View Full Version : Tinker AFB Air Show, June 21-22

Dennis Heaton
06-21-2014, 04:29 AM
What a fantastic way to say good-bye to Spring and hello to the first day of Summer!!

http://www.tinker.af.mil/airshow/

http://www.nellis.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123373842

Dennis Heaton
06-21-2014, 04:57 AM
Don't forget to show YOUR support this weekend...

OKC Pride Presents: Pride 2014 Arts Festival I (http://okcpride.org/2014/event/okc-pride-presents-pride-2014-arts-festival-i/)

ylouder
06-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Just got back, we went from 11- 12 30ish. It was a great time but everyone was ready to come home for naps.

I think at this point i still enjoy it more than my kids do, kinda sad im going to miss the thunder birds.

bradh
06-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Not to rub it in ylouder, but the Thunderbirds were awesome.

Tigerguy
06-21-2014, 08:16 PM
I think at this point i still enjoy it more than my kids do, kinda sad im going to miss the thunder birds.

There's always Sunday...

Not to rub it in ylouder, but the Thunderbirds were awesome.

Agree. I think they were trying to blow everybody's ears out on purpose, but it was worth it. I got there just after 10 and was one of the last stragglers to leave. Needless to say, it was a good time.

ylouder
06-22-2014, 04:50 AM
Are the thunder birds starting at 3pm today? If so I'm making a trip back.

Dennis Heaton
06-22-2014, 06:20 AM
ylouder...I couldn't find a "Schedule." I didn't check the local paper or tv stations.

Maybe one of these offices on Tinker can tell you? Have fun!

72 ABW Public Affairs 739-2026
Security Forces 734-3737
Gates 734-3737
Billeting 734-5095

bradh
06-22-2014, 07:14 AM
I would bet they start at the same time, so 245 or 300 would be a good bet

Wambo36
06-22-2014, 05:15 PM
They started at around 3 and it was a very good show. They were able to perform a few more stunts than Saturday due to a clearer sky.

bombermwc
06-23-2014, 07:18 AM
I need to vent a bit on this. So I took my twin 4 year old boys to the air show all excited. We walk the nice long length of 3001 and see the entrance line. First I think, WTF a line like this and you only have 1 gate? But actually they moved through it fairly quickly for the length it was (I swear it was a 1/2 mile line when I went through). The real pisser was they didn't let me in because I had a backpack. Even though I passed another security checkpoint earlier...back in the 3001 parking lot), and countless airmen along the way that COULD have said something. So after an hour of terribly exciting walking and standing in line, my boys and I got to go home.

On my way out, I notice a stream of other dads with their kids....all with a backpack. Well no SH&T Tinker, of course dads with kids are going to have a backpack. How do you think we carry our crap around? If it's safe enough to take on an airplane, I think we're good. You know what you're gonna find in there? Sheerios, animal themed water bottles, and some spare super hero undies. Way to ruin the kid's excitement. And no, Mr airman at the gate, it's not as simple as just going back and putting it in my car. <-It's not his fault, but he could have helped by getting his superior to come over and either take a look or offer a compromise like leaving in a designated area or a pass so when we walked back, we could skip the line. For 4 year olds, the walk is extremely long, then there's naptime, lunchtime, other planned activities. It's never as simple as just one thing with kids.

Oh I was sooooo pissed. While I was spewing a stream of obscenities to myself on the way back to my car, loe and behold, the other turned-back-dads were doing the same thing. At least we all made sure we told everyone on the way back to our cars. Too bad no one did that for us. Next time, i'll shove it all in a tote bag...cause apparently some how it's more secure when there isn't a zipper involved.

Just the facts
06-23-2014, 08:12 AM
The terrorist have already won. We have 100% lost all common sense in the name of safety - be it backpacks at an airshow or building setbacks at the police headquarters.

