Restaurants

Current

no

Address: 5900 Mosteller Dr.
Phone: (405) 607-4360
Hours:
Development: Founders Tower
Links:
Menu (http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/restaurants-bars/8141d1402599004-george-georgemenu.jpg)
Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/thegeorgeokc)
Urban Spoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/1778892/restaurant/Suburban-Northside/The-George-Prime-Steakhouse-Oklahoma-City)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/georgewiki1.jpg

Information & Latest News
6/12/14: George to finally open on June 20th (http://newsok.com/article/4903717)
Gallery

HOT ROD
05-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Aka Eagle's Nest during the late 1980's-1990's

Pete
05-05-2006, 04:19 PM
http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/chandelle.jpg

writerranger
05-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Nice find, Malibu! That looks like around the days when it was actually a private dinner club for awhile. You had to be a member or use a guest pass. The Chandelle Club was considered very upscale!

bluedogok
01-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Most of our downtown condo projects here in Austin that were not already started have been stopped and there are some rumblings that a few of the ones under construction may go rental if the contracts to buy are unable to get financing.

The Eagle's Nest is what I always knew it as before Nikz. My dad worked in that building when we first moved to OKC in 1964.

metro
01-21-2009, 03:22 PM
and Nikz is now OPUS up on Memorial Rd.

ksearls
01-21-2009, 03:37 PM
It was the Chandelle Club.

Martin
01-21-2009, 03:44 PM
^
you are totally right... i remember a gallery pic hanging around somewhere on this site that shows exactly that.

-M

edit: found it. here's the pic pete posted in the gallery...

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/515/1190chandelle.jpg

Pete
08-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Building permit today for the 20th floor restaurant.

Looks like this may be re-opening soon. Anybody have an idea as to the operator?

jbkrems
08-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Yes, there WILL be a restaurant in Founders Tower. I heard from a VERY reliable source that Deep Fork Group will be opening a restaurant in Founders Tower in the near future, along with its OTHER new restaurant in Tower Theater.

BoulderSooner
09-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Stilled restaurant space will turn again atop Oklahoma City's Founders Tower
The Deep Fork Group, owner of several popular Oklahoma City restaurants, will operate the Chandelle Room on the landmark Founders Tower's 20th floor.

FROM STAFF REPORTS Oklahoman Comment on this article 0
Published: September 2, 2011

Founders Tower's revolving but stilled top floor will soon turn again.

The owners are turning the 20th floor, vacant since upscale restaurant Nikz at the Top closed in March 2007, into an event space called the Chandelle Room and have partnered with Deep Fork Group as full-service caterer, the condo tower's Tulsa-based managers said Thursday.

Read more: http://newsok.com/stilled-restaurant-space-will-turn-again-atop-oklahoma-citys-founders-tower/article/3600290#ixzz1WlJRnXxq

Dustin
09-01-2011, 09:31 PM
I remember eating there for my 13th birthday! My first day as a teenager was AWESOME! So glad it'll be turning again!

OkieDave
09-01-2011, 10:09 PM
I remember the views from the restaurant (30 years ago), great views.

MikeOKC
09-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Well....they kept that quiet. This will be a huge hit - no doubt in my mind. Using the old "Chandelle" name seems brilliant to me. That means the normally quiet lobby will be getting quite lively into the evening hours. I had some questions by email from some posters asking about Founders and all I can say is it's a great place to live. I would have never considered the old '360' that Jim Meyer was running. But with the Kelly's allowing Petrous to run a tight ship (with a smile) it's wonderful. I hope Deep Fork has great success with this new venture. Exciting.

MikeOKC
09-01-2011, 10:24 PM
The discussion is now going in two threads - this and the 'Founders Tower' thread. Great, great move by Deep Fork!

MustangGT
09-02-2011, 08:49 AM
The article said that they would be catering events at the location. Does that mean they wil not be updating and using the kitchen at the facility and cook it elsewhere and bring it in? I hope not. I hope they renovate the kitchen so that when it becomes successful it will be a 6 or 7 day a week full restaurant again.

Pete
09-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Mustang, I think they just meant that four days a week the space will be used as an open restaurant/bar and the other nights will be for private events.

So, I'm sure the kitchen will be updated and they'll do all the cooking on-site and may even cater some off-site events.

MustangGT
09-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Pete I hope your correct.

kevinpate
09-02-2011, 12:05 PM
fwiw, I read it the same way Pete did. 4 nights public access, 3 nights for various event invitees only.

Larry OKC
09-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Is the rotational part still functional? While the food was tasty at the Eagles nest, the changing view and the fact that you may not be able to go out the same way you came in was kewl.

