View Full Version : Drone over Myriad Gardens

Pages : [1] 2

UnFrSaKn
06-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Eye In the Sky 6-5-2014 - CShortt (http://cshortt.smugmug.com/Myriad-Gardens/Eye-In-the-Sky-6-5-2014/i-zkGgmrC)

http://cshortt.smugmug.com/Myriad-Gardens/Eye-In-the-Sky-6-5-2014/i-FXGmSbS/0/X2/G0045853-X2.jpg

traxx
06-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Cool

Pete
06-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Here's a cropped version that shows the Preftakes block and the new Main Street Garage.

Note how bad the painted crosswalks look after only a couple of years. I know they are working on fixing this but at other intersections it's worse and has been that way for longer.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/preftakes060414.jpg

traxx
06-05-2014, 03:43 PM
The crosswalks should be inlaid with ivory from elephant tusks. That way it'll never fade.

Dustin
06-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Here's a cropped version that shows the Preftakes block and the new Main Street Garage.

Note how bad the painted crosswalks look after only a couple of years. I know they are working on fixing this but at other intersections it's worse and has been that way for longer.

I wish there was a better picture that shows CBD and the NW Expressway skyline together.

Pete
06-05-2014, 05:11 PM
These drones are getting pretty elaborate for a relatively reasonable price... They are going to raise all types of new privacy issues.

You can basically fly these anywhere from a pretty good distance. They work off GPS codes so you can be very precise, such as actually flying them through open windows.

As with all new technology, when something starts to be ubiquitous for the first time, there are always unanticipated repercussions.

Pete
06-05-2014, 05:13 PM
I wish there was a better picture that shows CBD and the NW Expressway skyline together.

It would be cool to fly one of these over Lake Hefner at just the right height and angle, because it's a natural high spot that provides a great vantage point of the Northwest and downtown skylines:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/114/277878553_42d277d084.jpg

poe
06-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Wonder how long it will be before Google offers Drone View?

Pete
06-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm sure there is a way to hook those babies up with cellular internet access and be able to control them from anywhere in the world.

I could sit here in California and send one out to take video and stills at my command. :)

BBatesokc
06-05-2014, 07:36 PM
I see an FAA letter in the photographers future.

Two local photos that I know of have received them in the past for using their drones for commercial purposes.

I think its B.S., but its still something you have to deal with.

I'm really wanting to bite the bullet and buy one soon.

Pete
06-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Ah, our fateful government at work:

FAA: Nationals did not have permission to use drone to photograph spring training
By The Associated Press March 17, 2014 - 09:26 am

WASHINGTON (AP) - A small, four-rotor drone hovered over Washington Nationals players for a few days during spring training in Florida last month, taking publicity photos impossible for a human photographer to capture.

This commercial drone took aerial photos of the building explosion in New York City recently. (AP photo)
But no one got the Federal Aviation Administration's permission first.

"No, we didn't get it cleared, but we don't get our pop flies cleared either and those go higher than this thing did," a team official said when contacted by The Associated Press.

The drone flights ceased the next day. The official wasn't authorized to speak publicly and asked not to be named.

The FAA bars commercial use of drones, no matter how seemingly benign. The lone exception is an oil company that has been granted permission to fly drones over the Arctic Ocean, and it took an act of Congress to win that concession.

FAA officials say rules to address the special safety challenges associated with unmanned aircraft need to be in place before they can share the sky with manned aircraft. The agency has worked on those regulations for the past decade and is still months and possibly years away from issuing final rules for small drones, which are defined as those weighing less than 55 pounds. Rules for larger drones are even further off.

But tempting technology and an eager marketplace are outrunning the aviation agency's best intentions. Photographers, real estate agents, moviemakers and others are hurrying to embrace the technology. Drones have been used to photograph the two apartment buildings that collapsed in New York City this past week and a car crash in Connecticut. The AP, in fact, is one of several news organizations studying the possible use of drones.

Unless FAA officials receive a complaint or chance upon a news story that mentions drone flights, they have little ability to find out about violations. The ban was further undercut this month when a federal judge dismissed the only fine the FAA has imposed on a commercial drone operator. The judge said the agency can't enforce regulations that don't exist.

The FAA, which contends it controls access to the national air space, has appealed.

The use of commercial drones, most of them small, is starting to spread to countries where authorities have decided the aircraft presents little threat if operators follow a few safety rules.

