View Full Version : What do you not like about OKC and what do you think could be better?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Plutonic Panda
07-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Tittle says it all. I will write a fairly nice rant here in awhile, but a saw a news article that prompted me to post this now.

Hobby Lobby should have its religious freedom and not comply with contraception laws, because freedom for religion, but the Satanic Black Mass Gathering is big no no.....

Paul Coakley, this dumbass is wasting his time putting his nose into things that won't even affect. He asks if it is a good use of public space, which he clearly thinks it isn't, but if was some religious Catholic gathering, he'd love it. Have to love the hypocrisy here. http://newsok.com/catholic-archbishop-decries-plans-for-satanic-black-mass-in-oklahoma-city/article/4984602

My thing is mindset of people here. There are so many awesome parks like the new one near I-35/I-44 and no one is using them. All the new sidewalks that have been installed, doesn't look like many people are using them.

I also think commercial planning here needs to be improved for long-term thinking.

Like I said, I'll go on a rant here in a little bit about things that really grind my gears, but was just curious what others think... what they really hate about this place and the thing they really love; can also be something you think can be improved.

OKCisOK4me
07-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Too brown and dead. Needs to be pleasing to the eye during the day. At night it's great but day time kills OKC.

Jeepnokc
07-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Too brown and dead. Needs to be pleasing to the eye during the day. At night it's great but day time kills OKC.

Just water more. Will be green in no time and there is still water in Canton Lake so we are ok. (Just kidding before everyone starts jumping on me)

Plutonic Panda
07-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Too brown and dead. Needs to be pleasing to the eye during the day. At night it's great but day time kills OKC.I take it you don't like the desert? ;)

adaniel
07-02-2014, 03:56 PM
I am a bit confused by the premise of this thread.

You are mad that nobody is using a park?

What do you mean by the "mindset" here? The politics? Won't get me to disagree with that one but that's probably better off in the politics section.

Plutonic Panda
07-02-2014, 03:58 PM
I am a bit confused by the premise of this thread.

You are mad that nobody is using a park?

What do you mean by the "mindset" here? The politics? Won't get me to disagree with that one but that's probably better off in the politics section.like I said, I'll post more about a little later.

bchris02
07-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Agree 100%. There are very few cities I can think of that are overall as ugly as OKC. I don't know if I'm the only one but sometimes it puts me in a bad mood especially after being accustomed to the beauty on the east coast. All cities have their blight but lack of standards, landscaping, and upkeep has caused OKC to look pretty bad even in areas that are decent. Tulsa is a little better but much of what is wrong with OKC is also wrong with Tulsa. Dallas on the other hand is a perfect example of how to make this climate and landscape look attractive.

In addition to lack of landscaping and upkeep, the prevalence of cheap building materials like metal siding and faux stucco contribute to the ugliness. Litter also doesn't help. Go anywhere in OKC and you'll see trash blowing around somewhere.

soonerguru
07-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Agree 100%. There are very few cities I can think of that are overall as ugly as OKC. I don't know if I'm the only one but sometimes it puts me in a bad mood especially after being accustomed to the beauty on the east coast. All cities have their blight but lack of standards, landscaping, and upkeep has caused OKC to look pretty bad even in areas that are decent. Tulsa is a little better but much of what is wrong with OKC is also wrong with Tulsa. Dallas on the other hand is a perfect example of how to make this climate and landscape look attractive.

In addition to lack of landscaping and upkeep, the prevalence of cheap building materials like metal siding and faux stucco contribute to the ugliness. Litter also doesn't help. Go anywhere in OKC and you'll see trash blowing around somewhere.

I'm going to have to agree with you on this. You left out miles and miles of deteriorating strip centers, poorly tended roads, lack of sidewalks, ugly signage, and more. This city is in desperate need of beautification. This is one time you're not being too negative. While the city is addressing many of these issues, it shows just how many things were neglected for so long.

bchris02
07-02-2014, 06:18 PM
I'm going to have to agree with you on this. You left out miles and miles of deteriorating strip centers, poorly tended roads, lack of sidewalks, ugly signage, and more. This city is in desperate need of beautification. This is one time you're not being too negative. While the city is addressing many of these issues, it shows just how many things were neglected for so long.

I have to admit it was a real shocker when I moved here. Today I have somewhat gotten used to it but still get flabbergasted by the condition of some of these prime corridors. It's crazy how this city has historic neighborhoods without sidewalks, or "upscale" suburban areas with crumbling roads, no streetlights, and above-ground power lines. You wouldn't see that in almost any other city. It would really take an investment on a MAPS scale, devoted entirely to beautification, to fix it. Question is, do OKC residents have enough pride in their city and desire for it to look attractive to want to make that kind of investment? I don't really think so. For most here, the ugliness is part of the trade off for a low cost of living. On top of that, if such a beautification measure was to pass, there would have to be some parts of town that take priority over others. That is likely to make some people very angry and it would be an endless debate. The only viable solution is to pass ordinances like yesterday to prevent more of this garbage from being built. However, I don't think most people here even care enough to do that.

