View Full Version : Best Public School District to raise two teenagers

Pages : [1] 2

okrednk
06-12-2014, 08:17 PM
It's been awhile since we've lived back in OK and OKC for that matter. I would like to get as many opinions as possible on where to raise two teenagers in the Oklahoma City metro area. I will be working off Western & I-40, so distance isn't too big a factor, but definitely do not want to be driving more than 30 minutes give or take to get to work every day. Much appreciated for any advice.

okrednk
06-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Does anyone on here have any input? Yukon, Mustang, Norman, Newcastle? Thoughts, anyone?

FighttheGoodFight
06-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Well you have Edmond schools that are pretty nice. I went there and it was a good experience. You have Deer Creek Schools which are smaller but nice. I heard Piedmont schools are nice as well.

Putnam City Schools are not too bad. I think it depends on the high school.

SSEiYah
06-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Does anyone on here have any input? Yukon, Mustang, Norman, Newcastle? Thoughts, anyone?

I'd start at greatschools.org:

Edmond Schools - Edmond Oklahoma School Ratings - Public and Private (http://www.greatschools.org/oklahoma/edmond/)
Norman Schools - Norman Oklahoma School Ratings - Public and Private (http://www.greatschools.org/oklahoma/norman/)
Piedmont Schools - Piedmont Oklahoma School Ratings - Public and Private (http://www.greatschools.org/oklahoma/piedmont/)
Moore Schools - Moore Oklahoma School Ratings - Public and Private (http://www.greatschools.org/oklahoma/moore/)
Yukon Schools - Yukon Oklahoma School Ratings - Public and Private (http://www.greatschools.org/oklahoma/yukon/)
Mustang Schools - Mustang Oklahoma School Ratings - Public and Private (http://www.greatschools.org/oklahoma/mustang/)
Newcastle Schools - Newcastle Oklahoma School Ratings - Public and Private (http://www.greatschools.org/oklahoma/newcastle/)
Oklahoma City Schools - Oklahoma City Oklahoma School Ratings - Public and Private (http://www.greatschools.org/oklahoma/oklahoma-city/)

Zillow.com has a feature that will tell you which school district a particular home is in.

kevinpate
06-14-2014, 03:43 AM
Having raised three though Norman schools (Adams, Whittier and North) and having compared some notes with a dear friend who has her second child almost finished via Monroe, Alcott and High, as well as other notes along the way with several parents via church, baseball, scouting, etc., I'm a fan of Norman schools.

PennyQuilts
06-14-2014, 06:41 AM
There are some good schools down south and west but that's a rather nasty commute, depending on the time of day, from parts of the southside to your job. There are a lot of great public schools but the i44/I40 interchange can be slow.

KenRagsdale
06-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Start with the end in mind. Speak with parents and students who have matriculated through the school(s) you're considering. If you receive positive feedback, the school(s) deserve a second look.

kevinpate
06-14-2014, 08:59 AM
I'll add this to the Norman/OKC commute. It's nothing but a pain for lemmings, and nothing but a breeze to non-lemmings.

If one's goal is to leave when most so, then one ends up on the I-35 parking lot for a spell with everyone who had the same bad idea.

I've left north Norman in the 7:10-7:25 window a time or three, and ditched the interstate on the south side of Moore to escape my self-inflicted punishment.
When I have my head on straight I'm already in the city and reading my mail or a paper by 7:35, sometimes earlier depending on why I have come north.

Going home is the same. Run an errand or knock out a bit more work, and still end up at home about the time as the never learns who jockey the highway for just one extra car length and call it a win.

Jeepnokc
06-14-2014, 02:10 PM
We looked several years ago and came to the decision to put out kids in Moore schools. I liked Norman but didn't want the commute. Brink jr high or the new one opening in next couple of years and high school would shoot for Moore south or Moore west. Tough for me to say as a MWC grad. Piedmont and deer creek were out due to commute. Edmond is like any other school district as far as other problems but most of the Edmond kids I Interacted with growing up seemed to think they were entitled and didn't want my kids being the same. Before everyone with kids in edmond schools starts bashing me....that was MY experience based on MY encounters and thus I am entitled to MY opinion. Doesn't 'make it it the truth or right...just my opinion. ( I worked two years at frontier city with bunch of Edmond students and have several family members who graduated Edmond schools.). My wife was Yukon grad and her and her parents thought MWC kids were thugs.

