View Full Version : Mass Transit in Tulsa

Plutonic Panda
06-23-2014, 07:50 PM
A new multimodal transit hub will not be built.

Route unclear after study: Multimodal transportation center not likely, official says | The Journal Record (http://journalrecord.com/2014/06/23/route-unclear-after-study-multimodal-transportation-center-not-likely-official-says-general-news/)

Plutonic Panda
07-12-2014, 01:54 AM
Ginnie Graham: Take a Tulsa Transit bus to a destination just once - Tulsa World: Homepage1 (http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage1/ginnie-graham-take-a-tulsa-transit-bus-to-a-destination/article_082ab463-f707-50ec-bfa6-ec1945a02f04.html)

shawnw
07-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Tulsa might be the one city with a bigger car-centric problem than OKC, and with a bigger bus system problem.

Just the facts
07-15-2014, 09:06 AM
You know - it makes you wonder if funding buses on fixed routes is even worth it. I wonder how much it would cost if MetroTransit just covered the Uber fare for riders. Buy an annual bus pass and subcontract the rides to Uber.

Jersey Boss
07-15-2014, 09:25 AM
You know - it makes you wonder if funding buses on fixed routes is even worth it. I wonder how much it would cost if MetroTransit just covered the Uber fare for riders. Buy an annual bus pass and subcontract the rides to Uber.

What % of regular riders of MetroTransit have a smart phone?

shawnw
07-15-2014, 09:31 AM
I know some kids at my daughter's school that are from dirt broke families but they have free smartphones (with data, because my daughter doesn't have data and likes to raz me about this), that I think they got from some government program...

bombermwc
07-17-2014, 07:39 AM
That used to really bother me too until I had someone explain something to me Shawnw. The government does provide phones to low income households, but they're used to keep track of the families, not just to give them a phone. So many low income folks move frequently and wouldn't update contact information (or wouldn't re-up phone service) that they were unable to track where the people went (especially children) and contact them regarding renewing program registrations (like WIC). Since the phone goes with them no matter where they go (and who doesn't have it attached to their hip now), it's easier to keep in touch. And if they chose not to keep in touch, it is a lot easier to narrow down where the person lives. Cell signal (especially when integrated with e-911) can help triangulate positions. Even if you get it down to a general few blocks, at least you can process through transactions in that area to locate a family if they are being uncooperative instead of having the whole city to consider.

shawnw
07-17-2014, 09:00 AM
I don't object to the program, but my daughter does!