SOONER8693
07-02-2014, 06:49 PM

You are a real piece of "work". Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Damn, you must be an unhappy person.

poe
07-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Personally, I think the vegetation and landscaping in Oklahoma City is ok. My only real beef is with the roads. Well, and the fact that so many people seem to only focus on the negatives of Oklahoma City.

Plutonic Panda
07-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Right now I really tired and I don't want to write out the rant I was going to post, upill try and do it tomorrow.

But basically so you can a sneak peak here ..... I know these state,nets might be contradicting, but I love this city in a way and want to see it succeed. There are great things happening here and firmly believe OKC has a good Chance at becoming a major player in the US economy as well as becoming as major city.

Right now. This city sucks. It sucks and it sucks ass. I truly hate it here at the moment and can't wait to get out. Hate to offend anyone, but this place has a long way to go. At current rates, it will be decades before it really stands out.

Oklahoma as a state in general sucks and what really pisses me off about it, is it has the potential. Isn't like Kansas or Montana or Idaho where there really isn't much going, there is so much history in this state and a lot of underrated and undermarketed aces to.

OKC is the same way. The only difference is OKC is going for good goals. The only "city" is Tulsa and I'm not sure whether I'd classify Tulsa as a dump or a city. The place is garbage and the worst city I've ever been to. Hell, I'd move to Gary Indiana before Tulsa, at least Chicago is somewhat within close proximity.

I don't know why I want to get out if here so bad, I just don't feel the energy such as "wow this place is really popping" like I do when I'm in LA, Dallas, Austin, Houston, Boulder, etc... P I just feel bad I feel that way and want to move :/

Anywho, I'll post a really detailed analysis about it tomorrow when I'm more awake and can think better. I'm about to pass out :p

Tigerguy
07-02-2014, 11:01 PM
I know it's a delirious preview, but I shall still throw in a cent or two. I won't get too into it in anticipation of your longer post.

"This city sucks." Disagree (there are certain drawbacks), though that depends on what one is looking for in a city.

"Oklahoma as a state in general sucks" Disagree (there are certain drawbacks), though that depends on what one is looking for statewide.

"I just don't feel the energy such as "wow this place is really popping" like I do when I'm in LA, Dallas, Austin, Houston, Boulder, etc..." One could compare a legion of cities to those few and reach the same conclusion.

There are many good and bad things about this city and state. Some are objectively bad, but many others are a matter of perspective. If there's nothing here you want, you probably won't like it much. Life here has been good to me so far, but I know a change of scenery will happen in the future. I plan for the grass to be greener where I'm going, but I know what's here and what's not, and how likely things are to change given the wheels currently in motion. The people (in general) are getting what they want, and they shall see life as good. Anybody who doesn't will be left wanting. Even so, warts and all, I've found enough good here to not go crazy. As such, I don't lament what we don't have, but I try to find contentment in what we do have. The lens through which you see the world will have a lot to do with how you want to live in it.

Celebrator
07-02-2014, 11:12 PM
Right now I really tired and I don't want to write out the rant I was going to post, upill try and do it tomorrow.

But basically so you can a sneak peak here ..... I know these state,nets might be contradicting, but I love this city in a way and want to see it succeed. There are great things happening here and firmly believe OKC has a good Chance at becoming a major player in the US economy as well as becoming as major city.

Right now. This city sucks. It sucks and it sucks ass. I truly hate it here at the moment and can't wait to get out. Hate to offend anyone, but this place has a long way to go. At current rates, it will be decades before it really stands out.

Oklahoma as a state in general sucks and what really pisses me off about it, is it has the potential. Isn't like Kansas or Montana or Idaho where there really isn't much going, there is so much history in this state and a lot of underrated and undermarketed aces to.

OKC is the same way. The only difference is OKC is going for good goals. The only "city" is Tulsa and I'm not sure whether I'd classify Tulsa as a dump or a city. The place is garbage and the worst city I've ever been to. Hell, I'd move to Gary Indiana before Tulsa, at least Chicago is somewhat within close proximity.

I don't know why I want to get out if here so bad, I just don't feel the energy such as "wow this place is really popping" like I do when I'm in LA, Dallas, Austin, Houston, Boulder, etc... P I just feel bad I feel that way and want to move :/

Anywho, I'll post a really detailed analysis about it tomorrow when I'm more awake and can think better. I'm about to pass out :p

It sounds like you really do need a change of scenery; it will do you good. While all of those places you mentioned are further ahead OKC in many ways, there are always trade-offs when you leave one place and go to another. However, trade-offs are a matter of individual preference, so you just have to decide what matters most to you and go for the city that most closely matches those preferences. Austin is great, but their roads have not caught up with the growth, so you may have to wait in gridlock to go and enjoy a cool leisure activity. This is just an example. All cities have them. To put it simply, I have lived in all four corners (CA, OR, FL, and NH) and the middle (MO and OK) and I have loved the "middle" states the best for everyday living. Not being around SPECTACULAR landscapes or the ocean does not matter much to me on an everyday basis. That's a trade-off I am willing to accept because the cost of living and central location here make it less expensive to visit my family on long trips to scenic OR and NH. The heartland just "clicks" with me. I feel at home, comfortable. I was born and raised in LA, but that place feels as close to home to me as another planet now! Just not me AT ALL.

