View Full Version : What Kind of Tree is This?

Dennis Heaton
07-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Do you know what kind of tree this is? I saw several of these on Penn, between NW 50th and NW 63rd two weeks ago. This one is out on the Northwest side of Lake Hefner.

Dennis Heaton
07-05-2014, 11:48 AM
I just found out..."Mimosa Tree." Thank you ND Foods!!!

Plutonic Panda
07-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Yes, I was about to say.. it is a Mimosa Tree. They are very nice. They tore a huge one down to make way for Covell. I offered the city $3,500 to pay for someone to transplant it and put in the landscaping and they said they could not do that. They're beautiful trees and I saw a lot of them in Cancun. They are considered a weed in most tropical places from what I know, but I like them. I would have a few if I had some sunny spots in my yard.

Mimosa tree | Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants (http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/29)

Mimosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimosa)

Mimosa ? The Wonderful, Awful Weed | Your Hub for Southern Culture (http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com/2009/06/29/mimosa-the-wonderful-weed/)

rezman
07-05-2014, 01:19 PM
They are nice trees that produce beautiful blooms and shade in the right landscaping. Not really well suited for a small yard as they can sure make a mess of things, but like any other tree, they have their place.

gjl
07-05-2014, 01:37 PM
My father planted one in our front yard when he built our house in 1960. He was really happy when he had it cut down and the stump dug up 10 years later.

Bunty
07-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Don't plant them too close to the house. You don't want all that matter that falls from them to collect on the roof and in the gutters.

rezman
07-06-2014, 07:20 PM
My father planted one in our front yard when he built our house in 1960. He was really happy when he had it cut down and the stump dug up 10 years later.

GJL.. Must have been a trend back then because my dad planted two of them at the second house he had built for us over on 47th street in Warr Acres. When I was about 10, we cut ours down too.

gjl
07-06-2014, 07:36 PM
GJL.. Must have been a trend back then because my dad planted two of them at the second house he had built for us over on 47th street in Warr Acres. When I was about 10, we cut ours down too.

Maybe it was a thing with Western Electric supervisors. I just remember it being a dirty tree always dropping something.

ylouder
07-06-2014, 07:42 PM
I really dislike those trees. But I grew up with on so arleast t ::) ete is a history.

rezman
07-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Maybe it was a thing with Western Electric supervisors. I just remember it being a dirty tree always dropping something.

I don't know about that but it seems like they were part of landscaping trends back then. I seem to recall seeing more of them in that era than I do now. Maybe they didn't have Mimosa's up in the Chicago area.

Jim Kyle
07-06-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't know about that but it seems like they were part of landscaping trends back then. I seem to recall seeing more of them in that era than I do now. Maybe they didn't have Mimosa's up in the Chicago area.They were extremely popular in the late 50s and early 60s. As I recall, they are unlike most other plants in that they are single-sexed -- they come in male and female varieties. Only the female Mimosa produces blossoms, and like other plants they do depend on insects to carry pollen from the male trees to the females. One of the two, and I can't remember which, has a truly offensive, and strong, odor about it -- and that, together with the mess they make of their surroundings, is why so many were cut down in the 70s and 80s.

We had one in the back yard of our house on NW 24, and got rid of it long before we sold the place and moved out to the boonies.