The drone industry and some members of Congress are worried the United States will be one of the last countries, rather than one of the first, to gain the economic benefits of the technology.

"We don't have the luxury of waiting another 20 years," said Paul McDuffee, vice president of drone-maker Insitu of Bingen, Wash., a subsidiary of Boeing. "This industry is exploding. It's getting to the point where it may end up happening with or without the FAA's blessing."

In Japan, the Yamaha Motor Company's RMAX helicopter drones have been spraying crops for 20 years. The radio-controlled drones weighing 140 pounds are cheaper than hiring a plane and are able to more precisely apply fertilizers and pesticides. They fly closer to the ground and their backwash enables the spray to reach the underside of leaves.

The helicopters went into use five years ago in South Korea and last year in Australia.

Television networks use drones to cover cricket matches in Australia. Zookal, a Sydney company that rents textbooks to college students, plans to begin delivering books via drones later this year. The United Arab Emirates has a project underway to see whether government documents like driver's licenses, identity cards and permits can be delivered using small drones.

In the United Kingdom, energy companies use drones to check the undersides of oil platforms for corrosion and repairs, and real estate agents use them to shoot videos of pricey properties. In a publicity stunt last June, a Domino's Pizza franchise in the U.K. posted a YouTube video of a "DomiCopter" drone flying over fields, trees and homes to deliver two pizzas.

But when Lakemaid Beer tried to use a drone to deliver six-packs to ice fishermen on a frozen lake in Minnesota, the FAA grounded the brewskis.

Andreas Raptopoulous, CEO of Matternet in Menlo Park, Calif., predicts that in the near term, there will be more extensive use of drones in impoverished countries than in wealthier nations such as the U.S.

He sees a market for drones to deliver medicines and other critical, small packaged goods to the 1 billion people around the globe who don't have access to roads year-round.

Later this year, Matternet plans to start selling to government and aid organizations a package that includes a drone and two landing pads. On the return trip, the drones can carry blood samples bound for labs and other packages.

Germany's express delivery company Deutsche Post DHL is testing a "Paketkopter" drone that could be used to deliver small, urgently needed goods in hard-to-reach places. Facebook is in talks to buy Titan Aerospace, a maker of solar-powered drone-like satellites, to step up its efforts to provide Internet access to remote parts of the world.

There is also a strong business case for urban drones that can replace truck deliveries of single packages. "If you look at the economic footprint and CO2 emissions," Raptopoulous said, the drone "beats the truck hands down."

Worldwide sales of military and civilian drones will reach an estimated $89 billion over the next decade, according to the Teal Group, an aerospace research company in Fairfax, Va. The FAA estimates as many as 7,500 small commercial drones will be in use within five years once the necessary regulations are in place.

Jim Williams, head of the FAA's drone office, said writing rules for the U.S. is more complex than other nations. The U.S. has far more air traffic than anywhere else and a greater variety of aircraft, from hot air balloons and old-fashioned barnstormers to the most sophisticated airliners and military and business jets. At low altitudes, the concern is a small drone could collide with a helicopter or small plane flown by a recreational pilot.

"It's a different culture in the U.S. and Canada," Williams said in an interview. "People believe they have the right to just jump in their airplane and fly just like they do their car. ... We can't set up a system that puts any of those folks at risk."

Yet the FAA permits hobbyists to fly model aircraft that have so improved in technology that they're little different from small drones. The FAA has issued voluntary guidelines for hobbyists, including staying away from airports, flying no higher than 400 feet and staying within the line of sight of the operator.

"You could go off to the hobby shop, buy a little remote control helicopter and fly it to your heart's content," McDuffee said. "But if you hung a digital camera on that, took pictures of your neighbor's roof and sold those pictures to him or her, now you are in business and you're flying" an unmanned aircraft system.

Sean Cassidy, senior vice president at the Air Line Pilots Association, said he worries that commercial drone users will be less willing than hobbyists to abide by restrictions because of economic pressures.

Drones are "becoming so prevalent and affordable that something has to be done to make sure they're not being used in a reckless manner," he, said. "Even a fairly small (drone), if the person flying this thing is unaware of their surroundings ... there could be very dire consequences."

Read more: FAA: Nationals did not have permission to use drone to photograph spring training | WJLA.com (http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/03/faa-caps-did-not-have-permission-to-use-drone-to-photograph-spring-training-101225.html#ixzz33ospOyEF)
Follow us: @ABC7News on Twitter | WJLATV on Facebook

shawnw
06-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Looking forward to seeing the OKC Steet, um, SKY team around in the future.

