View Full Version : Worst Restaurant Service in OKC?

soonerguru
06-21-2014, 11:05 PM
My vote goes to Upper Crust Pizza.

The food is very good, but the service is absolutely terrible. Slow, disinterested. The management staff is unresponsive.

soonerguru
06-21-2014, 11:06 PM

The food is very good, but the service is absolutely terrible. Slow, disinterested. The management staff is phony and unresponsive.

Chadanth
06-21-2014, 11:22 PM

The food is very good, but the service is absolutely terrible. Slow, disinterested. The management staff is unresponsive.

Flint. Same reasons.

Bigrayok
06-22-2014, 12:19 AM
I like Beverly's, but they seem to always be short a waitperson in the evenings and it takes forever to get my food. I get frustrated every time I go to Gabriella's because they make customers wait even though they have open tables. I do not buy into the "We do not have enough waits staff" excuse restaurants use to make customers wait even though they have empty tables. Some restaurants use this as a ploy to get people to wait in the bar and buy drinks. Cracker Barrel seems to have high turnover of wait staff and they are slow. I do not eat French fries often and it drives me nuts when I specify I want the sandwich only and they still give me fries and try to charge me for them. This happens at Whataburger a lot.

Bigray in Ok

calitook
06-22-2014, 06:09 AM
As soon as I saw this title, I thought "Upper Crust", specifically the NW OKC/Edmond location. The first time we went, right after they opened, was fantastic. That is probably why we gave them some more chances. The problems started with ordering one of the "bottle and a pie" or "pitcher and a pie" specials and having to remind them to give us the special price, more than once.

The last time we went, the server was flat out rude. My husband and I are the most laid-back customers, not the type that are obnoxious and demanding. The guy was slamming dishes on the table, really
brusque and walked away while I was in the middle of a sentence. I don't think we've ever, ever complained about a server before but we did this time.

It's a shame, because they are close to home, and we were excited to have a decent place with a patio to bring our dog that doesn't require a haul down into the city, but they are never getting another single red cent of my money.

The food is very good, but the service is absolutely terrible. Slow, disinterested. The management staff is phony and unresponsive.

BBatesokc
06-22-2014, 07:00 AM
I've had the same experience at Upper Crust almost every time I've been - some experiences worse than others. Pizza was always good, but the service is usually sub-par to terrible. With so many excellent pizza choices in town, they need to realize that what they are really peddling is customer service, and if they don't get it right, their patrons will get it somewhere else.

Dennis Heaton
06-22-2014, 08:08 AM

When I first saw this Thread, I said to myself, "Must be another complaint about "Dave and Buster's" (D&B's).

RadicalModerate
06-22-2014, 09:02 AM
1) The Burger King that used to be at Penn and Hefner.
2) The Popeye's Chicken that still exists, somehow, on up the street.
3) (yet seriously, folks) The Iquana Grill on our last visit. It really was THE WORST service at a restaurant that I've encountered for a long, long time. The food was excellent but the service was pathetic. Allegedly, it had something to do with the excusification or clarification that some key "staffperson" "walked out" and everyone was trying to fill the gap left by that person's rash decision. It would have been a complete disaster had not the bartender--who didn't know what a "G and T" (or G&T) was--not gone above and beyond his job description to make the experience only a partial disaster.

Dennis Heaton
06-22-2014, 09:14 AM
RM..."A&T," if you please, Sir.

PennyQuilts
06-22-2014, 09:47 AM
3) (yet seriously, folks) The Iquana Grill on our last visit. It really was THE WORST service at a restaurant that I've encountered for a long, long time. The food was excellent but the service was pathetic. Allegedly, it had something to do with the excusification or clarification that some key "staffperson" "walked out" and everyone was trying to fill the gap left by that person's rash decision. It would have been a complete disaster had not the bartender--who didn't know what a "G and T" (or G&T) was--not gone above and beyond his job description to make the experience only a partial disaster.
Omg, the first thing that crossed my mind was the Iguana Grill! Perhaps we were there the same night you were (on our way to see Sister Act) but they gave us the same explanation for the bad service!

