View Full Version : Little River Disc Golf Course

bucfan1512
06-02-2014, 08:52 AM
I know a lot of time and effort went into getting this course up and running. And after the tornado last year several companies and people have pledged to help rebuild it. Has anyone heard news on the topic?

jn1780
06-02-2014, 09:42 AM
I know a lot of time and effort went into getting this course up and running. And after the tornado last year several companies and people have pledged to help rebuild it. Has anyone heard news on the topic?

I think I saw something on the Moore website that disc golf wasn't in their rebuilding plans for Little River park.

Don't hold me to that though.

bucfan1512
06-02-2014, 10:19 AM
From what I was able to dig up it was in the original plan about improving the parks in Moore but was not on the revamped one. I know a petition acheived 1500 signatures of people that would like the previous one to be rebuilt. But after that the trail went cold as of last September.

bucfan1512
06-02-2014, 10:21 AM
I was able to find this after posting to the Little River Park Disc Golf Course Facebook page. "Little River Park DGC The city of Moore has absolutely refused to give us Little River Park back as Devon has given them a large sum of money and there is a senior retirement community going in on the south side of the park. Disc Golf is outlined in the 2022 path to excellence and was voted on by the focus groups so we will have to see if Moore will honor their agreement and the bond issue with the master parks plan. In the mean time Moore Disc Golf Association is looking for land to purchase/lease or get permission to use for a new course. The rebuild has been funded and we are simply waiting for the appropriate piece of land."

Below was apparently the plan before the the tornadp

Jesseda
06-05-2014, 06:16 AM
A park and rec employee told me the disc golf course will reopen at Buck Thomas Park in the near future.

bucfan1512
06-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Sadly the course going in at Buck Thomas is going to be a 9 hole course designed for kids.

Jesseda
06-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Sadly the course going in at Buck Thomas is going to be a 9 hole course designed for kids.

WOW :( I know at little river park they worked hard on that disc course, doesn't make any sense that they will not bring it back or at least give enough space at buck Thomas for it, Buck Thomas park has room for it I wonder whats the deal

bucfan1512
06-05-2014, 09:21 AM
It seems so older walkers in the area complained about them being there. They were saying a park is somewhere you can bring a family not a competitive sport. Which is strange since most of the course was hidden in the woods on land that no one used. One lady apparently approached them and asked if they paid taxes in Moore as if this should stop them from using the park. Finally apparently they were taking up all of the parking spaces in the park and people didn't like that. Not sure how you can complain about that though if your driving to that park since there are so many others just like it for walkers.

Jesseda
06-05-2014, 09:48 AM
It seems so older walkers in the area complained about them being there. They were saying a park is somewhere you can bring a family not a competitive sport. Which is strange since most of the course was hidden in the woods on land that no one used. One lady apparently approached them and asked if they paid taxes in Moore as if this should stop them from using the park. Finally apparently they were taking up all of the parking spaces in the park and people didn't like that. Not sure how you can complain about that though if your driving to that park since there are so many others just like it for walkers.

how sad. Then I just don't understand why Buck Thomas park wouldn't be the best fit for disc. The whole park is pretty much a sports park and there is plenty of space between the two softball complexes. (softball fields) and the wooded area between them as well also the area around the fishing pond to behind the watertower etc , plenty of parking etc. It doesn't have walking trails in that area so it wouldn't upset the walkers and the park has plenty of parking most of the time

bucfan1512
06-05-2014, 10:18 AM
This issue they have run into apparently is that the area being offered is either field behind KOMA which they said could support a 9 hole putter course or a small section of buck thomas that would support 3-5 holes. The areas north of the last softball field and east of the water tower are sadly private land and cannot be used.