I think if you have been in one place, you should get out and see more. It enriches and broadens you. Perhaps this place isn't a good fit for you at this point, but it might be again someday. But, do remember this old adage always has some truth: "The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence."

Just my two cents and I truly hope you find your right place.

soonerguru
07-02-2014, 11:17 PM
This city doesn't "suck" at all. But the state's political climate right now is suffocating. That's my main beef.

The leadership we have in OKC right now seems to get it for the most part; there has been remarkable improvement. There are just many areas that need more improvement.

We have much to look forward to, with so much happening. My greatest fear is that citizens will break the streak of supporting MAPS or a city bond issue. The beautification is a major concern, as is the fairly lackluster public transit. It is my hope that the next MAPS will include major investments in public beautification and more placemaking as well as transit.

adaniel
07-02-2014, 11:18 PM
I can't really even address this, because "this place sucks" with no specific reasoning is not a mature argument. I would have taken you as a bit smarter than this....

With that in mind, you know yourself better than anyone else and if you feel like you are not meeting your life goals here, then leave. Seriously, no point in staying somewhere you don't like, especially when you don't have a spouse or kids to worry about. And that goes for another certain former North Carolinian on here. I'm under no impression that OKC is for everyone.

Just know I have friends in two places you think are "popping," LA and just outside of Boulder, and they are trying their damnedest to get out for a multitude of reasons. So just understand the grass is not always greener.

bchris02
07-03-2014, 06:27 AM
It sounds like you really do need a change of scenery; it will do you good. While all of those places you mentioned are further ahead OKC in many ways, there are always trade-offs when you leave one place and go to another. However, trade-offs are a matter of individual preference, so you just have to decide what matters most to you and go for the city that most closely matches those preferences. Austin is great, but their roads have not caught up with the growth, so you may have to wait in gridlock to go and enjoy a cool leisure activity. This is just an example. All cities have them. To put it simply, I have lived in all four corners (CA, OR, FL, and NH) and the middle (MO and OK) and I have loved the "middle" states the best for everyday living. Not being around SPECTACULAR landscapes or the ocean does not matter much to me on an everyday basis. That's a trade-off I am willing to accept because the cost of living and central location here make it less expensive to visit my family on long trips to scenic OR and NH. The heartland just "clicks" with me. I feel at home, comfortable. I was born and raised in LA, but that place feels as close to home to me as another planet now! Just not me AT ALL.

I definitely agree about trade-offs. Also different cities match different personalities. Just because somebody was born and raised somewhere doesn't make that the idea place for them.

It's important to find that place that "clicks" with you. For me, Charlotte was that way. I wasn't born and raised there. My entire family was giving me crap for living there the entire time I was out there. It's definitely not the largest, most "popping" city in the US. However, the place was just ME.

I came back to OKC because of the recession and to be closer to family and really hoped I would have liked it just as well, but the trade-offs were more than what I was prepared to make. From an objective standpoint living in OKC requires more trade-offs than many other major cities in the US. For some though it works. Me, at this point I would gladly take Dallas traffic over some of the sacrifices I've made living in OKC.

I am happy for so many transplants, like adaniel, who have been able to have fulfilling lives here despite going against the cultural grain (politics, family-oriented culture). For others, it just doesn't click.

Of Sound Mind
07-03-2014, 06:31 AM
…From an objective standpoint…
Correction, it should read "From my subjective standpoint" … there's nothing wrong with offering your perspective, but it's hardly objective (nor would mine or anyone else's perspective be "objective").

Just the facts
07-03-2014, 07:44 AM
My thing is mindset of people here. There are so many awesome parks like the new one near I-35/I-44 and no one is using them. All the new sidewalks that have been installed, doesn't look like many people are using them.

Have you ever given serious and deep consideration as to why?

FighttheGoodFight
07-03-2014, 07:45 AM
I like OKC because it is cheap to live here. My wife and I make good money and can afford to travel to anywhere. Makes it a nice home base. Housing is cheap.

I couldn't imagine comparing OKC to LA, Dallas, Austin or Boulder. I spent a couple of years living in Dallas and I liked it just fine. It didn't improve my overall life any?

I guess I don't mind if the city is "popping" we find plenty to do, eat good food, hang out with good family and friends and make the best of it. I will most likely live here forever.

I have to agree with adaniel, the "this place sucks" argument isn't a great way to start a thread on improvements. If you don't like OKC you can move and we won't have any hard feelings. I'm going to stick around and slowly work on improving a few things in OKC over time.