Pete
06-06-2014, 01:11 PM
I wonder how the FAA would feel about a site like this using a drone for photography?

I suppose we could be considered a commercial use since we have run Google Ads.

But since we wouldn't be selling the photos directly, perhaps not.

shawnw
06-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Doubt there are any legit uses in their mind at this time, until they can track them. I think the issue is safety for other aircraft more than anything else. There have been a number of near misses between commercial aircraft and drones lately.

Pete
06-06-2014, 01:20 PM
^

But if we posted a bunch of drone photos, someone would report us and the FAA may be able to make us stop.

Their current official stance is that drones are banned for commercial use.

TaoMaas
06-06-2014, 01:33 PM
^

But if we posted a bunch of drone photos, someone would report us and the FAA may be able to make us stop.

I think the FAA is going to have a very hard time putting the genie back in the bottle. These things are selling like hotcakes to photographers and videographers.

shawnw
06-06-2014, 02:03 PM
If the FCC can manage invisible airwaves (e.g. fining people with pirate broadcasts), I suspect the FAA will find a way to manage very visible drones...

BBatesokc
06-06-2014, 02:45 PM
What we are going to see is a permitting situation and lots of rules and regulations.

All its going to take is a couple of highly publicized incidents where a drone pilot kills themselves or (more importantly) a 3rd party before the average person will not be able to fly one of these things in their neighborhood or park - and I'm inclined to feel rightly so.

Example: Horror as remote-control helicopter stunt pilot, 19, partially-decapitates himself with his aircraft after he lost control (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2413231/Roman-Pirozek-Jr-Man-decapitates-remote-control-helicopter.html)

Larger, professional RC helicopters and planes are dangerous, but their cost and difficulty in flying keep them out of the hands of most casual users.

Drones on the other hand are much easier to fly and the cost keeps going down while the cool factor keeps going up and up -- meaning lots of people who shouldn't be piloting them will.

You take a professional drone that can carry a camera and you have a powerful machine that is basically 4-8 sets of spinning machetes that can kill or disfigure someone in a split second.

Just this week we received an email from our HOA that someone in our neighborhood lost their quadcopter and to be on the lookout.

National parks have some pretty heft fines already for flying a drone ($5,000 or so) and up to 6 months in jail.

Mr. Cotter
06-06-2014, 02:46 PM
If you are operating one of the Sharper Image style "drones," it's likely a "model aircraft," as defined by the FAA. The Unmanned Aircraft System policy statement, which bars commercial use, kicks in at 400 feet.

The FAA is working on this, at the speed of government, mind you, but they are making progress.

Mr. Cotter
06-06-2014, 02:52 PM
^

Even if that would be considered commercial, once the photograph is taken, how do you distinguish a photo taken from a UAS from any other aerial photo?

TaoMaas
06-10-2014, 09:57 AM
If the FCC can manage invisible airwaves (e.g. fining people with pirate broadcasts), I suspect the FAA will find a way to manage very visible drones...

The problem is that people have been flying remote controlled aircraft for about a half century and the FAA couldn't have cared less about them. The only thing that has changed is the addition of cameras.

Mr. Cotter
06-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Due respect, there have been significant advancements beyond the addition of cameras to UAS. The FAA's policy on remote controlled aircraft hasn't changed, and is still permitted - even with a camera.

Jersey Boss
06-10-2014, 01:22 PM
If you are operating one of the Sharper Image style "drones," it's likely a "model aircraft," as defined by the FAA. The Unmanned Aircraft System policy statement, which bars commercial use, kicks in at 400 feet.

The FAA is working on this, at the speed of government, mind you, but they are making progress.

It appears that they were indeed working on this, and in a timely manner to boot.

FAA OKs Commercial Drone Flights Over Land - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/faa-oks-commercial-drone-flights-land-24068874)

bombermwc
06-12-2014, 07:58 AM
It is a tough job to come up with these rules, so don't hit the FAA too hard before you think about it. The have to consider all of the repercussions of what a flight means, and how to guide them...meaning:
If signal is lost, can the phone home autonomously avoid collisions with other craft?
Is 400 ft going to be sufficient to prevent interruption with other operations?
Should there be a recommendation to the FCC on signal frequency changes?
Is drone flying in a residential area considered invasion of privacy? The thing could hover at 400ft above your house and watch your kids swim in the pool...it's a different world some pervert could live in because of technology since they can just sit and hover while they do that.
In consideration of that, should there be limits on where the drone can fly?
Can they legally put those limits in place?
What do you do when everyone on the block flies their drone at the same time?
Does the noise become a factor in municipal code?

