View Full Version : I Need A Shopping Cart

cindycat
07-06-2014, 10:53 AM
I use a cane or rolling walker and I'm an incurable gardener. I've been using the walker to get around our new lot, a one-acre piece with mostly grass and some wooded area with a dirt "floor". It's the same one I use in the house, so I have to clean it up well before I bring it inside. We've thought about buying a new walker and refitting it with larger wheels but really, the very best thing would be a grocery cart. A friend suggested picking up one that someone has left in the street but I'd rather get one legally. I've asked at two places about maybe buying a used one and they say they're so expensive that they just keep reworking the ones they have. We're looking for things online but I'd rather find one that I could try out before buying it. Do you know where I might buy grocery cart in the OKC area? Thanks.

catch22
07-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Might be worth giving this guy a phone call.

shopping carts/ welder cart (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/for/4533962930.html)

Plutonic Panda
07-06-2014, 11:47 AM
I wonder if you just walked into Walmart and asked the manager if you could buy one of their shopping carts?

rezman
07-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Cindycat, our shop has several old used shopping carts that we have used for pulling and moving parts. We may have one we can let go of. Send me a PM and I'll check when I get back to work on Tuesday. The only problem I can see with using a shopping cart on the grass and dirt is with the small diameter wheels. Might be hard to push it around the soft terain, especially with the cart loaded.

trousers
07-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Yeah, a shopping cart doesn't sound real practical for gardening. It would only work on a hard packed path, and then only if pretty dry.

Mel
07-06-2014, 02:26 PM
A smallish plastic wheelbarrow might work. They have the wheels to handle uneven terrain and are light weight.

ctchandler
07-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Cindycat,
If you can afford it, I would suggest a yard cart from Home Depot, Lowes, or any hardware/home and garden store. They have larger wheels and are designed to be used on the terrain. Grocery carts are for hard, indoor surfaces and really aren't that great wherever they are used. Seems like half the time, the cart I grab has a bad wheel which drags and is a real pain to use. I normally switch it if I notice it in time. The yard carts run the gamut in price. The cheapest one I noticed on their web page was $40 and they can go as high as $315. I noticed one for about $70 that might be what you are looking for.
C. T.

gjl
07-06-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm thinking a grocery cart fitted with larger pneumatic tires is what you want. Garden carts or wheelbarrows aren't going to help you walk in the yard like your walker does. It wouldn't take much to fit a shopping cart with a set of these 8" pneumatic casters available at Harbor Freight. They are even available in 10" sizes.

cindycat
07-06-2014, 08:28 PM
I'm thinking a grocery cart fitted with larger pneumatic tires is what you want. Garden carts or wheelbarrows aren't going to help you walk in the yard like your walker does. It wouldn't take much to fit a shopping cart with a set of these 8" pneumatic casters available at Harbor Freight. They are even available in 10" sizes.

You obviously think like my husband. I should have mentioned in my original post that I know that a grocery cart, like my walker, wouldn't be very maneuverable as is. I have no doubt that my husband can make any wheeled thing work by adding bigger wheels on casters. Actually, we were looking at them at Harbor Freight this morning.

gjl
07-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Anyone with some fabricating skills could put those wheels on a shopping cart. I could do it. If you get them at Harbor Freight, be sure and use the 20% off coupons that are everywhere.

Dennis Heaton
07-07-2014, 07:46 AM
I believe I "might" be able to get one for you. But I can't get it to you. Send me a Private Message and I'll give you my phone number.

Would something like this work for you...

rezman
07-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Cindy cat, check your private message. We have a cart you can have if your still interested.