Just the facts
07-03-2014, 08:06 AM

Sounds like you need a vacation. Come down to Jax for some R&R.

Bellaboo
07-03-2014, 08:22 AM
I was born and raised an Okie. Lived here my entire 60 years, but have been around the world multiple times. Oklahoma has it's disadvantages in amazing scenery, but has enough scenic diversity not to be boring. The climate can be tough at times, but it's not to hot and not to cold, even though at times extreme. The political climate could be better, even though I lean to the right I consider myself moderate. Our natural resources are a true blessing, having a family in the O & G business is humbling to say the least, we consider ourselves fortunate to live here. The title of this thread is about OKC and not the state. I've had several relatives (younger nephews, nieces and cousins) that have visited in the last couple of years. They have been totally impressed with what they've seen here in OKC compared to their expectations. The view from VAST, the Memorial at night, the Boathouse district, MBG and the downtown core are way more cool to an outsider than what we understand and see as an insider. To make things better ? I like the way people stay involved to make things better (boulevard as an example). I believe our chamber is progressive, enough to enticing GE to locate here is a good example of this. Keeping MAPS alive to enhance our lives and our children's lives for years to come is crucial. Are there better places ? In some ways yes, but in other ways no. Home is what it is, and has been pretty good for me.

Roger S
07-03-2014, 08:46 AM
The BBQ is about the only thing I can think of but I'm doing what I can to try and improve that.

TheTravellers
07-03-2014, 09:25 AM
The BBQ is about the only thing I can think of but I'm doing what I can to try and improve that.

Ha, I'll agree with that (although there's many other things wrong with OKC that I've posted about in other threads, so I won't beat the dead horse here), but I can't do much to improve it since I saw an infographic the other day that said it basically costs $200,000-700,000 to open a restaurant, so my thought of bringing good BBQ to OKC went poof...

Bullbear
07-03-2014, 10:07 AM
I have to say this thread is surprising. I have always enjoyed this forum mostly because of all the positive people who enjoy watching OKC develop and get better. Every person I have visit is pleasantly surprised by OKC and they aren't coming to visit from Wichita but from NYC, Seattle, Austin, Dallas, London, San Diego. is it perfect? far from it as I don't think many places are. the political enviroment is horrible but things don't get better by running away to greener pastures but some people have to do what they have to do. the negativity of this thread though is disheartining and makes me wonder why even have an interest in OKCtalk if that is your feeling. To each their own though.

Plutonic Panda
07-03-2014, 10:15 AM
I have to say this thread is surprising. I have always enjoyed this forum mostly because of all the positive people who enjoy watching OKC develop and get better. Every person I have visit is pleasantly surprised by OKC and they aren't coming to visit from Wichita but from NYC, Seattle, Austin, Dallas, London, San Diego. is it perfect? far from it as I don't think many places are. the political enviroment is horrible but things don't get better by running away to greener pastures but some people have to do what they have to do. the negativity of this thread though is disheartining and makes me wonder why even have an interest in OKCtalk if that is your feeling. To each their own though.sorry man.

disregard this thread. I've just been depressed lately. I didn't mean what I said in my post.

OkieNate
07-03-2014, 10:26 AM
I have to say this thread is surprising. I have always enjoyed this forum mostly because of all the positive people who enjoy watching OKC develop and get better. Every person I have visit is pleasantly surprised by OKC and they aren't coming to visit from Wichita but from NYC, Seattle, Austin, Dallas, London, San Diego. is it perfect? far from it as I don't think many places are. the political enviroment is horrible but things don't get better by running away to greener pastures but some people have to do what they have to do. the negativity of this thread though is disheartining and makes me wonder why even have an interest in OKCtalk if that is your feeling. To each their own though.

Don't let them get you down! BSchris is just some whiny loser with no friends in Oklahoma City and no options to get out so he is incredibly bitter. We've figured him out a while a go, so just laugh at him and the fact he is stuck in a place he loathes haha. Of course Oklahoma City could be better and I agree our political atmosphere is by far the worst thing about our state/city. Complaining about our geographical location is the stupidest thing I've ever read on here...I love this city with all my heart and I know many people who feel the exact same. We live in a uniquely kind and friendly city/state, thats something money can't buy. Not to mention the city is coming into its heyday as it truly is a fairly young city with incredible potential and a bright future, as long as we(positive people) continue to be louder than them(debie downers). Happy 4th of July!

Bullbear
07-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Don't let them get you down! BSchris is just some whiny loser with no friends in Oklahoma City and no options to get out so he is incredibly bitter. We've figured him out a while a go, so just laugh at him and the fact he is stuck in a place he loathes haha. Of course Oklahoma City could be better and I agree our political atmosphere is by far the worst thing about our state/city. Complaining about our geographical location is the stupidest thing I've ever read on here...I love this city with all my heart and I know many people who feel the exact same. We live in a uniquely kind and friendly city/state, thats something money can't buy. Not to mention the city is coming into its heyday as it truly is a fairly young city with incredible potential and a bright future, as long as we(positive people) continue to be louder than them(debie downers). Happy 4th of July!

