View Full Version : Homeland Grocery Stores

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14

Bowser214
07-19-2022, 11:48 AM
Awesome! Not the best selection but an easy in and out when you want to grab a few things.

OKCbyTRANSFER
07-19-2022, 12:14 PM
Great news. I'm glad they are continuing to keep this location moving forward and the community support continues as well.

Dr Beard Face
07-19-2022, 01:29 PM
Seems like a lot of work for one more aisle. I use this Homeland as my main grocery store, and it definitely could use more room, so anything is welcome!

OKCbyTRANSFER
07-19-2022, 02:30 PM
Seems like a lot of work for one more aisle. I use this Homeland as my main grocery store, and it definitely could use more room, so anything is welcome!

I agree, seems they could go a little further since they can use any extra space available. May squeeze 2 new aisles LoL

TheTravellers
07-19-2022, 02:44 PM
I agree, seems they could go a little further since they can use any extra space available. May squeeze 2 new aisles LoL

Hope not, their aisles are already not-very-wide (but they have very few bump-out displays, so that helps).

shawnw
07-19-2022, 04:45 PM
If they're getting rid of that side lot they should go ahead and expand all the way to the sidewalk, so they don't have to do it later...

Bill Robertson
07-19-2022, 06:13 PM
If they're getting rid of that side lot they should go ahead and expand all the way to the sidewalk, so they don't have to do it later...There's probably some city ordinance about how closed the the sidewalk/street they can build. Maybe not but I would bet there is.

Bowser214
07-19-2022, 06:46 PM
With additional residential properties being built just off Classen that location is going to get busier.

shawnw
07-19-2022, 06:51 PM
There's probably some city ordinance about how closed the the sidewalk/street they can build. Maybe not but I would bet there is.

Well, I really meant to build out as far as they can, I get that they might not actually be able to go to the sidewalk, but surely what they're doing is not as far as they can go....

Pete
07-19-2022, 06:53 PM
They may be limited in how much square footage they can build due to minimum parking code requirements.

shawnw
07-19-2022, 07:02 PM
But..... they're removing parking regardless.....

I understand, though. Removing parking is fine to a point if they don't build. Maybe they could get a variance?

Pete
07-19-2022, 07:06 PM
But..... they're removing parking regardless.....

I understand, though. Removing parking is fine to a point if they don't build. Maybe they could get a variance?

I'm not sure if parking codes apply here; there are areas of OKC that are exempt, like downtown and most of our urban districts.

But otherwise, if you add SF you have to add the appropriate # of parking spaces.

This is why so many people think that parking requirements should never be imposed by a city. Let the property owners deal with that issue.

unfundedrick
07-19-2022, 09:26 PM
I don't know if it's feasible here and it could be cost prohibitive but having a small parking garage for a supermarket is not that unusual.

TheTravellers
07-20-2022, 09:11 AM
I don't know if it's feasible here and it could be cost prohibitive but having a small parking garage for a supermarket is not that unusual.

Pretty sure there's no land anywhere around it that could be utilized for that purpose, and there's not really a way to replace the surface lot with one.

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
07-20-2022, 03:50 PM
Does the parking area just north across the street belong to the Dowell offices? I mean the lot in the rear of that red tiled awning building with the key shop?

Maybe a snow cone stand could open there, or a small building that sells takeout food.

TheTravellers
07-22-2022, 01:57 PM
Homeland is planning a small addition to the west side of its store at NW 18th & Classen which will expand their refrigerated/frozen food capacity.

They will also remove that small parking lot on the west side of the building and add landscaping.

Asked our regular cashier today about this and her response was (pretty much verbatim) "I don't expect it to start until 2023, it's going to be a mess."

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
03-14-2023, 02:11 PM
They ripped up the entrance and are redoing it.

18th and classen

Mott
04-26-2023, 12:02 PM
At noon today, the parking lot at 18th and Classen closed off by multiple police, wonder what’s happening.

Mott
04-26-2023, 01:12 PM
At noon today, the parking lot at 18th and Classen closed off by multiple police, wonder what’s happening.

