View Full Version : Most Memorable...

Karried
08-18-2005, 07:25 PM
What was your most memorable vacation? The best ever? Even the worst ever?

I'll start.. I love to travel. I have been to many really nice travel destinations and I feel very fortunate. But, the reason I start this way is because my most wonderful memorable vacation to date was really a glorified camping trip!

I jokingly say that but it truly was 'roughing' it. We flew into Canada and took a seven day Kayak trip along the Canadian coast and through the Inside Passage... ohhh, it was so gorgeous!

We met some of the most wonderful people (even a foreign diplomat/president who was on vacation with his mistress and had to airlifted out by a personal helicopter because of an emergency in his country - it was so secretive, we didn't even know his name!) But other than that, we met about 10 other normal people plus our guides and and we all kayaked all day long and set up camp every few days along the coast.

We had underwater microphones and we could hear Orcas all the time. We saw them frequently which was so fabulous to me because it is my favorite animal. They swam and surfaced near us and it was breathtaking. The weather was awesome, we hiked and took pictures, had campfires and played games. The guides were actually gourmet chefs and we ate fresh salmon, shrimp, fish and every delectable menu item you could imagine and it was so unbelievable because we were supposed to be 'camping'. We had campfires every night and would sit up talking and watching the stars. One night, I fell asleep - kayaking is strenuous! But a few people were awake and went swimming and got to see the 'glowing - looks like liquid silver' in the water, it is supposed to be amazing, I missed it but heard it was great.

We saw incredible sights, slugs in the 'rainforest', bears, eagles, ferns and foliage, totem poles and wonderful misty shorelines and scenery.

We also felt so close to these people, we stayed in touch for a few years but lost touch - life happens. But, I know they must think of it still though, we got them to do things they had never done ( skinny dipping in freezing water! - all in good fun ) and we all made so many awesome memories. You just never know what can happen when all the pretense is stripped away, no make-up, no showers ( ice cold water!), no clothes, lol, but seriously, I wish this sort of experience for everyone once in a lifetime, a magical, unforgettable vacation that makes you cry when you say goodbye.

MadMonk
08-19-2005, 07:47 AM
I was married in Hawaii, on Kauai. We spent ten day there and on Oahu seeing the sights and just lounging around. It was the best vacation I've ever been on.

karlanee
08-19-2005, 08:04 AM
We took a cruise for an anniversary trip a couple of years ago. Even though the cruise itself was just okay - our destination - Cozumel, Mexico - has become a new favorite spot and we've since gone back with our girls and plan to go again as often as we can.
Our second cruise, was even worse than the first - but Cozumel was still wonderful, as usual.

mranderson
08-19-2005, 11:14 AM
The answer should be when we went to Europe when I was 14. However, I barely remember a lot of it.

The most memorable is really when I went to California in 2000. A friend of mine is an actress. She knew how much I wanted to do some acting when parts came up, so she gave me the ultimate Christmas gift.

I was in the Los Angeles area and she met me at the Motel and drove me by lemo to the CBS studios in Studio City. It was there, she led me to the cast enterence to the television series "Normal, Ohio," which starred John Goodman and Jolie Fisher. I was then informed I had been selected to do a guest part (voice over) on the show, and was given a check for $1,000 after the taping, and invited to the wrap party. The money was just above scale, and was meant to be my union dues and administrative costs to join the Academy of performing arts and sciences, making me a union actor.

Unfortunatly, soon after taping we learned the series was cancelled and the episode was never aired... However, what a trip... And Jolie? I could get banned for life if I said what I am thinking right now about how she looked.

:rawr:

karlanee
08-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Now how could I have forgotten about Europe? Goodness.

I went to France when I was in high school as part of a French Class trip. Our teacher was a French native and took a group over the summer. My parents graciously allowed me to go.

I will never forget how spectacular it was. Not only was it the first time I'd been out of the country, it was my first plane ride too!

I have the vision of Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower burned in my memory forever.
I look forward to going there again someday.

PUGalicious
08-19-2005, 12:10 PM
what's a "lemo"?