I'm just pulling some quick questions out of my rear, but only to show that there's a lot more to this than most people give credit. When I interned at the FAA in OKC several years ago, part of my job was digitizing the entire history of FAA (and the civil predecessor's) directive documentation held at the MMAC in OKC. I learned quite a bit about why a lot of those were created. It's not quite the same as what we're speaking of with drones, but I will say there's a lot more in-depth discussion and thought that goes into each one of these. They aren't always very progressive or future-thinking but they are a LOT more so now than they were in the early days...lol.

kelroy55
06-12-2014, 08:01 AM
The drone over Dallas has caused a bit of a stir, especially since it crashed on top of Jerry World and the staff had to go on top to get it.

Midtowner
06-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Law enforcement is going to be flying these things over private property attempting to locate marijuana. They're probably doing it already. Legal precedent is in their favor too.

CuatrodeMayo
06-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Law enforcement is going to be flying these things over private property attempting to locate marijuana. They're probably doing it already. Legal precedent is in their favor too.
From a legal standpoint, is there a remedy available?

Urbanized
06-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Don't grow weed?

BBatesokc
06-13-2014, 04:40 AM
Don't grow weed?

How is that a remedy to keep law enforcement from flying it over your property?

As stated in the original post "flying these things over private property attempting to locate marijuana."

Personally, I think police will abuse their access to these tools of surveillance. Not so much 'looking for weed' (basement, grow lights, drone free), but to simply watch those they have an agenda to try and make a case against.

kelroy55
06-13-2014, 06:30 AM
From a legal standpoint, is there a remedy available?

SAM's

bucfan1512
06-13-2014, 07:13 AM
How is that a remedy to keep law enforcement from flying it over your property?

As stated in the original post "flying these things over private property attempting to locate marijuana."

Personally, I think police will abuse their access to these tools of surveillance. Not so much 'looking for weed' (basement, grow lights, drone free), but to simply watch those they have an agenda to try and make a case against.

Well don't be to shocked if this is true. They can already fly around your neighborhood "looking for a criminal" and have full view of your yard from their helicopter. If drones really bug you though you can always move to this Colorado town that has issued hunting licenses for them!

Colorado Town Already Selling Out Of Drone Hunting Licenses Before Ordinance Vote (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/05/deer-trail-drone-hunting-licenses_n_3874814.html)

Romulack
06-13-2014, 07:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ix6nZTZt84

This guy also has a few videos over with Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, which resulted in his getting a call from the refuge law enforcement about it. I don't know what became of that, however.

CuatrodeMayo
06-13-2014, 10:02 AM
The question for me is: At what point do my rights to the airspace above my property end? Also, to what altitude does the FAA's jurisdiction descend to?

Obviously I don't have property rights to the area above my property at high altitude, because then every military & civilian aircraft would be trespassing my airspace. Similarly, small aircraft appear to have the right to pass above my property within a thousand feet or so. Where is the line? Is a helicopter hovering 500 feet above my house OK? How about a drone at 50 feet? I'm going to do some research on this.

HangryHippo
06-13-2014, 10:21 AM
I've had various people tell me to not worry because if I'm not doing anything wrong, I shouldn't have any reason to worry. But that really just doesn't cut it for me.

Pete
06-13-2014, 10:32 AM
The question for me is: At what point do my rights to the airspace above my property end? Also, to what altitude does the FAA's jurisdiction descend to?

Obviously I don't have property rights to the area above my property at high altitude, because then every military & civilian aircraft would be trespassing my airspace. Similarly, small aircraft appear to have the right to pass above my property within a thousand feet or so. Where is the line? Is a helicopter hovering 500 feet above my house OK? How about a drone at 50 feet? I'm going to do some research on this.

My understanding is that there are no regulations below the FAA controlled airspace (above 400 feet).

So, while a homeowner technically owns the airspace above their property, the FAA allows regulated use above that level.

Until they come out with their new law in 2015, I believe there are no existing laws to prohibit a non-commercial drone operator from flying over any property, as long as they were doing it safely.