Mel
06-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Mustang or Yukon would work with your kids and you commute. Yukon just opened this year a new High School that looks like College and Mustang is building schools everywhere it seems. West is not too bad of direction to go. If you don't like up close fireworks don't move to Mustang. The week before and 2 days after it's like a constant fire fight going on.

Bellaboo
06-14-2014, 07:13 PM
I do the commute from the Yukon area to the capitol every day around 7 am. It takes me 21 minutes to go 19 miles.... It's really a breeze at 7 am and 4 pm Monday - Friday. The Yukon schools just dropped 60 million on a new high school. Great facilities.. It's a middle class town in the least.

adaniel
06-14-2014, 08:48 PM
Do not put your kids in Mustang Schools, unless you want them to be teen parents or addicted to meth. Sorry guys, this is just my opinion, nothing more or less. I have met a lot of former Mustang students, both at OU and while I was working, and literally NONE of them had anything nice to say about their former school.

If you are going to live on that side of town, I would say Yukon is a much better decision.

OSUFan
06-16-2014, 07:49 AM
Do not put your kids in Mustang Schools, unless you want them to be teen parents or addicted to meth. Sorry guys, this is just my opinion, nothing more or less. I have met a lot of former Mustang students, both at OU and while I was working, and literally NONE of them had anything nice to say about their former school.

If you are going to live on that side of town, I would say Yukon is a much better decision.

That is just a flat out ignorant statement. Like any big school there will be certain issues but I went to Mustang and was not addicted to meth or a teen parent. Mustang is a really big school (for Oklahoma) and of course there are things that go with that. I have a daughter and would have zero qualms about sending her to Mustang when she is old enough.

P.S.- If you are worried about "big school" problems Yukon is not any "safer". I know just as many people who went to Yukon and ended up involved with drugs and teen parenting.

Zuplar
06-16-2014, 07:57 AM

My wife and I both graduated from Mustang. The biggest problem I see with the town and district is it's at this crossroads where it's still a small town, with the small town attitude, but at the same time seeing some growth and influx from outsiders. Coming into this town is hit or miss. Some people welcome you and others just stare at you like, you aren't from around here. Since I've graduated I now live on the East side of Mustang, but in Moore schools. I still do shopping in Mustang, but a lot more in West and South OKC than I did when I lived in town. From what I've seen a lot of the people I graduated with that are still around are all 'those' people in high school, if you know what I mean. Rather they are the entitled I'm rich because my daddy owns his own business, or those that had no ambition to do anything with their life. The main reason I am here is because I still work in town, and my family lives here. If not for working here I'd probably be close enough to be in Edmond schools, or in Edmond.

My opinion is that Yukon is probably worse. Growing up in the area I had lots of Yukon friends, and the drugs and pregnancy were just as bad as Mustang, if not worse on the drugs end. That coupled with all the corruption the school district itself has had the last few years, I'd avoid it.

I don't know much about Moore schools. My house is located in the South Lakes, Brink Jr, Westmoore district. A few of my neighbors that have kids said they really enjoy the schools. Actually all of them moved there thinking it was Mustang schools only to find out later it was Westmoore, but in the end said they had a great experience and didn't regret it at all. I'd bet that where I live, Southwest of Will Rogers, would suit the OP criteria for travel. I'm a straight shot to I44 or even Airport road, and doesn't take me anytime to get downtown.

PennyQuilts
06-16-2014, 08:55 AM

Oh for crying out loud.

