View Full Version : Tulsa still hates you....

adaniel
06-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Just in case you forget.

Michael Overall: Tulsa isn't so jealous of OKC anymore - Tulsa World: Michaeloverall (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/columnists/michaeloverall/michael-overall-tulsa-isn-t-so-jealous-of-okc-anymore/article_1335a05b-a29e-54b4-9201-4747ac1a74b1.html)

Richard at Remax
06-02-2014, 03:56 PM
"I'd rather keep the parking crater." SMH

Pete
06-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Wow, a paid member of the Tulsa World staff actually wrote this?

First came that glorified ditch in Bricktown, where tourists are supposed to be impressed by a boat ride that takes them a block and a half.

It was the most ridiculous thing in town until a giant, metal chicken claw showed up near a pedestrian bridge, dangling precariously over the eastbound lanes of Interstate 40.

I’m not sure exactly what it is, but one theory is that a tornado blew over a cellphone tower. And instead of cleaning it up, officials decided to call it “public art.”

But that’s not even the ugliest part of downtown Oklahoma City anymore. The skyline is dominated — no, not just dominated; overwhelmed — by the 844-foot Devon Tower.

An eyesore for miles around, it’s the prairie’s most conspicuous display of overcompensation, making every other building look like it came from a toy train set.

Perhaps it was supposed to be funny because he closed with this:

My family spent Memorial Day weekend in Oklahoma City, where we took advantage of the fine dining, world-class museums and, most importantly, the outlet mall.

Jake
06-02-2014, 04:21 PM
This is stupid. I like both cities.

gopokes88
06-02-2014, 04:22 PM
That certainly isn't the tone of someone who claims they don't have pen*s envy.

adaniel
06-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Perhaps it was supposed to be funny because he closed with this:

That last line makes me think this was a (very poor) attempt at humor and not serious.

As many issues as I have with the Oklahoman editorial stances, you would never see garbage like this pointed towards Tulsa, even if it is a joke. Where does the hate come from?

Teo9969
06-02-2014, 06:28 PM
What's this "you" talk…

bluedogok
06-02-2014, 08:01 PM
That last line makes me think this was a (very poor) attempt at humor and not serious.

As many issues as I have with the Oklahoman editorial stances, you would never see garbage like this pointed towards Tulsa, even if it is a joke. Where does the hate come from?
It's the same thing with Houston-Dallas, I rarely heard people in Dallas disparaging Houston but it is non-stop the other way in Houston. I just don't get it.

Plutonic Panda
06-02-2014, 09:16 PM
It's the same thing with Houston-Dallas, I rarely heard people in Dallas disparaging Houston but it is non-stop the other way in Houston. I just don't get it.That's because people in the dominant city don't really much to worry about. I see and hear people in Tulsa talking smack about OKC but not many people in OKC talking smack about Tulsa- except me of course ;)

Only because it bothers me when people talk crap about my city :)

I will say that article was highly unprofessional and I wouldn't even like it if someone at NewsOk wrote something like that about Tulsa. It is uncalled for and the author should be punished or fired.

Tigerguy
06-02-2014, 11:27 PM
I suppose getting everything first can only get you so far. :Smiley122

MWCGuy
06-03-2014, 12:04 AM
I would love to see the day the two cities could live together as friendly neighbors. I think the state should work to have a rail system that moves commuters from Downtown Tulsa to Downtown OKC. Both are very nice cities with great resources. I recently visited the areas around St. Francis Hospital and St. John Medical Center. I was very impressed with the urban layout around St. John and the suburban layout around St. Francis. I wish OKC could revamp 240 to look like I-44/Skelly Drive. I think it would be cool to see people living in OKC and working and Tulsa and vice versa.

betts
06-03-2014, 05:57 AM
I must say that article generates nothing more than a yawn.

bombermwc
06-03-2014, 07:49 AM
The comments from the readers seem to show the citizens of Tulsa don't share his misguided opinion. Sounds to me like the yippy dog biting at the larger dogs legs to try and get noticed. As betts said....yawn.

OKCretro
06-03-2014, 07:50 AM
all you need to know about Tulsa is this...

the biggest night of the year is the 1 okc thunder exhibition game. Seriously people leave work early to go get dinner before the game. For an exhibition game!!! Got look on stubhub, people are selling loud city seats for $150 each, for an exhibition game.

and good luck on landing the Olympics.

Jeepnokc
06-03-2014, 08:33 AM
They call this reporting? Not even sure it rises to the level of an opinion piece. I thought reporting included some investigation and facts. Any stats on out of town visitors from Tulsa or vice versa? Poll or survey results? This article could have been written by a 5th grader and hopefully was just a last minute article to fill space.

hoya
06-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Michael Overall -- the Jenni Carlson of Tulsa.