Now reporting a bomb scare, search under way

MagzOK
05-20-2023, 09:49 AM
I have heard a rumor earlier this week that Kroger is currently in some stage of the process of buying out Homeland grocery stores. I have scoured the web but cannot find anything to confirm. it may just be a rumor, but where there is smoke fire can usually be found.

Rover
05-20-2023, 09:52 AM
I have heard a rumor that Kroger is currently in some sort of the process of buying out Homeland grocery stores. I have scoured the web but cannot find anything to confirm. it may just be a rumor, but where there is smoke fire can usually be found.
Is the smoke gray, blue or white? Water vapor sometimes looks like smoke. What is the source of this supposed “fire”?

Pete
05-20-2023, 09:56 AM
I have heard a rumor earlier this week that Kroger is currently in some stage of the process of buying out Homeland grocery stores. I have scoured the web but cannot find anything to confirm. it may just be a rumor, but where there is smoke fire can usually be found.

That would be amazing.

And a tribute to what the new leadership of Homeland has accomplished because, before that, Homeland was not in the same universe as Kroger stores.

Bowser214
05-20-2023, 09:59 AM
OMG that would be freaking awesome!!

Pete
05-20-2023, 10:02 AM
When I lived in California, I shopped exclusively at Ralph's which is the Kroger brand on the West Coast.

It's miles better than any main-stream grocer in OKC and their prices are very competitive.

MagzOK
05-20-2023, 10:03 AM
Is the smoke gray, blue or white? Water vapor sometimes looks like smoke. What is the source of this supposed “fire”?

It's an acquaintance of mine in the local financial industry. Like I said, I am unable to confirm this anywhere and have brought it up on this website in hopes Pete or some of the higher powers here can dig something up.

If this happened I would be overjoyed. I shopped at Kroger for years in the DFW area before moving here and they are fantastic stores. My parent's still shop there and are very loyal to the brand.

Pete
05-20-2023, 10:04 AM
It's an acquaintance of mine in the local financial industry here. Like I said, I am unable to confirm this anywhere and have brought it up on this website in hopes Pete or some of the higher powers here can dig something up.

Appreciate it.

I'll see what I can find out.

scottk
05-20-2023, 10:06 AM

I imagine it would just be their OKC Flagship stores. Homeland's that are still around in rural Oklahoma don't seem like they would fit into Kroger's model, or if they are all bought up by the chain, they would be rebranded into another one of Kroger's smaller grocery brands like Food 4 Less.

Pete
05-20-2023, 10:07 AM
BTW, I know for a fact that before they went the delivery route they were scouting for brick-and-mortar sites in and around OKC.

I believe the pandemic torpedoed all that but hopefully now this would be another way in.

They already have massive distribution facilities in the DFW area which could easily serve this market.

TheTravellers
05-20-2023, 11:00 AM
That would be great, since we are actually stopping shopping at Homeland, after using the Classen store for 6+ years. Their frozen meals are sometimes a solid block (been thawed and refrozen at some point), they stop carrying things we like, just various little things that are adding up, and the last straw was them carrying Dietz & Watson deli meat/cheese instead of Boar's Head.

scottk
05-20-2023, 01:18 PM
That would be great, since we are actually stopping shopping at Homeland, after using the Classen store for 6+ years. Their frozen meals are sometimes a solid block (been thawed and refrozen at some point), they stop carrying things we like, just various little things that are adding up, and the last straw was them carrying Dietz & Watson deli meat/cheese instead of Boar's Head.

We were thrilled when the OKC Target stores with a full deli started carrying Boar's Head meat and cheese.

TheTravellers
05-20-2023, 02:28 PM
We were thrilled when the OKC Target stores with a full deli started carrying Boar's Head meat and cheese.

The NW 50th/May doesn't have a deli, which we're sad about because that's where we're doing our grocery shopping now. We'll have to go to Sprouts or Med Imports and Deli for sliced meat.

John1744
05-20-2023, 03:54 PM
I have heard similar with regards to Homeland, and they may be trying to sell of some of their more rural locations to other operators. It's still very preliminary in talks from what I hear.