BoulderSooner
06-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Never have had a bad experience at upper crust

soonermike81
06-22-2014, 10:19 AM
The funny thing for me is that I couldn't think of place that has given me really terrible service outside of Othello's in Norman (don't think they're still around). But I do recall a a couple of less than stellar experiences at both Upper Crust and Iguana. Had a recent trip to Upper Crust at Classen Curve and the food was really good, but our server and trainee were morons. They both kept forgetting about stuff, and the server would just blame it on the trainee. Even if the trainee screwed up, isn't it your job to train him?! As far as Iguana goes, I went quite a while back when it was really busy. Think it was Taco Tuesday. We were in a pretty big party, and the server screwed up everyone's orders even after it took forever for the food to come out. We were starving, so we just sucked it up and ate what was brought to us. Thought the food was average as well.

Roger S
06-23-2014, 07:09 AM
Pizza 23

warreng88
06-23-2014, 08:00 AM
Never have had a bad experience at upper crust

Me either and we go there at least once a month and have done so since it opened. I don't think we have ever gotten the same server so it's not like they know we are good tippers (minimum 20%, usually more like 25% or 30%) and know to be nice to us. Interesting.

HangryHippo
06-23-2014, 08:48 AM
I've ranted elsewhere about how poor my visits to Flint have been. Just absolutely awful. But then, OK BBQ Eater Anonymous jogged my memory...

Pizza 23 is the absolute worst experience I have ever had at a restaurant in this town. Went twice and have decided to never return. If I'm with friends or family that suggest it, I veto it every time. Just the absolute worst service.

Rover
06-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Never had a bad Upper Crust experience either...but I only go to the one in The Curve.

Flint has been really hit and miss. I've quit going because of it.

Chadanth
06-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Never had a bad Upper Crust experience either...but I only go to the one in The Curve.

I'm surprised by the bad experiences at UC also, but like you, only go to the curve. I still go to Flint occasionally, if only because the service is so awful that I only have to pay about half the time.

warreng88
06-23-2014, 01:04 PM

I went to the one in Edmond once a long time ago and I don't remember what the service was like so it was not bad or good. Like you, I always go to the one at CC.

Mel
06-23-2014, 01:07 PM
I give most places 2 chances. I also know even the best place can have a bad night. If the bad service is due to the servers just not wanting to do their job I don't tip and leave a little note on the tip line that thy might want to find a job that fits their abilities.

gopokes88
06-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Deep Deuce Grill is atrocious. Always slow, never knowledgeable, never helpful.

Last time I was at the patio bar and asked the bartender which Prairie was on tap?
Her answer,
"I don't know, I'm not really a beer person."
My jaw about hit the floor and I responded, "but you are a bartender, yes?"
"Yes"
"and you don't think knowing what's on tap at your station, not even the whole restaurant just your bar, is your job and useful information for a customer?"
"Well like I said I don't really drink beer so I don't really need to know it."

That just screams poor training and a lack of standards. I think they've long benefited from a great location so they slack on service.

Bullbear
06-23-2014, 02:25 PM

Iguana use to be one of my favorite places and we went there almost weekly or more. However a little over a month ago they fired the GM and most of the staff. ever since it has went straight into the crapper. I wont be back.

Questor
06-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Deep Deuce Grill is atrocious. Always slow, never knowledgeable, never helpful.

Last time I was at the patio bar and asked the bartender which Prairie was on tap?
Her answer,
"I don't know, I'm not really a beer person."
My jaw about hit the floor and I responded, "but you are a bartender, yes?"
"Yes"
"and you don't think knowing what's on tap at your station, not even the whole restaurant just your bar, is your job and useful information for a customer?"
"Well like I said I don't really drink beer so I don't really need to know it."

Aaaaaannd that's when she secretly decided to spit in your next drink.