Also, keep in mind that if someone wanted to photograph something on your property, they wouldn't have to fly over it. They could do it just as easily from the bordering properties, especially given the zoom capabilities on modern cameras. It's no different than taking photos from a tall building.

It will be interesting to see what the new law entails. And there may need to be some additional rules put into place regarding privacy in general.

Jersey Boss
06-13-2014, 10:39 AM
It would be outstanding if the AG would be as vigilant in protecting our 4th amendment rights as he does the 2nd or 10th.

Jersey Boss
06-13-2014, 10:41 AM
I believe a drone operator has to be a licensed pilot.

BBatesokc
06-13-2014, 10:49 AM
I believe a drone operator has to be a licensed pilot.

Nope. Anyone can buy and fly a drone.

My plane is to buy one from these people sometime this summer..... DJI Official Site | The Future of Possible (http://www.dji.com)

Jersey Boss
06-13-2014, 10:58 AM
Nope. Anyone can buy and fly a drone.

My plane is to buy one from these people sometime this summer..... DJI Official Site | The Future of Possible (http://www.dji.com)

Unmanned Aircraft (UAS) ? General FAQs (http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/uas_faq/#Qn3)

Are FAA issued pilot certificates required to operate civil UAS?

It depends on where you intend to operate, but in all cases you need to be additionally trained in all specific details of the UA being operated. 3

How long does the process take?

From our experience, depending on the complexity, from 2 months to 1 year.

Is a FAA issued pilot certificate required to operate civil UAS?

Yes. If the aircraft is issued an airworthiness certificate a pilot certificate is required.

That is from the FAA website.

Jersey Boss
06-13-2014, 11:00 AM
nm

Just the facts
06-13-2014, 11:09 AM
When did we start calling toy radio controlled airplanes drones? I have 3 drones in the garage.

Air Hogs - The Leader in Remote Control Vehicles (http://www.airhogs.com/)

Jersey Boss
06-13-2014, 11:22 AM
When did we start calling toy radio controlled airplanes drones? I have 3 drones in the garage.

Air Hogs - The Leader in Remote Control Vehicles (http://www.airhogs.com/)

I'm guessing that if your toy goes higher than 400 feet and into FAA territory you are in violation. Do you buzz cars that have only one occupant? (j/k)

BBatesokc
06-15-2014, 07:02 AM
Unmanned Aircraft (UAS) ? General FAQs (http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/uas_faq/#Qn3)

It depends on where you intend to operate, but in all cases you need to be additionally trained in all specific details of the UA being operated. 3

Yes. If the aircraft is issued an airworthiness certificate a pilot certificate is required.

FAA has no regulatory leverage below 700' (correct)? Though most people draw a 400' line because of an 'advisory' not an actual law.

If you're noncommercial and flying low, I don't believe there is even a license you can apply for is there?

However, local municipalities can still interpret their laws to regulate usage.

rezman
06-15-2014, 07:20 AM
If it becomes an an ongoing issue of drones flying over private residences, I anticipate hearing reports of them being shot down. Especially in the rural areas. I know I wouldn't like it.

stick47
06-16-2014, 05:28 AM

Air worthiness certificates aren't needed for single passenger aircraft under the weight of 254 pounds (FAR 103) so they surely aren't required for drones.

Jersey Boss
06-16-2014, 06:35 AM
I don't believe you can cite FAR 103 as it would conflict with rules also.

The General Operating and Flight Rules do not apply to ultralights (FAR §91.1). The pilot certification requirements of Part 61 do not apply, nor do the aircraft certification, registration or marking requirements (FAR §103.7). Since Part 91 doesn’t apply, the annual inspection requirements of Part 91.409(a) are inapplicable as well. Anyone can maintain or modify an ultralight. There are no maintenance certification requirements and Part 43 maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding and alteration regulations do not apply.
Ultralights can be sold as completed aircraft and don’t require an airworthiness certificate. But in order to be operated as ultralights, they must meet certain design and operating limitations. They must be “used or intended to be used for manned operation in the air by a single occupant” and “for recreation or sport purposes only.” They may not have an airworthiness certificate.
If powered, they can have any type or number of engines but must weight less than 254 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and certain safety devices. If un-powered, they must weigh less than 155 pounds. Their fuel capacity may not exceed five U.S. gallons. They may not be capable of more than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight, and the power-off stall speed may not exceed 24 knots calibrated airspeed.
Ultralights must be operated in uncontrolled airspace unless prior approval is given by air traffic control to enter certain controlled airspaces. They must be operated under daytime VFR conditions and not over populated or congested areas. Dual ultralight instructional flights can be given under a special exemption provided through the Experimental Aircraft Association.
Ultralights, LSAs and Kit Airplanes?What?s the Difference? (http://airportjournals.com/ultralights-lsas-and-kit-airplanes-whats-the-difference/)

BBatesokc
06-16-2014, 06:54 AM
I actually placed some calls Friday afternoon to make sure there were no restrictions before I spend about $4,600 on the drone i've picked out.