Another fun rumor, Crest Foods may be looking for a buyer in the next 3-5 years, Bruce is gearing up to retire, and none of the kids are very interested in getting in the business.

DowntownMan
05-20-2023, 07:49 PM
I imagine it would just be their OKC Flagship stores. Homeland's that are still around in rural Oklahoma don't seem like they would fit into Kroger's model, or if they are all bought up by the chain, they would be rebranded into another one of Kroger's smaller grocery brands like Food 4 Less.

Have you seen some of the Dillon’s locations??! A lot of the bad homelands and rural United are no worse than some of the dillions I’ve been in Kansas.

Roger S
05-21-2023, 07:37 AM
Have you seen some of the Dillon’s locations??! A lot of the bad homelands and rural United are no worse than some of the dillions I’ve been in Kansas.

I went in the downtown Dillon's in Hutchinson a few months ago. It still looked the same as it did when I lived there 44 years ago.

With one exception.... They no longer carry Guy's chips. And I specifically went in there looking for a delicacy from my childhood... Guy's Cheese Puffs!

Oddly, after looking at the Guy's website they weren't available any longer in most of Kansas... Ever more odd is Crest and Homeland carry Guy's chips.... Just not the cheese puffs.

bombermwc
05-24-2023, 07:16 AM
If Kroger comes to town, I think Homeland is done. They're always just on the cusp of going under (again). But to me, it's because their stores are always too small. Seems like the stores that make it, are about 50% larger than the ones that don't. And those other offerings like a bakery/deli/seafood counters are part of that extra space. If you're just a shelf store, well you're nothing special and aren't going to survive.

Margins in grocery are so incredibly thin, you have to do something to up that volume of people or you're doomed (or trim your admin overhead).

And honestly, if Kroger comes to town (especially if Crest is actually thinking of selling), then that might be how they do it. I certainly wouldn't mind Kroger coming and sprucing up some of the Crest locations. The Moore one on Eastern is like the red-headed step child.

Roger S
05-24-2023, 08:00 AM
And honestly, if Kroger comes to town (especially if Crest is actually thinking of selling), then that might be how they do it. I certainly wouldn't mind Kroger coming and sprucing up some of the Crest locations. The Moore one on Eastern is like the red-headed step child.

What does that make the original location? You can still hear the ghosts of Nick yelling at his employees over the intercom in that building.

SEMIweather
05-24-2023, 10:17 AM
The difference in quality across Crest's nine locations is unbelievable. The three newest ones in Norman, SW OKC, and Yukon are probably the three best grocery stores in the entire Metro. But the ones in NW OKC and Edmond are just average, as is the newer of the two Midwest City stores. And then the original Midwest City store, the Moore store, and the 23rd/Meridian store are all absolutely awful.

progressiveboy
05-24-2023, 10:57 AM
Competition is good for the marketplace! Kroger is a decent grocer, however it would be nice if OKC could support a Central Market? Maybe it can, but is this grocer interested in the OKC market? I am also surprised that TJ's does not have more locations in the OKC metro area and WF having at least 1-2 more locations. Maybe they are not expanding?

Rover
05-24-2023, 04:21 PM
Competition is good for the marketplace! Kroger is a decent grocer, however it would be nice if OKC could support a Central Market? Maybe it can, but is this grocer interested in the OKC market? I am also surprised that TJ's does not have more locations in the OKC metro area and WF having at least 1-2 more locations. Maybe they are not expanding?

Way rather have Central Market than another WF. They would kill it here.

Bowser214
05-24-2023, 06:42 PM
Agree CM is pretty awesome.

Mesta Parker
05-24-2023, 09:34 PM
CM in OKC would be wonderful. There are no current plans, however, per a HEB store manager (HEB is the parent of CM) i know. Last month when I told him how much OKC could use a HEB or CM, he stated HEB's first entry into OK will be an Ardmore HEB in 2030. HEB has already purchased an Ardmore property.