OKCretro
06-23-2014, 10:35 PM

We must have different views as to what a "restaurant" is. I would never consider Popeyes or Burger King a "restaurant " per se.

I haven't had any abnormal bad service that I can think of recently. My expectations are very low so I usually can't get disappointed

gopokes88
06-23-2014, 11:23 PM
Aaaaaannd that's when she secretly decided to spit in your next drink.

Except for she poured it right in front of me

soonerguru
06-23-2014, 11:29 PM
To reiterate, the food at Upper Crust was very good, so we will be back. We've only been twice. We went about a month after they opened (Curve location), and were so put off we didn't return for two years. We went again last week, and the food was very good, but the service was ridiculously bad. I realized that if we were there to get drunk first, we may not have noticed how bad the service was. But we were there to eat, and it took forever to get our food. The staff had an agenda to push their specials on us, when we were decided what we wanted. We waited at least 10 minutes to get water served. The salads took another half an hour. Trying to flag down the waitress to pay was a sisyphean ordeal. I could go on.

I really, really hate Hal Smith Restaurant Group's fake service. They really don't give a $hit about you, but they pretend they do as they fail to serve you. It is truly weird.

Again, the food is good, though, so we'll try again. I'll just probably turn into a demanding a-hole to ensure we get what we want.

soonerguru
06-24-2014, 12:41 AM
Moderators: Where is this thread?

Bullbear
06-24-2014, 08:00 AM
I was wondering as well.

SSEiYah
06-26-2014, 10:31 PM
Pizza 23, Pearls Oyster Bar, Boulevard, and Tommys all had terrible service this year. Tommys is new, so probably working out the Kinks but there is no excuse for the others. 1492 in Midtown was especially poor as well now that I think about it, at least if you sit on the patio like we did. It took them 15 minutes just to get us our water. There are probably others but the ones I listed were memorable as bad.

As far as the BEST, it seems like my girlfriend likes to compare every place we go to Cheevers as they seem to be the "best" in her opinion and I'd probably agree with her on that. Ranch also have always had great service every time we go there. The EHSRG chains of restaurants all seem to have better service than the norm as well.

NWOKCGuy
06-27-2014, 11:28 AM
LOL @ people talking about fast food and diners.... what do you expect to get there?

For me, Packard's has had terrible service every time I've gone there. I keep going back for the food though. Also, Saint's is the worst service for bars - but I think they don't really care because their target market of hipsters don't seem to care about quality of service.

FighttheGoodFight
06-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Sometimes I feel like I am lucky. I don't think I have ever had a memorable bad service. Many of the places everyone talks about on here I never have a problem with.

Pizza 23, Upper Crust, Tommys, Packards and Pearls. I mean Upper Crust is always very busy but my pizza is fresh and my beer is never empty. Pizza 23 had one night where they had only two waiters but we still got our order in and our drinks in a timely manner.

adaniel
06-27-2014, 12:54 PM
People will probably strongly disagree with me....but I gave Empire Slice way too many chances. The last time I was there I ordered a pizza to go, only find out when I picked it up they gave it to someone else by accident. I then waited an hour for them to make a new one, then waited another 20 minutes to pay for it, while being passively ignored several times. Only time in my life I've yelled at a server.

Roger S
06-27-2014, 12:54 PM
..... Pizza 23 had one night where they had only two waiters but we still got our order in and our drinks in a timely manner.

The afternoon we were at Pizza 23 there were 3 waiters and 3 customers, and all 3 of us customers were at one table. Our pizza came out slow with no explanation and we had to ask for refills twice..... I had to ask my wife if we were invisible.

catch22
06-27-2014, 12:59 PM
I really like Pizza23. I do agree their service can be shoddy sometimes, but 99% of the time I am happy when I leave.

To the poster mentioning Saints, I have never had an issue getting a drink from their bar or service at a table. Even if it's busy.

FighttheGoodFight
06-27-2014, 01:33 PM
The afternoon we were at Pizza 23 there were 3 waiters and 3 customers, and all 3 of us customers were at one table. Our pizza came out slow with no explanation and we had to ask for refills twice..... I had to ask my wife if we were invisible.

