View Full Version : Gazette "Best of" Contest

Stan Silliman
06-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Annual contest is on line. When you go through the list, please put Stan Silliman for "Best Local Living Author" and, yes, contrary to rumors, I'm still living.

Oklahoma-Gazettes-Best-of-OKC-2014 (http://okgazette.secondstreetapp.com/l/Oklahoma-Gazettes-Best-of-OKC-2014)

kelroy55
06-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Haven't you learned you're supposed to buy votes. :)

Roger S
06-20-2014, 12:37 PM
I will divulge all the best places to eat BBQ to anyone that puts me down as best local author...... dead or alive. :cool:

Dennis Heaton
06-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Annual contest is on line. When you go through the list, please put Stan Silliman for "Best Local Living Author" and, yes, contrary to rumors, I'm still living.

Oklahoma-Gazettes-Best-of-OKC-2014 (http://okgazette.secondstreetapp.com/l/Oklahoma-Gazettes-Best-of-OKC-2014)

Gotta see the "cash" first!

RadicalModerate
06-20-2014, 12:48 PM
It reminds me a bit of the OETA ballot. It means nothing.
Perhaps it's feeble attempt at some sort of lottery?
Yet . . . They are seldom wrong and have the Crossword Puzzle. =)
I sure wish that I'd've known that the Choctaw Bingo Son o' McMurtry Dude was gonna be at the Blue Door last Wednesday.
I wouldn't have missed it.
But that ain't The Blue Door's fault . . . The presses wuz a-runnin' slo' that day. =)

Best Local Tree-Reporposing Journalistic Effort: The Oklahoma Gazette.
(it's "free" . . . but don't steal none of 'em . . . =)

Best Venue For Grown Up Mensware Buying?
How about:
Best Way to Dis a Local "Musical" Celebrity?
(okc talk =)
:

Best Disconnect Between Economic Development and Reality of Infrastructure: Memorial/Western/Penn/Tollroad

Dennis Heaton
06-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Vote "Dennis Heaton" for best Chef! If y'all only knew. :)

RadicalModerate
06-20-2014, 01:52 PM
So are you cooking Designer Pasta (from the Farmer's Market) accompanied by some Gulfport Frozen Scallops, thawed?
And a salad from the garden? Like at . . . . . . . some place in The Best of The Gazette? =)

Me too!

btw:
here's an award category, music:
Best Non-Announcement of a Personal Appearance at a Local Venue on Paper that didn't hit the newsstands until too late:
Oklahoma Gazette, James McMurtrey, Blue Door
AWEJPqJtZsk

Dennis Heaton
06-20-2014, 02:12 PM
RM...my "seafood" creations (mostly abalone, conch, and scallops) are harvested by my very own Assistant on a daily basis...

Roger S
06-20-2014, 02:14 PM
I will cook pig candy for anyone that votes me for Best Blog To Read At Work While You Should Be Working.

Achilleslastand
06-20-2014, 02:20 PM
****Yawn*****

Lemme guess....
Earls will win best BBQ
Hideaway will win best Pizza
Teds will win best Mexican food
And the Flaming Lips best local band.

Dennis Heaton
06-20-2014, 02:33 PM
I will cook pig candy for anyone that votes me for Best Blog To Read At Work While You Should Be Working.

I looooooove "pig candy!" But, I already voted, sorry.

Roger S
06-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Lemme guess....
Earls will win best BBQ

Back Door may give Earl's a run... They aren't the best BBQ in OKC but they are the best at social media in OKC.

OKCretro
06-20-2014, 04:47 PM
****Yawn*****

Lemme guess....
Earls will win best BBQ

And it just so happens that they all advertise greatly in the gazette !!!!

zookeeper
06-20-2014, 06:16 PM
As to the best authors in Oklahoma City - has Kent Anderson moved? His last two books were very good. His 'Department Thirty' series titles under the pseudonym "David Kent" were all excellent as well. One of his books won the Oklahoma Book Award for Fiction and another was a finalist. No offense, Stan, I love your stuff, but I have to go with Kent, who is no longer writing fiction but is working on a new book project.

boscorama
06-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Having not lived in the city for nearly two decades, it's real hard for me to vote in 17 categories. I'm trying. When the final ballot comes out, it gets easier.

Stan Silliman
06-21-2014, 09:10 AM
As to the best authors in Oklahoma City - has Kent Anderson moved? His last two books were very good. His 'Department Thirty' series titles under the pseudonym "David Kent" were all excellent as well. One of his books won the Oklahoma Book Award for Fiction and another was a finalist. No offense, Stan, I love your stuff, but I have to go with Kent, who is no longer writing fiction but is working on a new book project.

I did have a book voted "Best Book of Poetry" in 2002 by the Oklahoma Writer's Federation. It's "The News in Double Dactyls" loaded with wonderful Zyk cartoons. There are many great authors in Oklahoma City. Vote for your favorite. I only mentioned me because I happen to be one I know.

KnobbyKnees
06-21-2014, 09:21 AM
I did have a book voted "Best Book of Poetry" in 2002 by the Oklahoma Writer's Federation. It's "The News in Double Dactyls" loaded with wonderful Zyk cartoons. There are many great authors in Oklahoma City. Vote for your favorite. I only mentioned me because I happen to be one I know.

Ain't a thing wrong with a lil self-promotion. Folks do it all the time. I mean, look at the Obama family...they've got the market cornered on self-promoting. Seriously, I was not aware that you are a published author. I'll be googlin (not to be confused with "noodlin").

TheTravellers
06-23-2014, 11:30 AM
****Yawn*****

Lemme guess....
Earls will win best BBQ

I've long said it's a popularity contest, nothing to do with the actual, real "Best of"... Actually was pleasantly surprised one year when Iguana beat Ted's, though!