Plutonic Panda
06-23-2014, 02:05 PM
This is nice

Metro Cities Offer Low Cost Rain Barrels To Help Environment

Posted: Jun 23, 2014 2:45 PM CDT
Updated: Jun 23, 2014 2:46 PM CDT
By News9.com - email

OKLAHOMA CITY - By Hannah Morris
The City of Oklahoma City, Yukon, Midwest City and the Central Oklahoma Storm Water Alliance (COSWA) are partnering to encourage residents to conserve water and reduce pollution through the use of rain barrels.

"Rain barrels are a way for homeowners to save money by saving water," said Oklahoma City's Environmental Protection Manager Raymond Melton. "Not only can they use the water collected in the rain barrel to water their gardens, they are also actively helping the environment by reducing pollution in local streams and rivers."

The discounted rain barrels are offered online at Upcycle Products Inc. starting at $61 plus $2.50 online handling fee. Once you are at the Upcycle Products Inc. website, click on the right side of the page and choose West Metro/Yukon.

Rain barrels ordered online can be picked up from noon to 4 p.m. on July 18 and from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on July 19 at 1035 Industrial Drive in Yukon. Bring your online order confirmation to the pickup event.

Future rain barrel pick up events will take place in Midwest City in October 2014 and Oklahoma City in March 2015.

For more information, contact Kacie Horton at 297-1774.

- Metro Cities Offer Low Cost Rain Barrels To Help Environment - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/25848136/metro-cities-offer-low-cost-rain-barrels-to-help-environment)

MsProudSooner
06-23-2014, 02:33 PM
My daughter lives in Allen, Texas. They are in Stage 3 water rationing and have been at that stage for a couple of years. They only supposed to water their lawn twice a week. The rain barrels sound like a good idea. I wonder if they've been encouraged to do that in Allen.

bradh
06-23-2014, 06:21 PM
I still see way too many sprinklers going, especially the HOA ran ones. My system has been off for basically over a month now, and the yard is still very green.

venture
06-23-2014, 06:29 PM
I still see way too many sprinklers going, especially the HOA ran ones. My system has been off for basically over a month now, and the yard is still very green.

I'm guessing most of those also ignore the fact the OKC is under continuous Odd/Even watering now. Some people just don't care.

betts
06-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Some people don't care about pesticides either (New study out of the U. of California possibly linking maternal nearness to farms with high pesticide use to higher rates of autism, by the way - which may be one reason why autism rates are increasing so dramatically), or recycling, or decreasing pollution. My guess is it's the same attitudes - bad stuff won't happen to me. We won't run out of water, we won't poison our environment, global warming isn't real.

boitoirich
06-24-2014, 01:51 AM
Betts, I see sprinklers running in the rain and I just get livid. My partner didn't see the big deal, and I realized that the owners probably didn't either. To me, I thought it all boiled down to a lack of environmental education in this state. But when I met some homeowners, it became clear that it was really more than that: so many people refuse to believe that their way of life contributes in any way to the environment.

Well, believe me my partner knows now exactly how I feel about the nexus of the environment, urban living, convenience, and entertainment. I may have gone off the deep end, because he now asks if it's OK to take a bath instead of a shower. But maybe even that is a win.

betts
06-24-2014, 04:52 AM
What's interesting to me is that it almost seems to be a Republican Party platform that these things aren't real threats to mankind. And some people accept it like the Bible. I am a Conservative Republican ergo I do not believe in global warming, recycling is a waste of time, factories shouldn't be penalized economically for polluting the air, God gave man dominance over the water and so frivolous use is just fine, God forbid we come between Pharmaceutical companies and their profits, so it's just fine for Big Pharma to sell antibiotics to feed lots to make cattle fatter - never mind it creates antibiotic resistance. Big Pharma can just invent some insanely expensive new antibiotic for us whenever we can't use the others. Obviously there are exceptions, but I'm fairly shocked to hear some of my intelligent, conservative friends spout this kind of stuff.

ylouder
06-24-2014, 05:49 AM
It's insane.

