View Full Version : Favorite urban legends and theories of real and imagined folk lore

Prunepicker
06-06-2014, 05:20 PM
I've been a fan of the disappearance of Judge Crater.

Joseph Force Crater (January 5, 1889 – disappeared August 6, 1930)
was a 41-year-old New York City judge who vanished while out on a
night on the town. He was last seen walking down West 45th Street,
and entered popular culture of the 1930s as the "The Missingest Man
in New York." Despite massive publicity, no trace of him was ever
found, and nine years later he was legally presumed dead. The
disappearance added to public disquiet about corruption in city
government and was a factor in the downfall of the Tammany Hall
political machine.

Joseph Force Crater becomes the missingest man in New York ? History.com This Day in History ? 8/6/1930 (http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/joseph-force-crater-becomes-the-missingest-man-in-new-york)

How about you?

Achilleslastand
06-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Jimmy Hoffa....
Heard he was dipped in a vat of acid as opposed to being buried in a football field.

The family that disappeared at Lake Hefner I believe at the duck pond{not sure?} and decades later they were found.

The family of 3 that vanished around Lake Eufaula in late 2009. The skeletal remains of 3 people were found around that same area late last year and to my knowledge haven't been identified yet.

Jim Kyle
06-06-2014, 11:01 PM
The family that disappeared at Lake Hefner I believe at the duck pond{not sure?} and decades later they were found.It was a woman and her daughter, not the entire family, and it happened about November 21, 1963. Events the next day shoved it off the table. When the Parkway was built, the duck pond was partially drained and the car was recovered with their skeletal remains inside.

Achilleslastand
06-06-2014, 11:35 PM
How long was it from disapearence until discovery?

RadicalModerate
06-07-2014, 07:22 AM
Jimmy Hoffa....
Heard he was dipped in a vat of acid as opposed to being buried in a football field.

We once did a remodeling job on a local, former residence converting it to office space. It had an old fashioned, in-ground, hot tub in the back that we had to fill in before framing and decking a floor over the old concrete patio. Before it set, I wrote: "RIP Jimmy Hoffa" in the concrete. I was thinking that a few decades from now, when the house is razed, someone would spend some time carefully jackhammering out the concrete to dispel any rumors and remove any doubt.

Achilleslastand
06-07-2014, 10:23 AM
We once did a remodeling job on a local, former residence converting it to office space. It had an old fashioned, in-ground, hot tub in the back that we had to fill in before framing and decking a floor over the old concrete patio. Before it set, I wrote: "RIP Jimmy Hoffa" in the concrete. I was thinking that a few decades from now, when the house is razed, someone would spend some time carefully jackhammering out the concrete to dispel any rumors and remove any doubt.

LOL good one............

Bellaboo
06-07-2014, 10:52 AM
How long was it from disapearence until discovery?

From 1963, the day before Kennedy was shot, until they started construction of the Lake Hefner Parkway. That's when they drained the duck pond. Not sure what year it was but probably 15 or so years ago ?

Urbanized
06-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Believe it or not closer to 25. It was around 1990. They also found evidence mom may have been driving drunk.

Urbanized
06-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Once again my long-term memory proves to be like a steel trap. Related note, short-term memory: not so much.

Car Find May Close 27-Year-Old Case | News OK (http://newsok.com/car-find-may-close-27-year-old-case/article/2314667)

Achilleslastand
06-08-2014, 03:05 PM
So in relation to the dog park and the body of water north of it where was the duck pond located? I should know after countless trips there as a kid but my bearing are out of whack.

RadicalModerate
06-08-2014, 05:38 PM
It's over there on the east side of The Development--including a friggin' "Louies" (fer cryin' out loud)--that messed up the kite-flying venue and allowed the development of the now-closed Bahama Breeze.

Jim Kyle
06-08-2014, 09:10 PM
You can still see it from the bridge over the parkway, on Grand Blvd. It apparently filled back with water after the parkway was built.

RadicalModerate
06-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Thanks, Jim. In my mind, I had it much further to the north.
I sit corrected.