MustangGT
09-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Larry the last years of when Nik's was there the rotational mechanism was non-functional everytime I was there. The maitre' de told me it had been busted for "quite some time". It will be a nice spot for dinner w/o out the rotation but to be really spectacular it has got to rotate. That was its cache as the food was good but not that good w/o the changing view.

Pete
09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
This promotional flyer was advertising the "fully rotational floor" and I'm sure the new landlords are committed to getting it up and running:

http://founderstower.com/images/stories/pdfs/3.pdf

MustangGT
09-02-2011, 03:01 PM
I hope they keep their word. Occasionaaly what is stated in promotional literature does not come to fruition. Don't tell me what you are going to do, prove it by showing me what you have actually done.

Skyline
09-02-2011, 07:46 PM
How many cities have a rotating penthouse floor or high rise restaurant that will rotate like this one?

MustangGT
09-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Right off the top of my head the only one I am aware of is L'Astral atop the Lowes Hotel in Quebec City, Quebec Canada. If you check Revolving Restaurants on Wikipedia there appears to be quite a few worlwide.

betts
09-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Wasn't there one in Dallas called Zodiac, or something like that?

bluedogok
09-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Reunion Tower had one for awhile called Anatares or something like that. The Tower of the Americas (the old Hemisfair Tower) in San Antonio has one, it is now a Chart House restaurant up there.

MDot
09-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Reunion Tower had one for awhile called Anatares or something like that. The Tower of the Americas (the old Hemisfair Tower) in San Antonio has one, it is now a Chart House restaurant up there.

I had just come to this thread to post about The Towers of the Americas. Was up there about 2 years ago and the view was incredible, although when it's facing the East it's not very pretty, but still a very incredible view of San Antonio.

khook
09-03-2011, 12:33 AM
theres one in Vancouver

Larry OKC
09-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Then there is the Top of the World at the Stratosphere in Vegas (800+ ft above the Strip, complete revolution every 80 minutes)

BoulderSooner
09-06-2011, 10:19 AM
the hyatt in downtown phoenix has a very nice rotating restaurant on top

Pete
09-06-2011, 10:40 AM
According to Wikipedia, there are a ton of revolving restaurants in the U.S., though many have closed:

Alabama
The Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa, Florence

Arizona
Compass Restaurant, Hyatt Regency Phoenix, Phoenix, Arizona

California
BonaVista Lounge, Westin Bonaventure Hotel, Los Angeles, California
Revolving Restaurant, Renaissance Hotel Hollywood (closed)
Equinox, Hyatt Regency, San Francisco, California - No longer rotating.
Revolving Restaurant, Sheraton Hotel, Macy's Plaza, Los Angeles (closed)
Revolving Restaurant, Theme Building, Los Angeles - No longer rotating.
Top of the Harbor Restaurant, Crowne Plaza, Ventura (closed)

Connecticut
Vuli Restaurant, Stamford (Closed since 2007)

Florida
Holiday Inn, Destin (closed)
Garden Grill, Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort, Lake Buena Vista
Revolving Restaurant, JEA Tower Jacksonville (closed)
The View at CK's, Tampa
Grand Plaza Hotel & Resort, Spinners overlooking the Gulf of Mexico, St. Petersburg
Hyatt Pier 66 in Ft. Lauderdale, Pier Top Restaurant (for Sunday brunch and special occasions only)

Georgia
Polaris, Hyatt Regency Atlanta, Atlanta (Closed since 2004)
Sun Dial, Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel, Atlanta

Hawaii
Top of Waikiki, Honolulu
La Ronde Restaurant, Ala Moana Building, Honolulu (closed) first revolving restaurant, predating the SkyCity "Eye of the Needle"

Illinois
Ventana's, Rosemont (closed to the public; only open for receptions, parties, etc.)
The Pinnacle Revolving Restaurant, W Holtel Chicago (closed)

Indiana
Eagle's Nest, Hyatt Regency Indianapolis, Indianapolis

Kentucky
Galt House, Louisville (dual revolving floorplates)
360 Restaurant, Radisson Hotel Cincinnati Waterfront, Covington
Spire, Hyatt Regency Louisville, Louisville (only used for special events/receptions since 2007—not open to the public)

Louisiana
Club 360, World Trade Center New Orleans (closed since Hurricane Katrina -- not planning to reopen)
Top of the Dome, Hyatt Regency New Orleans, Poydras, New Orleans (closed after Hurricane Katrina)

Maryland
(1964) The Circle One opened atop the Holiday Inn Downtown on Lombard and Howard streets. Diners had a panoramic view of the skyline as the restaurant made a complete revolution each hour. The restaurant closed in 1974.