I'm on well water but still wonder how so many can turn a blind eye to industry use of 2-5 million gallons per oil/gas well (i think i heard something like 4600 wells completed last year), permanently make the water toxic, and then inject it further into the earth and expect it never to reenter the water cycle - ever. Never mind the 2300 earthquakes we've had this year to date where obviously the faults are being lubricated and shifting. That polluted water will never go anywhere except where that 3rd party llc contractor put it.

There is no drought, we arent compromising our limited aquifer and drinking water, ground water never runs out, recent and well recorded fracing water water polluting residents water supplies never happened. Period.

And I'm going to water my yard 5 days a week and when it's raining.

Urbanized
06-24-2014, 06:11 AM
I haven't watered my lawn in 9 years. You're welcome.

Just the facts
06-24-2014, 06:47 AM
But when I met some homeowners, it became clear that it was really more than that: so many people refuse to believe that their way of life contributes in any way to the environment.

It is even worse that that. Many people have attached political meaning to their way of life, which means if their politics is correct (which it is in their own mind) then there lifestyle must also be correct - and any perceived attack on their lifestyle is an attack on their politics, and then it goes downhill from there. I deal with it every single day from my 'conservative' friends. They equate their 1/3 acre lawn with Republican politics and if I tell them we don't have enough water to create 10,000 more 1/3 acre lawns for the 40,000 people moving to Jax in the 5 years then I am instantly branded a big government liberal (and we all know THAT isn't true) because an attack on their lifestyle is an attack on their politics. I think many of you here can identify the OKCTalk posters who follow this pattern to a 'T'.

RadicalModerate
06-24-2014, 06:48 AM

What was that old quip by Dorothy Parker . . ? "You can lead a HOA to water, but you can't make it think" . . ?

(for the sake of deobsfucation: You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/418100.html) )

(Is there a safe and organic pesticide to keep rain barrel water from becoming a breeding place for mosquitos?)

Dennis Heaton
06-24-2014, 07:26 AM
"deobsfucation"...is that similar to de-nazification?

bombermwc
06-24-2014, 07:40 AM

You laugh, but that's not as bad of a thing as it sounds. I purposely do not water my yard except a handful of times when it's extremely hot outside. What it does is force the grass to root much deeper. The more you water, the shorter the roots get. That shorter root causes it to be more drought prone. So while everyone with a sprinkler is going crazy to keep their grass from turning brown (or letting it go dormant), mine is actually still a normal color of green with MAYBE one a week watering. And it also means I only have to mow every other week instead of every week. That also means less motor exhaust from my mower (everything else it electric).

All this mess people do with spraying their yard is crazy too. I spray on a couple of rounds of pre-emergent in March, then some plan boring fertilizer in May. I have very little weeds and a nice thick green yard of grass. There is really so very little effort that has to be put forth to keep your yard green, and to do it in a less-impactful way. A lot of people don't get the education to do it, but like others have said, some people just don't care or don't think they have any impact. For those that think they don't have an impact, they won't change their mind until a law prohibits them from doing something (like non-nitrate fertilizers or something).

Mr. Cotter
06-24-2014, 07:53 AM
How about the sprinkler heads pointed at the street?

If it goes a week without raining, I water once. I figure I do enough environmental good by using a push reel mower to make up for the occasional watering.

MadMonk
06-24-2014, 08:24 AM

You really have to do something about that. Your neighbors are beginning to complain. :wink:

http://img.diynetwork.com/DIY/2011/03/31/Original_Weeds-Front-Yard_s4x3_lg.jpg

mkjeeves
06-24-2014, 08:31 AM
My lawn turned to dust bowl dirt after 2 decades of not watering, not fertilizing, not following "proper" turf care procedures along with the last few years of drought. Since the lot is sloped, that meant erosion when it did rain. This spring we knocked down all the furrowing, reseeded, poured the water and fertilizer to it and are now backing off to get the roots to grow down. It looks great, better even than when we moved in. I'm sure we'll find a happy medium, die or move before we kill it again.