True.. and some people are not happy unless they are unhappy. the grass is always greener but then they get there and then what.. OH NO!.. I am unhappy again. you know why?.. well because when you left.. you took YOU with you.

Of Sound Mind
07-03-2014, 10:39 AM
sorry man.

disregard this thread. I've just been depressed lately. I didn't mean what I said in my post.

We all have those moments and those times... hopefully you have someone you can turn to for help. I know you really do care about this city and your post sounded like a "bad day" rant.

Achilleslastand
07-03-2014, 10:42 AM
I wish the city would give more attention to areas other than bricktown and downtown.

Plutonic Panda
07-03-2014, 10:48 AM
We all have those moments and those times... hopefully you have someone you can turn to for help. I know you really do care about this city and your post sounded like a "bad day" rant.Thanks man. It was just "one of those days" on top of a depression spell I get every now and then but it's no prob.... we all have our ups and downs... I still plan on moving out, but not because I absolutely hate it here. I've was in a month long exchange defending OKC from some lady on city data who was from San Fran who spewing out non-sense. I actually am either moving to West Hollywood or Manhattan. I don't want to move to NYC though because of the weather, but I might have to... time will tell.

soonerguru
07-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Thanks man. It was just "one of those days" on top of a depression spell I get every now and then but it's no prob.... we all have our ups and downs... I still plan on moving out, but not because I absolutely hate it here. I've was in a month long exchange defending OKC from some lady on city data who was from San Fran who spewing out non-sense. I actually am either moving to West Hollywood or Manhattan. I don't want to move to NYC though because of the weather, but I might have to... time will tell.

Weather in NYC isn't so bad.

Plutonic Panda
07-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Weather in NYC isn't so bad.The winter lol....

FighttheGoodFight
07-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Thanks man. It was just "one of those days" on top of a depression spell I get every now and then but it's no prob.... we all have our ups and downs... I still plan on moving out, but not because I absolutely hate it here. I've was in a month long exchange defending OKC from some lady on city data who was from San Fran who spewing out non-sense. I actually am either moving to West Hollywood or Manhattan. I don't want to move to NYC though because of the weather, but I might have to... time will tell.

Hope everything turns out well for you! I would say go to Hollywood the weather is much nicer.

bchris02
07-03-2014, 01:31 PM
I will say one thing. Sometimes I am very negative. However, I never personally insult or belittle anybody on this site for their preferences.

Plutonic Panda
07-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Hope everything turns out well for you! I would say go to Hollywood the weather is much nicer.Thank you! I do it haha...

Yeah, I want to get into surfing as well, so that's another plus there.

gjl
07-03-2014, 01:42 PM
It must really suck to be young these days. Must be even worse to be a young progressive. Life is what you make it, not what some city makes it for you. I've lived here since 1960 at the age of 5. Had some great times growing up as a teenager. Got a really good job in my early 20s. In the late 70s and 80s we were out partying all the time. Dance clubs, bars, going to the lake on weekends in the summer. Settled down in the 90s got married and raised a family. Retired in 03 at the age of 47. You know in all those years I don't think I ever got up in the morning and thought, you know, I'm miserable because there are no sidewalks in OKC. or got home from going somewhere and thought, I'm really miserable because there in just not enough landscaping on that street I just drove down. Or this place just sucks because there are no people in the parks. Is this really what young people are depressed about these days. My advice is go out and have a good time while you are young. Those ages fly by so fast that before you know it you wake up one day and you are 60. Again, your life is what YOU and you alone are going to make of it. Don't depend on a city to make you happy. There is plenty here to do.

Plutonic Panda
07-03-2014, 01:50 PM
It must really suck to be young these days. Must be even worse to be a young progressive. Life is what you make it, not what some city makes it for you. I've lived here since 1960 at the age of 5. Had some great times growing up as a teenager. Got a really good job in my early 20s. In the late 70s and 80s we were out partying all the time. Dance clubs, bars, going to the lake on weekends in the summer. Settled down in the 90s got married and raised a family. Retired in 03 at the age of 47. You know in all those years I don't think I ever got up in the morning and thought, you know, I'm miserable because there are no sidewalks in OKC. or got home from going somewhere and thought, I'm really miserable because there in just not enough landscaping on that street I just drove down. Or this place just sucks because there are no people in the parks. Is this really what young people are depressed about these days. My advice is go out and have a good time while you are young. Those ages fly by so fast that before you know it you wake up one day and you are 60. Again, your life is what YOU and you alone are going to make of it. Don't depend on a city to make you happy. There is plenty here to do.you're right man. It's all a matter of perspective. It's amazing how many awesome places there are in this city. Some many neighborhoods on the outskirts that are something completely unexpected and places like Paseo are an awesome asset.

