View Full Version : Edmond Police Officer Acquitted in Felony Grand Larceny Trial

BBatesokc
06-04-2014, 09:05 PM
This will probably get only a brief mention in the news (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1760087659/Jury-selection-underway-in-ex-cop-s-larceny-trial) tonight or tomorrow (zero media at the trial), but this was yet another head-shaking trial that makes me wish that OKC had a dedicated court TV or Internet channel so the public could see what a mockery some cases truly are.
---
SUMMARY: After a drug raid by Edmond PD, the evidence was booked-in and included $8,000 in cash. The evidence clerk claims the money was missing when she did the inventory and an investigation was opened. Edmond PD immediately targeted a veteran officer with no disciplinary record and charged him with felony grand larceny (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=2722358&db=Oklahoma).
---
You read the initial reports and prosecution statements and you'd think "yep, another bad cop weeded out.... go get'm DA's office!"

However, I sat in on this trial because a friend was the defense lawyer and he told me how outrageous it was - and he was right.

An officer with a 15+ year career lost all that, his reputation, and tens of thousands of dollars over a vindictive prosecution by the Edmond Police Department and an over zealous Oklahoma County DA's office.

Literally, the only evidence presented was a surveillance video that doesn't show any illegal behavior. All it did showed was that the witnesses for the prosecution lied and that the defendant looked up at the cameras. Seriously, the prosecutor hung the entire case on the fact that the defendant looked guilty because as he passed under the security cameras he looked at them and - in his words - you don't look at security cameras unless you're up to something.

In fact, what was disclosed under oath was that Edmond PD has an incredibly lax'd protocol when it comes to booking in evidence. The evidence clerk testified that it was common for items on the evidence inventory to be missing after they had reportedly been turned in. So much so that when she noticed the $8,000 missing she admitted to waiting days before telling anyone because it wasn't unusual.

The jury literally only deliberated 15 minutes before coming back with a not guilty verdict.

Unfortunately I can't tell you how many ridiculous cases I've watched over the years. It would all be funny if it didn't cause real hardships for the defendants. Cases like this should be stopped by ethical DA's because they have to know they can't win at trial.

I'm all for 'letting a jury decide' when there is actual evidence. But when there is none, its simply a vindictive prosecution and a huge waste of tax dollars and devastating for the defendant.

Bunty
06-04-2014, 10:11 PM
So they move on with hardly any of the police heads or other legal authorities caring over what happened to the $8,000?

Plutonic Panda
06-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Wow.

kevinpate
06-05-2014, 02:33 AM
... you don't look at security cameras unless you're up to something.

I want to say pinning a case on nonsense like this surprises me. I really, really want to believe that.
But then, I want to believe in unicorns. That's gotten me no where either.

Plutonic Panda
06-05-2014, 02:44 AM
Btw.... I look at security cameras sometimes, but I try to be self-aware as well and prepared for anything I can be

BBatesokc
06-05-2014, 04:28 AM
Personally, I am of the opinion Edmond PD brass doesn't/didn't like Northcutt and neither do some/many of his fellow officers. They saw this as an easy way to fire him and disgrace him by making him a felon. Obviously the DA's office doesn't want to upset a department with an agenda and none of the three prosecutors had the ethical backbone to say "I don't know if he's guilty or not, but we certainly can't prove that he is guilty so we can't in good conscious move forward at this time with the case."

Now the DA can go to Edmond PD and say "Hey guys, I tried to do your dirty work. Don't be mad at me, I let it go to the jury and at least the guy paid over $50K for his defense, that's gotta hurt him a bit."

What was really infuriating was the fact that there were two others that certainly should have been considered as prime suspects that police admit they did nothing more than interview. The first was the inventory clerk. She is a citizen and not a police officer. There is no camera in the room where she accepts and re-inventories evidence. She admitted to not telling anyone the money was unaccounted for for 2-days and she had a bankruptcy filing in the recent past.

The second prime suspect should have been an officer that was actually in the room inventorying the money and admitted under oath he knew what locker the money was in and he knew how to jimmy the evidence locker and open a locked locker without a key.

Both of these people were used as star witnesses against the defendant.

They admitted that they were only interviewed about the theft and nothing more. The defendant however was interrogated and had his credit and bank records pulled - both showed nothing of any consequence.

If police and prosecutors are willing to do this to an officer of the law, one can only imagine what they are capable and willing to do against the average citizen.

Plutonic Panda
06-05-2014, 04:41 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for all you do and uncovering these things. I didn't know about this until I read this thread.

BBatesokc
06-05-2014, 04:44 AM
Oklahoma City County jury acquits former Edmond police officer of grand larceny | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-county-jury-acquits-former-edmond-police-officer-of-grand-larceny/article/4884530)

To put this part of the article in proper perspective - "Prosecutors relied heavily on surveillance footage taken inside the police department to make their case. Northcutt was seen on camera looking around the hallway and walking between rooms at the police station.

Prosecutors said he was looking for surveillance cameras and the opportunity to slip in and nab the cash."

Northcutt had a significant hand injury and was placed on light duty. For 9+ hours a day he was restricted to basically three windowless rooms in the police station with nothing to do. Naturally you can only do this so many days without having major cabin fever. He is basically walking into any room that other officers are in just so he can have someone to talk to.

