View Full Version : Peoria Avenue BRT

Spartan
06-01-2014, 03:53 PM
For lack of any activity in this forum, I thought I'd dig up some of what's happening in Tulsa and came across this BRT vision. Evidently awaiting a taxpayer vote?

http://www.fastforwardplan.org/portals/0/Documents/Peoria/Peoria_BRT_1-page_map.jpg

G.Walker
06-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Tulsa Transit board OKs fare increases, service cuts - Government - TulsaWorld (http://m.tulsaworld.com/news/government/tulsa-transit-board-oks-fare-increases-service-cuts/article_fa1ba54e-26a4-512e-8a20-cd5660c4bcc6.html?mode=jqm)

BG918
06-01-2014, 04:58 PM
The BRT is part of the transportation package approved by voters earlier this year. Work will begin on it in July but it won't be operational for several years due to lack of funding to Tulsa Transit. Unfortunate as I think this would be pretty successful as Oklahoma's first BRT line.

Spartan
06-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Except brt is a horribly conceived idea for starters.

BG918
06-01-2014, 05:21 PM
I honestly don't know much about BRT except that it's an enhanced bus service with more frequency and fewer stops and the shelters are larger/nicer with next bus info/ticket machines. I know in Colorado they have a new BRT line in Ft Collins that has been successful and they are planning one between Denver and Boulder. Are you not familiar with the Euclid Corridor? Pros and cons?

Spartan
06-01-2014, 06:04 PM
I live the Euclid Corridor every day and I apologize on behalf of Cleveland for the FTA-scrubbed overly-sunny story the rest of the nation gets subjected to.

Cleveland was already doing Euclid Avenue development long before BRT. The equivalent would be if the OKC Boulevard is retroactively credited for downtown OKC's revitalization just to end a political slugfest. The service aspect of BRT is a joke and we forgot all about it bc we got the federally funded streetscape.

The trope about Euclid Ave BRT spurring $6B in redevelopment is a joke bc most of it was already planned. The Cleveland Clinic for example has been located along Euclid for a hundred years, is the largest employer in Ohio, and has always been spending that kind of money on facilities to host wealthy Sheikhs.

Euclid Ave was "America's Main Street" that the Rockefellers built. Ohio is the #2 state for the historic rehabilitation tax credit, most of which is in Cleveland or its inner suburbs. This thread is about Tulsa BRT but I just say all of this to offer the bigger picture to back up the local viewpoint. The bottom line is the Euclid Corridor was a twenty-year political slugfest bc they wanted a new LRT line (that would've complimented the other three) and finally gave in and got BRT.