Mustang is exploding in growth - compared to even ten years ago it is huge. New businesses going in, new schools, new population of educated, hard working people. Check out the stats on how the schools are doing. My husband went tbrough Mustang schools and left after graduating, sick of a backwards little town. Twenty-five years later we moved back and live the area. I wouldn't heasitate to raise kids here and anytime you live in a small town you have to keep an eye on them. With greater freedom (which they have) you get a lot of risks but you also often end up with a kid who is smart, self sufficient and healthily tied into community.

adaniel
06-16-2014, 09:30 AM
My wife and I both graduated from Mustang. The biggest problem I see with the town and district is it's at this crossroads where it's still a small town, with the small town attitude, but at the same time seeing some growth and influx from outsiders. Coming into this town is hit or miss. Some people welcome you and others just stare at you like, you aren't from around here. Since I've graduated I now live on the East side of Mustang, but in Moore schools. I still do shopping in Mustang, but a lot more in West and South OKC than I did when I lived in town. From what I've seen a lot of the people I graduated with that are still around are all 'those' people in high school, if you know what I mean. Rather they are the entitled I'm rich because my daddy owns his own business, or those that had no ambition to do anything with their life. The main reason I am here is because I still work in town, and my family lives here. If not for working here I'd probably be close enough to be in Edmond schools, or in Edmond.

My opinion is that Yukon is probably worse. Growing up in the area I had lots of Yukon friends, and the drugs and pregnancy were just as bad as Mustang, if not worse on the drugs end. That coupled with all the corruption the school district itself has had the last few years, I'd avoid it.

Thank you Zuplar. I appreciate the well thought out response.

I will reiterate I am just expressing my opinion. That's it. But I am basing it based on several people I knew at OU who actually went through Mustang Schools for the majority of their lives and they all told me teen pregnancy and drug abuse were especially bad there.This was only 5 years ago FYI. I can't say I heard the same thing about Yukon but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen and I would take your word considering you grew up in that area. I think most parents in OK would faint at the amount of sex that goes on in school...doesn't this state rank #2 or #3 in teen births?

Your description of the town seems to mirror theirs as well. IMO Mustang has more in common with a small town in rural OK than it does the larger suburbs of OKC. That is not always a bad thing and I imagine a lot of people probably prefer it for that reason compared to Edmond, Norman, etc.

Again, not bashing the place. Met lots of good people from Mustang. Just giving my take based on my own ancedotal experiences.

OSUFan
06-16-2014, 09:50 AM
adaniel, your concerns are legitimate (as they would be with just about any school in OKC of comparable size). However, when you say don't send your kids to Mustang unless you want them to become addicted to Meth and pregnant it is hard to take that any other way than bashing.

PennyQuilts
06-16-2014, 10:37 AM
A lot of small towns have small town problems (meth and teen pregnancy). You get a different set of problems with urban schools. The thing I see in small towns are parents who are too trusting and let the kids run wild. If you keep an eye on your kids and get to know the families, a small town can put you well ahead of the game. I'd darn sure rather be faced with heightened risk of teen pregnancy (over which a family has far greater influence) than drive bys and other crime. Face it, that's why a lot of families stick to the suburbs - generally good schools, lower crime and lots of things to keep the kids busy.

PennyQuilts
06-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Btw, relocating teenagers is always risky business. In addition to finding good schools, be sure to scope out activities they can get involved in that suit their interests. If there is a school that looks like a particularly good fit, a rougher commute might be worth it. Good luck!

Zuplar
06-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Thank you Zuplar. I appreciate the well thought out response.

I will reiterate I am just expressing my opinion. That's it. But I am basing it based on several people I knew at OU who actually went through Mustang Schools for the majority of their lives and they all told me teen pregnancy and drug abuse were especially bad there.This was only 5 years ago FYI. I can't say I heard the same thing about Yukon but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen and I would take your word considering you grew up in that area. I think most parents in OK would faint at the amount of sex that goes on in school...doesn't this state rank #2 or #3 in teen births?

Your description of the town seems to mirror theirs as well. IMO Mustang has more in common with a small town in rural OK than it does the larger suburbs of OKC. That is not always a bad thing and I imagine a lot of people probably prefer it for that reason compared to Edmond, Norman, etc.

Again, not bashing the place. Met lots of good people from Mustang. Just giving my take based on my own ancedotal experiences.

I have no doubt you heard that from people that went through school here. Because of Mustang's proximity it is an odd melting pot. You get those that think it's a small town, and hate that we are this close to city folk. All the while you get city folk who can't stand the small town backwards feel that sometimes resonates here. So there is this internal tug of war at the image, something I don't feel like you get in Edmond, Moore or Norman. Towns like that know they are suburbs of OKC.

Like Penny said, Mustang is experiencing growth, which is going to start pushing that suburb mentality, sort of like it did for Yukon some years ago. But the good ole boy system is still extremely rampant here. My in-laws live in Pauls Valley and I see a lot of similarities between the 2 towns.

At the end of the day I wouldn't be afraid to raise my children in any of the major suburb districts, Mustang, Moore, Yukon, Edmond or Norman. I'd only consider Putnam City if it was feeding into the North high school. I'd consider Carl Albert if I was on the East side, but would probably steer clear of the other Mid-Del Schools.

I went to UCO for my undergrad, and we had a variety up there. Lots of Edmond kids naturally, but our fair share from the Moores, Norman, Yukon and Mustang. At the end of the day, I'd say we all had about the same experience in school, I think a lot of the difference in opinion comes from the town itself. Up until 5 years ago, if you wanted to do anything and lived in Mustang, you went to Yukon, which at the time I was in school didn't have much more, or some place like Norman or OKC. Since most kids aren't allowed to drive all that far when you are 16, kids get bored, and when they do get in trouble.

With that being said, I think any of the major districts coupled with good parenting will do an adequate job.

Bellaboo
06-16-2014, 11:45 AM

I don't know much about Moore schools. My house is located in the South Lakes, Brink Jr, Westmoore district. A few of my neighbors that have kids said they really enjoy the schools. Actually all of them moved there thinking it was Mustang schools only to find out later it was Westmoore, but in the end said they had a great experience and didn't regret it at all. I'd bet that where I live, Southwest of Will Rogers, would suit the OP criteria for travel. I'm a straight shot to I44 or even Airport road, and doesn't take me anytime to get downtown.

Not sure I'd call an FFA teacher charging more for a pig is crucifixious, but the administration trying to hide it from Randy Wright was. With this, at least it was exposed and taken care of. The problem with Mustang schools is a lot of students are coming from the large apartment complexes just South of I-40. This element will not change, which would cause me to avoid Mustang Schools, but if it did, there would be no problem with the Mustang School system.

ylouder
06-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Mustang is gross. Lots of meth, teen moms, and oilfield trash.

We personally chose to stay away from west okc after spending a couple of days driving around looking for homes.

It's just a weird side of town.

PennyQuilts
06-16-2014, 12:02 PM
The first two years I taught middle school I loved it. Fun kids, never worried about safety - just what I hoped/expected. The brattiest kid I had out of about 150 was this kiddo who actually put a tack in my chair and thought he was bad. So did his parents when they learned if it.

Over the summer between my second and third year, an apartment complex closed in another district and a lot of new kids moved to ours. Literally overnight, the whole thing went to hell. A long time popular teacher was assaulted in the hall, fights were breaking out, thefts and vandalism went through the roof and I even had a kid grab me in the hall. Several students (some old, some new) started taking up most of the time in class because they were picking up on the thug mentality and more interested in disrupting than learning. Borderline kids who had previously toed the line dove into the new normal with enthusuasm. Security began having a much higher profile and the drug dog started hanging out in the hall. One afternoon, I started locking my door during class for safety reasons. Didn't know what was going to come through the door. After about half a week of locking the door for safety reasons, the craziness of that mindset struck me. Within the week, the decision to get out of teaching was made. There's good schools and there's zoos. You want your kids in a place that is safe, where the good kids aren't under seige and where they have a chance to learn.

ylouder
06-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Personal experience in mustang. Old college friend bought a nice house of cemetery rd. They had a house warming party and during the middle of it huge black clouds started coming from the neighbors yard - which was a delapidated mobile home. His neighbor was high on meth and set a fire to 'get rid of leaves', it got out of control and he was out there trying to put it out with a water hose.