Just the facts
06-24-2014, 08:47 AM
I don't think Urbanized has a yard to water.

mkjeeves
06-24-2014, 08:48 AM
I don't think Urbanized has a yard to water.

Isn't he the guy who makes a living from recreation on an artificial waterway or do I have my people confused?

Dennis Heaton
06-24-2014, 09:07 AM
How about the sprinkler heads pointed at the street?

If it goes a week without raining, I water once. I figure I do enough environmental good by using a push reel mower to make up for the occasional watering.

Last Friday, Penn Square Mall had their Sprinklers going full blast...in the middle of the day!

The ones that really irk me, are the Apartment complexes, Neighborhood Associations, and the little Strip Malls that have their Sprinklers running...while it's raining!

If they don't stop doing that, we just might see another...

bradh
06-24-2014, 09:58 AM
What's interesting to me is that it almost seems to be a Republican Party platform that these things aren't real threats to mankind. And some people accept it like the Bible. I am a Conservative Republican ergo I do not believe in global warming, recycling is a waste of time, factories shouldn't be penalized economically for polluting the air, God gave man dominance over the water and so frivolous use is just fine, God forbid we come between Pharmaceutical companies and their profits, so it's just fine for Big Pharma to sell antibiotics to feed lots to make cattle fatter - never mind it creates antibiotic resistance. Big Pharma can just invent some insanely expensive new antibiotic for us whenever we can't use the others. Obviously there are exceptions, but I'm fairly shocked to hear some of my intelligent, conservative friends spout this kind of stuff.

Wow, touched a button I see, you sure are painting with an awfully broad brush for someone who normally doesn't do so.

I consider myself conservative Republican, but am not totally ignorant to the land. You'll find many of the gun owning outdoorsman type Republicans are not disrespectful towards the land like you say. I don't think it's political like you say, it's just ignorant. But of course, it's par for the course on this board to haphazardly associate ignorance with conservative.

HangryHippo
06-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Wow, touched a button I see, you sure are painting with an awfully broad brush for someone who normally doesn't do so.

I consider myself conservative Republican, but am not totally ignorant to the land. You'll find many of the gun owning outdoorsman type Republicans are not disrespectful towards the land like you say. I don't think it's political like you say, it's just ignorant. But of course, it's par for the course on this board to haphazardly associate ignorance with conservative.

You are one person. And it absolutely is political and becoming more so. Mainly owing to the fact it may introduce "burdensome regulation on industry." God forbid they're held responsible in any way.

Bill Robertson
06-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Every morning the median on Classen from about NW30th to about NW45th has sprinklers on as we go to work. This morning the water covered all three lanes of Classen. Asphalt need not be watered.

soonerguru
06-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Call the city action line. This is ridiculous and wasteful, particularly after we have had 12 inches of rain in the last month.

Bill Robertson
06-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Call the city action line. This is ridiculous and wasteful, particularly after we have had 12 inches of rain in the last month.
I didn't think of that. I will now.

bradh
06-24-2014, 11:26 AM
You are one person. And it absolutely is political and becoming more so. Mainly owing to the fact it may introduce "burdensome regulation on industry." God forbid they're held responsible in any way.

What would be a better option would be instead of burdensome regulation (which is what it always turns about to be, although the intent is sound, the execution is always overkill and bureaucratic), offer incentives to those who find better ways to do business, by polluting less, using less water, etc. Maybe it's already being done, but if an O&G exploration outfit develops better ways to utilize recycle water in their operations, reward that ingenuity and desire. Same goes for any other industry.

Just the facts
06-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Maybe it's already being done, but if an O&G exploration outfit develops better ways to utilize recycle water in their operations, reward that ingenuity and desire. Same goes for any other industry.

