View Full Version : Where OU and OSU Alumni Live (according to LinkedIn)

BG918
06-12-2014, 09:33 PM
I thought this was interesting, from the respective university pages for OU and OSU. These are likely metro areas, so Norman is included with OKC.

OU - based on 81,889 LinkedIn profiles
1. Oklahoma City - 22,792
2. Dallas/Ft Worth - 9,858
3. Tulsa - 7,082
4. Houston - 3,700
5. Washington DC - 2,229

OSU - based on 84,984 LinkedIn profiles
1. Oklahoma City - 20,420
2. Tulsa - 17,179
3. Dallas/Ft Worth - 8,428
4. Houston - 3,431
5. Denver - 1,638

Pete
06-12-2014, 09:38 PM
That is interesting!

The one thing that really jumps out is that there are much more OSU grads in Tulsa than OU.

Spartan
06-12-2014, 09:39 PM
No Cleveland??

adaniel
06-12-2014, 10:04 PM
That is interesting!

The one thing that really jumps out is that there are much more OSU grads in Tulsa than OU.

Definitely not surprising for those who have done business up there. I've always felt vastly outnumbered as an OU grad although I now know its not just in my head LOL.

Given my experience in DFW the past 3 months I would have figured there would be more OU and OSU grads down here.

CuatrodeMayo
06-13-2014, 09:52 AM
There are several OSU alumni here in SEA. There seems to be at least one in just about every architecture firm.

lasomeday
06-13-2014, 09:56 AM
There are several OSU alumni here in SEA. There seems to be at least one in just about every architecture firm.

Yeah, I know quite a few.

I wonder how they figure people who graduated from both OU and OSU?

Bunty
06-13-2014, 12:44 PM
That is interesting!

Probably simply because more Tulsa people go to OSU than OU and then want to work in Tulsa.

Rover
06-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Tulsa is 63 miles from Stillwater. Norman is 122. Lots of OSU kids go to Tulsa for activities like concerts, etc. and are more familiar with the city and want to return. Seems natural to me.

BG918
06-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Nm

BG918
06-13-2014, 04:49 PM
I added 5 additional cities to show a Top 10 for each university.

OU - based on 81,889 LinkedIn profiles
1. Oklahoma City - 22,792
2. Dallas/Ft Worth - 9,858
3. Tulsa - 7,082
4. Houston - 3,700
5. Washington DC - 2,229
6. Denver - 1,701
7. Austin - 1,494
8. Los Angeles - 1,456
9. New York - 1,444
10. San Francisco Bay Area - 1,289

OSU - based on 84,984 LinkedIn profiles
1. Oklahoma City - 20,420
2. Tulsa - 17,179
3. Dallas/Ft Worth - 8,428
4. Houston - 3,431
5. Denver - 1,638
6. Austin - 1,296
7. Kansas City - 1,249
8. San Francisco Bay Area - 1,204
9. Washington DC - 1,126
10. New York - 978

ou48A
06-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Thanks for posting this!

I surprised that OU has so many more people in the DC area…. Must be because OU has a law school and OSU doesn’t?
I am not surprised by the Tulsa figures at all.
I thought there might be more graduates from both university’s in Houston and DFW but there are a lot more former Oklahoman’s in both metro areas than those numbers.

Cid
06-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks for posting this!

I surprised that OU has so many more people in the DC area…. Must be because OU has a law school and OSU doesn’t?
I am not surprised by the Tulsa figures at all.
I thought there might be more graduates from both university’s in Houston and DFW but there are a lot more former Oklahoman’s in both metro areas than those numbers.
The most interesting part to me is that there aren't THAT many more OU grads in OKC than OSU grads.

Spartan
06-13-2014, 05:57 PM
OKC is becoming a more attractive place for graduates of both universities.

Teo9969
06-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Keep in mind that OSU has 3,000+ more people in those numbers than OU. It's pretty clear that OU alums get out of Oklahoma more, and into "higher-profile cities" like D.C., LA, NYC at a higher rate. The D.C. discrepancy is far and away the most interesting statistic to me.

Dennis Heaton
06-13-2014, 07:24 PM
I can certainly understand why they have headed out to Denver and San Francisco, especially the OSU Grads (with the Agricultural Degrees).

adaniel
06-14-2014, 09:05 PM
OKC is becoming a more attractive place for graduates of both universities.

Its pretty jarring to me that, when combined, there are 78 percent more OU & OSU grads in OKC than in Tulsa, even though the OKC MSA is only about 36 percent larger. Is Tulsa having that hard of a time retaining graduates? I would think a part of this is there are a lot of TU, Arkansas, and KU grads in Tulsa, but still the gap is significant.

