View Full Version : Help this old gal to jog her memories.

biznesschic1959
06-29-2014, 12:40 PM
This is for the serious old timers who grew up in OKC. Please let me know if you remember the following:

Berger bros meats? (SP). As a young kid, my mom would shop at a butcher shop, that was in between downtown OKC and the south side. It was called something like Berger Bros? I believe two brothers sold meat behind a counter, and wrap it in white paper?

Broaster fried chicken, somewhere between NE 10th and 13th on Walker, before Urban Renewal. Seems as if that was the only item they sold. They would fry chicken in a seal vat, and was always hot. You would receive those thick french fries, and delicious rolls with honey an butter, served in a white box lunch. Favorite food in our house for lunch on Saturday afternoons.

Now this one is only for the serious older Oklahoman. There was a country store, somewhere on NE 3rd street, behind the 4th street YMCA. Seems as it was owned by European immigrants, who had an accent. They sold everything from toys to clothing, but their specialty was meat. My mother would go there to buy her pork chops, ground beef, and ham hocks. I remember I would love to go there to get a hunk of baloney, served with saltine crackers and an ice cold coke from the old time machine. The highway was built where the store stood, so they disappeared from the map.

Mexican restaurant past the "circle" on NE 23rd and the expressway. I remember my dad taking his sister from California there in the late 60's but cant remember the name.

The old hamburger shop on MLK, (eastern) around 16th street across from Kennedy school. I was so excited to get that dry hamburger for a quarter.

My brother worked for the summer while he was in college, at a park that had a round swimming pool in the Culbertson neighborhood, around 16th and Kelly?

Am I going crazy with these memories, or are they for real. Please HELP if anyone remembers.

BlackmoreRulz
06-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Berger Bros was just north of the post office that was on SW 4th, on Harvey I believe, used to have some great sausages.

The mexican restaurant on 23rd was the original El Rancho Sanchez if you're talking east of the circle.

biznesschic1959
06-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Thanks. That was the Mexican restaurant. Had great food. I believe the hamburger stand on NE 16th was Diary Boy?