remain nameless has pretty much lost all credibility with many.

nomadokla
07-10-2014, 10:14 AM
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

Bellaboo
07-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Bingo.

And I'll add that people are constantly pestering and begging for the inside story behind projects and developments. Well, the true inside story is oftentimes messy and ugly, akin to sausage making. If people cannot handle that, then maybe they should pass.

And to assume this is an OKC thing is just outrageous, especially if they chose to ignore all the insane amount of activity that is already happening. That's just how these work. Its business, folks. Some people on here really need to get out more often.

^^^ This ^^^
Take a look at all of the districts that Pete has recently created new Titles for listing the building activity. There's been in excess of 40 downtown projects that are either announced, in progress or completed. The Debbie Downers need to wake up and realize this IS a boom we have going on right now.

I'd bet there's also more to come.

adaniel
07-10-2014, 12:01 PM
^^^ This ^^^
Take a look at all of the districts that Pete has recently created new Titles for listing the building activity. There's been in excess of 40 downtown projects that are either announced, in progress or completed. The Debbie Downers need to wake up and realize this IS a boom we have going on right now.

I'd bet there's also more to come.

Agree competely. Its hard for me to keep up, and I now visit this site more than when I was living in OKC just to stay in the loop.

I'm getting off topic, but I feel like this board has taken on a bit of a darker, more pessimistic tone lately. I don't expect constant cheerleading & I feel most people on here can have an honest discussion, which is rare on today's interweb. With that in mind, its really perplexing how there are topics on here detailing new developments or job announcements and barely have any responses, yet there is a thread that literally is 6 pages of nothing but complaining about multiple things.

Plutonic Panda
07-10-2014, 12:12 PM
The unfortunate thing about it is that it begins to overshadow what actually is happening. Oklahoma City has changed for the better as much, if not more so, because of the dozens of smaller projects that have happened and are happening than the handful of major projects that did pan out. We now have real urban neighborhoods whose vibrancy is growing monthly mostly from the cumulative result of modest housing developments, new store openings, increased restaurants and bars in more pedestrian friendly districts, and "intangible" things like increased community organization and special events. So much of this is going on now, that it's almost hard to keep up with all the progress. That's not to say the major projects haven't contributed, but I honestly feel like the smaller projects have actually made more of an impact on the quality of life as a whole (save for the MAPS projects which, without them, nothing would probably going on right now).

So, while I know it's disappointing when these larger speculative projects don't pan out, it really is to the point where I now find myself thinking "eh, would have been cool, but no big deal". Obviously, I would like to see some of these things happen, mainly because you never know what's around the corner economically and you got to get it while you can, but when you look around and realize how different the city is from just 3-5 years ago, debbie shouldn't let herself get too down.that's cool and all man, but I'm going to say it, I'd rather see the bigger projects.

Plutonic Panda
07-10-2014, 12:14 PM
^^^ This ^^^

I'd bet there's also more to come.here's the thing, we have a small boom going on with a bunch of smaller projects.... But it's the bigger ones that really seem to get the feel of a true boom town, at least for me. Luckily, with this thing, Chisholm Creek, new skyscrapers etc..... OKC is really just starting to take off. It's extremely exciting

adaniel
07-10-2014, 12:23 PM
here's the thing, we have a small boom going on with a bunch of smaller projects.... But it's the bigger ones that really seem to get the feel of a true boom town, at least for me. Luckily, with this thing, Chisholm Creek, new skyscrapers etc..... OKC is really just starting to take off. It's extremely exciting

What would need to be built in order for you to get the feeling we are "booming"?

bchris02
07-10-2014, 12:24 PM
I agree that big projects are important for creating that "boomtown" atmosphere. All of these smaller projects are great and its awesome that OKC's urban fabric is being restored one project at a time, but compare what is going on here to the high-rise residential towers springing up in Austin. Lets just say it would be great to one day see 2-3 towers all under construction at once in downtown OKC. That would really help make it feel like a boomtown in my opinion. I think a lot of the pessimism is a result of the Stage Center Tower being far less impressive than originally hinted at as well as a specific unnamed journalist teasing about amazing developments that never materialize.

Mel
07-10-2014, 12:25 PM
A house for Godzilla would be big.

Plutonic Panda
07-10-2014, 12:53 PM
What would need to be built in order for you to get the feeling we are "booming"?Wheeler District, Chisholm Creek, new skyscrapers rising out of the city, C2S exploding on large scale.... Convention Center... Maps 3 Park.. things that are already planned. Things that are haven't happened yet, but may or may not. I thought I was pretty clear on that.

Massive highway construction coupled with light-rail would really add to the feel as well. Large scale projects really stand out

Bullbear
07-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Agree competely. Its hard for me to keep up, and I now visit this site more than when I was living in OKC just to stay in the loop.

I'm getting off topic, but I feel like this board has taken on a bit of a darker, more pessimistic tone lately. I don't expect constant cheerleading & I feel most people on here can have an honest discussion, which is rare on today's interweb. With that in mind, its really perplexing how there are topics on here detailing new developments or job announcements and barely have any responses, yet there is a thread that literally is 6 pages of nothing but complaining about multiple things.

I agree completely. lots of negative lately people complaining. I mean there is always that to a certain degree but I see more than we use to the claims of cant wait to leave okc but still posting in here like crazy. however as I have said before some people just enjoy complaining and no matter where they end up it will be the same.

Pete
07-10-2014, 01:10 PM
I highly recommend making use of the board's ignore feature.