What was also significant was officers testifying that Northcutt was in the room when the money was placed in a locker so he knew how much money and exactly where it was. Problem? The time stamped video actually showed that while Northcutt did walk into the room (with several other officers) he was not only not there when the money was placed in a locker, but that the officers who said he was lied.

BBatesokc
06-05-2014, 06:41 AM
I know I'm on my soapbox about this - but our 'justice' system is a real pet peeve of mine. I had to share something else that really disturbed me.

After closing arguments and the jury had been sent to deliberate and the attorneys were gathering their things, the judge came over and acknowledged me and sat down by me to chit-chat. While we were talking the prosecutors passed by. One of the prosecutors - an older lady - made a point to stop and comment that she really wished the judge would have allowed a certain piece of evidence into the case (the prosecutor was specific about this piece of evidence and it felt like the purpose was so that I and a member of media that had just stepped in to hear the end of closing would hear her comment and somehow prejudice us). I was already aware the prosecution wanted this evidence introduced but they also knew it was irrelevant and had zero chance of being allowed. She then followed up with disparaging remarks about the defendant's military career and made comments about his weight in the military. Quite frankly I was shocked, amazed and totally disheartened to see this sort of behavior from a prosecutor. It was inappropriate to be sharing in general and it certainly was not appropriate to be saying such things to a judge who still was presiding over the case at hand.

It was an odd moment to say the least and when the prosecutor only received blank stares in response to her outburst, she simply turned and walked away.

ABryant
06-05-2014, 07:17 AM
The article in the Oklahoman said that he want's to be reinstated to the Edmond PD. He should run like hell from that mess who put him through hell.

td25er
06-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Prosecutors just want to "get their guy" regardless of guilt.

BBatesokc
06-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Prosecutors just want to "get their guy" regardless of guilt.

I agree - that's why they are called 'prosecutors' and not 'seekers of justice.' But I've seen many cases where the evidence to convict simply wasn't there and prosecutors either drop their case or make an offer you can't refuse. They did neither in this case and there was no 'surprise defense' - there simply was no evidence to convict.

I think prosecutors often know they can punish someone even if they can't convict them. The guy was fired, publicly humiliated, and had to pay money he didn't have to defend himself against literally no evidence of guilt. Even though they lost, Edmond PD got exactly what they wanted. DA Prater nor the ADA's can say this wasnt personal - the actions by the female prosecutor during jury deliberations prove it was personal. It just really works me up when I see these sorts of things.

Anonymous.
06-05-2014, 08:36 AM
So is the 8k still missing?

The amount of dirt in some police departments and even reaching to the courthouses is incredible. And no one says a word.

BBatesokc
06-05-2014, 08:44 AM
So is the 8k still missing?

The amount of dirt in some police departments and even reaching to the courthouses is incredible. And no one says a word.

Yes. It was never recovered. I'm getting the paperwork on the raid that led to the money being seized. I'm told it was a botched raid - literally, the smell of a turkey burning in the oven was twisted and contorted into probable cause to enter the home because it smelled like a meth lab - I've smelled a meth lab, its nothing like burning turkey.

I've been told the money had to be returned to the owner and since it was missing - you and I paid it.

I have yet to confirm this, but I have at least the basics on decent to good authority.

Anonymous.
06-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Money was probably split among the LEOs that wanted Northcutt out. Nothing to see here, just another police department in America.

Midtowner
06-05-2014, 09:24 AM
My experience with the Oklahoma County DA under Prater has been overall positive. I have one set for jury trial right now which is utterly ridiculous, there's no credible evidence and tons of credible evidence to say he wasn't where he was accused of being.

BBatesokc
06-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Really hard for me to judge Prater's overall job performance considering they do 15,000-19,000 cases a year and I only zero in on maybe a few hundred.

Personally and professionally I like him. However, I never let that filter my opinion when I have one.

jerrywall
06-05-2014, 09:56 AM
This is a problem with our justice system, when both the DA and the police find their roles are to get a conviction, not convict the guilty. It's not serve and protect, it's more, scorecard and wins.

kelroy55
06-05-2014, 10:14 AM
The article in the Oklahoman said that he want's to be reinstated to the Edmond PD. He should run like hell from that mess who put him through hell.

He should sue the hell out of them and then ask for his job back :)

Bunty
06-05-2014, 10:20 AM
I reckon they need more cameras on the acceptance clerk everywhere the evidence is handled or accounted for but not tell the clerk about it.

td25er
06-05-2014, 01:07 PM
This is a problem with our justice system, when both the DA and the police find their roles are to get a conviction, not convict the guilty. It's not serve and protect, it's more, scorecard and wins.

Bingo.

kevinpate
06-05-2014, 01:54 PM
I remember when one could speak of the presumption of innocence, and most folks present both understood, and respected, the concept.

I miss those days. I really do. And while I don't think it's actually fair to blame the song Macarena for frying out the brains of the masses, the timing does sort of fit.

BBatesokc
06-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Former Edmond cop wants job back, more than $1 million in damages (http://www.koco.com/news/former-edmond-cop-wants-job-back-more-than-1-million-in-damages/26427934#!XqlDg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKChTwMWdc