View Full Version : Crime in Edmond

Motley
06-17-2014, 02:53 PM
My niece plans to attend UCO in the fall. She is currently looking for housing. Are there any areas of Edmond or apartment complexes to avoid? I checked the general crime statistics for Edmond and it seems very safe, but I am sure there must be pockets to avoid, like in all towns and cities.

Zuplar
06-17-2014, 02:55 PM
My sister-in-law stayed in Bryant Place, just down the street. She never mentioned crime, and enjoyed that she could walk or ride to school.

BBatesokc
06-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Depends what you mean by 'crime.' You're gonna experience some petty theft and may have some mild vandalism from many of your complexes near UCO with lots of students - at least people I know that recently lived near campus claimed that - but for the most part the complexes are fine and closer is all around better IMO. Don't leave your bike outside, don't leave your door unlocked and don't be stupid and I'm betting it will be a great experience.

Motley
06-17-2014, 03:11 PM
I'm more worried about personal and sexual crimes. I didn't see any on the crime maps found on the web, but many of them are out of date. Want to make sure she avoids areas known to be full of trouble. She is on a tight budget, so I am worried she won't be able to afford the nicer complexes around town.

oklip955
06-17-2014, 08:22 PM
There a few complexes that have gang type problems. Not at all safe. I can go into name a few for you. If I were her I would find a small garage apartment.

Motley
06-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Good idea. She is searching in a few weeks, so I will list the places she finds to see if anyone knows of any issues in that area.

Filthy
06-19-2014, 09:56 AM
There a few complexes that have gang type problems. Not at all safe.

Yea, I hear the OG Pennyloafers from Oak Tree are pretty nasty dudes. Definitely don't want her crossing paths there.

curt.dewbre
06-20-2014, 03:07 PM
I recommend freshman stay at least the first year in the dorms or in an on campus apartment for safety reasons and also in order to really get that full
college experience. If she is absolutely dead set against the idea of on campus living then you make look at staying close to UCO. Dillon park isn't affiliated with UCO, but it is very closely located and also requires residents be UCO students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rezman
06-20-2014, 06:49 PM
The daughter of a friend of mine went to UCO and stayed accross the street in the UCO housing that used to be the hotel. From all I heard about it, she had a good experience.

Hollywood
06-21-2014, 01:23 AM
The daughter of a friend of mine went to UCO and stayed accross the street in the UCO housing that used to be the hotel. From all I heard about it, she had a good experience.

I'd recommend this option. Then I'd recommend avoiding Coffee Creek Apartments, Rolling Greens, and Sunset Ridge.

The rest are safe aside from the petty stuff mentioned above that you find with a college crowd. The complex at 1600 Kickingbird may be the more annoying if she's looking for peace and quiet.

BBatesokc
06-21-2014, 06:01 AM
This might help a little.... Edmond Apartments for Rent - Edmond Apartments Reviews and Ratings (http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/OK-Edmond.html)

Dennis Heaton
06-21-2014, 06:19 AM
This might help a little.... Edmond Apartments for Rent - Edmond Apartments Reviews and Ratings (http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/OK-Edmond.html)

ALWAYS check the online Apartment Ratings and Review, which contains comments from REAL current and past residents...not just the reviews that were "planted" by the Landlord/Property Owner. Also check for a Facebook Page on apartment complexes you are researching.

Depending on whether or not she is willing to drive, consider NW OKC...rents might be more affordable. (https://www.facebook.com/Tammaronvillageapts )

BBatesokc
06-21-2014, 06:33 AM
ALWAYS check the online Apartment Ratings and Review, which contains comments from REAL current and past residents...not just the reviews that were "planted" by the Landlord/Property Owner. Also check for a Facebook Page on apartment complexes you are researching.

Depending on whether or not she is willing to drive, consider NW OKC...rents might be more affordable. (https://www.facebook.com/Tammaronvillageapts )

If not within very close walking distance, I'd see if the Edmond Citylink is a viable option nearby to save on gas, parking, and to help in case of a car that won't start.

Dennis Heaton
06-21-2014, 06:39 AM
If not within very close walking distance, I'd see if the Edmond Citylink is a viable option nearby to save on gas, parking, and to help in case of a car that won't start.

Which, BTW, is very affordable... Edmond, OK - Official Website - Citylink Edmond (http://edmondok.com/index.aspx?nid=205)

Midtowner
06-21-2014, 08:44 AM
I recommend freshman stay at least the first year in the dorms or in an on campus apartment for safety reasons and also in order to really get that full
college experience. If she is absolutely dead set against the idea of on campus living then you make look at staying close to UCO. Dillon park isn't affiliated with UCO, but it is very closely located and also requires residents be UCO students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see why anyone would be dead set about not living on campus. UCO has a lot of levels of amenities. The Commons, for example are really not much different from apartment living.

It would be wise to stay on campus. It makes it much easier to roll out of bed and walk to class rather than roll out of bed, get in the car, find parking (not easy) and get to class. At least for the first year while time management skills might be lacking.