View Full Version : Bee Sting....What should I do?

samok10
08-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Yesterday I was stung by a bee....it still hurts today and has a knot under the skin. Any ideas on what I can do to get rid of the hurt?

boat49
08-17-2005, 10:14 PM
First, where is the sting? I can only go, on what mom used to tell other people since I have never experienced being stung, atleast by insects!. She always said baking soda is good for it. Dampen the area then put some on and it takes the sting right out. If not DRINK for 2 days non stop. After the hangover has subsided, the sting will no longer be an issue!!............my 2 cents

samok10
08-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Hmmmm......well the simple answer is that the bee sting is on my left breast (and yes, I'm a girl). Thanks for the baking soda suggestion. I'm willing to try anything (almost).

MadMonk
08-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Not to alarm you or anything, but there was a man in the area that recently died as a result of a yellow-jacket sting (on his forehead). He had been stung once some months before with some swelling. He had an allergic reaction and apparently such reactions worsen with each subsequent sting. Maybe contacting your doctor is the best advice.

boat49
08-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Ok, I'm sure I'm one of several here that want to know....how do you get stung on your breast????? There has to be a story here!!! In the mean time....I would forget the baking soda and do straight to the drinking!!

samok10
08-17-2005, 10:24 PM
I'll only tell the story if someone else wants to hear it! I'm sure things like this happen to people all the time!

Jay
08-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Do tell that is what were all about here we share crazy stories all the time.

You have been stung by a bee, wasp, hornet, or yellow jacket, follow these instructions closely:

Bees leave behind a stinger attached to a venom sac. Do not try to pull it out as this may release more venom; instead gently scrape it out with a blunt-edged object, such as a credit card or dull knife.
Wash the area carefully with soap and water. This should be continued several times a day until the skin is healed.
Apply a cold or ice pack, wrapped in cloth for a few minutes.
Apply a paste of baking soda and water and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
Take acetaminophen for pain.

Other remedies for pain and itching may include:

dabbing on a tiny amount of household ammonia.
Over-the-counter products which contain ammonia are also available for insect stings.

taking an over-the-counter antihistamine, if approved by your physician.
Be sure to follow dosage instructions for children

samok10
08-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Ok here goes....I was driving north on Broadway Ext in heavy traffic when a bee appeared on the button of my shirt. I stayed calm and mentioned to my passenger that we would need to pull over soon as a bee had just landed on my shirt. My passenger, however, did not remain calm at all! She was pretty scared! As soon as possible I exited Broadway and pulled over into the parking lot of Christie's Toy Box. Just as my car came to a stop, the bee stung me on the left breast. As we both jumped from the car, yelling and screaming, I grabbed my shirt and tore it open, pulled down my bra and jerked out the stinger! It was probably a very funny sight for folks driving along NW 63rd Street....to be occurring right in front of Christie's Toy Box! Maybe it reminded people of the movie Tommy Boy? Anyway....we survived and didn't wreck...but I'm not a big fan of bees today. I was really just trying to get stopped so I could politely help her (the bee) out of the jeep....oh well, she chose her death instead......

boat49
08-17-2005, 11:00 PM
I think you made that up!!!! Stuff like that never happens in real life.....Now tell us what REALLY happened.

samok10
08-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Gosh boat49...I wish my imagination was that good...but it really did happen. Thanks again for the remedies.

Karried
08-18-2005, 08:52 AM
You might try some Benadryl if it itches. I have been stung a few times in the car. Once on my lower back when I leaned back against the seat and it was there - lurking and planning a suicide attack, another time one flew in the window and stung me in the shoulder.

Subsequent stings are brutal. I got stung in the hand, no big deal. A week later, I got stung in the upper lip (The second time I had started freaking out and swatting it and running in circles when it was buzzing around because I had just been stung the week prior and it hurt!).

Long story short, I ended up in the emergency room. The venom had gone through my lymph nodes/system and the entire half of my face looked like a bright red balloon stretched to capacity and ready to burst. I think I had to have some sort of shot but it's all hazy. It was horrible and I seriously am worried about getting stung again - I need to get a bee sting kit. It's been about 13 years now so hopefully, I'll be okay.

dirtrider73068
08-19-2005, 11:45 AM
If you have already been stung and that was the day before the baking soda trick won't help that should be done right after you were stung. I would do what karried mentioned and get some benadryl, look at the ingredinets and make sur eyou don't get a otc pain killer with the same thing. More than likey cause of the time frame you will have to ride this one out, if its itching its just the bodys way of dealing with it and healing th earea, the knot is normal cause of the reaction to the sting. If it doesn't get any better with a few days I would have doc check it out.

Patrick
08-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Morphine works! lol! :spin:

workman45
08-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Yes it does, the pain is still there, but you don't care anymore. lol Talk about using an elephant gun to kill a gnat!

rxis
09-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Come to think of it, maybe I got stung of my toe. I was taking measurements of a run down playground big toy where some type of wasp made themselves home I assume. I'm rebuilding it for my daughter. Anyway, I was wearing sandals when they scared me off, and now I've got a knot that hasn't gone away for at least a week.

Karried
09-19-2005, 03:47 PM
rxis, you are having one bad week! I hope it gets better.....

rxis
09-24-2005, 12:48 PM
I don't think the bite was a big deal. It went away after swelling up. Yes, it was a bad week but its not over. I'm stuck in those weird times in our lives when things just get messy. Insurance company is messing around now so...bleh