OR... the City can adopt a land-use and development plan that by its very nature reduces the very need for water (or oil and gas or whatever the resource may be).

soonerguru
06-24-2014, 11:49 AM
What would be a better option would be instead of burdensome regulation (which is what it always turns about to be, although the intent is sound, the execution is always overkill and bureaucratic), offer incentives to those who find better ways to do business, by polluting less, using less water, etc. Maybe it's already being done, but if an O&G exploration outfit develops better ways to utilize recycle water in their operations, reward that ingenuity and desire. Same goes for any other industry.

This is a solid idea, but right now drilling already gets state and federal tax breaks. If I were a responsible operator, such as Devon, I would welcome environmental regulation, because companies like Devon would do it right anyway. Instead, by fighting regulation, they allow the irresponsible operators an advantage, and they allow the industry as a whole to take a major public relation hit.

bradh
06-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Good point soonerguru, thought about that later after that post.

RadicalModerate
06-24-2014, 09:15 PM
You really have to do something about that. Your neighbors are beginning to complain. :wink:

http://img.diynetwork.com/DIY/2011/03/31/Original_Weeds-Front-Yard_s4x3_lg.jpg

Perhaps a posted sign from OSU calling it an Environmental Experiment might trump a pissyprissy punk sign from a municipality? As long as you don't park a boat or any other RV or SUV on it?

That's an ominous sign in the lower right corner of the photo.
Looks like an oil spill of some sort invading the natural environment.

RadicalModerate
06-24-2014, 09:26 PM
My lawn turned to dust bowl dirt after 2 decades of not watering, not fertilizing, not following "proper" turf care procedures along with the last few years of drought. Since the lot is sloped, that meant erosion when it did rain. This spring we knocked down all the furrowing, reseeded, poured the water and fertilizer to it and are now backing off to get the roots to grow down. It looks great, better even than when we moved in. I'm sure we'll find a happy medium, die or move before we kill it again.

I made a slight move in the direction of free-form semi-Xeriscaping.
It only cost about a grand in materials plus a week's worth of work.
A year later, I'm still enjoying it.

Urbanized
06-24-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm a big fan of xeriscaping. If I were ever back in a house with a yard I would likely incorporate it heavily and then have just one small patch of show-stopping Bermuda.

Not sure how my employment is relevant to the discussion, but you are correct, mkjeeves.

RadicalModerate
06-24-2014, 10:15 PM
I'm a big fan of xeriscaping. If I were ever back in a house with a yard I would likely incorporate it heavily and then have just one small patch of show-stopping Bermuda.

Good concept: Minimum watering/fertilizing/weeding/mowing.
(and then "the wife" starts planting non-edible decorative plants not of the succulent variety (eg cacti), I guess to dress the landscaping up a bit. Whattayagonnado? =)

Answer: You are obliged to water them. I guess.
Which, in a way, defeats the purpose of the initial design.
In terms of water conservation. =)

Plutonic Panda
06-25-2014, 12:59 AM
Good concept: Minimum watering/fertilizing/weeding/mowing.
(and then "the wife" starts planting non-edible decorative plants not of the succulent variety (eg cacti), I guess to dress the landscaping up a bit. Whattayagonnado? =)

Answer: You are obliged to water them. I guess.
Which, in a way, defeats the purpose of the initial design.
In terms of water conservation. =)I'll post some details on Xeriscaping. I've actually read up on it a bit and convert three yards into it. One in my neighborhood and two in my grandmother's. I actually did two for free, they just bought the supplies, and the third guy literally insisted I take the money, or he said I'd be sleeping with the fishes if I didn't accept his money. So once you of fear for my life, I accepted his offer ;)

I like doing it though. I love connecting with the earth and sky as well as being around flori and succulents. Cacti is nice to, but be careful not to plant certain species that can't take the cold. Prickly Pears are great and taste good to.