TheTravellers
07-03-2014, 02:00 PM
It must really suck to be young these days. Must be even worse to be a young progressive. Life is what you make it, not what some city makes it for you. I've lived here since 1960 at the age of 5. Had some great times growing up as a teenager. Got a really good job in my early 20s. In the late 70s and 80s we were out partying all the time. Dance clubs, bars, going to the lake on weekends in the summer. Settled down in the 90s got married and raised a family. Retired in 03 at the age of 47. You know in all those years I don't think I ever got up in the morning and thought, you know, I'm miserable because there are no sidewalks in OKC. or got home from going somewhere and thought, I'm really miserable because there in just not enough landscaping on that street I just drove down. Or this place just sucks because there are no people in the parks. Is this really what young people are depressed about these days. My advice is go out and have a good time while you are young. Those ages fly by so fast that before you know it you wake up one day and you are 60. Again, your life is what YOU and you alone are going to make of it. Don't depend on a city to make you happy. There is plenty here to do.

Some people like to live in their own world and don't really care about much that doesn't affect them immediately and personally, and others live in another world and care about things like sidewalks, political beliefs, the future, and things outside their immediate purview. I know lots of people that are the former and they actually say "I don't care much about that kind of thing, I just do my thing here and don't think about much else and let everything happen" (almost an exact quote). I'm of the latter viewpoint, though, I can't just stick my head in my bubble and live in my own world, doing my own thing, and just live my life, doot-de-doot-de-do, I want to try to improve the things I can... Way too many folks in OK that just go about their daily lives and don't care about changing/improving things, which is part of why we're on the bottom of good lists and top of bad lists. And if you're someone like me, it's disheartening to live someplace like that.

Just remember, PluPan, it's expensive to move, both financially and personally, don't do it too much (we moved from OKC to Milwaukee to Indiana to Chicagoland to 2 places in the Seattle area back to here)...

OkieNate
07-03-2014, 03:52 PM

This is such a great response, I wish I was wise and mature enough to have written this but it's no secret I cannot stand a certain poster. I relate to this post VERY much as I am in my mid 20s have seen a lot of the US and a fair amount of the world for someone my age. I've always said I need to get out of Oklahoma on more than one occasion a year but I am always happy to come HOME. (even from Maui!). Thank you for your words they hit home with me!

catch22
07-03-2014, 04:11 PM
What I don't like:

1. The prevailing political and social expectations.

It's difficult to be a progressive in this state. But that is slowly changing.

2. The culture.

The societal expectation for someone my age:

Already be in a committed, serious relationship where marriage and kids are already in the pipeline. Suburban acreage, large truck, and fishing/lake plans this weekend.

3. The weather

I work outside all day. It's either 110 degrees and no wind, or 18 degrees and 45 mph wind. Very rarely is there a moderate temperature or day.

4. Unwalkable

I hate the over dependence on driving. I hate that I have to drive a mile through my neighborhood to reach the grocery store that is literally 450 feet from my doorstep. But the 13 foot wall around my neighborhood, and single point entrance to my neighborhood prohibits and restricts the simple activity known as walking. You can have your suburbs, but we should also still make walking, well...walkable.

Regarding the above posters. I don't mind the grit. I don't mind the power poles. I actually don't like perfectly manicured and sterile urban environments. To me, I like to feel like I live in a real city. The perfect manicured, sterile environment seems fake to me. But, that is not to say I enjoy seeing trash on the streets, poorly maintained infrastructure, and poor city planning.

bchris02
07-03-2014, 04:22 PM
This is such a great response, I wish I was wise and mature enough to have written this but it's no secret I cannot stand a certain poster. I relate to this post VERY much as I am in my mid 20s have seen a lot of the US and a fair amount of the world for someone my age. I've always said I need to get out of Oklahoma on more than one occasion a year but I am always happy to come HOME. (even from Maui!). Thank you for your words they hit home with me!

This board has an ignore feature. You should try it out.

What I don't like:

1. The prevailing political and social expectations.

It's difficult to be a progressive in this state. But that is slowly changing.

2. The culture.

The societal expectation for someone my age:

Already be in a committed, serious relationship where marriage and kids are already in the pipeline. Suburban acreage, large truck, and fishing/lake plans this weekend.

3. The weather

I work outside all day. It's either 110 degrees and no wind, or 18 degrees and 45 mph wind. Very rarely is there a moderate temperature or day.

4. Unwalkable

I hate the over dependence on driving. I hate that I have to drive a mile through my neighborhood to reach the grocery store that is literally 450 feet from my doorstep. But the 13 foot wall around my neighborhood, and single point entrance to my neighborhood prohibits and restricts the simple activity known as walking. You can have your suburbs, but we should also still make walking, well...walkable.

Regarding the above posters. I don't mind the grit. I don't mind the power poles. I actually don't like perfectly manicured and sterile urban environments. To me, I like to feel like I live in a real city. The perfect manicured, sterile environment seems fake to me. But, that is not to say I enjoy seeing trash on the streets, poorly maintained infrastructure, and poor city planning.

I agree 150% with this.