All within city limits and under a burn ban.

My friend no longer lives in mustang after 2 years of escalating events.

PennyQuilts
06-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Husband's family had kids, grand kids and great grand kids go through Mustang. Most still live there or nearby. With one or two minor exceptions, they've done well. Check out the average salary and education level and it stands up very well. The friend who moved next to a dilapidated mobile home, candidly, was set up for problems. I'd be more pursuaded if he was living next to a nice house.

RadicalModerate
06-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Please don't take this wrong, yet I think you left "in which" out of the thread title.
Public School Districts don't raise teenagers.
Families (especially parents) and Neighborhoods have a chance at so doing.
And even that statement isn't exactly correct.

I only say this because I worked at an education and training facility for "at-risk" youth for a number of years.
The youths that "slipped through the cracks" of regular, Public Education.

The job was rewarding and challenging.
Attempting to fix other peoples' mistakes usually is.

A teenager is essentially already raised . . . The challenge is to direct the individual in a positive direction in every sense of the word positive.
No Public School District can be expected to achieve that goal.
In fact, there is no 100% effective answer to the implied question posed.

Zuplar
06-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Personal experience in mustang. Old college friend bought a nice house of cemetery rd. They had a house warming party and during the middle of it huge black clouds started coming from the neighbors yard - which was a delapidated mobile home. His neighbor was high on meth and set a fire to 'get rid of leaves', it got out of control and he was out there trying to put it out with a water hose.

If their house was on Cemetery Road, they didn't live in Mustang city limits.

adaniel
06-16-2014, 01:23 PM
I have no doubt you heard that from people that went through school here. Because of Mustang's proximity it is an odd melting pot. You get those that think it's a small town, and hate that we are this close to city folk. All the while you get city folk who can't stand the small town backwards feel that sometimes resonates here. So there is this internal tug of war at the image, something I don't feel like you get in Edmond, Moore or Norman. Towns like that know they are suburbs of OKC.

Like Penny said, Mustang is experiencing growth, which is going to start pushing that suburb mentality, sort of like it did for Yukon some years ago. But the good ole boy system is still extremely rampant here. My in-laws live in Pauls Valley and I see a lot of similarities between the 2 towns.

I went to UCO for my undergrad, and we had a variety up there. Lots of Edmond kids naturally, but our fair share from the Moores, Norman, Yukon and Mustang. At the end of the day, I'd say we all had about the same experience in school, I think a lot of the difference in opinion comes from the town itself. Up until 5 years ago, if you wanted to do anything and lived in Mustang, you went to Yukon, which at the time I was in school didn't have much more, or some place like Norman or OKC. Since most kids aren't allowed to drive all that far when you are 16, kids get bored, and when they do get in trouble.

With that being said, I think any of the major districts coupled with good parenting will do an adequate job.

A lot of small towns have small town problems (meth and teen pregnancy). You get a different set of problems with urban schools. The thing I see in small towns are parents who are too trusting and let the kids run wild. If you keep an eye on your kids and get to know the families, a small town can put you well ahead of the game.

You all won't get any disagreement from me in regards to the bolded parts.

Unfortunately I see a lot of parents who think because they pay taxes, the schools should raise their kids and do all the hard stuff. And it transcends racial and socioeconomic lines.

If you think I am picking on Mustang, I'll point you to my old hometown in Texas. Very affluent suburb of Dallas that to this day has a SERIOUS drug problem; google Plano Texas Heroin. It was extremely bad when I was in middle school to the point we frequently made the national news. So I know how this stuff works. I of course never touched the stuff but to this day in my late 20's I am still asked about it.

And if Mustang is indeed growing, then a lot of this stuff will eventually go away. It wasn't that long ago that people said the same things about Moore, and look how much that place has changed.

Bellaboo
06-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Mustang is gross. Lots of meth, teen moms, and oilfield trash.

We personally chose to stay away from west okc after spending a couple of days driving around looking for homes.

It's just a weird side of town.