I'd also recommend some native Buffalo Grass in really sunny areas. Very pleasant blowing amongst the wind and very drought tolerant.

Red Buds and Crate Myrtles are also good trees and don't forget your Blackjacks. I also believe Cottonwoods are native. Bald Cypress are great as well and can stand drought.

Just the facts
06-25-2014, 09:00 AM
If I could go back to day one in my current house knowing what I know now - I would have never had grass put in the backyard and instead I would have put in an English garden. I would much rather trim a hedge row than mow grass.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/goodhousekeeping/images/LK/ghk-backyard-oasis-English-Garden-xln.jpg

Plutonic Panda
06-25-2014, 10:19 AM
If I could go back to day one in my current house knowing what I know now - I would have never had grass put in the backyard and instead I would have put in an English garden. I would much rather trim a hedge row than mow grass.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/goodhousekeeping/images/LK/ghk-backyard-oasis-English-Garden-xln.jpghey man... It's never too late

bradh
06-25-2014, 11:22 AM
man trimming hedges is much more a pain in the rear than mowing, just this man's opinion

Just the facts
06-25-2014, 11:38 AM
man trimming hedges is much more a pain in the rear than mowing, just this man's opinion

I just bought a new hedge trimmer and now it is a piece of cake. I used to use bush clippers and it took forever. The beauty of hedge trimming is that I only need to do it about once a month, not every 5 days like mowing.

okclee
06-25-2014, 11:38 AM

You could always get a riding mower like this......

Just the facts
06-25-2014, 11:43 AM
hey man... It's never too late

I've thought about it. The hard part is getting up the grass and the brick work can get expensive. Plus, I want out of the house, not to spend more on it.

mkjeeves
06-25-2014, 11:57 AM
With a big enough place you can have it all.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/Chateau_de_Chenonceau%2Cvue_d%27avion..JPG/1280px-Chateau_de_Chenonceau%2Cvue_d%27avion..JPG

Just the facts
06-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Funny you post that picture, because that is exactly what suburbia tries to recreate on a much small scale. A man's home is his castle - and all that jazz. While that is just one house the ratio of living space to yard is still consistent with modern subdivision standards and the amount of water to keep it all green is the same - whether it is one person paying the bill or 30 neighbors paying the bill. At least the French chateau is worth looking at and attracts visitors from the around world.

http://www.heidifore.com/widgets/Moser_Farms_Subdivision_Prospect_KY_40059_aerial1. jpg

MadMonk
06-25-2014, 01:11 PM
I agree. I hate trimming hedges. I love a good patch of grass though and I really don't mind mowing all that much. Ever try to play a family badminton game on a hedge-lined patch of rock and cacti? :wink:

ljbab728
06-25-2014, 09:10 PM
I agree. I hate trimming hedges. I love a good patch of grass though and I really don't mind mowing all that much. Ever try to play a family badminton game on a hedge-lined patch of rock and cacti? :wink:

I agree. I used to have so many hedges that it would take me a good two hours to trim them. They look wonderful but the work is a pain.

RadicalModerate
06-25-2014, 09:15 PM

You think it makes badminton difficult, try croquet.
(still, it is a small price to pay to minimize the squandering of a precious resource necessary for life.)

(yet, all of those hedges encourage the production of lots of hedgehogs that make really great, organic, croquet balls.)

Edited to add: "Redneck Zen Meditation Garden on a Budget"

I even repurposed some of the cutoffs to make a piece of Yard Art:
"Jenga Gone Wild"

Grass wouldn't grow under the tree and I like the tree a lot more than I like grass.
You don't have to water or mow it. Plus it was here way before we were.
Well, at least long before the house was built and we moved into it.

That last shot makes me wonder why I can't stand Stage Center . . .
(cognitive dissonance . . . i'll get over it. =)

mkjeeves
06-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Croquet, badminton, lawn tennis, meh...my new grass is all about spendour.