Your second point is probably what irritates me the most out of everything. Individualism here is highly discouraged. There is tremendous social pressure here for everybody follow a certain life path and be at a certain point in life at a certain age. Certain interest/hobbies are also expected i.e. fishing, hunting, sports (college or NBA basketball), mudding, etc. If you stray from that it can be difficult finding your niche.

As for my previous comment about grit, I am mostly referring to the suburban areas. OKC has many "upscale" suburban areas that could be very nice if cleaned up a bit. I actually like a lot of the grit in the core. For instance, I really like the look of NW 23rd St. On that stretch I actually feel like I am in a major city.

gjl
07-03-2014, 04:31 PM
I was 36 when I got married the first time. I never felt any pressure to get married or have kids. I saw a lot of my friends get married and have kids young then get divorced. Also I never had kids but I raised 2 step kids. You can ignore what perceived pressures you think are out there. Never owned a pick up truck until I was 40. And wasn't always at the lake in the summer. Played a lot of golf too. You can make your life fun or you can mope around and wish it was.

OkieNate
07-03-2014, 05:07 PM
This board has an ignore feature. You should try it out.

I agree 150% with this.

Your second point is probably what irritates me the most out of everything. Individualism here is highly discouraged. There is tremendous social pressure here for everybody follow a certain life path and be at a certain point in life at a certain age. Certain interest/hobbies are also expected i.e. fishing, hunting, sports (college or NBA basketball), mudding, etc. If you stray from that it can be difficult finding your niche.

As for my previous comment about grit, I am mostly referring to the suburban areas. OKC has many "upscale" suburban areas that could be very nice if cleaned up a bit. I actually like a lot of the grit in the core. For instance, I really like the look of NW 23rd St. On that stretch I actually feel like I am in a major city.

This is my preference to do this. Glad you knew who I was referring to. ;)

LandRunOkie
07-03-2014, 06:11 PM
As Stephen King wrote, summer is the season of dreams. Also I think you're suffering from some cognitive dissonance. The view being told to you by the media of what OKC is is very different than what it actually is. A lot of this has to do with the coverage/propaganda about the OKC Thunder. Let me tell you some advice, don't live your life waiting for OKC to be a "championship city". People who expect to be happy "someday" will never be happy. The here and now is infinitely more important than a pro team's accomplishments. Focus on achieving the goals you can control and ignore everything else. /endrant

ljbab728
07-03-2014, 09:15 PM
I actually am either moving to West Hollywood or Manhattan. I don't want to move to NYC though because of the weather, but I might have to... time will tell.

Plupan, you may find some "cougars" in West Hollywood but I would suggest you check closely to be sure they are female. :)

Eddie1
07-03-2014, 10:42 PM

Probably one of the most insightful posts I've read on this site.

Plutonic Panda
07-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Plupan, you may find some "cougars" in West Hollywood but I would suggest you check closely to be sure they are female. :)you mean human? haha.... That's a REAL plus right there to lol.... I already know a couple on FB that live there ;)

Celebrator
07-04-2014, 12:57 AM
Way too many folks in OK that just go about their daily lives and don't care about changing/improving things, which is part of why we're on the bottom of good lists and top of bad lists. And if you're someone like me, it's disheartening to live someplace like that.

Really have not seen this here at all. I came from a place (Orlando, FL) where this attitude seemed to be rampant though. There, it was "I'm here for my slice of the sunshine, don't bother me about anything else" and "I paid my taxes up north, I don't want to contribute my money here for community improvement." (This is what I heard when a half penny sales tax increase to improve the schools failed to pass...I was a teacher down there and that commented fried me!) If there weren't the tourist dollars flowing in that pay for so many of the improvements, I really don't think the improvements (infrastructure, streetscape, etc.) would be of the scale or quality you see down there. Anyway, here there are lots of grass-roots efforts for making things better, I think that is undeniable, really. There is a generally unified feel that people support and want to work for continuous improvement for OKC. I LOVE that about here.

Questor
07-04-2014, 01:38 PM
I wish people here (the majority populace) were more creative. They're just not. It impacts the design of buildings, the look of neighborhoods, the dated interiors of brand new houses, the way things are laid out, the type of businesses we have, the type of businesses we don't have, the types of job opportunities there are, the recreational activities available, the food, the types of hobbies people are into... Really it's a problem with tentacles into almost every facet of life here.

Also, this city is overrun with government workers. It feels about as bad as DC. I tend to think this and the creativity problem are inter related.

Bellaboo
07-04-2014, 03:21 PM
My 91 year old mom always quotes, 'If you're bored, then your boring, so get up off your duff and do something'. I think a lot of the complaining here comes from this scenario. Don't wait for something cool to happen, do what you can to make it happen. rant off.

Bellaboo
07-04-2014, 10:33 PM
I wish people here (the majority populace) were more creative. They're just not. It impacts the design of buildings, the look of neighborhoods, the dated interiors of brand new houses, the way things are laid out, the type of businesses we have, the type of businesses we don't have, the types of job opportunities there are, the recreational activities available, the food, the types of hobbies people are into... Really it's a problem with tentacles into almost every facet of life here.