Eastern Canadian county has had one of the higher percentage growth rates for the metro. There are reasons why don't you think ?

warreng88
06-16-2014, 01:42 PM
What do your kids want to be involved in or what are they currently involved in? If they are involved in the arts in anyway, look at Classen SAS. If they are involved in sports, look at schools with good sports team and teachers as well. We live in Crestwood and plan on staying in OKC proper to raise our children. There are many good elementary schools in OKCPS but Middle and High Schools is where it gets tough. Classen SAS would be our preference but Dove Science Academy and Harding Prep would be great alternatives for OKCPS.

ylouder
06-16-2014, 02:45 PM
If their house was on Cemetery Road, they didn't live in Mustang city limits.

Mustang school district though.

ylouder
06-16-2014, 02:56 PM
Eastern Canadian county has had one of the higher percentage growth rates for the metro. There are reasons why don't you think ?

Cheap empty land.

We looked all over Yukon and mustang and the whole area feels like a amarillo. There were some decent new neighborhoods if you wanted a treeless lot that almost touching your neighbors house but once you leave the neighborhood it feels like your back at an amarillo truck stop.

Blanchard further away is really nice though.

PennyQuilts
06-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Cheap empty land.

We looked all over Yukon and mustang and the whole area feels like a amarillo. There were some decent new neighborhoods if you wanted a treeless lot that almost touching your neighbors house but once you leave the neighborhood it feels like your back at an amarillo truck stop.

Clearly, you dislike the area but this is about schools. Just for the record, a number of us who post regularly live in Mustang or right next to it. It really isn't hell. If you're looking in neighborhoods where houses are jammed up with no trees, that's gross, anywhere. I know quite a few people in the area with really nice places that cost more but that much more.

Zuplar
06-17-2014, 07:26 AM
Mustang school district though.

True, but you said within city limits, I just wanted to make sure you were aware the actual City of Mustang is only 12 square miles so the part you are referring too is actually Oklahoma City.

Cheap empty land.

How is Blachard nice? It's even more hick and redneck than Mustang. They got a couple nice neighborhoods, but if I remember right wasn't that where the 2 guys broke into a house with a single mom and she shot one of them, all over drugs? Point is crazy drug addicts live everywhere and places where there are more people means there is a higher probability those crazies live.

rezman
06-17-2014, 09:23 AM

Sounds more like bad neighbors. We had the same thing over in the eastern part of the county. Our neighbor was the guy who was recently in the news for animal cruelty after authorities found 30 dead animals on his property, and 40 more near death. That's just one of the reasons why we moved.

We were in a four corners situation. NE 164th by Choctaw Rd. We were in Oklahoma City with a Jones address, Luther school district, 911 was who ever got there first, which could have been Okc, Arcadia, Luther, or Okla County. Edmond was just on the north side of 164th.

By the way... Stay away from Luther schools.

ylouder
06-17-2014, 11:38 AM
I don't have a very favorable view of Yukon and mustang as places where good education is available. Most of the residents probably have less than a highschool diploma and are generally heavy blue collar outdoor workers or on welfare. The type that have bull testicles on the back of their trucks, park in their front yards, and are at the stop slights in town rolling coal (youtube it) in a beat up late model truck.

I'm there regularly for lunch (more in mustang) and it never fails, I always see 1 of those 3 things.

Norman, edmond, West or southmoore, shawnee, pc north, and Oakdale if you can afford a 500k house

OSUFan
06-17-2014, 12:05 PM
I don't have a very favorable view of Yukon and mustang as places where good education is available.

That is cool and all that you got that view from your extensive lunch research but it is far, far from the case.

adaniel
06-17-2014, 12:45 PM
I don't have a very favorable view of Yukon and mustang as places where good education is available. Most of the residents probably have less than a highschool diploma and are generally heavy blue collar outdoor workers or on welfare. The type that have bull testicles on the back of their trucks, park in their front yards, and are at the stop slights in town rolling coal (youtube it) in a beat up late model truck.

I'm there regularly for lunch (more in mustang) and it never fails, I always see 1 of those 3 things.