I guess I am lucky. We have been there about five times and usually on the weekends.

Sometimes I expect bad service at places as my wife and I are a young couple. Sometimes I think waiters don't think we will tip as high as older couples. I have had this problem in other cities but OKC seems to be just fine.

Roger S
06-27-2014, 01:38 PM
I guess I am lucky. We have been there about five times and usually on the weekends.

Sometimes I expect bad service at places as my wife and I are a young couple. Sometimes I think waiters don't think we will tip as high as older couples. I have had this problem in other cities but OKC seems to be just fine.

Well that explains it... It's not luck that you haven't had bad service.. It's lack of time in the field. By the time you reach my age you will have received some bad service... Hopefully not as bad as we experienced at Pizza 23 though. :wink:

NWOKCGuy
06-28-2014, 07:58 PM
People will probably strongly disagree with me....but I gave Empire Slice way too many chances. The last time I was there I ordered a pizza to go, only find out when I picked it up they gave it to someone else by accident. I then waited an hour for them to make a new one, then waited another 20 minutes to pay for it, while being passively ignored several times. Only time in my life I've yelled at a server.

I've had mixed service at Empire. Sometimes it's great other times it's terrible. One time a friend and I got sat down and then were ignored for I'm not kidding 15 minutes. It wasn't until we got up to leave that anyone in that restaurant noticed us.

rte66man
06-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Olive Garden on Memorial. Been there twice, will never go back. Service was abysmal. Both times we had to ask for them to bring us salad and bread. They finally brought it about 2 minutes before the entrees were served.

McAllisters on Memorial was terrible as well. Ordered a taco salad. When they finally brought it, it only had lettuce and salsa. They had left off most of the main ingredients. It was very obvious it was wrong. When I sent it back, they "forgot" to bring me a replacement until I complained TWICE to the manager.

CuatrodeMayo
06-30-2014, 10:30 AM
My wife and I went to Laredo's/Milagro's shortly after it re-opened at is current location in Belle Isle and had one of the best okie-mex meals I can remember. The food was fantastic and the service was top-notch.

A couple of months later my in-laws were in town and we wanted to take them to this great, new place in OKC we had discovered. The different was night and day. The food was marginal at best and the service was the worst that I can remember. I was beyond embarrassed and vowed never to return.

TheTravellers
07-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Almost any place we go anymore, we don't know what to expect.

Went to Pearl's recently with my wife's mom (from out of town, she hadn't eaten much Cajun, so we thought Pearl's would be perfect). Got the drink menu, it said "ask server for what's on tap", so I asked, she started looking at the drink menu telling me where the beer list was on it. Really? So I enlightened her, she said it was her first day (manager later said it wasn't), went off to ask the bartender. Lettuce in the salads was brown, so that's when I talked to the mgr, and she said she'd take care of the stuff I brought up. Still, there's a major lack of training when a server doesn't know what beer is on tap or what the procedure is. Seriously, just carry a list around with you, pull it out, read it off.

Went to Iron Starr this weekend and have always had pretty decent service there, it just sucked this time. Sat down by the host, waited and waited and waited (easily 5 minutes and in a place that small, there's no excuse for waiting 5 minutes for initial contact), then the host came over and asked what we wanted to drink, I asked him what was on tap, he didn't know (gosh, I'm shocked), said he was helping our server out, he'd have to get her over to our table. She came, listed them off (yay), I ordered one, waited and waited and waited (another 5 minutes, and they weren't that busy, maybe 6 tables total), then someone else (hostess, bartender, mgr, not sure, but not a server) apparently saw my empty napkin waiting for a beer, asked what I had ordered, told her, she was back within 30 seconds with my beer. Quail breast came, we ate it, entrees came, beer took an effort to get refilled, server never came and asked how things were, came back towards the end, tried to take a plate away with food still on it without asking, just an all-around bad serving experience. Gave her less than my usual 20-ish% and wrote down why.