I share your frustration bombermwc. While going to an airshow here in Jax I had my folding chair in the handy carry pouch with strap. When I got to the security gate I was told the carry bag wasn't allowed. So right in front of the officer I took the chair out of the bag, folded the bag up, stuck in my cargo pocket - and then walked right in. I guess they thought I could conceal some kind of anti-aircraft weapon in the bag and then try to shoot down a plane while standing right in the middle of the crowd. If I was going to do that I would have done it from the parking lot right next to my get-a-way car.

ylouder
06-23-2014, 08:38 AM
I have two little kids and we always watch from the back of my truck right off the north end of the runway outside the base.

In the past my wife almost got mad at me for suggesting that we do such a thing (gasp) until she read the restrictions of what you could bring with you. It's almost impossible with little kids to not have some sort of bag with crackers, food, drinks, diapers, wipes, etc. Plus factor in the walking or riding the un air conditioned bus, waiting in lines and also how freaking hot it is standing over a hot runway in the middle of the day...

We are able to drive up in the field, park, have a blanket in the back, small cooler of juice and sandwiches, and all the other needed crap...and as soon as someone starts to throw a fit load back into the truck, crank the ac and drive home.

All of this sounds real classy I know but obviously it works or that entire field by the shopping center wouldnt be filled with families doing the same thing.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Yup. No walking (I'm not a very good walker) for us either. I took my 3 year old and parked in the field north of the base. We sat in the back of the truck with all the drinks, snacks, and giant camera lenses we wanted. We also had AC and a nap space 3' away :D

Dennis Heaton
06-23-2014, 09:57 AM
bombermwc...Sorry to hear about your experience at Tinker this weekend. My oldest son was 4 or 5 when he sat in his very first F-16 at Shaw AFB, SC. Wonder if parents with "Strollers" and "Diaper Bags" were allowed on base for this Air Show? Might wanna call the Wing Commander's Hotline.

Tigerguy
06-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Wonder if parents with "Strollers" and "Diaper Bags" were allowed on base for this Air Show? Might wanna call the Wing Commander's Hotline.

Strollers were on the "what to bring" list, and I know I saw many a stroller. Couldn't tell ya about diaper bags, but backpacks and rucksacks were on the "no-no" list. I wonder what would have been so difficult about, say, opening the backpacks and looking inside?

Dennis Heaton
06-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Next year they are gonna have everyone walk through a C-5 Galaxy, and inside will be several screening machines that folks can pass their backpacks and rucksacks through. Problem solved! I wish. Oh well, life goes on.

Wambo36
06-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Yeah, taking younger kids and the necessary accessories is something the airshow should have planned for. My youngest is 15 but I remember the drill. We watched from the field north of 29th Saturday and opted to go on base Sunday. Plenty of strollers and fold out chairs.

bombermwc
06-24-2014, 07:57 AM
bombermwc...Sorry to hear about your experience at Tinker this weekend. My oldest son was 4 or 5 when he sat in his very first F-16 at Shaw AFB, SC. Wonder if parents with "Strollers" and "Diaper Bags" were allowed on base for this Air Show? Might wanna call the Wing Commander's Hotline.

I've been trying to hunt down a place to send an email/snail mail to so I can put it all in writing rather than do it verbally. I can collect my thoughts without getting all steamed up again that way :P

Dennis Heaton
06-24-2014, 08:23 AM
I've been trying to hunt down a place to send an email/snail mail to so I can put it all in writing rather than do it verbally. I can collect my thoughts without getting all steamed up again that way :P

Here ya go... http://www.tinker.af.mil/main/contactus.asp

bombermwc
06-25-2014, 07:36 AM
Thanks, message sent. I'm sure it wont do a bit of good and they'll probably send back some bull about security or whatever, but at least I feel better for voicing the frustration. :)

Dennis Heaton
06-25-2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks, message sent. I'm sure it wont do a bit of good and they'll probably send back some bull about security or whatever, but at least I feel better for voicing the frustration. :)

It did "some" good...you feel better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfVU_t940dw