View Full Version : Galleria Parking Garage

Patrick
09-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Hey everyone, as has been mentioned before, Downtown Now has an online survey to rename the Galleria Parking Garage. The link is: http://www.downtownokc.com/garage_survey.php

I encourage everyone to vote!!

Anyone have any more ideas for names?

I was thinking maybe the Renaissance Garage!

Hmmmmm.....what about the Gaylord Family Garage? Just kidding! :D

Luke
09-07-2004, 10:01 PM
What is the big deal about this garage? Maybe I'm missing something, but do they think that this garage is going to be some sort of attraction? Other than cars, what is going to be in this garage? What are they trying to accomplish by appealing to us for naming it? If its just to be able to say, "Hey my suggestion made it!" Then cool. But, is this anything other than a garage?

Gosh, i'm not trying to sound rude. Heh heh. It just seems like much ado about nothing (much).

Anybody know what i'm trying to say?

Patrick
09-07-2004, 10:12 PM
I can definitely see it from your side. It is just a garage. And it probably tells you something about our city when we put this much emphasis into naming a new garage.

But, this garage will be one of the nicest downtown. The pics look fabulous. And, with the Renaissance going on downtown, I think our city leaders are just enthused about trying to forget about our past failures.

Also, letting citizens name structures seems to build more awareness....maybe if people feel connected to the new garage in some way, they'll start parking there and walk into Bricktown insteadof complaining about Bricktown parking.........................okay, probably not, but wishful thinking anyhow.

floater, you have any ideas why our city is making such a big deal out of this? And what are your thoughts on how our city is dealing with this?

HOT ROD
09-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Patrick:

I think you said it, the city is excited about the renaissance as much as we are; they want us to be part of it. You are correct, the garage will be the nicest - and in-itself may become sort-of an attraction - as it will have new architecture not seen downtown.

Luke is right in that it is just a garage, but the garage is in downtown - in the midst of a 12+ year Renaissance! I think it is great that they allow us to suggest/vote. After all, it is our tax dollars going into it (well, yours) and how often do citizens really get to have a say on any public works projects?

Keep it up Downtown Oklahoma City!!!!! I can't wait to visit again!!!

And yes, I will visit and park in the garage - especially if it is called City Centre (my vote). :D

floater
09-08-2004, 07:16 AM
I don't know any more than you guys, but Hot Rod hit in on the head -- it helps residents feel connected to downtown. If we can get people to look at downtown not as consumers but as citizens and partners, this spirit of renaissance will snowball. When it does, you'll see more investors, businesses, residents, and local visitors than ever before.

That's why I applaud these gestures to get the public involved -- such as Bricktown's brick sponsor program. Also, I believe Downtown OKC will eventually host a graphic design competition to design the permanent logo for the arts district. If people invest their time (if not their $$) into downtown, it becomes a healthy place because, unlike the trendiest retail stores, they'll feel an attachment and loyalty to it.

By the way, I voted for my earlier suggestion -- the Festival Garage. Yeah, it's a just garage, but it's a happy-looking garage!! :)

mranderson
09-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Sorry guys. City Center(e) is quite drab.

The name of the garage should reflect the new Oklahoma City and be unique. City Center (no matter how you spell it) is used all over the country and is passe'.

I suggested "Park n' walk." others would be Oklahoma City Centennial Garage, Bricktown Garage, or Renaissance Garage.

Patrick
09-08-2004, 04:18 PM
mranderson, you're probably right. At first I liked City Center Garage, but now I think it sounds to bland. I think I'm going to put in a write in suggestion for Renaissance Garage, although Festival Garage doesn't sound too bad either.......afterall, the largest festival of them all, the Arts Festival, is right across the street. Maybe we could get even more festivals at the Myriad Gardens.

swake
09-09-2004, 09:01 AM
How about the OKC Auto Hotel?

I park in the Tulsa Auto hotel which is a block from the KC auto hotel in Tulsa. Just odd names for garages. Tulsa also has a garage that opened just last month. No clue what it is called, wasn’t an issue.

Patrick
09-09-2004, 08:28 PM
"No clue what it is called, wasn’t an issue."

It wasn't an issue because at the current time Tulsa just isn't really excited about their downtown area. Vision 2025 could change that, but unfortunately, from the talk on Tulsanow, it sure doesn't appear that way right now.