Bellaboo
06-03-2014, 10:49 AM
I think it's just a spoof.... more on Tulsa for not having something equal or close to Devon Tower, the Canal and the Skydance Bridge. Along with the Outlet mall.

MadMonk
06-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Tulsa is like your younger sibling who tries too hard to be better than you at everything, but instead ends up looking pathetic for the attempt; never realizing that they would easily stand tall on their own merits if they would just stop being a hyper-competitive fool. :rolleyes:

adaniel
06-03-2014, 12:48 PM
The comments from the readers seem to show the citizens of Tulsa don't share his misguided opinion. Sounds to me like the yippy dog biting at the larger dogs legs to try and get noticed. As betts said....yawn.

While most people on the street in Tulsa could probably care less about us, I've learned through business contacts that ripping on OKC is a favorite pastime of the moneyed elite and high up business types living in Maple Ride, Southern Hills, etc. and other affluent pockets.

A couple of years ago I attended a TAPL meeting up there and one of the speakers was plugging a website called Tulsa Energy Now. Most of it promoted Tulsa's energy industry (fair enough) but there was one report buried in there that discussed very little about the industry and more or less how awesome Tulsa is compared to OKC (http://tulsaenergynow.com/page_images/1361897162.pdf). It's very odd and kinda small-townish. Here is a write up one a local energy blog did: Tulsa Boasts of Stronger Energy Industry than Oklahoma City?s | OK Energy Today (http://okenergytoday.com/?p=688).
This quote pretty much explains OKC's reaction:

Oklahoma City offers no such energy website and it’s doubtful one would be created, according to a spokeswoman at city hall. “We would never ever do something like this—what’s their goal?”

Interestingly enough, the website for Tulsa Energy Now hasn't been updated since the fall of 2013, about the same time OKC landed GE and Baker Hughes.

I also have it on good record through a friend up there, although unconfirmed , that Tulsa economic development officials routinely trash OKC to prospective new retailers. Like I said this is second hand knowlege so take it for what its worth.

It's interesting but a little unfortunate as I've always liked Tulsa. A little rivalry is always fun (Dallas-Houston, KC-STL are some of the more notable ones in this region) But given how rural interests are running roughshot over this state, there needs to be some level of unity among the states two biggest cities.

Dubya61
06-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Interestingly enough, the website for Tulsa Energy Now hasn't been updated since the fall of 2013, about the same time OKC landed GE and Baker Hughes.

I can almost picture it now. Tulsa BigWig A: "How can we lure GE here for their big research site?"
Tulsa BigWig B: "I dunno. How 'bout a website saying we're better than OKC?"
Tulsa BigWig A: "Yeah. That oughta do it."

PhiAlpha
06-03-2014, 01:58 PM
While most people on the street in Tulsa could probably care less about us, I've learned through business contacts that ripping on OKC is a favorite pastime of the moneyed elite and high up business types living in Maple Ride, Southern Hills, etc. and other affluent pockets.

A couple of years ago I attended a TAPL meeting up there and one of the speakers was plugging a website called Tulsa Energy Now. Most of it promoted Tulsa's energy industry (fair enough) but there was one report buried in there that discussed very little about the industry and more or less how awesome Tulsa is compared to OKC (http://tulsaenergynow.com/page_images/1361897162.pdf). It's very odd and kinda small-townish. Here is a write up one a local energy blog did: Tulsa Boasts of Stronger Energy Industry than Oklahoma City?s | OK Energy Today (http://okenergytoday.com/?p=688).
This quote pretty much explains OKC's reaction:

I also have it on good record through a friend up there, although unconfirmed , that Tulsa economic development officials routinely trash OKC to prospective new retailers. Like I said this is second hand knowlege so take it for what its worth.

It's interesting but a little unfortunate as I've always liked Tulsa. A little rivalry is always fun (Dallas-Houston, KC-STL are some of the more notable ones in this region) But given how rural interests are running roughshot over this state, there needs to be some level of unity among the states two biggest cities.

If you don't have enough positive attributes to promote yourself over a competitor, generally you resort to trashing them. Kind of funny that they have to try so hard.

I enjoy my trips to Tulsa as well, hopefully they will get over themselves eventually.

Stew
06-03-2014, 02:37 PM
LOL, that was pretty funny.

Mel
08-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Tulsa County Jail was on MSNBC's "Lockup" last night. Their jail is nicer.