View Full Version : Needed: Automotive Reupholsterer

SoonerDave
06-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Hey....I am in need of an automotive reupholsterer who might be able to snag a good replacement (preferably original) tan driver's side seatcover replacement for my wonderful ol' 2004 Lesabre. The current seat has developed a nasty tear that I've tried (and failed) to repair myself with a backing/adhesive kit, but the area of the tear is such a severe wear area it just couldn't hold up.

Would really like to try and snag some original leather seatcovers if possible and, obviously, if not cost-prohibitive :)

stick47
06-14-2014, 05:28 AM
Try Gibsons Trim Supply 1515 W Main St for fabric. Not sure i they carry leather though.

On the 1967 Buick I inherited I had a similar issue and I bought some of the original seat material and headliner at Largest Selection of Cloth, Vinyl & Leather Automobile Upholstery - SMS Auto Fabrics (http://www.smsautofabrics.com/)

I'd take it to Classen Seat Cover Center for the work

Urbanized
06-14-2014, 08:48 AM
Upholstery Unlimited on S. Sunnylane does excellent work, as does Classen Seat Cover. I've used both.

Dubya61
06-16-2014, 03:19 PM
I can't speak for the quality of work, but I've seen "Splish/Splash Auto Detail and Restorations" signs on 29th in Midwest City between I-40 and Sooner Road.

Zuplar
06-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Upholstery Unlimited on S. Sunnylane does excellent work, as does Classen Seat Cover. I've used both.

I've not used Upholstery Unlimited for Automotive, but I have for a boat cover. The cover itself at first glance was good, but didn't make the trip home. I was livid. The owner said it was made to be towed, I asked him 3 times before I left with it on if it was okay, because he didn't put straps on the back, and I was worried wind would pull it up. He assured me he always made them this way and never had issues. So I drove 240 home, and by the time I noticed it was flapping, it was too late, had already ripped the straps and started to come off. I'm just thankful it didn't come off going down the road and cause a wreck, cause had that happened, I'm sure that would have been a disaster. Needless to say I got home and immediately called and let him know my displeasure. He offered to fix it, and low and behold he added straps to the back. It's help up to this point, but one side is starting to have issues on the corners. Under further inspection he didn't double up with fabric like he did on the other side.

So at some point I will have to take it back and have him fix it. I'd take it elsewhere but I don't want to have to pay for it. My opinion is he does a 20/20 job, meaning it looks good from 20 feet or at 20 mph, but he is not very particular and doesn't pay attention to detail.

SoonerDave
07-18-2014, 07:22 AM
Just a follow-up on this...

Went to Upholstery Unlimited and they said they could order an identical-match piece of leather to replace the portion with the tear, and also recommended a combination cleaner/conditioner to help spruce up the rest of my leather interior. They said it would take about a week to get the piece in, and they could have the repair done in a few hours. I'm really stoked, and could see some of their other work in their shop when I visited. I think it's going to work out really well.

Now all I need to do is find a replacement driver's side sun visor and get the carpets shampooed, and my ol' gal will look awesome! :)

Thanks all. Will update after its all done.

Pete
07-18-2014, 07:24 AM
^

Would you mind providing the cost for this?

Urbanized
07-18-2014, 07:30 AM
Tell Todd I recommended him. I keep him pretty busy with bright yellow vinyl.

SoonerDave
07-18-2014, 10:30 AM
^

Would you mind providing the cost for this?

Surely! They quoted me $175 using a piece of replacement vinyl, but as the rest of the upholstery is in pretty good shape I wanted to upgrade and replace leather-for-leather. That was $200. They ordered their supplier's factory match specifically for my car - even said "LeSabre" right in the catalog, so if this isn't an exact match, I wouldn't know where you'd get one LOL

Pete
07-18-2014, 10:55 AM
And installation cost?

SoonerDave
07-18-2014, 11:18 AM
And installation cost?

My understanding was that was the quote for the whole job. If I've misunderstood, I'll update/confirm. It's about a three-inch-long tear in the front panel of the driver's seat, which is only about 12" wide from the front edge. Hard to explain textually, but the seat area is composed of (at least) two separate fabric (well, leather) panels, and they're going to remove the torn portion and stitch in the new piece in its place.

hoya
07-18-2014, 02:50 PM
That's awesome. I need to do the same for the driver's side seat in my truck.

Dennis Heaton
07-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Sounds like it might be time for a road trip to Tijuana, East L.A., or Chula Vista, CA. Those fellas out there are the experts!

Zuplar
07-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Hope you have better luck than I did. Guy was a joke. I'm taking my cover back to him to fix what he forgot to do at the end of the season, then I'm never using them again.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-20-2014, 01:08 PM
These are the guys that I had put leather in my truck.

https://www.facebook.com/Dealersaftermarket

They did a fantastic job. I love it.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7314/8720996268_c917763679_b.jpg

Dennis Heaton
07-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Oh GAWD...that is almost perfect! Makes me wish I had a 48 Plymouth Woody.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Couple of others that they've done...Many more on their Facebook page:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2935/14143575659_ccc224fc13_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3710/12264167715_e1ea037b5a_b.jpg

SoonerDave
08-19-2014, 05:16 AM
Thought it would be appropriate to finish off this thread with an update on the work Upholstery Unlimited did for me....

In a word - it was perfect. They ordered a piece of replacement leather that was an absolute spot-on match for my existing seats. I dropped off the car on a Friday morning, and picked it up that afternoon, and the repair was perfect. I couldn't be more pleased with the result, and it makes my ol' gal look at least a few years younger to have that nasty tear gone. Can't speak for anyone else's experiences, obviously, but color me a happy customer.

Now all I need is a really good place to get the ol' carpets shampooed!! :)

Urbanized
08-19-2014, 06:33 AM
Glad it worked out!

kevinpate
08-19-2014, 08:31 AM
I missed this thread before. But I'll add a big happy nod for Upholstery Unlimited as well. I do not recall right off who pointed me their way, but I was very pleased with their service, including their subcontractor who fixed a bad seat back.

I used to use a chap in Norman but he passed away a while back. So after some asking around, I ended up going to see these folks. Quick, well priced, and just generally good folk. When a new need arises, they'll be call one.

Jersey Boss
08-19-2014, 03:01 PM
I missed this thread before. But I'll add a big happy nod for Upholstery Unlimited as well. I do not recall right off who pointed me their way, but I was very pleased with their service, including their subcontractor who fixed a bad seat back.

I used to use a chap in Norman but he passed away a while back. So after some asking around, I ended up going to see these folks. Quick, well priced, and just generally good folk. When a new need arises, they'll be call one.

Bob made Norman a better place. RIP

Zuplar
08-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Glad you had a much better experience than I did. It's about the end of boating season so I need to take mine for him to fix.