Was told by the manufacture and a local flying group that there is no licensing requirement for the drone class that I would be buying and that indeed the biggest concern is local city ordinances that are often very vague.

Only other concern would naturally be if I flew it for commercial purposes - which I have no plans to.

Pete
06-16-2014, 06:59 AM
I was asked to post this (not my comments):

For all practical purposes the FAA regulates and controls all airspace above the United States from the surface to 60,000 feet. There are various classes of airspaces and operating rules depending upon location, whether it is day or night, and weather conditions. It is rarely possible to make a blanket statement about any particulate location.

FAA regulates the operation of all registered aircraft in their airspace, whether registered in the US or elsewhere. They also regulate every pilot holding a certificate issued by the FAA or international authority. (This is how - for instance - an Air France 747 with French pilots can legally operate in & out of JFK. Some airlines, aircraft and pilots are specifically PROHIBITED from operating in the US.) RC aircraft, quadcopters, AR Parrots and the like ("drones" for purposes of this discussion), are not required to be registered with FAA, their operators are not required to be licensed by FAA, and their operation is not governed by FAA. If a drone operator did something to violate Federal Aviation Regulations, enforcement by FAA is impossible because the drone isn't registered and the pilot holds no certificate.

Generally speaking, aircraft may not be operated below 1,000 feet above the ground (AGL) over congested areas, or 500 feet AGL over non-congested areas, except when taking off or landing. The RC community adopted standards decades ago in which their aircraft were always within line of sight, below a maximum altitude 400' AGL, and away from airports. They placed personal identification in/on their aircraft, and purchased liability insurance in the event they caused injury or damage. The result is that airplane pilots and RC aircraft operators have flown for decades with minimal risk of conflict. I know the operator of the drone which captured the images in this thread, and he is a long-time member of the RC community who adheres to their standards. Contrary to statements in the thread, the FAA will not be investigating because his drone didn't violate any FARs, his drone isn't a registered aircraft, and he isn't a certificated pilot. I also am not aware of any municipal, state or federal laws or ordinances he violated, and this is what will make the next few years interesting.

I caution that the statements in post #39 are generally incorrect (you can buy a toy drone from Sharper Image, launch it directly from it's retail box with no training whatsoever, and not be in violation of any regulation or law that I know of). Information on the linked FAA UAS "General FAQs" page are mostly very broad, non-regulatory guidelines, and court rulings are more quickly defining the rules than FAA has been able to write them. One example has been the commercial use of drones where an operator can be paid to capture an image for a client.

BBatesokc
06-16-2014, 07:22 AM
Pete, there was allegedly a drone pilot cited in OKC (don't know if it was Oklahoma or Cleveland County) with a ticket under a wide interpretation of disturbing the peace. This was told to me when I placed my calls on Friday to get clarification. This is where I was cautioned about flying over special events, parks, etc.

Personally, I'm for regulation on many of the drones that are now widely available. I think you should have to get a license and insurance as these things can hurt or kill a person.

bombermwc
06-16-2014, 07:36 AM
Here's a good piece of advice to keep people out of trouble....if you have to think about whether it's ok to fly there, then don't. Stick to somewhere you would like a fly a RC airplane or a kite or something. There are places designated for RC flying and you do get the extra benefit (like a helicopter which they've had cameras for for decades), of having the ability to hover so a school playground works just like it would for a kite.

You wanna film your kids soccer match from 350' up, best check with the soccer club and city first. You wanna fly over the police station, well then get ready to get a ticket...they'll find a way to make it stick. Part of it is common sense. Don't be an idiot and you will save yourself a lot of trouble. It may not be as "cool" or interesting of places to fly, but it will also keep your butt clear of a ticket. Plat it safe until the guidelines come out that spell it out for you what you can and cannot do. There's no reason to give law enforcement (through the city) a reason to get you...they have better things to do anyway.