Also, this city is overrun with government workers. It feels about as bad as DC. I tend to think this and the creativity problem are inter related.

Not sure if it's still this way, but back in the '70's, Denver Colorado was know as 'Washington DC West', due to the fact they had more government workers than any state west of the Mississippi.
I wonder if they feel the same way ?

gamecock
07-05-2014, 12:48 AM
I don't like this . . .

The six states where you can?t buy alcohol today - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/07/04/the-six-states-where-you-cant-buy-alcohol-today/)

zookeeper
07-05-2014, 01:08 AM

I agree. Lately, there's been a lot of talk about the numbers of federal workers in Oklahoma City, tied to Tinker, FAA, and supporting industry. But it's also the state capital with its huge bureaucracy of workers, and then of course, we're a big city with many municipal workers, and the county seat to boot. So when you add up those who depend on a living from the federal, state, and city and county governments - it's substantial.

I think I've seen a creative shift though. You see more young professionals that are staying here (even coming here!) and that helps the creativity.

I wish we had more jobs for those with an education in the liberal arts. It would bring more intellectual heft to the city. We need more readers, lectures to attend, thinking conversation that goes further than OU football, the Thunder, and the oil and gas industry. Nothing against those interests, I like a good sports conversation, but it's almost our collective interest that excludes as "snooty" intellectual activities, hangouts, etc. I've never been in a city that reads so little and is less interested in self-learning. No open universities, few outlets for the humanities, and these are a class of people I'd like to see Oklahoma City attract. Many times these people intersect with creatives, so there's hope for more of this.

Oklahoma City has lots of shortcomings, but so does every other city. The Grass is Always Greener is true just about everywhere. By & large, I don't just "tolerate" this city - I like it!

bchris02
07-05-2014, 06:54 AM
Extreme conservatism and anti-intellectualism go hand-in-hand. It also drives away the creative class leading to the issue with creativity somebody posted about above. That is why OKC is the way it is. Zookeeper is right, it's so incredibly difficult to find somebody in this town to have a conversation with about something other than sports, Christianity, conservative politics, etc. Nothing wrong with those things but I too have noticed how so many people here consider intellectual topics as being "snooty" or "elitist."

I am sure the "Grass is always greener" attitude shows up everywhere, especially among young people who want to get out and experience the world. However, OKC can be challenging if you're not a specific type of person. This town isn't for everyone and if somebody doesn't like it here, you can't immediately jump to the conclusion that it's a problem with that person.

My father could never be happy in a big city. He has lived in them but prefers small towns and rural areas. That is simply his preference. That's not my preference, but that's okay because we are all unique.

Bunty
07-05-2014, 07:41 AM
I don't like this . . .

The six states where you can?t buy alcohol today - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/07/04/the-six-states-where-you-cant-buy-alcohol-today/)

Then ask who's running for legislator, if he or she is willing to act to repeal remaining state wide prohibitive laws on alcohol. Its quite an ordeal to resort to a petition to try to do it. However, it's about as likely to happen as repealing the law that bans sales of cars on Sunday. It's a time honored custom or tradition that most people don't seem very willing to let go of, or do anything about.

BlackmoreRulz
07-05-2014, 08:34 AM
I hear all of these complaints about the political climate in this state but there was a blurb on the radio the other day that said that there were more registered Democrats in this state than Republican's. Why is it that the conservatives dominate our legislature if this is true? With government workers supposedly dominating our economy, wouldn't these people be compelled to vote for the big governments candidates? I see all of this gnashing of teeth digitally, but see nothing publicly of anyone trying to change it?

KenRagsdale
07-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Then ask who's running for legislator, if he or she is willing to act to repeal remaining state wide prohibitive laws on alcohol. Its quite an ordeal to resort to a petition to try to do it. However, it's about as likely to happen as repealing the law that bans sales of cars on Sunday. It's a time honored custom or tradition that most people don't seem very willing to let go of, or do anything about.

The retail liquor store owners' lobby does not want it, and there are package store owners in a large number of legislative districts, if not all. They prefer the time-off.

bchris02
07-05-2014, 09:53 AM
The retail liquor store owners' lobby does not want it, and there are package store owners in a large number of legislative districts, if not all. They prefer the time-off.

Everything cannot be blamed on a mythical "liquor lobby." The real reason the liquor laws don't get changed in this state is apathy. Though I am sure real liquor law reform would likely pass if it ended up on the ballot, most people here simply accept things as they are because that's the way they always have been. On top of that, you have religious groups and MADD groups fighting hard to keep any kind of reform from happening. Only a small portion of those who would vote for reform are passionate enough about it to raise a voice. I am not real confident about any kind of liquor law reform happening in Oklahoma within the next 15 years at least.

catch22
07-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Until we get more progressive lawmakers, don't expect many changes to our freedom to purchase alcohol outside of strict hours set by the conservative government.