Bullbear
07-10-2014, 01:12 PM
I highly recommend making use of the board's ignore feature.
not a bad idea.. to be honest didn't know it existed!.. thanks Pete!

dcsooner
07-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Wheeler District, Chisholm Creek, new skyscrapers rising out of the city, C2S exploding on large scale.... Convention Center... Maps 3 Park.. things that are already planned. Things that are haven't happened yet, but may or may not. I thought I was pretty clear on that.

Massive highway construction coupled with light-rail would really add to the feel as well. Large scale projects really stand out

Agree with changes like these, I believe OKC could see hyper population growth ( I know growth is good now) due to improved City amenities and possibly jobs, increased word of mouth about OKC that could lead to a renewed image. I live in Raleigh, NC. Nice town, not nicer, not bigger, (yet) than OKC, BUT people are flocking here from all places NE because of word of mouth from family, friends talking to them about the positives the city offers. OKC and Oklahoma has more expatriates on this board (me too) than most cities. Almost everyone I have spoken to here has nothing but positives to say about the city, ( I haved lived here since February this year and asked at least 100 random people with 98 positive) I dare say a fair amount of people from OKC don't share the same feeling, that attitude about YOUR city transfers.

Bullbear
07-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Agree with changes like these, I believe OKC could see hyper population growth ( I know growth is good now) due to improved City amenities and possibly jobs, increased word of mouth about OKC that could lead to a renewed image. I live in Raleigh, NC. Nice town, not nicer, not bigger, (yet) than OKC, BUT people are flocking here from all places NE because of word of mouth from family, friends talking to them about the positives the city offers. OKC and Oklahoma has more expatriates on this board (me too) than most cities. Almost everyone I have spoken to here has nothing but positives to say about the city, ( I haved lived here since February this year and asked at least 100 random people with 98 positive) I dare say a fair amount of people from OKC don't share the same feeling, that attitude about YOUR city transfers.

I disagree. there is a lot of good word of mouth about OKC, every person who visits us has nothing but great things to day and they are first to tell others about it. I would say we have had a drastic increase in the amount of out of state friends coming to visit rather than us visiting them in the past 5 years or so. maybe I travel in less sadistic negative circles but most people I encounter love the city and are excited about its growth and change.

adaniel
07-10-2014, 01:22 PM

Raleigh-Cary and OKC's net inmigration rate are very close (+12,992, vs +11,559 for OKC this last census estimate). Just FYI.

not a bad idea.. to be honest didn't know it existed!.. thanks Pete!

Its really quite wonderful. I may need to add a few more names to mine.

Plutonic Panda
07-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Agree with changes like these, I believe OKC could see hyper population growth ( I know growth is good now) due to improved City amenities and possibly jobs, increased word of mouth about OKC that could lead to a renewed image. I live in Raleigh, NC. Nice town, not nicer, not bigger, (yet) than OKC, BUT people are flocking here from all places NE because of word of mouth from family, friends talking to them about the positives the city offers. OKC and Oklahoma has more expatriates on this board (me too) than most cities. Almost everyone I have spoken to here has nothing but positives to say about the city, ( I haved lived here since February this year and asked at least 100 random people with 98 positive) I dare say a fair amount of people from OKC don't share the same feeling, that attitude about YOUR city transfers.+1

Plutonic Panda
07-10-2014, 01:50 PM
I disagree. there is a lot of good word of mouth about OKC, every person who visits us has nothing but great things to day and they are first to tell others about it. I would say we have had a drastic increase in the amount of out of state friends coming to visit rather than us visiting them in the past 5 years or so. maybe I travel in less sadistic negative circles but most people I encounter love the city and are excited about its growth and change.I don't think that was his point.

My point is completely being missed! OKC is an awesome city, has a lot to offer, and allows people live lifestyle's they couldn't in larger more expensive city. Even the cost of living in Dallas is super high compared to here.

Until we get massive large-scale projects underway and under construction, it just doesn't seem growth is exploding here. There are quite a bit of smaller projects under construction and all together, they will greatly improve the city core as whole, and I understand that; it still doesn't change the fact of my main point about the larger projects.

It isn't pessimism or being a Debbie downer, it's something called the truth.

Plutonic Panda
07-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Raleigh-Cary and OKC's net inmigration rate are very close (+12,992, vs +11,559 for OKC this last census estimate). Just FYI.Didn't Raleigh grow by like 40% in population over the last decade?

BDP
07-10-2014, 01:56 PM
All of these smaller projects are great and its awesome that OKC's urban fabric is being restored one project at a time....

Well, it's really dozens at a time right now. Basically, what we're doing right now is more in line with what Austin had to do first before the big projects became commonplace.

bchris02
07-10-2014, 01:57 PM

While I personally prefer Charlotte, the Raleigh-Durham Research Triangle is a wonderful area. While Raleigh itself may be smaller than OKC, the CSA is almost twice the size of OKC's metro area and the amenities offered reflect that. The tech and university presence give the area a progressive, intellectual vibe, but the conservative Bible-belt culture is still there if you want it. It has a very nice climate with beautiful terrain and is a stone's throw away from the Appalachians and the beaches. Most of the city is pretty visually attractive both in the core and in suburbia. Regionally you have numerous first-class getaway destinations. What's not to love?

Pete
07-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Some bigger things are coming but frankly, I'm thrilled with all this urban infill.

It's created a situation where virtually every vacant or under-utilized building and lot is being targeted for development.

Bullbear
07-10-2014, 02:10 PM
I don't think that was his point.

you might want to read it again then.

"Almost everyone I have spoken to here has nothing but positives to say about the city, ( I haved lived here since February this year and asked at least 100 random people with 98 positive) I dare say a fair amount of people from OKC don't share the same feeling, that attitude about YOUR city transfers."

it is exactly what he was saying, that a fair amount of people from OKC are not positive about their city.