Went to go visit a friend who works for works for a government agency. While there we went to an OU Watch Party in Alexandria. I was pretty surprised how crowded it was. Supposedly there is a lot of OU alumni in military/DoD and aerospace engineers in the defense industry up there, in addition to lawyers and lobbyists. From my view a lot of lobbyists with OU ties work in the energy sector.

bluedogok
06-15-2014, 12:09 AM
As usual, the numbers are probably skewed some. I don't have school information (OU/UCO) on my LinkedIn account, many I know (around my age) don't have any school info as well on their account.

BG918
06-15-2014, 04:17 AM
I could be wrong but Stillwater may be lumped in with the OKC metro on LinkedIn. I know Norman is. Lots of current OU and OSU students are on LinkedIn and would be included in OKC. Just my guess.

Spartan
06-15-2014, 10:44 AM
As usual, the numbers are probably skewed some. I don't have school information (OU/UCO) on my LinkedIn account, many I know (around my age) don't have any school info as well on their account.

I'm just confused as to why anyone would have a LinkedIn account and not have any mention of their alma mater?

bluedogok
06-15-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm just confused as to why anyone would have a LinkedIn account and not have any mention of their alma mater?
Because almost 30 years into most careers it really doesn't matter where you went to school, just that you can do the job.

I have it but really don't use it for anything, the only time that I look at it is when I get a message on their system which is pretty rare. Just never got into it.

Pete
06-15-2014, 03:39 PM
I could be wrong but Stillwater may be lumped in with the OKC metro on LinkedIn. I know Norman is. Lots of current OU and OSU students are on LinkedIn and would be included in OKC. Just my guess.

Not many undergrads still in school have LinkedIn profiles.

And even if they did, since they aren't graduates would they even be counted?

BG918
06-15-2014, 05:39 PM

I don't know if it matters whether you graduated or not, but instead if you have the school listed on your profile. My brother is an OU student with a LinkedIn profile, is he then counted as Oklahoma City on this list? I also don't know which one it uses if you went to multiple schools, or different ones for undergrad and grad. For instance I know someone who did 2 years at CU and then finished at CSU. His face appeared on the CU page as "alumni" even though he didn't graduate from there. It is still interesting nonetheless.

Pete
06-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Where did you get the info in the original post?

This really is an interesting subject and I'd like to delve into it further.

BG918
06-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Where did you get the info in the original post?

This really is an interesting subject and I'd like to delve into it further.

Just about every large university, and many small ones, has an official University page on LinkedIn. There is other interesting info on there too like industries where people from that university work, companies/organizations, etc When I found it I spent an hour or so looking at different places, especially my alma mater OU. I think it has its flaws like I mentioned before so it's hardly a scientific poll but still a fun conversation (or in this case thread) starter.

Spartan
06-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Because almost 30 years into most careers it really doesn't matter where you went to school, just that you can do the job.

I have it but really don't use it for anything, the only time that I look at it is when I get a message on their system which is pretty rare. Just never got into it.

If you want to get anything out of it I would at least put your college degrees on it. I typically look up people on there before a meeting, most others in my field do, too.

adaniel
06-15-2014, 08:32 PM

Maybe its different for each major, but its standard practice for business and engineering majors at OU to have a LinkedIn page, especially if they have any sort of internship experience.

I did not think that OSU students would be counted as being in OKC but it definitely sounds plausible.

Pete
06-15-2014, 08:53 PM
If you look at the page for OSU you can see it is included in the Oklahoma City Area.

The way LinkedIn breaks down geography, they lump all smaller communities in with a larger city, even if it's not part of the Metropolitan Statistical Area which is used to report population.

Strangely, they do have separate buckets set up for Enid and Lawton, but not Stillwater and Norman.

Oklahoma State University
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Area

https://www.linkedin.com/edu/oklahoma-state-university-19170

ou48A
06-15-2014, 09:16 PM
In an interesting side note to all this is that OU has enough support in the Houston area to have 2 radio stations in the Houston metro broadcasting its football games for the past several years.
OU has had football radio stations in Dallas and Wichita KS for many years……
At times OU has had radio stations in Washington DC (50,000 watts) Bakersfield CA, San Antonio TX and Kansas City. There have been several others in Texas, New Mexico Kansas and probably more that I don’t remember.
While not all of these folks who offer their support for OU may be OU alumni their collective support still helps.

BG918
05-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Another interesting interactive map showing the distribution of college graduates in major metros across the country. Both OKC and Tulsa appear as rather insular taking in most of their college grads from Oklahoma universities. OU is dominate in both OKC and Dallas, and OSU in Tulsa.

http://www.wsj.com/graphics/where-graduates-move-after-college/?mod=article_inline

AP
05-15-2018, 01:01 PM
http://archive.is/NuJXj