I did find one of the kiddo's croquet balls in a tree surround when I cleaned up this spring. He left home for college about 8 years ago.

RadicalModerate
06-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Croquet, badminton, lawn tennis, meh...my new grass is all about spendour.

I did find one of the kiddo's croquet balls in a tree surround when I cleaned up this spring. He left home for college about 8 years ago.

Are you sure it wasn't a petrified hedgehog? =)
Put a little water on it and see what happens.

Sitting in an English garden
Waiting for the sun.
When the sun don't shine
You get a tan from
Standing in the English rain.

(On another Pleasant Valley Sunday.) =)

I call this one--another example of Redneck Steampunk--
"Protecting the Egg"

Sometimes I refer to it as "Blockhenge"

Even on the hottest summer days, the shade that the tree provides makes it feel close to perfect.
And if you put one of those little Votive Candles on top of "the egg" at night it really adds to the ambiance. =)
For Blockhenge. Not so much for Redneck Steampunk.

Please be advised: This thread is about Water Conservation.
This is simply one illustration to suggest that there are alternatives to Pet Lawns.

I'm thinking about replacing about 80% of the weedpatch out back with sand.
To imitate dunes, sorta like those found up a little Northwest of here.
Not too far from Canton Lake as the crow flies.
Dunebuggys . . . even little fake ones . . . will be forbidden.
except, of course, for the right price . . . =)

PennyQuilts
06-25-2014, 09:40 PM
I agree with the folks irritated by sprinklers going in the rain/hitting the street. Global warming debates, aside, it's just wasteful and evidences being out of step with working with the land instead of against it. Being in an area where we have wild temperature and precipitation extremes has contributed to having some rather amazing native plant life. We may not look like a picture postcard or a hallmark card, but our native plant life is just wondrous.

Since we moved out to a semi rural area, we stopped watering the lawn, years ago. Looks great. We have a seepage watering system for the flowerbeds and garden (raised bed) but don't water the lawn. I have pvc pipes pounded in next to my baby trees (caddo maples, live oak, native pecans, chaste tree and various oaks) and hand water them in times of drought. The caddos don't need/want much.

RadicalModerate
06-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Actually, Penny, doesn't it really--and actually--provide evidence of robotic adherence to directives from above to do assuredly stupid things on account of "that's the way we've always done them because we were told to so do"? Or at least provide a clue pointing in the direction of the real reason: Lazy Stupidity and Greed.....? (which, in fact, isn't reasonable at all . . ? =)

Remember: We are talking about WATER (Conservation) here.
(of course, UpNord they are worried about flooding and whatnot, so I guess Nature is All In Balance, eh? . . .
or at least Human Nature . . . =)

ps: i think that "businesses" who water the street should be "Double-Fined" as a sort of Tax on Incredible Stupidity:
(to wit)
1) Wasting Water
2) Creating a Traffic Hazard

make that "Triple-Fined":
3) Really pissing me off for their continued lack of what should be considered "Common Sense" geez. (imho)

mkjeeves
06-26-2014, 06:50 AM
Actually, Penny, doesn't it really--and actually--provide evidence of robotic adherence to directives from above to do assuredly stupid things on account of "that's the way we've always done them because we were told to so do"? Or at least provide a clue pointing in the direction of the real reason: Lazy Stupidity and Greed.....? (which, in fact, isn't reasonable at all . . ? =)

Remember: We are talking about WATER (Conservation) here.
(of course, UpNord they are worried about flooding and whatnot, so I guess Nature is All In Balance, eh? . . .
or at least Human Nature . . . =)

ps: i think that "businesses" who water the street should be "Double-Fined" as a sort of Tax on Incredible Stupidity:
(to wit)
1) Wasting Water
2) Creating a Traffic Hazard

make that "Triple-Fined":
3) Really pissing me off for their continued lack of what should be considered "Common Sense" geez. (imho)

The fines are tiered and go up each time you are cited. Meanwhile, the city is studying charging for use in a similar manner, where the more you use the more it cost per unit.

mkjeeves
06-26-2014, 06:54 AM

That's pretty Modernist, if not Brutalist. Not sure the city will approve of such a thing in our neighborhoods.