BoulderSooner
05-25-2023, 07:31 AM
The difference in quality across Crest's nine locations is unbelievable. The three newest ones in Norman, SW OKC, and Yukon are probably the three best grocery stores in the entire Metro. But the ones in NW OKC and Edmond are just average, as is the newer of the two Midwest City stores. And then the original Midwest City store, the Moore store, and the 23rd/Meridian store are all absolutely awful.

very excited about the new east Edmond location that opens this fall

PaddyShack
05-25-2023, 07:35 AM
CM in OKC would be wonderful. There are no current plans, however, per a HEB store manager (HEB is the parent of CM) i know. Last month when I told him how much OKC could use a HEB or CM, he stated HEB's first entry into OK will be an Ardmore HEB in 2030. HEB has already purchased an Ardmore property.

Love me some HEB.

I would also love to have Wegman's grow this far west.

Roger S
05-25-2023, 09:34 AM

I hope this is true... A new grocer is coming to Ardmore soon but so far the City is keeping very tight lipped on who it is and it will happen before 2030... I had heard Albertsons was looking to expand back into Oklahoma before covid but don't know if that's still the case..

corwin1968
05-25-2023, 10:13 AM
very excited about the new east Edmond location that opens this fall

We are regular shoppers at the Edmond location on NW 164th but are really looking forward to visiting the new East location, just to see how it compares.

foodiefan
05-25-2023, 02:26 PM

Checker at TJ's in Tulsa told me that they will be putting one in Moore. . . maybe a rumor, but it's a good one!!

Rover
05-25-2023, 03:18 PM

HEB would be great here. They used to be a client of mine. Used to be a class professional organization... assume it still is. Stores were very good.

zefferoni
06-02-2023, 07:24 AM
That's how Kroger was where I went to college in Arkansas. One was extremely dumpy and never had good produce, and the newer one was very nice.

Bowser214
06-02-2023, 08:17 AM
I will say the Crest on NW 23rd is clean and you don't have to wait a long time to get checked out even during busy times. It would be nice if they could update the store tho. I used to love WinCo but their checkout process is horrible. I miss Kroger :(

FighttheGoodFight
06-02-2023, 09:03 AM
Checker at TJ's in Tulsa told me that they will be putting one in Moore. . . maybe a rumor, but it's a good one!!

A Trader Joes and Whole Foods in Moore/Norman area would be a hit I'm sure. I just don't know if they are expanding or not.

progressiveboy
06-02-2023, 10:16 AM
A Trader Joes and Whole Foods in Moore/Norman area would be a hit I'm sure. I just don't know if they are expanding or not.

Personally, I think TJ's would be a better fit for Norman. One reason is I heard that Costco has not gotten a stellar welcome in Moore and is not performing as well as they thought?

oklip955
06-02-2023, 01:12 PM
The one on Memorial is always packed when I drive by. I gave up trying to find a parking space and let my membership lapse. Maybe time to drive down there from Edmond to shop

Pete
09-21-2023, 08:44 AM
The rumor about Kroger buying out Homeland has gone cold.

I checked around and nobody knew anything about this happening.

Bill Robertson
09-21-2023, 09:33 AM
The NW164th & May Homeland should be open in early October.

MagzOK
09-21-2023, 09:42 AM

That really is disappointing!

corwin1968
09-21-2023, 11:50 AM
The NW164th & May Homeland should be open in early October.

Their building signage went up this week.

SEMIweather
09-21-2023, 12:09 PM
That really is disappointing!

Disagree. I rarely shop at Homeland but it is good to have that money go back into a company that is headquartered in OKC.

Bill Robertson
09-21-2023, 12:28 PM
Their building signage went up this week.
That I didn't know. But they're sending product to the store.

John1744
09-21-2023, 04:01 PM

Yeah I haven't heard anything too solid either way but common theory among the grocery guys is Kroger is just all hands with the Albertsons merger and they don't need any extra scrutiny or baggage at just his moment.

Pete
09-21-2023, 04:25 PM
Yeah I haven't heard anything too solid either way but common theory among the grocery guys is Kroger is just all hands with the Albertsons merger and they don't need any extra scrutiny or baggage at just his moment.

Plus, they are really focused on continuing to build out their delivery-only infrastructure.

Would absolutely love to have their physical stores here, though. Their buying power would make their prices much more competitive than Homeland.

I still really like their delivery service.