Massachusetts
Spinnakers, Hyatt Regency Cambridge (permanently closed)

Michigan
Coach Insignia, Renaissance Center, Detroit (This restaurant stopped revolving in 2002.)
Hyatt Regency Dearborn
Rondeview, Holiday Inn, Southfield (closed 1986)

Minnesota
Revolving Restaurant, Wells Fargo Tower, Bloomington (closed)
Top of the Harbor Restaurant, Radisson Hotel Duluth Harborview, Duluth
Carousel Restaurant, St. Paul (closed as of July 2007)

Missouri
Skies Restaurant & Lounge, Hyatt Regency Crown Center, Kansas City, Missouri
Top of the Riverfront, Millennium Hotel, St. Louis, Missouri

Nevada
Top of the World, Stratosphere, Las Vegas

New York
The View, New York Marriott Marquis Times Square, New York City
Changing Scene, First Federal Plaza, Rochester(closed)

Ohio
Ventana's, Millennium Hotel, Cincinnati (no longer open to the public; calls itself a "revolving reception venue")

Oklahoma
Nikz at the Top, United Founders Tower, Oklahoma City (closed)

South Carolina
Top of Carolina, University of South Carolina, Columbia

Pennsylvania
Revolving Restaurant, Crowne Plaza Hotel Harrisburg (closed)

Tennessee
Sunsphere, Knoxville, Tennessee
Polaris, Sheraton, Nashville, Tennessee (closed)
Top of the 100, 100 North Main Building, Memphis (closed)
Revolving Restaurant, White Station Tower, Memphis (closed)

Texas
Antares, Reunion Tower, Dallas (major remodel that took more than a year; renamed 560 in 2009 when opened again by Wolfgang Puck)
Tower of the Americas, San Antonio
Marriott Hotel, George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Houston
Spindletop, Hyatt Regency Hotel, Houston (closed in 2008 because of Hurricane Ike, but reopened in October of 2010)

jn1780
09-06-2011, 11:55 PM
I wonder if their completely restoring the rotating infrastructure. The revolving aspect is the main selling point of a restaurant on top of founders. Hate to see it not working half the time.

kevinpate
09-07-2011, 12:10 AM
If it doesn't revolve its just a nice restaurant on top of a 275ft building that you have to go through the trouble of taking an elevator just to get to.

I am hopeful the outer ring will revolve again, but if not, so long as the food is good, it'll still be a nice view, albeit unchanging.
The view from the Devon eatery though will put it to shame. How nice to soon be able to decide do we want dinner on the ground, beneath the low clouds, or slightly above them?

Larry OKC
09-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Climbing the equivalent flights of stairs I could understand, but going "through the trouble of taking an elevator". Really?

RadicalModerate
09-08-2011, 01:17 AM
Somehow, I get the feeling that there is a common misconception that "the restaraunt" actually "revolves" . . .
It does not. (Except in terms of "ownership")

In reality, you dine at a table on a slow moving carousel situated next to the windows.
(Which is more than cool enough! BTW =)

The quality of the food and service make all the difference.
Chandelaque (or whatever) was before my time (in OK)
So was The Eagles Nest.
Nikz (at The Top) was GREAT.
Deep Fork . . . Maybe even better.

BrendaT
09-08-2011, 09:46 AM
It looks like they've poured a lot of money into renovating the place. I'm sure the restaurant will revolve like it did before. I'd love to take a tour of the condos.

Larry OKC
09-08-2011, 11:23 AM
RM: You are correct, the kitchen does not rotate and only part of the dining area revolves. You got my attention with "Chandelaque" Lake is the name of the apt complex across the street from Deaconess Hospital (supposedly French for Candle, what the "lake" is actually named...really it is the size of a pond).

Pete
01-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Application for a liquor permit for Founder's Steakhouse on the 20th floor of this project.

There was talk of Deep Fork operating a restaurant up there some time ago, and don't know if they are part of this new enterprise.

Whoever the operator, hope that floor is spinning again soon!

bchris02
01-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Application for a liquor permit for Founder's Steakhouse on the 20th floor of this project.

There was talk of Deep Fork operating a restaurant up there some time ago, and don't know if they are part of this new enterprise.

Awesome news! I am imagining it will offer a spectacular view of the cityscape and of the downtown skyline.

As for not being as walkable, I am all for more walkability and love the strides OKC is making towards this downtown, but that isn't everybody's priority. The NW Expressway corridor reminds me of a small version of Westheimer in Houston. Development there is a good thing in my opinion.

kevinpate
01-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Awesome news! I am imagining it will offer a spectacular view of the cityscape and of the downtown skyline.

Memories of the view from its Eagle's Nest days ... ahhhhhhhh. Yeah, color me happy if this opens again.