PennyQuilts
06-26-2014, 06:57 AM
We live in a area subject to drought - including a long growing season with little rain for 2-3 months, typically. We have abundant native plants that thrive in that environment. Plants that need more water, or water on a more regular basis, don't belong here, if you ask nature. We spend more water than the country's share trying to keep them pretty, alive and looking like Ohio.

mkjeeves
06-26-2014, 07:18 AM
We live in a area subject to drought - including a long growing season with little rain for 2-3 months, typically. We have abundant native plants that thrive in that environment. Plants that need more water, or water on a more regular basis, don't belong here, if you ask nature. We spend more water than the country's share trying to keep them pretty, alive and looking like Ohio.

Marsha Slaughter said in a presentation to the council last year the local per household use was less than average for the country, with not that much discretionary water use above the typical minimums needed for cooking, cleaning etc. Can we do better, sure. Some more than others.

Dennis Heaton
06-26-2014, 08:36 AM
The fines are tiered and go up each time you are cited. Meanwhile, the city is studying charging for use in a similar manner, where the more you use the more it cost per unit.

I think I just might purchase a video camera and cruise the streets trying to find these water wasters, then post it on YouTube. Look for "Conservation Crusader" on YouTube in the weeks ahead. J/K...I ain't got that kinda time. Besides, the City will get em.

RadicalModerate
06-26-2014, 08:46 AM
That's pretty Modernist, if not Brutalist. Not sure the city will approve of such a thing in our neighborhoods.

I've been waiting for one of those little Nuisance Abatement signs to appear, but it hasn't happened yet . . .
I guess The City is slackin' on their duties. =)

(btw: I think Dennis' idea of video-taping and publicizing businesses and individuals squandering water on the pavement is excellent. It could evolve into something like John TV or whatever. While he's out and about, he could turn the camera on people texting in traffic, too. (oh, wait, that sounds a little too much like something George Orwell might think of. say! maybe drones could be employed to . . . never mind.)

ylouder
06-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Always pull up with a hammer and break off top of the sprinkler heads (don't really do that) but it would make nice little water canyons shooting straight up into the air.

I say that because I accidently took one out on my riding lawnmower by having the deck set 1 setting to low.Turned it on to see how damaged it was and was greeted by a geiser.

RadicalModerate
06-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Always pull up with a hammer and break off top of the sprinkler heads (don't really do that) but it would make nice little water canyons shooting straight up into the air.

I say that because I accidently took one out on my riding lawnmower by having the deck accidently set 1 setting to low a few weeks back. Turned it on to see how damaged it was and was greeted by a geiser.

It's a good thing you moved the mower before turning on the sprinkling system.
Otherwise it might have fallen up into the water canyon.

PennyQuilts
06-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Marsha Slaughter said in a presentation to the council last year the local per household use was less than average for the country, with not that much discretionary water use above the typical minimums needed for cooking, cleaning etc. Can we do better, sure. Some more than others.

When it comes to the amount of water needed to maintain non native species, I figure if it requires more water than I could haul 100 yards in a bucket on a regular basis, I don't need that plant. Admittedly, my showers are on the indecently long side but I count that as a religious experience, by damned protected by the first amendment.

PennyQuilts
06-26-2014, 09:39 AM
The whole country treats water like it's, well, water.

Dennis Heaton
06-26-2014, 09:55 AM
RM...What a terrific idea! Forget the VC...I'm getting a Drone!! Wonder if BBatesokc ever considered doing that?

bombermwc
06-27-2014, 07:25 AM
Make a sign and put it in their yard. Then all the neighbors would know they're a water waster.