(p.s.: Most of the time when coming back to the house, from further west OKC, I like to take Grand Blvd. on the south side of the lake. It's a nice, relaxing 15 minute drive. So I know exactly the spot to which you referred.)

Achilleslastand
06-09-2014, 10:31 AM
So its the very small pond west of the hwy just directly north of grand I assume? If so its hard to recognize due to all the surrounding trees/foliage/cottonmouths.

RadicalModerate
06-09-2014, 10:41 AM
"cottonmouths" . . . eeeeeuuuuu . . . (cringe) =)
(sounds like that's The Mystery (solved) Spot.)

Cottonmouths makes the whole thing even creepier than it was already.
Yet, technically isn't this more of a Rural or Suburban, rather than Urban, legend?

I accidentally stumbled across this person's work the other day.
I find this vid--and the rest of them in his or her collection--fascinating.
He or she has many dozens of productions similar to this.
Zs7SQ8LCZQQ

If a link to the rest of the collection isn't easily apparent, simply do a Google Search for Fairfax, Oklahoma and look for the Youtube link involving "Oklahoma Ghost Towns". Then start inventing Urban Legends. =)

btw: There's a "Haunted Bridge" out there by Jones, on Anderson, just north of Britton Road.
I know this because a guy I once worked with told me so. And he sounded serious.

Jim Kyle
06-09-2014, 11:32 AM
So its the very small pond west of the hwy just directly north of grand I assume? If so its hard to recognize due to all the surrounding trees/foliage/cottonmouths.No, it's to the east of the highway. You need to be eastbound on Grand to see it, and even then you get only a glimpse. I first located it on a Google aerial view of the area, and then looked the next time I drove across the bridge.

RadicalModerate
06-09-2014, 11:47 AM
I wonder if the last thought that the ladies in the car had was: "I wish there was a proper bridge out here in the sticks rather than this pesky curve . . . a freeway might be nice." And then, The Mothman jumped out in front of them and they swerved . . . into Eternity. And a pond. (with cottonmouths . . . and TURTLES!)

Achilleslastand
06-09-2014, 01:09 PM
No, it's to the east of the highway. You need to be eastbound on Grand to see it, and even then you get only a glimpse. I first located it on a Google aerial view of the area, and then looked the next time I drove across the bridge.

Ok now I am really confused....
I travel that route almost every day and have no clue what you are talking about.

Is it the body of water that sits right behind the dog park? Or the bigger body of water that is actually north of Wilshire?

RadicalModerate
06-09-2014, 01:48 PM
(what used to be) Grand Boulevard.
Nice Drive. Relaxing . . . Yet somehow . . . spooky.
Look to the right as you cross the freeway from the west. =)
Near The Dog Park.

(Most dogs don't like the stickers or having to drag out their credit card to park. so be prepared.)

Zuplar
06-09-2014, 02:19 PM

Achilleslastand
06-09-2014, 02:32 PM
(what used to be) Grand Boulevard.
Nice Drive. Relaxing . . . Yet somehow . . . spooky.
Look to the right as you cross the freeway from the west. =)
Near The Dog Park.

(Most dogs don't like the stickers or having to drag out their credit card to park. so be prepared.)

Wait a sec....
If im coming from the west and look right at the hwy I will be looking on the south side of Grand and the dog park is on the north side of grand.

Now im baffled

Jim Kyle
06-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Yep; look to the left. It's directly across the parkway from that little body of water just east of the dog park, and if you blink you'll probably miss it. In fact now that the trees have grown their leaves for the year it might be completely hidden by them! Pull up a Google map of that area and you should see it clearly on the "satellite view" once you get to high enough magnification.

Achilleslastand
06-09-2014, 08:37 PM
OK if there is one thing I do before I die is going to find the exact location.
Google Map of Oklahoma City, United States of America - Nations Online Project (http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/map/google_map_Oklahoma_City.htm)

North of Lake Hefner Pk and south of Elmwood Ave?

Jim Kyle
06-09-2014, 10:32 PM
That's it!

Achilleslastand
06-09-2014, 10:57 PM
That's it!

Sweet!
Thanks....

The little creek that connected it and the larger body of water wasnt there back in the day