People do love their diesels out in Canadian County, I have an old coworker who lives in Westbury with a lifted F350 with a turbo and stack exhaust and I'm pretty sure he "rolls coal," which might just be the stupidest thing ever.

In Mustang's defense, this type of jackassery can be found in any blue collar suburb/exurb of OKC.

PennyQuilts
06-17-2014, 12:55 PM

Norman, edmond, West or southmoore, shawnee, pc north, and Oakdale if you can afford a 500k house

Omg - clearly, you haven't researched tbe demographics. Hint: It's a bedroom community. Most people are working elsewhere. And, really, what an elitist. Bet you hate the 99%.

PennyQuilts
06-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Mustang, Oklahoma Demographics - Income, Housing, Race, Business (http://www.biggestuscities.com/demographics/ok/mustang-city)

Zuplar
06-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Omg - clearly, you haven't researched tbe demographics. Hint: It's a bedroom community. Most people are working elsewhere. And, really, what an elitist. Bet you hate the 99%.

I got a feeling I know what kind of person they are and it's not the 1%. Clearly they are butthurt about some incident that happened long ago that they are oppressing.

Now show me on the doll where Mustang/Yukon touched you. lol.

PennyQuilts
06-17-2014, 01:06 PM
I got a feeling I know what kind of person they are and it's not the 1%. Clearly they are butthurt about some incident that happened long ago that they are oppressing.

Yeah, something. It sure isn't rational.

ylouder
06-17-2014, 02:28 PM

What's with the personal insults. Geesh.

Just telling about my own personal experience with the area.

If it matters years ago we looked around westberry (looked nice online), but when we drove there we found a falling apart club house and cars parked in the yard. We drove past the city dump to get there, a operating powerplant, the old lucent facility, auto scrap yard and recycling center, sand dredging operation and numerous truck stops and walk up motels. Outside of that it's just a bunch of gravel lots for oil field equipment. Didn't seem like a place for raising a family.

Now I do like the older part of yukon. There are some neat older houses there, but I kinda felt like the new developments weren't anything you couldn't easily find in North okc\ deer creek\ edmond. Just all nice homes but on small flat lots.

Pete
06-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Please people, try to be respectful to one another even if you disagree.

Zuplar
06-17-2014, 02:54 PM
What's with the personal insults. Geesh.

Just telling about my own personal experience with the area.

If it matters years ago we looked around westberry (looked nice online), but when we drove there we found a falling apart club house and cars parked in the yard. We drove past the city dump to get there, a operating powerplant, the old lucent facility, auto scrap yard and recycling center, sand dredging operation and numerous truck stops and walk up motels. Outside of that it's just a bunch of gravel lots for oil field equipment. Didn't seem like a place for raising a family.

Now I do like the older part of yukon. There are some neat older houses there, but I kinda felt like the new developments weren't anything you couldn't easily find in North okc\ deer creek\ edmond. Just all nice homes but on small flat lots.

Not sure where the insult is there. I found it to be fairly tame compared to the majority of forums I visit.

I guess what I don't get is anywhere in the city you will find similar issues that you have brought up. When I drive into Edmond I smell dogfood. I'd rather drive by a gravel lot with some oilfield equipment than have to smell that all the time. I understand bringing up these points to make someone aware, but insulting 2 towns and the people that live in and around them isn't even in the same park.

ylouder
06-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Penny that's good information but it doesn't really cover the school area. Just some old legacy farms and the walmart\lowes\ main drag of fast food placed. Like you said the actual town of Mustang is small and concentrated but it pulls from a large and very poor area. Just like yukon.

Zuplar
06-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Penny that's good information but it doesn't really cover the school area. Just some old legacy farms and the walmart\lowes\ main drag of fast food placed. Like you said the actual town of Mustang is small and concentrated but it pulls from a large and very poor area. Just like yukon.

What are these poor areas? I live close to Mustang. My zip is 73173, if you want to look it up. Does it qualify as a poor area?

okrednk
06-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Btw, relocating teenagers is always risky business. In addition to finding good schools, be sure to scope out activities they can get involved in that suit their interests. If there is a school that looks like a particularly good fit, a rougher commute might be worth it. Good luck!