BBatesokc
06-16-2014, 07:51 AM
Here's a good piece of advice to keep people out of trouble....if you have to think about whether it's ok to fly there, then don't. Stick to somewhere you would like a fly a RC airplane or a kite or something. There are places designated for RC flying and you do get the extra benefit (like a helicopter which they've had cameras for for decades), of having the ability to hover so a school playground works just like it would for a kite.

You wanna film your kids soccer match from 350' up, best check with the soccer club and city first. You wanna fly over the police station, well then get ready to get a ticket...they'll find a way to make it stick. Part of it is common sense. Don't be an idiot and you will save yourself a lot of trouble. It may not be as "cool" or interesting of places to fly, but it will also keep your butt clear of a ticket. Plat it safe until the guidelines come out that spell it out for you what you can and cannot do. There's no reason to give law enforcement (through the city) a reason to get you...they have better things to do anyway.

Those common sense rules would have most likely prohibited the images above that were taken over the Myriad Gardens. Its going to get more complicated as more and more powerful drones are accessible to the general public. I realize the pilot above is very experienced but so are many drivers and pilots that crash much larger manned land and airborne vehicles.

Personally, I'm going to fly mine in the city once I become conformable with it. I'm also making sure my umbrella policy will cover any damage that might happen.

I'd love a local vo-tech to come out with a comprehensive safety and operators class for drone piloting.

Anonymous.
06-16-2014, 08:18 AM
All this recent "drone" flack is interesting.

Now that the technology allows easily mountable, streaming, and recording video and photography from cameras on them. Suddenly people care about RC helicopters and planes.

This is literally plastic and styrofoam quad copters fitted with light-weight go-pros or various camera opportunities. Calling all of these things "drones" is just media's terror-hype BS.

People seem to forget that they have zero expectation of privacy in public. IMO, the only thing that has any traction to limit these RC devices, is flying over residential backyards that are fenced etc.

Just the facts
06-16-2014, 08:24 AM
'drone' is to 'toy airplane' as 'action figure' is to 'doll'. Changing the name makes it socially acceptable to be played with. I have a model rocket which goes about 1,000' high. How many laws am I breaking when I launch it? Ooosp sorry, model rocket is now know as a VTHSLARV (Vertical Takoff High-Speed Ascension Low Altitude Reusable Vehicle).

Just the facts
06-16-2014, 08:55 AM
All this recent "drone" flack is interesting.

Now that the technology allows easily mountable, streaming, and recording video and photography from cameras on them. Suddenly people care about RC helicopters and planes.

This is literally plastic and styrofoam quad copters fitted with light-weight go-pros or various camera opportunities. Calling all of these things "drones" is just media's terror-hype BS.

People seem to forget that they have zero expectation of privacy in public. IMO, the only thing that has any traction to limit these RC devices, is flying over residential backyards that are fenced etc.

We need a 'like' multiplier button! If I attach a go-pro to a kite can I start calling it a teathered drone with altitude adjustment capabilites?

bucfan1512
06-16-2014, 08:57 AM
We need a 'like' multiplier button! If I attach a go-pro to a kite can I start calling it a teathered drone with altitude adjustment capabilites?

LOL, that would be a new classification for sure!

stick47
06-16-2014, 10:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV_uzwayEPU

rezman
06-16-2014, 11:07 AM
People seem to forget that they have zero expectation of privacy in public. IMO, the only thing that has any traction to limit these RC devices, is flying over residential backyards that are fenced etc.[/QUOTE]

I think that's the kicker right there. Around a downtown area, lake or park is one thing, but residences, and backyards, whether fenced or not, whether rural or not should be prohibited.

Just the facts
06-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Umm, there is no expectation of privacy in the backyard - fenced or not. In fact, your living room isn't considered private if you have the blinds open. If you think it is try pleasuring yourself in front of the window and see how fast the police cart you off.

Bellaboo
06-16-2014, 12:02 PM

I can see 'Billy Bob' blasting them out of the air with his shot gun as they fly over his backyard...lol

HangryHippo
06-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Umm, there is no expectation of privacy in the backyard - fenced or not. In fact, your living room isn't considered private if you have the blinds open. If you think it is try pleasuring yourself in front of the window and see how fast the police cart you off.

That's a hell of a way to suggest testing the limits of privacy. lol