Just seems like that happens more and more often almost any place we go. I remember when we used to go to *$ and the cashier/barista *always* knew what button to punch on the register, what to write down, the lingo, etc., and now some are barely better than the button-punching automatons at McD's. Entropy, I guess....

Have to give props to the server we had at S&B's (far north location) recently, though, she knew her sh*t, had recommendations, took care of us, very nice, earned her 20% tip. Prairie Bomb on tap in a Prairie Ale snifter is great, but it's even better when it's in a Left Hand snifter (which is bigger).

Going to do Ludivine or Packard's for the wife's birthday, at least Ludivine service and food is pretty much always spot-on, not sure which one she's going to want to go to, though, since we've never been to Packard's.

ljbab728
07-10-2014, 09:30 PM
I think it has been mentioned in another thread previously, but some of the current problems with service has to do with the recent proliferation of new restaurants and the lack of available good servers for all of them. People are probably being hired that aren't really good fits. Surprisingly I just had some of the best service I've had in quite a while at the Dennys on S. Meridian. They offer a free "grand slam" on your birthday and, unfortunately, I just had another one of those. My server had obviously been at it for a while and was on top of everything. Even though the meal was free I left a nice tip.

soonerguru
07-10-2014, 09:48 PM
My wife and I went to Laredo's/Milagro's shortly after it re-opened at is current location in Belle Isle and had one of the best okie-mex meals I can remember. The food was fantastic and the service was top-notch.

A couple of months later my in-laws were in town and we wanted to take them to this great, new place in OKC we had discovered. The different was night and day. The food was marginal at best and the service was the worst that I can remember. I was beyond embarrassed and vowed never to return.

This is a mirror of my existence. Reading your posts makes me feel sane. Thanks.

We also thought Milagro's was very good right out of the gate. Somewhere along the way, the service -- and the food -- went way down. It's now completely out of the rotation.

One other thing that has always bothered me: they never bothered to finish the fountain in the front. It's just this incomplete mess. They don't care, so why should I?

Mel
07-10-2014, 10:22 PM

TheTravellers
07-11-2014, 10:25 AM
This is a mirror of my existence. Reading your posts makes me feel sane. Thanks.

We also thought Milagro's was very good right out of the gate. Somewhere along the way, the service -- and the food -- went way down. It's now completely out of the rotation.

One other thing that has always bothered me: they never bothered to finish the fountain in the front. It's just this incomplete mess. They don't care, so why should I?

I'm so glad y'all mentioned this, my mom told me they were really good, but she hadn't eaten there in a while, we were planning on trying it eventually, but not now. :-(

TheTravellers
08-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Everybody should read this - servers, chefs, managers, customers, everybody. Not that hard to do these things, and if even only half of them are done right, it's more than a lot of servers are doing...

Things Restaurant Servers Do Wrong - Service Industry Tips (http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/things-restaurant-servers-do-wrong-service-industry-tips)

turnpup
08-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Very interesting.

I always cringe when the servers at various places take the orders without writing it down.

Richard at Remax
08-28-2014, 03:25 PM
I've had plenty of experiences listed above. Some of them are done just out of laziness.

From having a few server friends, I think the thing they need to cut out on is complaining about tips, esp on social media. Even though they openly admit that ~7/10 tables tip really well, they really harp on those 2 or 3 tables that leave a bad tip (and to them a bad tip is below 20%). Get real. Regardless of service its usually 15-20% for me. I find that to be very fair.

First of all, being a server isn't going to make you a millionaire. Second of all, its designed as an entry level job, its supposed to kinda suck. And finally, there are crappy people out there who are bad tippers. Nothing you can do about it.

I don't know if it's in this thread or not but someone posted a really good article about servers going to salary. It was very informative and convincing it should be that way.

Clown puncher
08-28-2014, 03:46 PM
My new worst service award, would go to La Luna in Newcastle. The worst by far of any other place I've been.