View Full Version : Cedar Lane Construction Begins

venture
06-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Construction will start June 23rd for an $8.1 million widening of Cedar Lane Road in South Norman. Changes will include:

Widened to four lanes.
5-ft bike lanes adjacent to the curbs
Traffic signal added to Cedar Lane & 12th SE with dual left turn lanes from 12th to EB Cedar Lane
5-ft sidewalks added on both sides of the road
At-grade RR crossing will become a quiet zone crossing.

Map of the area where Cedar Lane runs.
http://www.weatherspotlight.com/screencap/june14/cedarlane.png

Couple thoughts...

1) This obviously will work up the anti-sprawl crew since this road really doesn't serve a densely populated area. The Links and Black Locust subdivision are the only two residential areas forced to use Cedar Lane.

2) Glad to see bike lanes and sidewalks are included in the plan, so since there is nothing to stop this maybe it encourage more walkable developments in the area.

3) Shocked that it didn't include extended 24th SE to actually connect to Cedar Lane. Though I imagine it will eventually tie in. Interesting of note, 24th SE actually has a decent sized roundabout in the middle of the neighborhood being developed south of Highway 9. Maybe an opportunity lost to not do something similar along Cedar Lane at the 12th Ave SE intersection which is going to be completely redone.

Plutonic Panda
06-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Nope... don't like it... needs to be 6 lanes with a couple stack interchanges at the "lights" ;)

Plutonic Panda
06-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Couple of things though

Very glad to see bike lanes included. Hopefully some high-density or quality development will be built along this road and not the typical throw-away strip mall.

Also, how do you get a quit zone at-grade crossing? I thought it just had to be closed period to be quite zone..

venture
06-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Nope... don't like it... needs to be 6 lanes with a couple stack interchanges at the "lights" ;)

Imma beat you one of these days. :-P

Couple of things though

Very glad to see bike lanes included. Hopefully some high-density or quality development will be built along this road and not the typical throw-away strip mall.

Yeah I'm glad that the bike lanes are in there. I'm hopeful that when the widening of 24th from Lindsey north to Robinson happens that they are included there as well. The road right now is pretty heavy with bike traffic considering it is a 2-lane 40 mph road right now that backs up pretty good in the afternoons and evenings.

I'm not sure how much development this area will see outside of more subdivisions. The Black Locust development is literally only 15 homes - but range from $200-400k. Now if there are other developments in the works that makes this road needed, that's another thing. I know a new Supercenter an Lowes have been rumored in this area, but further north on the Perfect Swing property, so maybe there are some other things happening. With this development though I would like to see the Southlake subdivision have its traffic rerouted to Cedar Lane instead of pouring directly onto Hwy 77. A residential neighborhood pouring onto a 6-lane 50 mph street is just not good. I guess they could add a light, but at some point it is going to be nothing but a traffic light every 100 ft since they also desperately need one added at Ann Branden Blvd. Anyways, I'm getting off topic. LOL

LocoAko
06-17-2014, 04:28 PM
As someone who frequently bikes on Cedar (though usually 36th and east), I'm really glad to see the bike lines and will definitely use them once they're done!

iambecoming
06-19-2014, 08:10 PM
So this and the hwy 9 widening are going to be going on at the same time? Sounds fun.

venture
06-19-2014, 09:00 PM
So this and the hwy 9 widening are going to be going on at the same time? Sounds fun.

Yes but really the number of people impacted by cedar Lane in minimal.

zacelliott
07-02-2014, 02:37 PM
I live at the Greens over on 24th and am so glad this is finally happening. It's also been mentioned Cedar Lane between 77 and 24th SE will remain open the whole time which is fantastic since both Detours (South on 24th on a road that has ruts deeper than the grand canyon) or east to 36th and turning left on HWY 9 (A deathtrap)) suck. I'm glad bike lanes are being added, there's been an increase of bikers as the weather has gotten nicer and having them not blocking traffic will be really nice.
Also I think extending 24th South will happen, since there's been construction running utilities and such north from Cedar Lane into the development for a while now. If you really want to get the sprawl folks riled up, check out page 8 of this and the Cedar Lane addition area. It's going to blow up in size: http://www.ci.norman.ok.us/filebrowser_download/681/Public%20Works/Cedar%20Lane%20Public%20Meeting%20Preseentation_KD .pdf