View Full Version : Walkability

RadicalModerate
07-04-2014, 07:02 AM
I know that there is at least one pre-existing thread on this topic but I couldn't easily find it. Please feel free to move this post to its proper location, if desired.

Cambridge, Minnesota, is a small town, north of "The Cities." It is located at the intersection of two fairly important highways, 95 and 65. Last night, at about ten o'clock, I decided to take a walk--rather than a drive--to the nearest convenience store, about half a mile away.

What struck me was how nice the sidewalks were. Having sidewalks makes a pedestrian feel welcome and like you belong there--not like some sort of bum or whatever--even at 10 pm.

The best thing of all was being able to press a button and stop traffic on a major thoughoughfare so you could cross.
All of this reminded me of the lack of this convenience out in my neck of the woods (Hefner and Penn). There is actually a nice sidewalk--at least on the west side of Penn, adjacent to the International Headquarters of Love's Convenience Stores--but try crossing Hefner at the point where the sidewalk ends.

There probably aren't enough pedestrians to warrant the expense of installing a crossing signal here, still it does make me wonder . . .

http://www.thesecularparent.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/where-the-sidewalk-ends.jpg