HOT ROD
01-21-2013, 11:01 PM
yep, I used to work at the Nest back in the day. Glad to see OKC getting its revolving restaurant back.

LakeEffect
01-22-2013, 09:22 AM

The applicant's name is listed as Kevin George (former planning commissioner). I believe he's owner/part-owner of Interurban. Not sure what else... Don't think Deep Fork though.

Pete
02-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Here are the renderings as part of the Founders Steakhouse liquor license application.

It looks like the plan is to have the outer ring of seating to rotate as it did in days gone by:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/founderssh1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/founderssh2.jpg

OKCisOK4me
02-08-2013, 06:59 PM
^^^like^^^

ChaseDweller
02-12-2013, 08:57 AM
I remember it as the Chandelle Club back in the 60s when I was a kid. I hope the food is good, because the views of the city and the lake (currently a mud pit, but you know what I mean) are spectacular.

BoulderSooner
03-12-2013, 01:43 PM
ABC overly passed for this restaurant at council today .... operator said that the outside ring will rotate but they may not use it very much

GaryOKC6
03-12-2013, 05:29 PM
I believe that Interurban will operate this. Same as packards

bombermwc
03-13-2013, 06:52 AM
Interurban huh? Well that means it will be open for a few years, then they will close it with no explanation. The absolute worst metro restraunteurs....

HangryHippo
03-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Interurban huh? Well that means it will be open for a few years, then they will close it with no explanation. The absolute worst metro restraunteurs....

Let's hope this isn't the case for Packard's...

PhiAlpha
03-13-2013, 08:36 AM

A) The Interurban guys are pretty tied up with Packard right now. I have several friends, that i communicate with on a daily basis, who are very involved with opening it and i haven't heard anything about this yet. It may be them, but given the prime location it seems odd that none of them have brought it up when I've been over there.

B) which restaurants are you referring to? The only IU that's closed in the last few years, operated by the IU group was on I240 in a space that three other restaurants have failed in. The downtown location that closed a few hears ago was a franchise. Several closed in the 80s and 90s due to the oil bust but that was hardly their fault. The Yukon, NW side, and new Norman restaurnts have been around for at least 5-8 years and the Edmond and Ardmore restaurnts have been open as long as I can remember. Also Los Cabos in Tulsa has been very successful. They are hardly the worst restaurant group in the metro.

C) Since when has any restaurant given a reason for closing? Most just up and disappear over night. Almost always it's for the same reason, the profit or lack there of didn't justify keeping them open so the owners cut their losses.

D) The food and drinks at Packard are going to be awesome. It should be pretty successful especially when it starts serving brunch on weekends.

CuatrodeMayo
03-13-2013, 09:57 AM
B) which restaurants are you referring to? I think he is referring to the Interurban that opened in MWC then closed a short time later.

PhiAlpha
03-13-2013, 10:26 AM
I think he is referring to the Interurban that opened in MWC then closed a short time later.

Ah, explains why I never knew it was there... Oh well, can't win 'em all. His statment was still a gross over generalization.

ljbab728
03-13-2013, 11:46 PM
New steakhouse on tap for Founders Tower | NewsOK Videos (http://newsok.com/new-steakhouse-on-tap-for-founders-tower/multimedia/video/2221856380001)

PhiAlpha
03-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Run by the interurban restaurant group or Kevin George by himself? He is a silent partner in the Interurban group.

Pete
03-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Run by the interurban restaurant group or Kevin George by himself? He is a silent partner in the Interurban group.

Sounds like this is Kevin George project alone.

Here are some screen captures from the Oklahoman video:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/founderssteak1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/founderssteak2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/founderssteak3.jpg

PhiAlpha
03-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Sounds like this is Kevin George project alone.

Confirmed that he is going it alone on this project. The Interurban group isn't involved.

Larry OKC
03-21-2013, 11:27 AM
The renderings Pete posted clearly show tables for 4 along the outer ring...and if it is to scale, the tables only take up about half of the available width...which goes against what he said in the article:
Steakhouse planned for top of Oklahoma City's Founders Tower | News OK (http://newsok.com/steakhouse-planned-for-top-of-oklahoma-citys-founders-tower/article/3765149)

Although the restaurant's rotating track — powered by 10 motors hidden under the floorboards — is still functional, George said he doesn't plan to use it much.
There's just not enough room on the narrow track for a table large enough to accommodate comfortably four diners at once, he said.

The rotating outer ring is one of the main advantages to this space...be a shame not to utilize it.

Eddie1
03-21-2013, 01:20 PM
I agree, I think this would be a lost opportunity to abandon the rotating aspect of the space.

Pete
03-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Anybody know how long it takes for that floor to make a complete revolution?

I know it moves very slowly... Perhaps an hour or so to make a full lap?