Much appreciated to you and everyone who has provided advice. We are definitely considering Yukon, Mustang, West Moore, Norman, Newcastle school districts. Just wanted to get outsiders opinions about the issues. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

PennyQuilts
06-17-2014, 03:52 PM
We'll just have to disagree. Yes, it pulls from farmland, originally, and farmers often aren't wealthy. So what? I particularly enjoy the area because it's a nice mix of blue and white collar workers, farmers and professionals. That's America.

PennyQuilts
06-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Much appreciated to you and everyone who has provided advice. We are definitely considering Yukon, Mustang, West Moore, Norman, Newcastle school districts. Just wanted to get outsiders opinions about the issues. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.
This is secondhand so take it for what it is worth - a friend of mine in Newcastle schools has a never ending list of horror stories. According to her, lots of bullying, poorly managed school and, allegedly, a lot of good parents have yanked out their kids. Maybe someone from there can chime in with first hand experience.

OSUFan
06-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Never mind. Pointless.

Bellaboo
06-18-2014, 06:40 AM

Wrong. One of the richest men in the state lives in Yukon in a 32,000 sq foot home....(Palace)
My guess is that you really haven't been in Yukon. What you don't realize is that there are no slums in Yukon. And the schools are in the upper percentile for the metro.
You've lost all credibility my friend.

I'll go out on a limb here, but I personally know 18 millionaires in my addition in Yukon. But on the other hand, a million bucks isn't what it used to be either.

ylouder
06-18-2014, 08:09 PM
I guess your referring to the sprawling express personnel ranch owned by funk. This working ranch fits into the description of what I said about legacy farms in the area. I'm sure his multi millionare income helps the demographic wage of the area but has little to do with the schools...

Or the poor overall performance of the students in comparison to other suburb and city schools.

I was in yukon a few months back at the outlet mall and we at the green chili kitchen before coming home. food was OK but I doubt we'll be back any time soon

ljbab728
06-18-2014, 09:09 PM
I guess your referring to the sprawling express personnel ranch owned by funk. This working ranch fits into the description of what I said about legacy farms in the area. I'm sure his multi millionare income helps the demographic wage of the area but has little to do with the schools...

Or the poor overall performance of the students in comparison to other suburb and city schools.

I was in yukon a few months back at the outlet mall and we at the green chili kitchen before coming home. food was OK but I doubt we'll be back any time soon

If you were at the outlet mall you weren't in Yukon. That is in OKC about 2 1/2 miles from the nearest part of the Yukon city limits.

ylouder
06-19-2014, 03:28 AM
If you were at the outlet mall you weren't in Yukon. That is in OKC about 2 1/2 miles from the nearest part of the Yukon city limits.

You completely omitted that I said I was at a restaurant off route 66 in the heart of yukon a few words later.

Zuplar
06-19-2014, 06:53 AM
You completely omitted that I said I was at a restaurant off route 66 in the heart of yukon a few words later.

I think his point is you seem to be getting parts of West OKC confused with Mustang and Yukon. And this time the area surround the outlet mall is not Yukon schools, they are Western Heights.

Bellaboo
06-19-2014, 07:14 AM
Everything South of I-40 is OKC city limits and the majority is Mustang Schools. Everything East of Mustang Road up to Vandament (23rd) is OKC city limits.

Like I said, he's lost all credibility with me. I won't read anymore of his foolishness.

PennyQuilts
06-19-2014, 08:22 AM
I thought Mustang schools went to County line? Mustang Road pretty much splits Mustang. Do you mean north of the city limits?

PennyQuilts
06-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Mustang Education Ctr Mustang, OK School Boundaries Map & School Profile (http://oklahoma.hometownlocator.com/schools/profiles,n,mustang%20education%20ctr,z,73064,t,pb, i,1092401.cfm)

I think this link has a map in it.

Bellaboo
06-19-2014, 09:24 AM
I thought Mustang schools went to County line? Mustang Road pretty much splits Mustang. Do you mean north of the city limits?

I re-stated OKC as referencing city limits. Sorry.